Franklin: Turner gives us the best chance to win

I asked offensive coordinator James Franklin whether quarterback Chris Turner still gives Maryland the best chance to win, and Franklin said: “No doubt about it. If you look at practice, there is still a pretty good gap with Chris and Jamarr [Robinson], and that is no disrespect to Jamarr."

Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen is concerned that Turner may have “misconstrued” comments Friedgen made Sunday night, when he told reporters that if losing should continue he would need to start making plans for the future and play non-senior quarterbacks.

Turner sent Franklin a text Sunday asking if anything had changed with the quarterback position.

“I said, ‘No,’” Franklin said. “From everything I know, things are still the same. Every week we have planned on playing Jamarr [Robinson] based on how he practiced. We would like to get him in a game. I’ve wanted to get him in every single game.”

I talked to Turner’s father, John Turner, for a while Tuesday afternoon. On a Maryland message board, John Turner had made clear his disappointment with Friedgen’s comments Sunday.

When I asked John Turner on Tuesday about his feelings toward Friedgen, he said Friedgen's comments on Sunday “were probably taken out of context. I am just glad we understand what he meant to say.”

John Turner also said that both he and Friedgen are emotional and often respond in emotional ways – which is true.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 21, 2009; 10:11 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mosley intent on becoming bigger piece of Terps' puzzle
Next: NCAA targets third-party individuals in basketball recruiting

Comments

Best chance to win? Last time I checked, that's only been two times in six games. That means Terps only have a 30% chance to win with CT as QB. He has beeen too slow in his reads, delivering balls late, wide, high, etc........ rarely on target for a catch and run by a reciever that the WC offense requires. It's time for the Danny O'Brien era to start at Maryland.

Posted by: jhuterp | October 21, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Franklin is correct is stating that Turner starting gives Maryland the best chance to win now. However, the problem is that Franklin's play calling gives the Terps the best chance to lose!

Posted by: Russtinator | October 21, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I agree, it may be time to start playing Jamarr and the Freshmen. It can't hurt at this point.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 21, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

By the way:

Anyone out there know when and why Jin Soo Kim became Jin Soo Choi?

Just curious.

Posted by: larry31 | October 21, 2009 12:00 PM

According to a source close to the player, Jin Soo legally changed his last name to Choi in February, though all of the necessary documents were not completed until late May when he returned to South Korea following the end of Maryland's school year.

...

Choi's parents separated when he was an infant, and Choi was raised by his mother and stepfather, Ilsung Choi. According to the source, Jin Soo desired to acknowledge the impact his stepfather has had on his life, which prompted the last name change.

On another note you know things aren't too good in Terp-ville when the head coach and the QB's daddy are almost getting into it.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry-- I have been following college football literally my entire life. Grew up in SEC area, started my college at an SEC school, had a relative who coached at a couple of SEC schools..... I have never, ever, seen a parent's comments about a coach's comments appear in a newspaper.

As a parent, I get that Turner's dad has an opinion. As a football fan and season ticket holder, I don't think it matters.

It has no business being reported on.

Posted by: mcmelton | October 21, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

You have probably also never seen a coach in the SEC who cut the scholarship of a future Heisman Trophy finalist and have 4 losing seasons out of 6 and still keep their job. but you will here

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 21, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Russtinator | October 21, 2009 12:33 PM

Russ, you hit the nail on the head. Maybe we should give Jamarr a chance calling offensive plays.

Posted by: jrchris | October 21, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

In the SEC people actually show up to games and stay for entire 60 minutes. SEC fans also go to spring games and donate big money to support the program, win or lose. Don't expect SEC results when there is not an environment to support it, or pay for it.

I don't think a new QB will improve the blocking of the O-line.

I wonder how many people calling for a new coach belong to the MGN?

Posted by: garrett4 | October 22, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

not all the sec is the same. Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss. St (25% of the conference) all play in ACC size stadiums and probably have a smaller athletic endowments than MD.

Granted people come on Saturday (with the exception of Vandy) but they don't necessarily make it to the stadium when the team isn't doing well.

That said, I didn't say I expect SEC results. My point was that I have followed college football in arguably the most rabid fan environment, and the aspect of reporting on a daddy's hurt feelings would have seemed ridiculous even there.

Posted by: mcmelton | October 22, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"In the SEC people actually show up to games and stay for entire 60 minutes."

Apparently you weren't watching Tennesse games last year where half the stadium was empty by the third quarter.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | October 22, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse