Poll: Heyward-Bey vs. Smith

I predict this will be a close vote. Torrey Smith vs. Darrius Heyward-Bey. If you could only pick one to have in a Maryland uniform...

Heyward-Bey, of course, left a year early and was taken seventh in the NFL draft by the Oakland Raiders. Smith is second in the ACC in receiving yards per game and ranks second nationally in all-purpose yards.

Let’s look at Heyward-Bey’s first two years on the field and what Smith is on pace to do this season.

In 2006, DHB averaged 15.4 yards on 45 receptions. In 2007, DHB averaged 15.4 yards on 51 receptions.

In 2008, Smith averaged 14 yards on 24 catches. In 2009, Smith is averaging 21.4 yards on 21 receptions (Smith is on pace for 55 if Maryland plays 13 games).

“We really thought we had dodged a bullet when Heyward-Bey came out early,” Wake Forest Coach Jim Grobe said. “We thought that would take a little pressure off our defense. With this kid, they have not missed a beat. In fact, with this kid, he is probably a better receiver, catches the ball better. He has great foot speed. Can hurt you running or catching. With his kick return ability, everywhere you look he is a problem. He is someone keeping our defensive coaches up at night.”

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 8, 2009; 8:03 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brown: 'We Have Come a Long Way'
Next: Morning Links

Comments

It seemed DHB disappeared as a Junior for too many games. Torrey Smith has delivered on returns very consistently and the ytd stats point to Turner spreading the ball very effectively. The one thing DHB had that does not exist now is the reliable pass-catching TE as a threat which takes some pressure off the outside recievers. What I mean to say is that Smith's job is perhaps slightly harder than DHBs was.

In terms of DHB - he was a ckear example that Ralph can and could recruit. He came in with a ton of justified hype and we managed to get the fastest kid in Florida away from the Florida teams.

Posted by: HughGRection | October 8, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Those recruits are few and far between for Maryland and DHB was inconsistent, so recruiting definitely needs to improve. Plus, DHB was no Percy Harvin, who came out of Virginia and went to Florida.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 8, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

HughG - DHB was recruited out of Owings Mills, MD, not Florida. Second, he had no Florida schools in his final choices (this might indicate that he wasn't recruited by Miami, Florida, and Florida State).

Torrey Smith was recurited out of Fredericksburg, Va.

So, like I said, Maryland isn't recuriting the crem de la crem, especially out of Florida.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 8, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I do believe that Smith is better than DHB and will be much more productive for Maryland.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 8, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

stupid question. the real question is why can't Fridge maximize these kid's talents at MD.

I'm still stuck on Sean Merriman. I might have missed it, but he was a fraction of the player he is now when he was at MD. the kid came into the NFL as a beast, but I never saw that at MD.

Posted by: oknow1 | October 8, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Merriman didnt start juicing until the middle of his sophomore year when he was injured. Eventually that helped the rise in production from his Soph to Junior year when he was all-ACC

Posted by: fushezzi | October 8, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

SirPelleas -

You got me on my DHB facts. Thats why I always pester Barno for them. I recall that when DHB was recruited we picked up some speedsters at WR from Florida - one of whom had won the state 100 yd dash that year. I recall that it was proof at the time that Ralph was getting premier out of state athletes because at that poin we did not have the speed to compete with the likes of FSU. My bad. Not sure who it was then. Oquendo maybe?

I remember that that particular class of receivers was rated really highly by all the folks who rate such things.

Posted by: HughGRection | October 8, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

oknow -

One thing to consider re: Merriman is that he was surrounded by a high level of talent in those defenses - look at how many are in the pros (as starters). That said, I recall him being a beast at MD. The Chargers use him a that hybrid position which allows him to tally huge sack numbers. (I thought thats what the skins were trying to do with Orakpo.) Merriman came into the NFL like a bat out of hell.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 8, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

HughG - yes, you're right, Maryland has recruited a few players from Florida, but not since 2006.

2005: Marvin Peoples, Chris Clinton, Terrell Skinner, and Nolan Carroll

2006: Taji Thornton

That's all I could find from Scout.com. Perhaps I overlooked another. Skinner and Carroll turned out to be solid players, but we're still missing the really special ones that make up a more competitive team.

How do we fix this?

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 8, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

with these quarterbacks, it doesn't matter who you put out at WR....

Posted by: Durham2 | October 8, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

SirPelleas -

Wow, you are giving barno a run for his money on the quick facts. i guess I have bought into most of the recruiting hype when its reported that our recruits are pretty good and highly ranked. Why they have not panned out as so is more of a mystery. I honestly thought Fridge freeing himself up a bit byt delegating some duties to Franklins would make our recruiting quality improve. We have a ton of players in the pros - likely more than in the 80s when we were QBU so I think the individual talent has been coming in. Given the o-line situation, depth has been the real issue - are we really starting two walk-ons? Also there seems to be a timing issue - 35 seniors gone at once is a tough hurdle to overcome especially when it accounts for how many o-linemen?

The real troublesome issue for me is the depth at QB since other than Robinson (who really has not shown much) no one has really played. Next year, by definition we will be more experienced (albeit likely less talented) on the o-line, with a great set of receivers, no receiving TE and an unproven QB. Because Ralph has produced success with the same issues in the past, am staunchly behind him staying through next year regardless if it costs us money to keep Franklin.

it seems Texas, USC, Florida keep getting the great recruits - would like to see us throw more money into the recruiting process and infrastructure to lure some of those can't miss guys away. Maybe we haven't seen the fruits of Franklin's hiring flow through the recruiting process yet. When Ralph does leave, would like to see him kept on as a recruiter emeritus of some sort. I think that he remains a positive selling point for the program.

Regardless, we need more o-linemen for next year' depth.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 8, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

What? My impersonater poster hasn't posted here yet?

Give 'em time.

In the mean time, the other team I root for is..................

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 8, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Love Darrius and he is a great Terp, but I've been saying it since last season...

Smith >>> DHB