Coming up next ...

Next up, Maryland will face No. 3 Villanova on Sunday in the BB&T Classic at Verizon Center. The Wildcats will pose a significant challenge, no doubt. But in the hour after the Terrapins' 80-68 victory over Indiana on Tuesday night, Coach Gary Williams wanted to hold off on thinking about how to stop Scottie Reynolds and how Villanova represents Maryland's last opportunity to claim a quality nonconference win just a little while longer.

"This is important tonight," Williams said. "I’m going to enjoy this, and then I’ll figure out how important the Villanova game’s going to be. This was important tonight. I haven’t changed gears yet. That’s the thing that’s wrong with basketball. Just give me til tomorrow."

Fair enough.

After watching Maryland play Tuesday night, as well as the previous six games, how do you all think the Terrapins will do Sunday against Villanova? (Feel free to sleep on it and get back to us tomorrow if you'd like.)

By Steve Yanda  |  December 2, 2009; 4:01 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland's 2010 PR campaign underway
Next: Scouting Villanova

Comments

I think the loses in Hawaii were a blessing in disguise. Gary had the Terps looking pretty tight last night. As long as they stay out of Foul trouble- MD in a tight game is my prediction.

Posted by: dcperspective | December 2, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think Maryland will either win or lose. It'll probably come down to whichever team scores the most points.

Posted by: terpin | December 2, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Back to Russtinator's points about GV and shooting percentage. Would rather see a higher FG% WITH the high FT%. His high FT% is a partial offset to the low FG%....but at least he is making his FTs.

GV hits more shots (b/c lets face it, he's gonna take a ton of them) we have a lot less drama against Indiana. How about that furious comeback at the end of the first half? Vintage GW.

Regards -

-hgr

I agree with Russ on this. GV's shooting must improve dramatically. Additionally, JW's FT% must improve as well for MD to go far this year b/c he is gonna get fouled whne others figure out he can't hit his FTs.

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I think the Terps win this one. The Wildcats rely heavily on their backcourt. While Reynolds is indeed a beast, I think we can throw Mosley on him and fluster him a bit. All of our 1s, 2s and 3s have great size. Villanova isn't built on size and this may be one game where our overall size and specifically Williams can be the difference maker. If our guards can play decent D on theirs and Williams can grab the rebounds, then, paraphrasing Lloyd Christmas, I'm saying there is a chance.

Maryland 74
Villanova 69

Posted by: fushezzi | December 3, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I thought GV was NBA ready late last season, but he seems to have taken a step backwards so far this season. He needs to become a dominant player for MD to be a real player this year.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 3, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Love the lloyd Christmas quote fushezzi - and i agree. Terps win in an upset. Love the fact that MD is unranked and Nova is undefeated - bodes well for gary and the boys. Of course, it'd be better if Nova was #1, with Gary's track record of taking down top-ranked teams....

MD 80
Nova 78

Posted by: putnam23 | December 3, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Wow....the Koolaid is spiked!!!!!!!

How do the Terps win this game? What are you thinking. Even Gary didn't want to think about it because he probably has no clue.

The Knicks beat Phoenix the other night...so it is possible. And we can hope for it.

But get real.

What are you going to say when the much more likely blow-out happens?

I know: We are a young team (NOT!); It's early in the season; We do well when our backs are against the wall; At least Gary protects the dignity of the school by refusing to recruit the way Coach K does...

I could go on, but it just isn't worth it.

Posted by: petecard | December 3, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

that loss to Wiscony isnt looking so bad now...

hated to lose the acc/big10 challenge but watching duke lose almost made it satisfying...especially to a team we lost to...

there is a chance but its gonna take a much better and more consistent effort out of everyone on both sides of the ball...especially GV...

bad shots and dead end drives are turnovers and against this team it will kill us...

Posted by: deadskin | December 3, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I blame Clemson for losing the ACC/Big 10 challenge. Inexcusable to blow a 23-point lead in the second half on your home floor.

Posted by: putnam23 | December 3, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Restonhoops -

I certainly hope GV isn't suffering from Terence Morris-itis. Then again, that year we went to the final four.

Putnam, Fushezzi -

Who is Lloyd Christmas? Missing the pop-culture reference there.

Regards -

-sc

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd Christmas - Jim Carrey's character in 'Dumb & Dumber'

Come on hugh!

Posted by: putnam23 | December 3, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow....the Koolaid is spiked!!!!!!!

Posted by: petecard | December 3, 2009 10:09 AM

I don't know, maybe the fact that Maryland has 30 wins against top 5 teams under Gary Williams? Maybe the fact that we have beaten top 5 teams before in the BB&T, including Kansas and Standford? Maybe because we've beaten other ranked teams like Connecticut and Illinois at BB&T? And beaten other major conference teams from out of area like DePaul and California there as well?

Or maybe it's because we fans who have faith in our teams instead of constantly believing the sky is falling and we should fire our coach?

Seriously, Petetard, doing everyone on here a real favor and STFU!

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Putnam -

Not the first time y'all have lost me on a pop-culture reference. Only saw the movie once and was barely able to sit through it. Now if you had quoted anything from the Clerks series I'd be able to keep up.

Nice call on Clemson blowing it for the ACC B10 challenge. That said, it was not that much of a challenge from its inception. Glad MD won, regardless of how much better they should have played. Am hoping for the best against Villanova. We need to win at least one big out of conference game. I understand not letting DG go to Hawaii, but am less certain of why he is not playing in the BBT.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Villanova is a smallish team like us, but they are a much better rebounding team. We need to keep them off the offensive glass. Offensively, we need to take care of the ball better than we did in the first half against Indiana, and make FTs. Nova is very aggressive defensively and will commit fouls, so someone other than GV and Hayes will need to make FTs for us to win, IMO.

Posted by: Jeremy76 | December 3, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Also, Russtinator,

Going back to the GV shooting percentage discussion, I absolutely agree with you that he needs to shoot in the 40% range or better over the course of the season. My argument was more that people tend to focus on his (at times) poor shot selection, and completely ignore the other aspects of his game. He is great at getting to the line and making FTs...he creates good shots for others (and it's not his fault that they miss so many layups)...he rebounds well for a guard...and usually his defense is very solid. Your points about his shot selection are valid, and I get frustrated with him at times too, but I think people go too far. This clown petecard, for example, who continues to make tired "kool aid" references, when he is the one with the poisoned perspective.

I, too, hope Greivis gets over some of these early-season bumps in the road. It could mean the difference between sitting on the bubble and being one of the better teams in the ACC.

Posted by: Jeremy76 | December 3, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2009 2:15 PM

It's all about the Fall semester not ending until next week. Can't return to the team until the semester is over.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea how this game will shake out. I am relying on the weird terps-skins corollary for this one. often how the skins perform the terps will follow suit, maybe there is something in the PG county water.

i really think its possible for the skins to keep it close against the saints, while I know its possible for the Skins to get blown out against the saints.

i totally think the terps can beat nova, but I also know they could get the doors blown off. We need to start aggresively, stay out of foul trouble, and hit free throws.

i think the skins cover, 24-17, and the terps win, 80-77

Posted by: jpfterps | December 3, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Petetard, doing everyone on here a real favor and STFU!

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2009 2:14 PM
------------

Barno, you realize any/every time you make your childish, over-the-internet insults it makes you look sad and pathetic.

I mean petetard, really? Is that you're slick way of trying to call petecard a retard because you don't agree with his stance on UMD athletics? Talk about sad.

Of course this is your MO, name call and insult anyone that disagrees with you.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 3, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Pete Card is a retard. I have no problem with anyone calling him such. *Anyone who calls for Gary Williams to be fired on A MARYLAND TERRAPIN BLOG deserves to be mocked (and banned for life)

Poopy McPoop is also a retard. *Anyone who denounces insults and in the same sentence also uses insults is a retard (and a hypocrite to boot)

I could use without either of these clowns on what should be a place where FANS of Maryland congregate.

Go Terps!

Posted by: Terps74 | December 3, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Free throw percentages are certainly important stat but a much more interesting stat would be to figure out MD's "layup percentage" over the last 6 years. Would bet my six MD football season tickets for 2010 that I am NOT renewing that it's well under fiddy%....Bet hands-of-stone, got blocked-more-than-he-blocked a shot Ekene Ibekwe alone probably didn't crack 20% for his career...at least we don't have to watch that goofball anymore.

Posted by: BD-EC | December 3, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

The Koolaid drinkers have spoken. Blinf faith and trash those who question where we are headed.

Poopy is stand-up to point this out but discerning posters know all about Barno and his other like-minded GW groupies.

Let's reconvene after the Nova game.

I hope you all have reason then to trash me, but it won't change the fact that this is going to be a long tough season, scratching and clawing just to make the dance.

Posted by: petecard | December 3, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

ok, we've degenerated again....have to say, I find the "retard" insult particularly offensive (I have a handicapped kid who is classified as such). But I am no censor either. Say whatever you want to as long as you say it honestly (in my book). Heck, one of the reasons, I love this board is that y'all do fight and such and show your true colors behind the mask of anonymity.

for the Ekene Ibekwe comment. I've mentioned before that I met him and that he was a thoughtful, intelligent and very nice young man. The kind of guy that MD would be an asset to MD whether or not he was an athlete. Remember that he was (similar to T. Garrison) very highly touted coming out of highschool and landing him was a coup for the program. He graduated in four and stayed out of trouble - in the face of the Gilchrist meltdown, the McCray academic dismissal, etc. So he was not the greatest player in the history of the program. I thought he contributed positively on the court, though I do not recall any specifics.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 4, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Terps74 | December 3, 2009 8:11 PM

Obviously Terps74 forgot the most basic of reading comprehension skills he learned in English 101 in Susquehanna Hall.

I didn't say barno1 was sad or pathetic, I said continually hurling childish insults, over the faceless internet made him come off and look sad and pathetic.

Obviously the difference is lost on some.

Using "retard" I mean, who over the age of 11 uses that anyway?

I also enjoy Terps74 taking the barno1 route, in terms of bashing other peoples fandom and claiming others to not be "real" fans.

Yeah heavens to betsy some of us actually expect more out of UMD and aren't content with 7-4, 6-5 seasons out of our football team or 20-10 seasons out of our basketball team with a trip to the 2nd or 3rd round of the NCAAs.

Yeah heavens to betsy some of us actually set the bar a little higher and regularly want trips to BCS bowls or the Final 4.

You set the bar low, and you get average results.

But some of you already knew that, from your day-to-day lives, didn't you?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 4, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Great post Poopy, but it is falling on deaf ears.

In the Koolaid Drinkers Hall of Medicocrity Bliss it is not acceptable to question King Gary.

The fun is in the anguish. Beating UNC or Duke and just making the tournament is all that is needed.

We won a national championship and that is enough to take to our graves....

Posted by: petecard | December 4, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

On another note, did anyone notice the recruiting forces of Bobby Huggins and Billy Hahn (Terp) have WVU at #7?

Recruiting is mainly an Assistant Coach function and Hahn was great at it. I'm glad we have Chuck D. now. He seems to be developing quite a strong rep amongst the recruits and in general.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 4, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

You love Billy Hahn

Posted by: Barno1 | December 4, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"Heavens to betsy"? You must really be an old coot. And I thought "koolaid" was old and unimaginative. McPoop and petecard, you can be critical all you want (it's not like you've got Williams' or Yow's ear anyway), but if I were that negative, I probably wouldn't watch the games. I get the feeling you guys root for and thrive on misfortune though. You must be really fun to be around.

Posted by: booger1 | December 4, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah you're right booger. I sit around watching the Terps play and root for things to go wrong and for them to lose so I can come on here and act all high and mighty on a faceless, internet messageboard.

You got me pegged booger. By the way, how are the Tri-Lambs doing?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 4, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I root so hard for the Terps it is hard to watch the games...I suffer through many of them.

When your team doesn't measure up, what do you do?

I see that much of the time it is a talent gap.

I hold the coach accountable for the talent gap...and all of you excuse makers are his enablers.

I don't make excuses and I talk about the problem(s).

Deal with it.

Posted by: petecard | December 4, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

And yes Barno we all love Billy Hahn, except for that little scandal he was involved in while at La Salle.......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 4, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Too bad our recruiting class dropped from 7th to 19th on ESPN....either way it's an improvement though.

now if we could only get it together for football

Posted by: SirPelleas | December 4, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

If we had terp insider elections I would nominate Hugh for president. always thoughtful and diplomatic.

fellas, can we at least wait til february before the fire gary talk starts. seriously.

Posted by: jpfterps | December 5, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse