Looking toward the future

Through nine games this season, Maryland stands at 6-3. There have been plenty of positives (the play of Sean Mosley and Jordan Williams, for example) and some reasons for concern (rebounding and perimeter defense), as well.

Following Saturday's win over Eastern Kentucky, Coach Gary Williams was asked for his assessment of how the first nine games of the season have gone.

"Well, I thought we were competitive in the toughest games, the biggest-name games -- Indiana, the two in Hawaii (losses to Cincinnati and Wisconsin) and Villanova," Gary Williams said. "Those teams are really good. To beat them you have to do everything right. You have to have everybody in place to play. So we do now, and we'll go from here. You can't get those games back, but you can take care of business now. We're in a lot better shape right now than we were last year at this time, so we're looking forward to the future."

Since the team has no games this week while players partake in fall semester final exams, this makes for a nice little break in the schedule to evaluate the first chunk of the season. And so I'm curious to see what you think of how the Terrapins have fared thus far. Please participate in the poll below and feel free to provide rationale for your choice in the comments section below.

As always, if you'd like to email me more extensive thoughts on the team, Coach Gary Williams, the performance of any specific players or the Post's coverage of Maryland basketball, email me anytime at yandas@washpost.com. I look forward to your feedback.

By Steve Yanda  |  December 16, 2009; 9:02 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ball control aids Terrapins
Next: Scouting Winston-Salem State

Comments

A very poor start. No wins against good teams. Our "best" player not performing.

A very soft schedule between now and the beginning of league play that really will do nothing for us. Let's just hope we don't lose one of them.

Yikes!!!! Here we go again...

Posted by: petecard | December 16, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Petecard....this is going to be a long season. We will be lucky to win any ACC games and obviously most experts think along the same lines since we are ranked near the bottom of the ACC (although I have no proof of this). I actually think we lose to William & Mary and UNC-Greensboro. Debbie Yow will have to address the constant losing and mediocrity of the program and I expect Gary Williams to be fired by February. He's held back this program long enough. Here's to hoping we can just finish .500 on the year.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

You two are idiots.

Posted by: edr04 | December 16, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

You two are idiots.

Posted by: edr04 | December 16, 2009 10:07 AM
------------------------------------------
Although I will not be as blasphemous, I agree with edr04. For the fair weather fans, go ahead and jump ship now. Hope you don't get hit by the rudders on your way down. When MD makes thier run this year and enters the tourney on a hot streak, there will be no more room for you to try to get back on this ship. Bunch of pansies always looking for instant satisfaction. Have you never followed MD baskeball? Know that Gary will inded get the team ready. He has always managed to get the best from what he has. MD is much better later in the year and that is a credit to the coaching moves of Gary and the will of the players. GV is finally coming out from under his shell, Dino is back, Williams has been a pleasant surprise, Mosley is a beast, and Hayes is nailing his jumpers. What else can you ask for? Those three losses were all to top 25 teams but at least they were competitive. Bring on the ACC but let's do some polishing over the next month or so. GO TERPS!!

Posted by: terptilldeath | December 16, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Ummmm, either you are new here or totally missed the sarcasm in my post.

Fact is, Terps were rated 5th (out of 12) in the preseason poll, which is hardly near the bottom. Hence the "although I dont have proof."

Posted by: fushezzi | December 16, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm most bothered by the two losses in Hawaii and the horrendous perimeter defense that's been on display thus far this season. However, the hallmark of nearly every Gary Williams team is that they get markedly better as the season progresses. I sort of like that Gregory was out the first 8 games because Williams and Padgett got more court time than they would otherwise have. And, now, with Gregory back on the front-line, we're a good bit better and deeper and I genuinely like where this team is going ... now, if only Vasquez can stay out of his offensive slump.

Posted by: imageaid | December 16, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

if you're going to be sarcastic at least ad a winky. ;)

Posted by: jnicol2 | December 16, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Terps go undefeated from here on out.

They'll also blow out Duke by 70 points, at least, as they march their way towards another national title.

Than next year the football team goes undefeated and wins the national title too.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 16, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Those three losses were all to top 25 teams but at least they were competitive.

Posted by: terptilldeath | December 16, 2009 10:14 AM
------------

Does being competitive in losses add any actual wins to that side of the win/loss column that I'm not aware of?

If not, it's still a LOSS.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 16, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Crow never tasted so good!

I gave the Terps no chance and am both shocked and delighted not only with the win, but with their gritty play.

How great to see the national attention focused on Maryland Basketball after far too long.

Once again, the Terps played tough defense in the half court. Through much/most of the first half UNC really crashed their offensive board and it was frustrating seeing our difficulty in blocking out.

But that was so much better down the stretch and I thought Neal did a great job, especially with the foul trouble.

Anyway, nothing but good thoughts today on Gary and the Terps. Let's enjoy this victory for at least a few days...

Imagine beating Duke...we might actually make the dance!

Posted by: petecard | February 22, 2009 10:19 AM

I look forward to a long season of posts like this from the local moron

Posted by: Barno1 | December 16, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Barno1/Copy-Paste, really?

I mean, if you want I can go back and dig up a boatload of your Redskins predictions/posts.

You don't want that to happen again do you? So everyone can see just how much of a moronic jackass you really are. For a 2nd time.

I think it's so funny that you go around trying to "show up" petecard by rehashing old posts of his. Of course I guess when doing so you convienently forget all of your own old posts that could be (and have been) dug up to show just how much of a "local moron" YOU reall are.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 16, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

PoopyMcPoop please do not repaste barno1's redskins predictions again. That was annoying enough the first time you did that.

In barno1's defense, it's just not the equivalent as saying the Redskins will be great this year etcetera, and turning out to be wrong. I personally think there is a difference between barno1's being the constant homer optimist and being wrong about it occasionally and guys like you and petecards being the constant pessimists AND attacking your own team and legendary head coach and then being wrong about it occasionally. It's just not the same thing in my humble opinion.

Personally I think you if you're a Terps fan you should support Gary Williams and the Terps regardless of the situation, but that's just me. And if you don't and you demand he be fired when the team isn't doing so well, well then you deserve to be called out/quoted when he and the team turn things around like they did last year.

Posted by: Redskins_401 | December 16, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Okay, folks. I was motivated by Petecard's pessimism. I decided to rank the basketball programs over the last ten years based on NCAA appearances and Elite Eight appearances. I cannot figure out how to format my excell spreadsheet (or PDF file) into this annoying comment box, so I have e-mailed that info to Yanda.

Below is a summary:

Elite (as per Petecard, NCAA at least eight of the last ten years, at least 2 Elite Eights):

Michigan St, Kansas, Texas, Wisconsin, Duke, UNC, Uconn, Kentucky, Florida, Arizona, UCLA, Oklahoma, Illinois, Xavier

Ranked next with at least 7 NCAA appearances and two Elite Eights are MD Oklahoma St.and Louisville.

Clearly, by Petecard's definition, you are either elite or mediocre, with no room for good, solid or even average teams.

Now for my subjective comments:

Michigan St and Kansas are tops going 10 of 10 with five Elite Eights each. Holy crap. Izzo is awesome and Kansas gets kudos for maintaining success through a coaching change.

Teams ranked higher than MD that I don't want MD to emulate due to sleaze factor: Uconn, Kentucky and Oklahoma.

Team not ranked because of their unique "success": Gonzaga with 10 of 10 with NCAA appearances with 0 Elite Eights. Is this mediocre success or successful mediocrity? I would love to see Petecard tee off on Mark Frew.

Wisconsin ranks equally with Duke with 10 of 10 appearnces and 2 Elite Eights. Who knew Bo Ryan was so boringly succussful? Kudos. Is Duke over-hyped or Wisconsin under-hyped?

I'll bet Clemson regrets letting Rick Barnes go to Texas.

Illinois has posted a better 10 year record than MD, but they have dropped noticeably since Bill Self left for Kansas.

Posted by: larry31 | December 16, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah,

All other ACC teams other the UNC and Duke have ranked noticeably lower than MD. Next closest was BC with 7 appearances and 0 Elite Eights and WF with 6 appearances and 0 Elite Eights.

Posted by: larry31 | December 16, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

401, couldn't have said it any better myself...thanks brah. But honestly I wouldn't bother responding anymore to that nutcase. Most people on here including myself have realized he is not worth responding to/arguing with... He has some serious issues, brags about his drug use on an internet message board, and is only here to pick fights with anyone who has a remotely optimistic veiwpoint of the Terps. Guy hasn't at any point posted a relevant comment on this board.

Anyhow, looking forward to a great ACC season...lot of good home games on the schedule in Garyland--including DOOK and another go-round with UNC (looking to beat them for the 4th straight year). It should be a good year, and nothing that's happened so far is too discouraging. I give us a B on the first 9 games, but believe we'll have an A in ACC play.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 16, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Forgot my predictions:

I still think MD finishes anywhere for 3 to 5 in the conference. I don't think the conference champion will have less than 4 losses. There will be alot of teams bunched near the top with 4 to 6 losses. I am not sure that 9-7 gets you into the dance without a serious run in the ACC tourney.

Posted by: larry31 | December 16, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Larry I appreciate the work you put in pulling this together. I think the reality is Gary Williams got lucky. He had three great college players come in at the same time that flew in a little under the radar for various reasons in Blake, Dixon, and Baxter. We also landed one top stud in Wilcox and added some other nice pieces like Miller and Mouton. Maryland's really good success comes in that short period. Nothing in the 8 years since then has shown that anything remotely like that is going to happen again. Every year that couple year run is further and further in the rear view mirror particularly to recruits. If we look at say a 5 year period which I think is fair to look at and what a recruit is going to look at(does anyone care that Penn used to be really good and go to Final 4s?) at then I don't see anyway MD is even looked at as a Top 25 program. At this point programs like Gonzaga and Butler have passed MD let alone teams like Oaklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Florida, West Virginia, and others.

*****************************************

Below is a summary:

Now for my subjective comments:

I'll bet Clemson regrets letting Rick Barnes go to Texas.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 16, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Restonhoops,

I appreciate the thoughtful and reasonable reply.

My rebuttal:
Duke also has seen a decline in their success since the late 90's and early 2000's. I think the probelm lies in college recruiting become more and more sleazy and Coach K and GW not wanting to play the recruiting game the way Calipari does.

Also, I think MD is getting better players because he has a stable coaching staff in place from which to build a solid recruiting base.

To a point, we both agree. MD will not see another two year run of Final Fours. I believe this coudl happen again, but not until the recruiting scene and AAU scene are overhauled and cleaned up.

Posted by: larry31 | December 16, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Reston, we were very close in 06/07 to returning to that prominence you speak of. 25 wins, double digit wins in the ACC, etc. That team finished in the top 25 and beat duke (twice) and Carolina. Yet we got upset in the 2nd round of the NCAAs.

I think we're back to that point again and on the verge of returning to prominence. Gary has assembled a team that not only has obvious 25 win/ double digit ACC win potential, but next year's team and beyond as well--with several talented and already-experienced underclassmen who will be here after this year (Bowie, Mosely, Gregory, Tucker...plus Williams and Padgett...plus a great recruiting class coming in next year). It remind me a lot of the old days where you could look at the roster and say we are good now, but a year from now, this team will be top 10 team.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 16, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Redskins_401,

If it's okay for Barno1 to dig up and repost old entries from petecard (in an attempt to embarrass petecard) why isn't it okay for others to do the same for Barno?

It's coming though....

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 16, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

And Skins 401 not everyone thought the barno-isms was annoying. Many appreciated the fact that someone actually called Barno out on his nonsense.

But again, don't worry, it's coming.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 16, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

For a sampler, how about this one from Barno:

"2-10 Terps while Fridge is head coach? Not likely. In fact, with our schedule, not possible.” Posted by: Barno1 | August 11, 2009 4:28 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 16, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what the Terps final record was this year?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 16, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Poop,

Final record was 2-10. Yikes.

I don't need you to copy-paste me. I predicted 7-5 to 8-4. I also mentioned that it could get ugly if Costa and and Campbell got injured (which they did). Truthfully, I was thinking 4-8 as really ugly. I didn't think 2-10 was a possibility. I don't mind owning up to bad predictions. By they way, I think Fridge should stay for financial reasons only. In other words, I think we will hover around .500 for two years until Fridge's contract is up.

I would be interested in your true predictions for Terps basketball.(conference record, conference standings, NCAAs)

Posted by: larry31 | December 16, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

i gotta say barno digging up the Petecard crow-eating post was heartwarming. Whodathunkit?? I actually forgot that Petcard was a (pessimistic, not a fan of GW, but nonetheless a) Terp fan. That said, had we beaten Butler in '07, I think our collective attitudes towards the program would be much more positive (thanks Barno for bringing up that particular painful memory).

My prediction is 11-5. This is a very good team. The sluggishness that almost every Terp team experiences is came at an opportune time. The freshmen have gained valuable experience and have proven they can be successful in the college game. Our high-energy big is back. EH, SM have played very well and LM seems to be back on track. GV WILL return to form. However, AB and CT need to come around as well and that may be tougher given fewer minutes to go around. And to be absolutely fair, Choi has improved tremendously though I doubt we'll play ten deep in tight games. We have a rotation of 9 (GV, SM, EH, AB, CT, LM, DG, JP and JW) that is very talented. No kool-aid in the diet. barring injury or academic f-ups, this team will cruise into the tourney in March.

We've not had a team that did not go through some sluggishness during the regular season since Joe Smith was here - even the FF and NC teams had it. The NC team had it early in the year like this team did. The Joe Smith teams played with consistent intensity; they had to with Booth and Rhodes on the floor, and Hipp was playing lights out as well before he got fat. And Joe seemed to consistently get 20+ points a game taking only 11 shots. Or maybe that team realized they had to play that way to win. I suspect this year's players will figure it out if they have not done so already.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 16, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Huge,

I am right there with you. SM has become an offensive threat while maintianng his defense and rebounding attributes. EH has become a clutch scorer. LM and GV seem to be getting back to late last year form. JW looks like a stud who is gonna occupy space in the lane and get boards. DG is one of those guys that doesn't fill the stat sheet, but everybody plays better with him on the floor. JP looks capable of providing minutes for JW, DG or LM.

I also agree that CT and AB need to step up their games a little more. There is more of a dropoff in the 7-9 players than I would like (AB, CT and JP) JP gets a pass becasue he is a freshmen.

Posted by: larry31 | December 16, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Barno that sounds great, but if we are not in the Top 10 next year are you willing to drive the Gary must go bus? I heard the same thing about how Dupree was going to take us back to the promise land now he plays at UMES or where ever he landed. What I want to see is a MD team that starts in the Top 25 never leaves the Top 25 and is a top 4 NCAA seed. Anything less next year and I think Gary must go. Gary is a good game coach and he is great at playing the little school that could card. The world's against us let's prove them wrong type of thing. I want the next Maryland coach to say no we are right there with Texas, UConn, Louisville, Florida and anyone else in the country. We will take a back seat to no one and offer no excuses. We have:

* great history
* top conference
* one of the best facilities in the country
* history of great players
* great TV exposure
* from tide water to baltimore the area is the TOP region in the country for hoops talent

Enough of the excuse get it done or GET OUT.

************************

Posted by: restonhoops | December 16, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey Yanda and Prisbell - how about some real investigative journalism like this? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/17/terps-not-shelling-out/

Posted by: Mariolucasforthree | December 17, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Next year we are losing three starters, being the top ten is not realistic.

The Washington Times has an article today about how low the assistant coach salaries are for the mens team at Maryland. It is incredible that the assistant coaches are making more for the women's team than the mens team. It is very clear that Yow needs to go for the revenue teams to prosper.

Posted by: Chief2 | December 17, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so start the bashing.

IF GW delivers as season similar to the FB team's this year, I would still defend keeping him. That said, it ain't going to happen. Worst case is we lose one of the bigs to either injury or academics and end up NIT Bound. Still, that is not terribly likely with this team. Reasonable case is we have a winning record in the ACC, 23+ wins and cruise into the NCAAs with a four seed or higher. The program is not mediocre.

Would anyone trade GW for Boeheim? Forget about the dirty winners like Calhoun and Calipari. I do not understand who the great mystery coach is that is going to take us to the promised land of 5 straight NCs and FFs in the off-years. We have to recognize that the winning tradition starts and ends with GW. No offense to Lefty, but he delivered exactly 1 ACC title in how many years? And yes, we were considered a top tier program throughout his stewardship. In fact, even after the Bias tragedy, I don't recall many folks calling for his head - the crack AD at the time made him a scapegoat. We actually do not have the tradition of a KY, UNC, KS, who have won big going back to the 60s and 70s. We are still looked at as a very good team (year-in and year-out) who is capable of making a front-runner's life hell in a big game.

Unfortunately, we had recruiting issues both with the guys we didn't get as well as a few of the guys we did get. GW seems to be the best at developing players over time to their max potential. It is our expectation that they improve year over year (Dixon, Baxter, Wilcox, Blake, etc.) as opposed to spending a year prepping for the NBA Draft (Steve F., J. Gilchrist). GW got some duds that were highly rated. He is still getting highly rated recruits, and it looks like the new ones are going to work out.

I think the whole recruiting drama from last year has rekindled GWs fire. If GV needs to break out of his slump, someone ought to hand him copies of the WaPo recruiting articles to get him motivated. To be fair, last year we were close to the last at-large team invited to the dance. This year we'll be in the "IN" column by early February and will be playing for a high seed.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 17, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I think the Washington Times article is valuable. Yow places too much of the Athletic Department's resources into Women's B-ball. It is her passion and she wants it to succeed. Unfortunately, she is doing so at the cost of football and Men's B-ball. Does anyone think that Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, Texas, Arizona or Michigan St have a higher budget for their women's assistant coaches than for their men's assistant coaches. Except for Tennessee, Women's B-ball is a non-revenue sport.

Gary Williams is not the problem. To the contrary, he does remarkably well given the f--ked up work environment he has to deal with.

Posted by: larry31 | December 17, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Hugh you're either clueless or 13 years old or maybe both. When Lefty was the coach getting into the dance was a whole lot harder and some of his best teams that in today's format would be considered legit Final 4 candidates didn't even get to the dance. I think this team will pick it up and go 9-7 or 10-6 in ACC play, but hardly be fighting for a top seed. More a 7-10 seed and probable first or second round exit. As far as what "mystery" coach will take over next your cluelessness is only matched by your lack of imagination. There are something like 330 DI coach and 330 top assistants. I'm sure none of those 600 plus candidates could come into a great situation like MD and improve on what Lefty and Gary built.

***************************************

Posted by: restonhoops | December 17, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Reston Hoops (and PeteCard),

We disagree on an important point. Due to D Yow's presence, I don't believe the environment as MD head B-ball coach is a "great situation".

If Kathy Worthington was at Duke and publicly disrespected Coach K in the same manner that she disprespected GW last year, do you think she would still be employed at Duke? How many "hot coaches" want to come to a progrma where their assistant coach payroll is the lowest in the league? I'll say it again. Gary Williams, while not perfect, is not the problem.

Posted by: larry31 | December 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I was very happy to be wrong last year about our prospects prior to the UNC Game. It was a great game and my post game comments spoke for themselves. It was good to see Barno's post and to be reminded at how obsessed he is with my posts! :) He probably sniffs the paste he uses...

Larry, it was great seeing your "research" and I applaud your work. Many of your comments I agree with. However, I must defer to the rebuttal(s) by Reston. He nails it. I have described before the fact that talking about Maryland baskeball over the past 10 years is like a Tale of Two Cities. Larry's comment about Yow has some merit, but it does not explain why over an extended period our talent just doesn't stack up with the elite programs. And in my view it won't as long as GW is the coach. That will probably be for some time to come so we just have to live with it.

At another time I will bore you all with my view of Elite, Reliably Good, Mediocre and Poor. But for now I will simply say...nice job Reston and thanks for your support Poopy....

Posted by: petecard | December 17, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi, it's funny to see that you are still relying on pre-season polls...

In the latest AP Poll (now that the teams have actually played about 10 games apiece), Maryland is not ranked and received NO votes.

That puts the Terps behind Duke, UNC, G Tech, Clemson, Miami, Fl State, Va Tech, NC State and Wake. That's 9 teams. Maryland is at the bottom with Virginia and BC.

Not a very good place to be. Would you say we are mediocre so far...or is it worse than that?

Of course Barno is just fine with where we are...

Posted by: petecard | December 17, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Reston -

In terms of my cluelessness, yes Lefty assembled some great teams. The famous team that lost to NC State in the ACC championship might have been FF worthy but didn't get to dance is always the example of why the field was expanded. However, there can be no denying that GW has surpassed Lefty with his accomplishments on the court, cleanly.

In terms of the mystery coach, I am asking for names. I don't know of any and can't think of any that would come in to the job and outperform GW.

With you prediction of 10-6/9-7 they still cruise into the tourney albeit with a slightly lower seed. Where they exit at that point will likely define how we collectively look back at this season. It is a bit of a crap shoot in the tourney. Talent does not always win in the early rounds. A guard with a hot hand usually does and can carry a team to the E8.

I will ask that you refrain from personal attacks as to my "cluelessness" or age. I make it apoint to try and stay on the topics at hand and voice my opinion. Since I am a fan, maybe my opinions are tainted with optimism in your opinion. However, our predictions are not that far off of one anothers. I have not yet made any personal attacks on this board nor will I regardless of what is said about me.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 17, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Barno, here's a good one from him. I post since today Vinny Cerrato is no longer a member of the Redskins Organization. Thank goodness.

Anyways....

“Viva Vinny. The guy is one has blossomed into one of the better talent evaluators in the game. Of course, Redskins fans refuse to acknowledge this, but they will be forced by next January.”

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 17, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

How did Texas become a year in year out Final 4 threat? They weren't that 10 years ago?

How about Sean Miller that just went to Arizona he would of been a great new coach for MD. How about Fran McCaffery (Siena coach) Brad Stevens (Butler coach). How about Jeff Capel? magine the recruits he could bring in. I've been impressed by what he's done at Oaklahoma, but I bet he's itching to get back the East Coast and the ACC.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 17, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Petecard and RestonHoops,

Very good question: How did Texas get so damn good?

I suspect Rick Barnes has a lot of $upport from his AD. I also suspect that GW has done a lot with very little $upport.

I will try to dig up some info on the budgets of various "elite" men's b-ball programs. I am thinking Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, Texas, Mich St, UNC and Duke.

I hope the following is a fair characterization of our disagreement:
You think there are plenty of coaches (at least 5) that could come in and be more effective than Gary given the same level of support.

I think Gary has done very well given the support he receives from MD's athletic dept.

At this point, our disgreement is all conjecture. Let me do some research.

By the way Reston, I like your list of potential candidates. Good choices if Gary was to retire, except Sean Miller. He has gotten a lot of static from some of his ex-players, so I am still on the fence with him.

Thanks for your responses.

Posted by: larry31 | December 17, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Can't Barno come up with the money then? ;-) It's not like MD is North Dakota. I think if Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, and a few others had made their way to College Park the last few years there would of been plenty of money for everyone. I want a coach that is going to swing for the fences not one that always wants to beat out a grounder to first and talk about how scrappy he is considering his lack of athletic ability.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 17, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Part of building a major college program today is having "juice" and charisma to bring in donors and recruits. Can you sell that you're the guy and where the program is headed. They are having a down year this year, but look at how Ben Howland really turned around a UCLA program that was a little in the dumps before he got there. I just don't think in today's world Gary is enough of a salesman or even has a desire to be a salesman. He's had a great career and he's earned that right he should just go do that at Holy Cross or Bucknell or someplace where that approach is a better fit. I know everyone's excited about next years class which is rated in the top 25 by everyone. The problem is its really a top 25 class because of the overall number of top 100 recruits we are bringing and the two services I looked at had us 6th, yes 6th, in the ACC for recruiting classes next year. Last time I looked we are in the ACC and if our "good year" is 6th something is rotten in Denmark and its not just the Global Warming crowd.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 17, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I take the Gary haters with a grain of salt. They're like Philly fans. When things are going good and you're winning, you're the greatest. However, if you hit a rough streak, they want you fired yesterday.

Gary's a man of integrity and he's a winner. He does a lot in the community and is a great representative for the University.

The HOG need to get over it. He's here to stay for as long as he wants so, get used to it or go hop on the UNC bandwagon with every other dipsh*t.

Posted by: Section505203 | December 17, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Petecard,

Preseason is the only place where they rank the ACC teams. Do you care to show me rankings or any proof supporting this statement of yours?

"Seems that we are rated near the bottom of the ACC so most wins will be an upset."

Posted by: fushezzi | December 17, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

***************************************

That's your opinion. I think he often comes across as petulant and boorish. Sorry I love the terps, but that's what I think. The Terps and Gary Williams are not one in the same. I'm thinking of times like when he criticized the MVC for getting to many bids and how the Terps would run right through the MVC. When he was promptly offered home and aways by every MVC AD he got quiet. If Gary had the strength of his own convictions he would of agreed to play someone like a Creighton home and away to prove his point, but I don't think he wanted his hat handed to him so he scheduled Morgan State instead. How'd that work out?

Posted by: restonhoops | December 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

And please don't give me AP votes.

I'll put $50 that UMD finishes in the top 5 in the ACC. If you believe UMD ranks near the bottom of the ACC I'd be more than happy to paypal you the money when it does.

But go ahead and give me the "I dont bet" line and continue trolling.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

MD will be in the 5-8 range. With a sr and jr dominated team that is nothing to brag about. 5th would be passable I guess, but if it ends up being more 7th or 8th Gary really needs to go.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 17, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Reston,

Agreed. 7th or 8th with a senior-laden team woudl be very disappointing. And I don't think it gets you into the dance this year. 3-5 should do it. Teams will be bunched at the top.

Posted by: larry31 | December 17, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi, your predictions are so sweet.

You are such a wonderful fan. What flavor of Koolaid do you prefer?

Be careful, Barno might attack you for thinking the Terps will only finish in the Top 5.

Larry, you seem to have a realistic view of where we are headed this year. I don't buy in to your claims about why our recruiting is below par.

It's a pleasure to read Reston's comments. I feel like I wrote them. It's sort of like my theory that Barno is really GW....Reston is Petecard! (sorry Reston, not fair to hang that one on you...but keep up the good work).

Posted by: petecard | December 18, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts exactly. I was wondering if PeteCard and RestonHoops were (evil?)twins. Just kidding. When I want to address you collectively I can just refer to you as PeteHoops.

As I stated, my lack of $upport is just conjecture at this point...I will try to look deeper and get some facts. However, I think it speaks of Yow's lack of support that Women's Hoops gets a higher assistant payroll than the Men's Hoops...you can't dump that on Gary.

Question: Who performs better at their job? GW or Yow?

Posted by: larry31 | December 18, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I prefer RestonCard :-)

Posted by: restonhoops | December 18, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hah! Just curious, how many of you MD fans this summer thought 2-10 was a real possibility for the Terps football team this year? If you posted they'd be 2-10 or worse, show us that post. (one guy, Hclark, did actually say they'd be 2-10, repeatedly, but he hated MD)

Since my comment about Vinny was brought up, let me just say I still stand by my belief that Cerrato was a very good talent evaluator. For every miss (Duckett, Lloyd, Archuletta, Durant, J. Taylor) there was more than twice as many hits (Fletcher, Griffin, Dockery, Sean Taylor, Cooley, Cartright, D. Thomas, F. Davis, Orakpo, Golston, Horton, Rocky, Campbell etc). The man was not ready to be a GM in my opinion, and never showed he was capable of managing the salary cap or identifying areas of need. But his eye for talent wasn't debatable, especially when you consider his success as director of scouting and player personnel with the 49ers in the 90s.

The 2008 class will likely go down as the greatest Redskins draft of the last 25 years. Not since the 83 class of Darrell Green, Charles Mann, Kelvin Bryant have the Redskins acquired so much talent in one draft. (I'm not counting the 2000 draft since having the 2nd and 3rd overall picks skews it, and Samuels and Arrington were can't-misses)

But make no mistake, I am thrilled the Skins hired Bruce Allen as GM and think the future is very bright...in large part because of the solid core of young players the Redskins have acquired in recent years thanks to the most hated man in town.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 18, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: restonhoops | December 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

restonhoops, so this is your thing, coming on an internet blog and attempting to smear someone with lies? you've posted this very same lie on here before and it's time someone called you out on it. Making up a blatant lie and then questioning Gary Williams' convictions based on that lie? Wow.

Please provide us all with a link to an article from a credible new organization which states that every MVC AD offered the Terps home and aways with in the past 5 years.

So confident am I that you have made this nonsense up, that if you can actually provide us with a credible news link verifying your claim, I will gladly give you 2 free tickets, court-side, to a Terps mens basketball home game this season. However, if you cannot come up with said proof, I propose you never post on this blog again.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 18, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: restonhoops | December 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"would of"

Seriously, would "of"? So in addition to being a loser who makes up lies and spreads them on the internet, you're also illiterate too? Nice.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 18, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you are such a miserable sot.

You spend so much time on trying to shut people up it's ridiculous. You are always telling people to stop posting...just go away...that is those that don't agree with you. And you have zero sense of humor.

What's worse is now we have to put up with your Redskin BS on a Maryland blog. You are are such a bore.

Posted by: petecard | December 18, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Barno, how you like these apples?

MVC vs. Maryland: The Missouri Valley Conference isn't letting Gary Williams off the hook. More than half the schools in the league have called the Maryland offices to schedule a home-and-home series with the Terps in response to Williams' tough-talking quotes earlier this month in the Washington Post. Love it.

Gary is a coward who hides behind being the "underdog" and so are you.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 19, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Barno if Gary is so the man why doesn't he offer Creighton a home and home right now for the next two years and see if they take. I have $10,000 that says they would. I also have another $10,000 that Gary won't do it. He knows a loss when he sees it. Better to lose to VA Tech twice and pretend they are a good team or Clemson three times like we did a few years back.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 19, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

RestonHoops, if that's the only proof you got then it seems Barno1 was right. Where is the proof that every MVC athletic director called Gary and that he "got quiet"? All I see from your link is some blogger claiming one school in the MVC had actually called MD and hadn't heard back that same day, and it was during the ACC tournament!

You SHOULD stop posting comments, if you are going to continue coming on here and smearing Gary with silly lies.

Is it really too much to expect to go on a Maryland Terrapins blog and not have people smearing the man who build this program from the ashes? Who are these people??

"The Terps and Gary Williams are not one in the same."

REALLY? If that's how you feel you are on the wrong blog

Posted by: nick122 | December 19, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The Tought Police are out in force.

Barno, Nick and some others always telling people they aren't wanted on this blog...

What a joke.

Drink up Koolaid Kids...

Posted by: petecard | December 19, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Nicky. Your lies aren't going to cover your hero Gary. The blogger which happens to be a CBS Sportsline writer so not exactly like Barno writing a post said that HALF the MVC contacted MD about playing. That was all he knew about at that time. Others could of contacted or did later, but at least HALF were confirmed.

As far as this ""The Terps and Gary Williams are not one in the same."

REALLY? If that's how you feel you are on the wrong blog"

So what you are saying is when Gary is gone whether its next year as I wish or in a few more years when the empty seats will demand it you are done being a MD fan? It sounds as if you're more a Gary fan than a MD fan. It makes sense then that you don't hold him to a high standard. Your concern is not really MD but Gary. I'll leave you with this and EVERY Maryland fan on this board including little Nicky and Barno know this is true. Texas and UNC played a great game today with two top 10 teams with multiple future NBA players. Both of these programs have reloaded multiple times since our glory run almost a decade ago. It kills me and I know that it kills everyone that is a MARYLAND fan that we haven't been in a game like that since 2002 and it doesn't seem to be on the immediate horizon either. I want multiple AAs on a semi regular basis so we can play the Kentuckys, Texases, Ugotconneds, Louisvilles, UCLAs, anytime anyplace and match them. This is the EIGHTH season of at best mediocrity since our championship game. How much mediocrity are YOU willing to accept? 10 years? 15? Sorry to burst your bubble, but next year's class without adding a stud with the last spot (which is looking less and less likely) is not good enough to take us back anywhere other than a borderline Top 25 team.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 19, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

More bad news for Ralph - Bruce Campbell officially declared for the NFL draft yesterday. I think this was expected as the pundits are projectinghim as a first round pick. Still, one more (gaping) hole to fill. Anyone have an idea of who would replace him on the line? I believe Costa's eligibility is gone but I bet one of you can confirm. Wish the blog would address.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 20, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

What will follow are several posts related to analysis I have done for ranking teams based on their performances in the NCAA Tournament for the past 10-year and 6-year periods.

Here are the results:

Maryland was the TOP-rated program in the 4 years from 2000-2003 (Tournament Years).

For the next 6 years (2004-2009) the Terps are rated 42nd and are in a category I call "Mediocre Programs."

For the 10-year period from 2000-2009 the Terps are rated 13th and are in in a category I call "Very Good Programs."

Here is a breakdown of the key performance indicators:

10 Years

Tournaments Made 7
Sweet 16's Made 3
Elite Eights Made 2
Finals Fours 2
Championships 1
Overall Ranking 13th (Very Good Program)

Last 6 Years

Tournaments Mades 3
Sweet 16's Made 0
Elite Eights Made 0
Final Four's 0
Championships 0
Overall Ranking 42nd (Mediocre Program)

Prior 4 Years

Tournaments Made 4
Sweet 16's Made 3
Elite Eights Made 2
Final Fours 2
Championships 1
Overall Ranking 1st (Elite Program)

You can argue with my rankings, but the actual performance details are FACT. I will be happy to answer questions about the rankings and provide more details in other posts.

The Bottom Line is this:

We look like a "Tale of Two Cities."

For 10 years we are fine and some will argue "Elite." But I have a high standard for Elite.

We were great for a 4-year stretch, but that was essentially with a core group of guys and two very good years.

For the past 6 years we have basically stunk up the joint. 3 of 6 Tournaments and ZERO Sweet 16's.

Sorry, but I don't see a dramatic improvement going forward.

More to follow....

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

2000 – 2009 (10 Years)

Elite Programs

Of the Top 20 College Basketball Programs based on performance in the NCAA Tournament from 2000-2009 (last 10 years), there are 10 schools that have Elite Programs, based on the following criteria:

•Make the Tournament at least 8 of 10 years
•Make the Sweet Sixteen at least 5 of 10 years
•Make the Elite Eight at least 3 of 10 years
•If the above criteria are not meant, Final Fours and Championships can be considered.

The Elite Programs during this 10 year period are:

1. Michigan State
2. Kansas
3. North Carolina
4. Connecticut
5. Duke
6. UCLA
7. Arizona
8. Texas
9. Florida
10. Oklahoma

Duke, which only had 2 Elite Eight teams, is given credit for making the Tournament all 10 years, making the Regionals 8 times, getting both of its Elite Eight Teams to the Final Four and winning one Championship.

Florida only made 3 Regionals, but all of those teams made the Elite Eight and 2 won Championships.

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Very Good Programs

The next 10 schools could be categorized as having Very Good Programs during the 10 year period, with 10 reaching the Elite Eight at least 2 times. The one exception is Syracuse, which made it one time to the Elite Eight, but did win a Championship and made the Tournament 7 times. These schools are:

11. Wisconsin
12. Illinois
13. Maryland
14. Louisville
15. Oklahoma State
16. Syracuse
17. Kentucky
18. Villanova
19. Xavier
20. Memphis State

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Good Programs

There are 15 schools that could be considered to have Good Programs during the 10 year period. These schools made the Tournament at least 5 times and reached at least 2 Regionals or 1 Final Four. These schools are:

21. Pittsburgh

47. Washington
48. Texas A&M
49. Miami

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

2004 – 2009 (6 Years)

Elite Programs

Of the Top College Basketball Programs based on performance in the NCAA Tournament from 2004-2009 (last 6 years), there are 11 schools that have Elite Programs, based on the following criteria:

• Make the Tournament at least 5 of 6 years
• Make the Sweet Sixteen at least 3 of 6 years
• Make the Elite Eight at least 2 of 6 years
• If the above criteria are not meant, Final Fours and Championships can be considered.

The Elite Programs during this 6 year period are*:

1. North Carolina (3)
2. Kansas (2)
3. Connecticut (4)
4. Florida (9)
5. Michigan State (1)
6. UCLA (6)
7. Louisville (14)
8. Texas (8)
9. Memphis State (20)
10. Villanova (18)
11. Xavier (19)

* 10-year rank in parentheses

Florida only made the Tournament 4 times and the Elite Eight 2 times, but 2 Championships kept them in the Elite category.

Duke, Arizona and Oklahoma moved down to the Very Good Program category when only the last 6 years are considered.

Louisville, Memphis State, Villanova and Xavier moved up from the Very Good Program category when only the last 6 years are considered.

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Very Good Programs

The next 9 schools could be categorized as having Very Good Programs during the most recent 6-year period based on the following criteria:

•Make the Tournament at least 5 of 6 years
•Make the Sweet Sixteen 2 of 6 years
•Make the Elite Eight at least 1 time
or
•Totals of Tournaments, Sweet Sixteens and Elite Eights made are at least 7.

The Very Good Programs during this 6-year period are *:

12. Duke (5)
13. Pittsburgh (21)
14. Illinois (12)
15. Arizona (7)
16. Wisconsin (11)
17. West Virginia (35)
18. Oklahoma (10)
19. Kentucky (17)
20. Gonzaga (22)

• 10-year rank in parentheses

Oklahoma State and Syracuse moved down to the Good Program category when only the last 6 years are considered.

Maryland moved down to the Mediocre Program category when only the last 6 years are considered.

Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Gonzaga moved up from the Good Program category when only the last 6 years are considered.

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Good Programs

There are 15 schools that could be considered to have Good Programs during the most recent 6- year period. These schools made the Tournament at least 3 of 6 years, made a Regional at least 1 of 6 years and had totals for Tournaments, Sweet Sixteens and Elite Eights made of at least 5.

The Good Programs during this 6-year period are:

31. Vanderbilt
32. Washington
33. Texas A&M
34. Southern Illinois
35. Stanford

Mediocre Programs

There are 10 schools that could be considered to have Mediocre Programs during the most recent 6-year period. These schools made the Tournament no more than 3 of 6 years and made 1 or 0 Regionals.

The Mediocre Programs during this 6-year period are:

35. USC
36. Purdue
37. Wake Forest
38. NC State
39. Butler
40. St. Josephs
41. Oregon
42. Maryland
43. Indiana
44. Marquette

Poor Programs

All other programs would be rated in the Poor category.

ACC schools in this category include Miami, Virginia, Clemson, Florida State and Virginia Tech.

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Two corrections:

In the Very Good Category for the last 10 years, 9 of the 10 schools reached the Elite Eight at least 2 times, with Syracuse as the lone exception.

For Mediocre Programs in the last 6 years, the ranking are 36-45, starting with USC at 36.

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Great analysis PeteCard. Good tag team on the rag tag band of Gary apologists. Your rankings are about where I see us a 35-45 program which is an absolute joke. That great run is going to start rolling off our 10 year average and the bloom is coming off the rose. I hope Gary has a picture of Dixon and Blake next to his bed because he would of been out of College Park a long time ago without the feats and leadership of those two.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 21, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

PeteHoops,

I don't disagree with any of your analysis concerning the last 10 years.

I think I can accurately and succinctly summarize them:
2000-2004 MD was an elite program. 2005-2009 MD was "mediocre". Still no room for "average". Technically, with so many D-1 programs, being ranked in the top 50 still ranks as well above average. But, in essence I agree, we should expect more than top 40 over a 5 year period.

Two points of disagreement:

1) I think ranking in the Top-25 over a five year period is reasonable. Expecting Top-5 status is tough (though not impossible) unless you have an AD that is dedicated exclusively on the success of MEN'S B-ball.

We will just politely agree to disagree on this highly subjective point.

2) I don't think MD is such a "great situation" to succeed in MEN'S B-ball given the priorities of D. Yow. Again, I will be looking at Men's B-ball budgets of other schools and comparing them to MD...shouldn't Yanda and Prisbell be doing this stuff? Perhaps my opinion will change.

In the mean time, I am boldly predicting a victory against Winston-Salem State!

Posted by: larry31 | December 21, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Larry31,

You will note that I rated Programs as Elite, Very Good, Good Medicocre and Poor.

Mediocre is Average...

Barno is GW... :)

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Petecard, what you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent posts were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this blog is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

So now we know...Barno is GW!!!!!

Barno,

I don't need ever again to comment on your postings as your latest one speaks for itself.

Deny the facts, drink the Koolaid and win unanamous election to the Koolaid Drinkers Hall of Medicrity Bliss.

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

PeteHoops,

If Barno was GW, he would have mentioned the 2002 NC in every post that he writes! (Ha! I crack myself up.)

Also, He would have told you to to f--k off, subsequently kicked off the blog and been done with it in a single post. (Which is one of the things a like about GW)

Posted by: larry31 | December 21, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I love Pete boy's cherry picked "objective" criteria for an elite program. Like 8 NCAA tourneys in 10 years. Gee, how convenient that the Terps just miss out on this threshold bc they've "only" been to 7 in last 10 years. Or how about his 3 Elite 8s in 10 years criteria. Gee, how convenient the Terps just miss out on this one too, with "only" 2 elite 8s in the last 10 years. Or how bout the 5 sweet 16s threshold...again, how convenient.

Also look at what is noticeably absent in Pete Boy's "ojbective" criteria: losing seasons, and failure to even make the NIT. Gee, guess you couldn't have UNC rated so high on that list if you included those items, since they lost a whopping 36 games in 01/02 and 02/03. (Has MD had any losing seasons in the last 10? Have they even come close to a losing season??) Guess you couldn't have UConn or Syracuse so high on the list either, considering they failed to even qualify to the NIT during that span. But alas, that criteria was so conveniently left out since it didn't help Pete Boy's argument that Maryland is somehow a mediocre program.

Or how bout Florida? Has a national champion ever fallen so fast? Missing the tournament back to back years immediately following a title? But let's not use that as a factor either, eh Pete Boy?

Also love how this guy is willing to augment the criteria for certain teams that didn't meet all his standards, but gives no such credit to MD...for instance, for coming very close to winning back to back NCAA titles. And let's not take into consideration that MD lost its best player to injury early in its first NIT season, and lost its highest scorer to academics early in its 2nd NIT season. But nope, there will be no taking any of that into consideration since that wouldn't help the argument that MD is a mediocre program.

It's plainly obvious to the vast majority of Terps fans that don't have some misguided hatred of Gary Williams that this team has had the best decade in its history--and that fact is not debatable.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 21, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Here's someone else's breakdown of the decade. It has MD ranked the 8th best program of the 2000s.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 21, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh look, here's another breakdown of best programs of the decade. This one has MD ranked 7th.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 21, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Here's another one, MD ranked 9th.

I wonder how MD could have ranked lower on Pete Boy's rankings than ALL of these lists? Could it be that he suppressed data that didn't help his argument, and inflated data that did help his case? Hmmm...Pete, have you been hanging out with the scientists at the Climate Research unit in Norwich lately? hahaha

Posted by: Barno1 | December 21, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Great points barno. Petcard really thougt we were that stupid that we'd fall for his skewed rankings. I wonder how much time he wasted on that crap.

You get the idea him and restnhoops sit around watching maryland games and root for the other team, so they can come on this blog and say they were right that we are mediocre. With fans like them, who needs rivals?

Gary is the man, if you hate him so much go root for Duke.

Posted by: sic1th | December 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Barno we make not like their coaches methods, but you have clearly lost any grasp with reality if you think on a national level anyone puts MD about Florida, UConn or Syracuse as a program. You add some of the rising programs like Pitt, Tennessee, and Oklahoma and PeteCard's point is driven. On a national level MD DOES NOT register. I don't think MD has to be a top 5 program year in and out, but we have not been a top 30 program for going on a decade very quickly.

Posted by: restonhoops | December 21, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: restonhoops | December 21, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Boy, I don't understand a word you just said. We speak English on this blog, Reston. Here's some useful info that can help you with your issue:

Posted by: Barno1 | December 21, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you have zero sense of humor.

You are are such a bore.

Posted by: petecard | December 18, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Posted by: petecard | December 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

In summary: Petecard blasts Barno for not having a sense of humor. Barno drops a classic Billy Madison line on him. Petecard responds in disgust, taking the Billy Madison line literally. The irony is pretty thick here folks (though me thinks it is lost on Pete Boy).

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and predict Restonhoops won't get the Napoleon Dynamite reference either.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 21, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse