Friedgen on Losing

Every once in a while, Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen will be in one of those moods where he looks back -- way back -- and puts some of his current adversity into a larger perspective. That happened Thursday:

“I come from a home where if you lost you didn’t eat dinner, lights were shut off and you went to bed,” Friedgen said. “I about got divorced in my first season. I was 3-8 at the Citadel. My wife didn’t know what the hell she just got into. Made it through that season and 36 more after that. After I had a child, it was a little different because when I came home she didn’t really care whether we won or lost. But my father did. My father was...he would have trouble today, but he would probably adapt. Old school, I guess you can say. Sometimes I am old school, too. I think maybe more of us should be old school.”

In team news, Lamar Young will start at left guard. Friedgen texted Young on Wednesday and said, “I need to see you as soon as possible.”

“He came in all worried and said, ‘What do you need to see me about?’ I said: ‘How many times have I had you in this office for bad things? I want to show you some good things. Yesterday, you had your best practice in your Maryland career.’ We went through all the plays and said, ‘This is how we want you to play.’ I said the test is can you do it now that I have patted you on the back. He didn’t have quite the same day Wednesday but it was not bad.”

Andrew Gonnella is expected to start at right guard.

“Sometimes you have to pick a lot of guys up,” Friedgen said, “because they are not getting a lot of love from a lot of places right now.”

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 2, 2009; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dee Liles Dismissed From Women's Hoops Team
Next: End 1st Quarter -- Clemson 10, Maryland 0

Comments

"G o d da m n it" is not obscene language in my book Poop, though it may be in yours. I'm assuming you were one of those dbags who complained to the university about the "Hey You Suck" and "We're gonna be the hell out of you and you" lyrics during Rock n Roll part II? Why would that not surprise me.

The day Poop makes a relevant comment is the day I retire from posting.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 4:17 PM

What I don't understand is why Poopy McPoopy keeps coming around here. Practically everyone on here despises the guy. He's not funny. He's not even close to witty. He makes the dumbest comments on every blog. He never makes any contributions other than to try to start stuff with Barno and a few others. Why is he even here? Is he that much of a loser that he's got nothing better to do with his time? (I know what the answer is, but I just wonder if he does)

My advice to Poopy McPoop is to find something else to do with your time/life. Nobody around here wants you to keep posting comments here. You're an idiot, which obviously is your thing. But please do yourself and all of us a favor and just GO AWAY!

Posted by: brianxp | October 2, 2009 4:32 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 3, 2009 3:59 AM | Report abuse

Brian, Barno,

I actually get a kick out of Poopy and at times find him original. Ok, not with his "obscene" comment. If he is our resident bad guy, then so be it.

I recall when I was at CP, I had two friends who we called the anti-fans. That is, until Doug Williams threw that touchdown pass to Didier in Superbowl XXII (to go up 35-10), they were certain the Redskins were going to lose and made fun of us who were certain they would win. Ok, they jumped back on board when DG ran that Punt return back in Chicago but were screaming "I told you so!" when Denver went up 10-0 (we have it on videotape - played it at their bachelor parties). Always were the same way and remain so in their support for MD to this day.

IF the Terps win big this season, I suspect Poopie will be on this board showing serious support.

With respect to all -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 2, 2009 4:50 PM

poopy is a tool but this is bad news for the Terps. We really could have used Burney.

We will not get much from the freshmen bigs.

Posted by: jpfterps | October 2, 2009 5:09 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 3, 2009 4:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm deeply honored to get have this much discussion devoted to myself. First, in accepting this award, I'd like to thank my parents. Moms, I love both of you. Second, I need to thank my agent, Lionel Hutz. You're earning your keep buddy-boy. I'd also like to thank Meryl Streep. You were great in "The River Wild". Finally, I wanna thank Jesus and Kanye West. Keep up the good fight, guys.

Sorry barno-boy, but I'm actually disappointed "PC"-types decided to stop singing "Rock & Roll Part 2" at school games. Lord knows what kids heard coming out of my mouth at various UMD events (not just basketball and football mind you, unlike you who seem to only support those 2 teams). Of course I was, at times, totally tripped out sitting 2nd row behind the basket (infront of the band) watching Terrence Morris or $tevie Franchi$e dunking in my face. Talk about a good trip.

Nah, I'm no Terp fan. Heavens to betsy I expect greatness from all of my University's sports teams. Losing football/basketball games to D-2 schools is totally acceptable, nothing to worry about there. Failing to capture strings of good recruits from very good football and basketball teams in the early 2000's, ah no big deal.

Same with the 'Skins, DCU, Bullets, Wiz, O's, if as a fan you don't expect greatness from the product you're rooting for, those in charge of said will see no reason to provide greatness. Same goes for Cookie-Crisp, Anchor Steam, or Cheese-It's (not to be confused with the horrible Cheese-Nips).

Oh well, to some, 8-4 records with a Papa John's Bowl win or a 20-11 record with a 2nd-round exit in the NCAA's is just fine-and-dandy.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 3, 2009 4:01 AM | Report abuse

About to head to the game...let me know if they say anything on tv about C.J Spiller and Kyle Parker being repeatedly woken up in the middle of the night last night by a crazed MD fan calling their hotel room.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 3, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

What are the odds that at some point, someone has had a restraining order against Barno. Who (and at what age) gets up in the middle of the night to call a hotel room?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 3, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you are my hero.

Posted by: MDfan2000 | October 3, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I have this strange feeling that Clemson won't be staying at the Bethesda Marriot next time. Go Terps!

Posted by: Barno1 | October 3, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Like I was saying about Poopy being original and entertaining...the post above has me AND my wife in stitches.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 3, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"Nah, I'm no Terp fan. Heavens to betsy I expect greatness from all of my University's sports teams. Losing football/basketball games to D-2 schools is totally acceptable, nothing to worry about there."

You might be a Terp fan, but apparently you don't know anything about college football. Division I FBS (formerly I-A) schools don't play Division II schools.

Posted by: jrchris | October 3, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

He thinks we lost to JMU and he thinks JMU is Division II. Two wrongs don't make a right, Poop!

Posted by: Barno1 | October 3, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse