Maryland-Virginia Tech at 1 p.m. on ESPN360.com

Maryland destined for ESPN360.com for the seventh time this season. Wow.

I'm without words.

The Nov. 14 matchup between Maryland and Virginia Tech will kick off at 1 p.m. and be broadcast on ESPN360.com. Enough said.

By Eric Prisbell  |  November 2, 2009; 3:12 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NC State-Maryland, 1 p.m. on ESPN360.com
Next: Terps ready to guard someone else

Comments

I'm a little surprised, but there's nothing that can be done. There are a lot more attractive matchups on the schedule that ESPN has access to for that week including UF/USC, Iowa/OSU (probaby the ABC game), ND/Pitt, Miami/UNC, 'Zona/Cal, A&M/OU, Auburn/UGA, FSU/Wake, so the game being on ESPN360 is pretty expected. However, the gametime of 1:00 PM is a bit surprising since VT would be a much better draw at night against a potential SEC matchup and the likely Big 10 showdown in ABC than it would at 1:00 against the rest of the country. So much for Maryland's desire for a "blackout" for this game since it's pretty hard to do a blackout justice when the sun is shining (well it'll probably be raining, but you get the idea!).

It does seem that ESPN360 picks 2 or 3 games each week that involve at least one ranked team to try to create interest. It's pretty sad when I'd wish Raycom/JP would pick up our games, but that's the point the Terps have reached this season. Very sad, and I hope the ACC rethinks its current broadcast contract with ESPN based on the number of games that have been relegated to an online network that many people in ACC territory can't get. I wonder how many ACC Basketball games will find the same fate this year.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 2, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Eric, why the shock? I'm a huge terps fan, but considering we are THIS bad, we are lucky to even be on the 360.

Posted by: timothy_daly | November 2, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Eric,

I'm a little confused here. According to your post and the website for the uniforms they're wearing for those troops, I thought this game as well as the South Carolina game were supposed to be a national broadcast which should have assured us a game on ESPN or ABC even though Tech is now out of the national title race. How are people going to know about the cause now? I guess Under Armour or this foundation didn't pay off the tv executives on this one?

Posted by: DiehardTerp | November 2, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

What the heck. I'll be there so I don't care that it's on 360.com. I like the 1 PM starts since we can drink at tail gate by 10 AM and still get home in time to see the better games on at night.

Posted by: erniegogo | November 2, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

ESPN 360 SUCKS! Can't even get it on your computer outside the DC area in some cases like NYC. You have to have the right cable provider in order to watch the games (even online!).

Posted by: aviscardo | November 3, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Great way to honor the Wounded Warrior Project...move the game on to the internet. Real classy move ESPN.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

The way we've been playing, maybe the best way to honor the Wounded Warrior Project is not to have a one-sided football game attached to it.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | November 3, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe this. Don't the networks know who follows their teams? I think I read that there is a sell-out crowd at Byrd Stadium--wouldn't it be smarter to broadcast popular games among local teams???

Posted by: Metroresident | November 3, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse