Interesting Groh Quote on Torrey Smith

Colleague Zach Berman, our Virginia beat writer, passed along some quotes from Virginia Coach Al Groh’s news conference Monday. I found this one interesting about Maryland’s Torrey Smith:

Question: How familiar were you with Torrey Smith in high school and did you forsee him becoming the player he is now?

Groh: “Clearly if we forsaw him being the type of player that he is now, he would be returning kicks for Virginia. So we are not above admitting that there is a player that certainly has turned out to be superior to what many people thought , including ourselves. He’s --- regardless of what the circumstances were in the past – he is a superior college football player.”

So, what does everyone make of that quote? If find it interesting because it seems like, if Groh had identified Smith’s potential correctly in high school, he is saying there is no doubt Virginia would have beaten out Maryland for Smith.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 13, 2009; 10:06 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Links
Next: Campbell May Play

Comments

Wow. I'd say that's a pretty big jump to conclusion Eric and not at all what Groh meant.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Barno. But, Eric's not the only one who's made that conclusion. I think that that's how the quote reads, but not how Groh intended it.

Posted by: ICBomber | October 13, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Prisbell's interpretation is the exact same one I came to. Groh is assuming that he could have out-recruited Maryland for this particular player if he'd wanted him. Which strikes me as rather arrogant.

Posted by: pipkin42 | October 13, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Groh was admitting that Virginia made a mistake by overlooking him. Though, EP's interpretation could be correct.

It may sound arrogant, but seriously, there are lot of coaches that are out-recruiting Maryland.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 13, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Even if Groh really felt that UVA could out recruit MD for any particular player, he would not say that publicly. EP's just over-thinking an innocuous comment.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that's it barno, the media is out to get the Terps at any cost, even by making false assumptions about a player.

Yep, all the media's fault. Isn't that the same line of reasoning that occurs over at Redskins Park?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 13, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty clear he meant he could of recruited him to UVA if he felt like it. What else could it mean?

Posted by: restonhoops | October 13, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

This is how I read it:

Smith came onto VA's radar during the recruiting process and VA/Groh either decided not to recruit him or didn't make a hard push while recruiting him b/c they didn't foresee him being this good. I believe every D1 coach (esp a former NFL coach) thinks that if they recruit a home state player hard enough then they have the advantage in getting said player.

I did not read this as "if we wanted him we would've landed him b/c we can out-recruit UMD."

But obviously, Groh can't recruit worth s---

Posted by: fushezzi | October 13, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Another possibility is that neither school recruited him that hard, and Smith has surprised everyone with excellent play. If either team really wanted him badly, then they probably would have won that battle.

Posted by: RobHoo | October 13, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Good Lord, people. Why do any of you care what Groh says anyway.

Posted by: terpin | October 13, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 13, 2009 2:14 PM

Yeah that's it Poop, Prisbell's biggest fan is on here claiming that he is out to get the Terps at any cost. Cause that's exactly what you should take from my comment. Riiiight.

Still waiting for that long awaited day when you provide us all with a relevant thought.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny GROH was so arrogant about SMITH. I used to live in the E panhandle of WV 16yrs,and all my MOUNTAINEER "buddys" would constantly remind me of SLATON wanting to come to CP.
You never know about these fringe players,(2-3 star recruits),hell don't even know about 4-5 either,(mike jones)
At least the FRIDGE said the staff messed up on SLATON!!
I guess W/ all of GROHS SUPER BOWL RINGS from the JETS,shinning in his eyes,he forgot about SMITH. LOL,BIG TIME NFL HEAD COACH!!! GO TERPS!!!

Posted by: curtsterps | October 14, 2009 3:39 AM | Report abuse

The funny thing is Groh assumes that if TS stayed in state he would have recruited him to UVA.

Gee, I wonder what Beamer would have to say about that...

In the end, it doesn't matter. Shoulda, coulda, woulda don't win ball games, which is why Groh will be fired at season's end.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | October 14, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh please. Maryland beat out Penn State and Virginia Tech, both of which showed interest in Torrey Smith. How does Virginia usual fair in football recruiting against Virginia Tech...?

Posted by: jrchris | October 14, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse