California, Middle Tennessee Struggling

It’s interesting. As the season progresses, you start to see which victories are really impressive and which losses perhaps looked worse at the time, etc. For example, California was expected to compete for a national title. The Golden Bears seemed to have all the pieces if quarterback Kevin Riley could get it together. They blasted Maryland, 52-13. Then this turned into the same old Cal team that has not been able to handle lofty expectations. California is 0-2 in the Pacific-10 after losses to Oregon and USC by a combined score of 72-6. Wow. Who would have imagined that?

Let’s take a look at Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders had looked like a decent team until last night. They beat Memphis, 31-14. And they beat Maryland, 32-31, in College Park. But the Blue Raiders weren’t really competitive last night at Troy, losing 31-7. Middle Tennessee was just 1 of 10 on third-down conversions at halftime. Does Maryland’s loss to the Blue Raiders look worse now?

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 7, 2009; 1:51 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Grobe: Last Season's Loss Was 'Embarrassing'
Next: Brown: 'We Have Come a Long Way'

Comments

Yes, MD's loss to MTSU looks much worse. Especially since during the few minutes I did watch last night, the announcer's kept harping about and how overrated the power conferences (are the ACC and BE really power conferences, c'mon now) are.

Great post on the last thread Barno. I expected quite the opposite last year - losing to Cal but thrashing MTSU and the Wahoos. Then again, I expected a win against MTSU this year and a beating from Clemson. We need to beat UVA this year. And given its been 6 of 8 vs. Wake, I will be surprised if MD does not pull this one out. I'll be even more surprised if we shut them out again.

Poopy - if there is a parade down Campus Dr. this year to celebrate the football team, I'll try to be there regardless of the record. Seriously, when was the last time MD had a parade? We won a few NCAAs last year in non-revenue sports - did they get one? All I know is that there were post-game riots for a while during the earlier part of this decade but even those seemed to (thankfully) die down.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 7, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that the previous losses don't look any worse because they were already terrible losses. We beat Cal last year, so why couldn't we have beaten them this year? MTSU was certainly beatable, but we still couldn't do it, even in College Park.

Look at it from another perspective: we managed to beat Clemson; yet, the win doesn't look any better because Clemson was clearly overrated--a familiar start for the Tigers.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 7, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

SirPelleas, actually this is an unfamiliar start for Clemson. With the exception of last year, their M.O. is to start off very strong and then collapse in the 2nd half. Same goes for basketball. They are chokers, plain and simple. Tony Romo must have gone to school there.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Point taken. Either way, they were overrated.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 7, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Drumroll!!!!!!!!

So my other favorite team is Duke. Yes, I know, pretty unbelievable right? Well, I became a Duke fan when they were dominating the college basketball landscape in the 90s. How awesome is that? A Duke fan who went to Maryland!

I rule!

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | October 7, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow...the biggest tool in cyberspace history is a Duke fan? Shocker!

Remind me, why are you on this blog again?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

LOL nice one. I wonder if Barno actually thought that was my other team?

You think so barno?