Time for Predictions

Time for a prediction on this rivalry game. The conditions may be sloppy, which makes the outcome more difficult to predict.

I really like Virginia’s run defense and the play of the secondary throughout most of the season. And the fact that Virginia has protected the football very well the past few games is a factor as well.

Maryland may have a hard time moving the football. Coach Ralph Friedgen said last night that he is unsure whether left tackle Bruce Campbell will play. That is a huge concern in my book. The line must protect quarterback Chris Turner and create holes for running backs. A lot to ask, in my opinion.

It would be foolish to pick against Al Groh in October. It would be foolish to pick this Maryland team to beat a Virginia team going in a different and better direction at this point of the season. The more I look at this game, the better I feel about Virginia winning.

Virginia 28, Maryland 20.

What does everyone else think?

• Maryland in a blowout
  • Maryland in a close game
  • Virginia in a close game
  • Virginia in a blowout
  • I'm just happy the game is on ESPNU and not ESPN360

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 16, 2009; 9:13 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Morning Links
Next: More on Hayes and Goins

Comments

Wow, that new poll setup sucks.

Virginia 24 Maryland 20

Posted by: fushezzi | October 16, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Agreed on the poll setup, Fusheez. Got another feeling about this one: Terps win in a blowout: Terps 35 UVa 10.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I like the new set up, it's great!

Terps win 42-39 and .500-Fridge keeps his job for another weak.

Go Duke

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | October 16, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Somehow the Terps will pull this out. This game comes at an important stage in the season. If the Terps win, they can still salvage a decent season. If they lose, they are looking at an almost certain losing record.

Maryland 27 Virginia 24

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | October 16, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The chart page looks 100% better than in the past. The past chart page resembled a web site from the 1990's.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | October 16, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

If it's raining, Terps get blown out like they did against Rutgers (UVA 38 - UMD 10). Franklin will not have a game plan designed to take advantage of the conditions. If it stays dry most of the game we might have a more interesting contest (UVA 31 - UMD 28). If the Terps can hold onto the ball in wet conditions, I might be completely wrong.

Posted by: Russtinator | October 16, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Just win it. Do not care how. Just beat the Wahoos.

"Go Duke??" - Poopy, you certainly do not support Duke football do you?

Can I ask a question to the caucasians on this board? Why do y'all hate the white boys from Duke so much? I've met Alarie and he is a real nice guy. I understand Laettner and Hurley but they were there back when the skins were still decent. I really do not get the animosity towards them. Or do y'all hate ALL Duke players regardless of ethnicity?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 16, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I hate Duke b/c I'm a Terp. That's what we do.

My main problem with them is their relationship with the refs. If there is ever any doubt about a call it seems the call goes to Duke. I don't care if they are black or white or whatever Alaa Abdelnaby was....I hate them.

Posted by: fushezzi | October 16, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, sorry all, I really don't hate Duke. To me, they and Carolina are merely the competition in mens bball and make MD a better program. I certainly want to beat the pants off them at any and every opportunity, but really don't hate them and usually root for them out of the ACC. Now the Wahoos...no misfortune that happens to them is ever enough in any sport. I want to see their volleyball team lose (and their gymnastics squad).

Posted by: HughGRection | October 16, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Good to see the "fake" poopy is back. I mean talk about sad. I mean is this somesort of pathetic attempt to drive me away from the interwebs here on Washington Post? Hoping I just get so frustrated by the fake-poopy trying to trick people with his ruse that I just throw in the towel and give up, thus returning the Post blogs back to perfect harmony?

I mean really? Of course I guess if you do root for duke, you go to duke/umd games at Cole and before the game throw crumbled up pieces of newspaper at the duke bench and it's fans.......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 16, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Hah! I really can't tell which Poop is which. ".500 fridge" is definitely a Poop trademark, but the last commenter generally sounds angry about this. Hilarious in my opinion. Unless of course the 2 poops are the same poop...if that's the case, well he's even more of a sad clown than I thought.

Terps win this week. And next week too.

3-1 here we come

Posted by: Barno1 | October 16, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Poopy_McPoop = O' Dog

Poopy-McPoop = sad, pathetic imposter who's holed up in mommy's attic with cheetos and jolt cola.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 16, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not hopeful of anything resembling a real college football game

terps 7, blahoos 6

Posted by: cmauro10 | October 16, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

The game will be determined by the team who doesn't want to suck worse than the other.
MD 14-13 in a turnover-plagued game.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | October 16, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse