After a Big Win, Revisiting a Question

Trust me, this poll will not make a regular appearance here each week. But I promised a long-time reader that since I polled fans after a bad loss I would be fair and post the same poll after a quality victory. And beating Clemson, one of the preseason favorites in the Atlantic Division, counts as a quality victory. So after struggling through the first four games of the season, Maryland now sits atop the Atlantic Division standings.

You know what The Fridge says, if critics don’t want him, he’ll go somewhere else. Let’s see if some have changed their tune about Coach Ralph Friedgen after the Clemson victory.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 5, 2009; 9:29 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Links
Next: Ralph, the Riverboat Gambler

Comments

I find it discouraging that the results vary so much dependant on wins and losses. If you voted for Ralph to be gone after last week then stick to your guns and your answer.

Definition of Fairweather:

2. Present and dependable only in good times

Posted by: fushezzi | October 5, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

He should return only because it would cost too much to get rid of him. His arrogance in thinking he could be offensive coordinator/head coach/recruiting coordinator has now caught up with him. The O-line has marginal talent and no depth. All but one linemen that Fridge recruited in 2006-07 have left the program...this occurred when Fridge was head coach/offensive coordinator/recruiting coordinator.

Do I get a vote on whether Debbie Yow should go?

Posted by: larry31 | October 5, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I should hope that Mr Prisbell will find space in his columns and blogs to remind the 'Terp Nation' of Coach Friedgen's exceptional history as a coach. For example, as offense coordinator he helped to turn GA Tech into a national champion under Bobby Ross. Later, he coordinated the San Diego Chargers to the super bowl. And his fantastic first three seasons as head coach in College Park weren't an accident nor the residue of Vanderlinden's tenure. Going after the coaches when games don't turn out as one has hoped is the lowest form of support; it's nothing more than mob rule.

Posted by: AncientTerp | October 5, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I hope Prisbell will find space in his columns and blogs to point out that 70% of Terps fans want Fridge to stay as MD's coach next year.

Thanks for posting the poll.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 5, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm not calling for Fiedgen's resignation, but if Maryland would've beaten Cal, Rutgers, and MTSU, we wouldn't be discussing Friedgen's future. Beating Clemson on Saturday doesn't change anything, unless the Terps keep on winning. The Fridge is still on the seat.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 5, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I've never wanted either Gary or Ralph gone. NEVER

What I do WANT is accountability. If the athletic department puts on a dog and pony show about how, as an alumnus, I should have pride in Maryland sports, I take it to mean that I have some ownership.

And having ownership means giving the team all the support it needs, IN FULL KNOWLEDGE of the material facts. If basketball recruiting sucks, I WANT TO KNOW about it. If there is a reason the football team can't beat a mid-major, I WANT TO KNOW about it. If the AD is a back-stabbing machinating pol who is throwing a hall-of-fame coach under the bus, I WANT TO KNOW about it.

If I want to shell out money every weekend for the "privilege" of giving out blind loyalty to a bunch of hucksters, there's a church on every street corner.

Posted by: mabkhar | October 5, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious. One week ago, 65% wanted Friedgen gone, now 70% want him to stay. How fickle are these people? The Fridge is the only reason you even read this blog. He is the only UMd football coach in the past 30 years with a winning record. Fusheez: Good job pointing out the definition of 'Fairweather'.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 5, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

This whole season I have been saying Ralph deserves at least through 2010 before people even begin to talk about promoting Franklin early. And after the Rutgers loss, I was leaning toward a change after 2010, pending that season's results.

For all the "mediocrity" talk, we have challenged for the division title two of the last three seasons, and challenged for the division or conference in five of eight of Ralph's full seasons as head coach.

Everyone expected this to be a down year. We lost 31 scholarship players and knew we were thin on both lines. Some of it was bad luck (transfers, flunkies, etc), some bad management (recruiting, talent evaluation). But going from a game away from the ACC Championship Game in 2008 to firing Friedgen mid- or postseason in 2009 would be a raw deal for the guy who almost single-handedly resuscitated this program nine years ago.

If we finish this year poorly and don't show significant improvement next season, then so be it. It will be time to have those discussions. For the time being though, support the team, win or lose. Especially since this season is (as it was last week and the week before) far from over.

Posted by: jrchris | October 5, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse