Quick Thoughts on a Wild Afternoon at Byrd Stadium

I just finished my final version of my game story, updated with quotes, etc. Wow. What an afternoon out here. A couple quick thoughts:

 The Atlantic Division race is totally wide open. Totally. Florida State and Clemson both go down on the same Saturday. Who’s the favorite in the division?

 Maryland running back Da’Rel Scott likely out for the year with a broken left wrist. Scott had struggled, obviously, but this is still a blow. Davin Meggett and Gary Douglas need to step up. Your thoughts?

 Coach Ralph Friedgen had this to say to his critics: “I don’t worry about what you say or what you write,” Friedgen said to a reporter. “I have been at this 41 years. I have won most of my career. If they [school officials or fans] don’t want me here, I will go somewhere else. I think I am pretty well respected in the profession.”

 Maryland’s defense bailed out the offense, and bailed out Friedgen after that fourth-down call.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 3, 2009; 7:03 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Final: Maryland 24, Clemson 21
Next: Campbell Out vs. Wake, Scott May Not be Lost for Season

Comments

I know it sounds crazy, but Torrey Smith is still an underrated player. He has been a bigger playmaker game by game than DHB ever was... obviously DHB was more dynamic, but Smith comes down with almost every jump ball, he has size, speed, and hands. Dude is a legit pro and without him we are nothing.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | October 3, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you aren't crazy, Smith has been a welcome surprise/emergence this year.

Posted by: CapsNut | October 4, 2009 6:08 AM | Report abuse

I was one of the idiots in the crowd screaming for Fridge and the Terps to go for it on 4th down so I can't kill him for the failed attempt; however, I can kill him for the complete and utter confusion that appeared to be happening before the play (after a timeout mind you), as well as the play call itself. Inexcusable.

Big, big win though, so I definitely applaud a Terps team most people had counted out.

Posted by: RickyBobby | October 4, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

it was the right decision, probably the wrong play call. There were 5 or more scenarios at play:
1- make it; 2- fail and try to hold on; 3- give up a big return; 4- have a tired defense give up a long drive; 5- punt, no/small return, and good defensive stand.

Of those.. 3 and 4 are killers. Choosing between 1, 2, and 5.... have to think that 1 is the most likely.

Posted by: mcmelton | October 4, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Better to be lucky than good. Had the Terps lost, cant imagine the intensity of the calls for Friedgen's head after going for it on 4th and inches. The real problem wasnt the decision to go for it, it was the indecision that led to confusion from the players. There was uncertainty as to who was in the game, as more than one player was sprinting off the field from the huddle before the play. Then they didn't get out of the huddle until there was no more than 7 secs on the playclock. All this after a time out, and not only a time out, but they had used at least 25 sec off the previous play clock clock waiting to even make the t.o call. It was an absolute debacle from the coaching staff. Reminded me of Gibbs calling back to back t.o's trying to ice the kicker

Posted by: asnis715 | October 4, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Now I read that Franklins play call on 4th and inches wasn't even in the playbook. No wonder guys didn't know who was in the game. How can you call a play not in the playbook on one of the biggest, if not the biggest plays of the game/season???

Posted by: asnis715 | October 4, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Which reporter did Coach direct his comment, "I don’t worry about what you say or what you write?"

Thanks

Posted by: davecrabtree1 | October 4, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Ralph needs to have his head examined or his testosterone level checked (I think it's way too high). As soon as the 3rd-down play failed I was screaming at Ralph (on my TV) not to do it, because he has a history of such numbskull decisions. Then making the decision indecisively was the worst.

So Ralph thinks he could get a job anywhere? What serious Division 1-A football program wants a head coach with such poor judgment?

Posted by: aardvark63 | October 4, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: aardvark63 | October 4, 2009 2:56 PM

Ralph Friedgen would be on the short list of each and every D1-A opening next year if he were to lose his job here.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 4, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Prisbell, where is the poll of whether Ralph should keep his job after this season? You said you'd post the same poll after biggest win since you thought it was fair to post it after our biggest loss.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 4, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I will post that poll as well then too.

I have struggled over how hard to be, which is why I wanted to get the pulse from some fans.

It's a tough call.
------Original Message------
From: Barno
To: Eric Prisbell
Sent: Sep 21, 2009 2:18 PM
Subject: (no subject)

I hope you post a poll about who should coach next season after our biggest win of the year (whenever that may be). Only fair, seeing as you pose the question after the worst loss in Fridge's career.

I say back off Fridge and criticize the D coordinator and/or the players...but that's just me.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 4, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Barno1-Just curious. In your email to Eric you mentioned being critical of the D coach. Why? I would think that after their performance yesterday the D would be the big positive of Maryland's play.

Posted by: fellowfan | October 4, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: aardvark63 | October 4, 2009 2:56 PM

Really? You don't think he could get another job as a Div I-A head coach? Even if that were true, Friedgen would have no problem getting a job as an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

Posted by: jrchris | October 5, 2009 3:11 AM | Report abuse

It was an awful call. They got a lucky win. And to make it worse, in his post game talk, Fridge said he was going back and forth and was talked into it. Isn't his job to make those calls and not get talked into stupid calls? One more year to see if he can turn it around. Then if not, he is gone.

Posted by: kenw1 | October 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fellowfan | October 4, 2009 6:13 PM

That email was 2 weeks ago, after we lost to Middle Tenn St when our D could not stop anyone. They have played much better since then, obviously.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 5, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse