O'Malley not in favor of using public funds to buy out Friedgen's contract

In an interview with reporters today, Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley said he "would hope (the University of Maryland) would not use public funds to buy out the contract" of Terrapins football coach Ralph Friedgen. O'Malley also said neither he nor any of his staff members have become involved in deciding Friedgen's future at the school.

Brian Ullmann, Maryland's senior associate athletic director, said the athletic department has not requested funds from the university for a buyout.

You can read more about O'Malley's comments on the Post's Maryland Politics blog.

By Steve Yanda  |  November 24, 2009; 6:24 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friedgen: 'We won't be taking our lumps next year'
Next: Maryland falls to Cincinnati, 69-57, in first loss of season

Comments

I'm going to reiterate that I really will be shocked to see Maryland buy out the contract of Ralph Friedgen.

Where would the 4 million come from? The Terrapin Club claims they have not been contacted to raise funds, neither have several top financial boosters. Now we have the governor of Maryland lending more credence to the view that the university just does not have the money to undertake this.

Despite what "unnamed sources" say, Ralph is here to stay for another year.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | November 24, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I've criticized Friedgen the past few years, but I would like to see him go out on a better note than a 2-9 season. I'd like to see him get one last chance to turn this around.

I'd be extremely pissed if the university took 4 million out of its endowment for this.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | November 24, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to think the person that really needs to hit the road is Debbie Yow.

The Baltimore Sun has a much better article about the coaching situation with actual sources.

Perhaps Terrapin club members need to get a petition together against Ms Yow.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | November 24, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Attention Terps fans:

If you want Coach Friedgen to be your coach next year, please bring signs with words showing your support for the man to the game on Saturday.

That is all.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 24, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I believe Friedgen needs to be given another year to turn things around. This team lost a lot of players at key positions (OL in particular) from last year and are EXTREMELY young. They have been in most of their games this year and they have been a play here or there from a victory. I don't think they are as bad as their record suggests. I think this team showed a lot of heart in the FSU game and hopefully it will carry over to the game with BC. I also think the last couple of recruiting classes have been solid and there should be some decent improvement next year as these players have gotten some valuable experience this year. This team seem to work hard and don't give up, which will serve them well in the future. Again, I don't think getting rid of Friedgen and Franklin is the answer. I think we should give them another chance.

Posted by: djwilbur1 | November 25, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Terp icons such as Len Elmore and McMillan also have made strong statements against a buyout. Ms Yow hasn't the resources to effect a wholesale change. Coach Friedgen's overall record exceeds mathematical expectations given initial assumptions of 50-50 win or lose odds each game. Changing coaches makes no sense whatsoever. Let's keep him until he decides to retire.

Posted by: AncientTerp | November 25, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Keep Ralph, Fire Franklin... Tailgate starts at 9:30, Lot 9B.. Happy Gobble Day..

Posted by: frostanna | November 25, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Terrapin Club member and I would encourage anyone who wants Ralph to stay to call the Terrapin Club at 301-314-7020. They can put you through to Debbie Yow's voice mail. I'd suggest leaving a constructive message, not a profanity-laced rant. I was able to leave a message encouraging her to give Ralph another year. I hope other fans do the same.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | November 25, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frostanna | November 25, 2009 10:13 AM

Amen to every word you just said

Posted by: Barno1 | November 25, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm against a buyout for many reasons, not the least of which being that Fridge deserves to go out on a higher note than 2-10. Every coach goes through a rebuilding season. This squad is only graduating 14 seniors, had a mess of injuries to key positions, and just had a lot of bad luck.

But my biggest reason against a buyout is for logistical reasons. We're still in a recession, folks. And usually public education gets the shaft when it comes to funding in a recession. If you buyout out Fridge and Franklins contracts, then try to hire a big shot coach who will want a fat contract before signing, you're not going to have much left. And BTW, don't bother mentioning guys like Skip Holtz or the dude from Cincy; going to Maryland would not be an upgrade for those guys.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | November 25, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I’ve been a Terrapin Club member for over 15 years and a season ticket holder for the last 10. I’m in the ranks of those who are frustrated and disappointed with the performance and the direction of the program. I had hoped that Friedgen could deliver competitive teams, consistently ranked in the top 25, that’s made up of good kids, bona fide students. I haven’t given up on that vision. Frustrated as I am, I hope McMillen’s statement reflects the way in which administrators go about making crucial decisions on leadership of the football program. Those decisions are strategic ones that need to be made with thoughtful urgency. While there’s some basis for optimism about next season, the trend of the past five years raises stronger doubts about the long term for the program. From the outside looking in these questions come to mind:
1) Is there a clear vision for the program that administration and the fan base universally support? It does not seem so now.
2) Are we prepared to make the wholesale changes that may be needed to position us to realize that vision? Evidence of an unhealthy working relationship between the AD and the coaches (the department’s feud with Williams that went public this year and the decision to commit to an heir apparent to Friedgen) suggests a leadership style of micro-management and weak people skills.
3) Are there prospective coaches that we can realistically pursue now?

Posted by: DonRoberto1 | November 26, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse