Charges Dropped Against J. Williams

UPDATED (8:55 p.m)

Both misdemeanor charges against Maryland freshman forward Jordan Williams were dropped Monday afternoon. The case against Williams, 18, and four other teenagers involved in an incident nearly two months ago in Williams's hometown of Torrington, Conn., is no longer pending and charges against all five eventually will be expunged from their respective records.

Connecticut Supervisory Assistant State's Attorney Devin Stilson nolled counts of assault in the third degree and breach of peace that had been brought against Williams stemming from his involvement in a fight between his girlfriend and another female the night of Aug. 8. Connecticut law mandates that nolled charges be open to the public for 13 months, at which point they will be permanently expunged.

"We're happy this has been resolved," Maryland Coach Gary Williams said in a statement. "Jordan is an outstanding person and a student-athlete who is a great representative of our basketball team."

Jordan Williams, listed at 6-foot-10 and 260 pounds, is expected to compete for playing time in the Terrapins' front court this season. Last year, Maryland relied on an undersize front court that consisted of 6-7 forwards Dave Neal and Landon Milbourne.

Since the start of school, Williams has participated in workouts and pickup games with other members of the men's basketball team at Comcast Center. He flew to Connecticut on Sept. 26 to turn himself in and was released on his own recognizance with the understanding that he would appear in court Monday.

The arraignment was rescheduled for Oct. 26 due to a scheduling conflict, but now no such hearing will be necessary.

Stilson "looked at all the cases and talked with all the parties involved and ultimately agreed that since they were all young kids and nobody had been in trouble before, nobody was really hurt and it was something where it was different versions of the story," said Bill Stevens, Williams's attorney. "But it certainly started with, for the most part, people there trying to keep a fight from happening, with the exception of the two girls who were fighting."

According to a police report, Williams and a friend left a graduation party near midnight on Aug. 8 and drove to Alvord Park in Torrington, Conn., where Williams's girlfriend and another female were meeting to fight. After the two females engaged and were wrestling on the ground, Williams pulled the other female off his girlfriend. At that point, the other female's brother approached Williams, having taken issue with Williams's involvement in the fight.

This is where accounts of the incident differ. The brother – names of the minors involved in the altercation were redacted from the report in accordance with state law – claimed Williams punched him in the face. Williams said, according to the report, that he and the brother were standing so close together that when Williams raised his hands he "accidentally struck (the brother) in the face with the back of his hand."

The brother sustained a cut to the inside of his mouth and a red mark on his face near his lower lip from the altercation with Williams, according to the report. The report said Williams suffered a small cut and bruise on the cheek under his left eye from an altercation with the female who had been fighting with his girlfriend.

"Kind of a strange set of circumstances, to say the least," Stevens said. "But I think it is a very fair disposition."

By Steve Yanda  |  October 5, 2009; 5:43 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: J. Williams Hearing Postponed
Next: Morning Links

Comments

Where is Poopy McIdiot to rescind his asinine demand that Williams be kicked out of school?

Posted by: MDfan2000 | October 5, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

This figured to be nothing but kids stuff. Glad the young man can put this behind him.

Posted by: shanks1 | October 6, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Phew. Still need another big and am not sure Goins is the answer. Hoping that Padgett and Williams can contribute right away and Dino continues his improvement (and has developed some low-post moves over the summer).

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 6, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MDfan2000 | October 5, 2009 8:05 PM
============================

Too bad all I said was:

"Where's Barno to defend this guy and defend Gary "The God" for recruiting him?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 28, 2009 2:08 PM"

Obviously someone doesn't have the best reading comprehension and yet said person is calling me an idiot.

Interesting no?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

The poopy idiot demands Williams be kicked out of school and then doesn't even rescind his stupid comments when the charges are dropped against Wiliams. He's too busy cracking jokes on the thread about Mr. Maryland passing away.

What a classless moron.

Posted by: brianxp | October 6, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Would love to see the post where I said he should be kicked out of school.

Tick tock boys and girls..........

And I wasn't cracking jokes, I was making a factually correct statement.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Maryland should kick Williams out of school. What a thug.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 3, 2009 3:23 PM

The Poop for brains apparently has done too many shrooms lately, he forgot what he wrote.

Posted by: brianxp | October 6, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Maryland should kick Williams out of school. What a thug.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 3, 2009 3:23 PM

Posted by: brianxp | October 6, 2009 4:38 PM

How bout you provide the actual link from the thread where I supposedly posted this?

Yeah that's what I thought. Has it really come to this for some of you all? Making up ficticious quotes and saying I made them?

I mean talk about sad.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Seriously brianxp, that's pretty sad that you would make up a quote and even a date and time for the made up quote that you attribute to me.

Again, as I said in my award acceptance speech a few days ago. I'm deeply honored that you and others would devote that much to me, even as much to make up a fake quote and attach it to me, in the hope that other posters will fall for your trap and "hate on" me for the quote, the same quote you simply just made up.

Man, my bookshelves aren't going to have enough room for all these awards you guys are gonna make me keep on accepting.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow...this is what it's come to. Poopy McIdiot can't even be man enough to take responsiblity for his own reckless comments and instead lies and blames others for making them up.

What a total loser this guy must be.

Posted by: MDfan2000 | October 6, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Again smart guy, show me where I said it. provide the link to the thread where this magical quote of mine appears.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Duh my name is uh Poopie and uh I'm vary smart. I say crazy things on internet and when proven wrong, I deny I ever said them and hope peeple will believe me...I am uh really fooling lot of people on here. Me smart.

Posted by: MDfan2000 | October 6, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Duh my name is uh mdfan and uh i'm so awesome. I make up wild allegations on the internet and attribute them to people whom Ii disagree with. When challenged to produce made-up allegations all I do is try to change the subject so I don't have to produce my made-up allegations in the hopes others won't catch onto my ruse.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse