Prediction Time

I had planned to pick Duke to beat Maryland ever since the Terrapins lost to Wake Forest on Oct. 10. I must say that I have gotten a little nervous the past few days because most people seem to be picking the Blue Devils. The Terrapins do have a chance for an upset Saturday. But it would still be considered an upset if Maryland won. I’m sticking with the Blue Devils.

Neither team can run the ball well. I expect Maryland to run the ball a little better than Duke if Caleb Porzel gets a decent amount of carries.

Both teams should be able to throw the ball. I expect Duke quarterback Thaddeus Lewis to have more success than Maryland quarterback Chris Turner in the passing game. I can see Lewis throwing for at least 350 yards.

The other issue is that Maryland has not won a true road game since rallying to beat Clemson last season. That was a while ago. California and Wake Forest jumped all over the Terrapins this season. This will be a unique environment at Duke on Saturday, but who really knows what to expect. Maryland has not played there since 2004. Duke thinks it can get to its first bowl game since 1994. Maryland will be home for the holidays, barring an unforeseen turn of events in November.

Maryland practiced really well this week, according to Coach Ralph Friedgen. Players were loose but a little mad over recent struggles. That should help, but it won’t be enough. Coming off an open date, Duke will be ready.

Duke 34, Maryland 24.

What does everyone else think?

• Maryland in a blowout
  • Maryland in a close game
  • Duke in a close game
  • Duke in a blowout

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 23, 2009; 9:07 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More carries for Porzel?
Next: Friedgen: 'God, give us a damn chance'

Comments

Terps 31 Duke 30. I think this could be a break out game for Porzel.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 23, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

UMD does not lose to Duke.
Terps 27 Duke 17

Posted by: erniegogo | October 23, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The rain is going to hit the Terps AGAIN, and Franklin once again will demonstrate that he does not know how to tailor his offense to less-than-ideal conditions. Turner will make a couple of turnovers that lead to Duke points, and then they will bring in Robinson and/or O'Brien, which will open the flood gates for the Blue Devils. As much as I want the Terps to win, and as much as I think the defense will continue its improvement, Franklin will inevitably playcall the Terps into a 42-20 loss.

Posted by: Russtinator | October 23, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I see some people are keeping the faith. Duke wins: 31-13.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 23, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Duke 35 Maryland 16

Posted by: fushezzi | October 23, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Terps vs a good passing game, makes for a long day... I'm smelling toast for #6..

Posted by: frostanna | October 23, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Terps 27, Duke 24

Posted by: TerpGrad | October 23, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

MD an underdog to Duke? It took me a minute to realize you werent writing about basketball.

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 23, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse