Brown: 'We Have Come a Long Way'

First-year defensive coordinator Don Brown talked at length about the progress of the defense Tuesday night. It has come along way since that debacle in Berkeley, Calif., on Sept. 5 against California, a 52-13 loss. The defense started playing well a few weeks ago, but it had trouble finishing games. Then it made a strong statement Saturday by holding Clemson to 71 yards in the second half and making three key stops late in the fourth quarter to preserve a 24-21 victory.

When Maryland’s defense was enduring significant struggles early in the season, “it woke me up to the fact that we were in infantile stages at that point,” Brown said. “The way the schedule has played out. We had the Cal game, then an option team in James Madison. Then four wide receivers in Middle Tennessee, throw it all over the lot. Then Rutgers, bang you around, two tight ends, get into some pro-style and throw it around. And then last week kind of a combination of big physical football with a tremendous running back and wide receiver.

“Through it all we are starting to figure out who we are and what we can do well and kind of get comfortable in our own skin at the same time. We have come a long way. Our kids have worked extremely hard and were very disappointed with the start, but they have continued to grind it all. If you stay the course, usually good things would turn and that is what happened.”

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 7, 2009; 2:54 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: California, Middle Tennessee Struggling
Next: Poll: Heyward-Bey vs. Smith

Comments

For a second I thought Brown was talking about that Fat-Boy Slim single from years ago.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the ol' backup team, huh Poo? In case one has a bad year, you can just move to #2. And then if both are having a bad year, just say you are fed up, call for the firing of the head coaches and start researching a third team to root for.

That way you can go thru life having not really cared for any team.

Brilliant!

Posted by: fushezzi | October 7, 2009 2:47 PM

Actually Fush, the "other" team I root for, I've actually been rooting for since my childhood and maybe even before I became a young-Terps fan.

Ruh-Roh.

I know if I posted this "mystery" team, the flack I'd receive on here would be leaps and bounds above anything I'd had addressed towards me so far. Some people's heads would explode.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

There's no such thing as a fallback or backup team for me buddy.

Now, when/if the Terps and my other team meet, that does create an interesting situation in terms of who to root for.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Other than the Terps, who of course I follow avidly, I am partial to Michigan and NC State. Also like watching Hawai'i (the PC spelling). Oh yeah, Penn in the Ivy league. Do I follow them avidly, post on their boards, or even know who the key players are? Not really, except for Michigan's QB. And if they ever play the Terps I want to see them lose.

Why NC State? Valvano of course and our common rivals. But I love when the Terps beat them as well. And I found it hard to pay attention to college Football during the Krivak (and I was still in school for the beginning of his term) and Duffner years. I was excited when they go Vanderlinden based on what he did at Northwestern but y'all know how that went. Still went to the games during their tenures. But Friedgen made it worth watching, caring and enjoying again.

Which is why I sincerely hope he turns it around and returns to where we were earlier in the decade.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 7, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

...and Poopy, since when have YOU of all people been worried about receiving flack from this board?

btw - when I was a kid MD was winning with Clairborne who led directly to Ross. Since Lefty was here and the bball Terps were clearly more popular than the Bullets in those days (seriously...my dad and I walked up and bought tix to the 1978 and 1979 NBA finals at the Cap Center) they qualify as my childhood team. I lived in Ann Arbor for a few years as a kid and went to the games with Cub Scouts and such (and played "Hail to the Victors" on my violin for the school orchestra) which is why I am partial to the Wolverines.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 7, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HughGRection | October 7, 2009 5:59 PM
------------------

That's a good point Hugh. I'll reveal the other school I tend to root for at some point before the week is over.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, I think there may be two poopies on here. That's the last thing we need!

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Poopy McPoop's real name is Steve Wojciechowski, aka the Dook Dork from DC.

Posted by: H1Dynasty | October 7, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Poopy,

Look forward to hearing who it is. Now lets see if there is some commonality in the teams we despise. For me, UVA is and always will be the enemy. I respect Carolina and Duke and see them as merely the competition. I dislike all of the Florida teams and almost all players from Miami when they get to the pros or to pro wrestling - current Redskins excluded for my own hypocrisy's sake. Hate Penn State. Beginning to hate MTSU as well. When not playing MD, I do root for NC State, Wake, Va Tech, Ga Tech. Despise BC (who should not be in the ACC anyway), and Clemson. I do follow Georgetown basketball and went to their games back in the 80s with Ewing and such. I have no animosity towards them like others on this board. And yeah, I proudly jumped on the GMason bandwagon a few years ago when they made their run to the FF.

But MD has my heart and is the only team that gets my money. I am so looking forward to this season. Am certain there will be disappointements along the way, but will be shocked if we don't win 25 games or so. The loss of Burney is huge and I think the difference between a successful season and a deep run into March (we need four bigs that can deliver). I keep forgetting that Milbourne does have some size and speed and he may be that fourth big when needed (he did ok this year at 4) because I think of him as hands down the best 3 we have had since Walt Williams (certainly better than Miller, Mouton, NCM, and Hipp). If allowed to play in position, he could be better than Caron Butler was at UConn. This is assuming of course that the freshmen bigs are ready to play ACC ball and Dino keeps up his improvement.

My question remains to Barno - I really do not know much about Goins. What is your assessment on his abilities? Foot speed? Low post moves?

Regardless, I suspect we will have a great basketball season, and yes will somehow claw our way into a lower tier bowl game.

Wasn't Wojo coaching somewhere? Its amazing how much enmity white guys from Duke engender.

Apologies for the long rambling post and warm regards to all -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 8, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

How can Brown say the defense has come a long way? I beg to differ - The Maryland defense is last in the ACC in scoring defense and run defense, despite narrowly beating Clemson. This is not progress. Where was the defense the first 4 games? There is a tremendous amount of room for improvement here.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 8, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HughGRection | October 8, 2009 8:12 AM

Hugh, he played a grand total of 12 minutes last season in garbage time and took 1 shot on the season. I have no clue as to what his foot speed or low post abilities are. But given that he played less last year than Earl Badu in his worst season, I'd imagine he's not considered a threat to get real minutes this year.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 8, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 8, 2009 8:39 AM

The second half against Rutgers the defense came out and dominated--literally would not give up a yard--until late when things got out of hand thanks to turnovers on offense.

Then the Clemson game our defense held Clemson to what 6 punts, 2 missed field goals, and 2 turnovers? And they gave up what, 80 yards in the 2nd half?

How can you NOT say the defense has come a long way? They were as bad as it gets the first few games, and all of a sudden they come out and dominate Rutgers and Clemson.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 8, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, I think there may be two poopies on here. That's the last thing we need!

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 10:11 PM

It is kinda sad huh barno, that someone would go to the lengths to create a fake account in an attempt to impersonate me.

I am very flattered though.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 8, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Fake Poopy you are killing me! hahahaha!

Time to go rub one off to some Duke highlights. I'll be back in an hour.

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | October 8, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse