Mosley shoulders heavy offensive load

The offensive progression of sophomore guard Sean Mosley continued in Sunday night's loss to Villanova, as the Baltimore native tallied a game-high 26 points on 11-of-14 shooting. On the season, Mosley is leading the team in scoring (14.8 points per game), field goal shooting percentage (64.3 percent) and playing time (31.9 minutes per game). And while Coach Gary Williams appreciates all of that production, he said after the game Sunday night that it is Mosley's entire body of work that makes him so valuable.

"Sean Mosley is one of those guys that is great to have on a team because of how hard he goes," Williams said. On Sunday, "he really shot it well, but even without shooting the ball well he does so many things that he really helps your team."

Indeed, Mosley also recored five rebounds, two assists and a pair of steals against Villanova. He ranks second on the team in rebounding (5.3 per game) and assists (3.5 per game), and is tied for the team lead in steals (14).

During a first half Sunday night in which not a whole lot went right for the Terrapins, it was the offensive efforts of Mosley and freshman forward Jordan Williams that ensured Villanova did not enter halftime with more than an 11-point lead. They were the only Maryland players to make more than one shot from the field in the opening period, and they scored a combined 22 points before the break.

Mosley, in fact, made all five of his shots in the first half and was nearly as efficient after the intermission. It wasn't merely that Mosley effectively carried the Terrapins on his back for stretches during last night's game; it was that he realized his team needed him to do so and embraced such an opportunity.

"He was really looking for his shot," Gary Williams said. "In other words, against a good team like Villanova you don't get open for long, and every time he was open it seemed like he was getting the shot off before they could react to him. It was the same problem we were having down on the other end. He saw his opportunities and did a great job."

The problem for Maryland, Williams pointed out, was that the Terrapins had to shoot well because they weren't pulling down too many offensive rebounds. Maryland shot 52.8 percent on the night.

"I feel as though I know I can get my shots in the offense, and I feel as though my teammates have a lot of trust in me, just finding me when I’m wide open," Mosley said. "Coach said if you’re open take the shot, and I’m not second guessing myself like I was doing last year. I feel as though I played great today, but at the end of the day we lost so it really doesn’t mean nothing to me."

By Steve Yanda  |  December 7, 2009; 1:28 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: J. Williams 'a force' against Villanova
Next: Maryland awaits Gregory's return

Comments

Love this kid. Mosley is flat out our best player now. If GV can just start running the show and penetrating to get our guys more open looks instead of forcing his shots we will be a tough team come March.

One thing I would like to see is for the the team to show more of a commitment to getting the ball into the post. That's a fundamental missing from this offense right now and I think J. Williams has shown that he can be effective down low.

Posted by: lavar609 | December 7, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

It does seem to me that Mosley is more adept than GV at passing - perhaps a shade behind EH. We need to develop the inside out game during this stretch of patsies prio to the ACC season. JW should be getting a lot more touches going forward - it is this teams surest path to greatness.

Maybe the answer is sit GV a bit more. AB seems to be off of his game so maybe he sits a bit more too. We have a ten deep rotation when DG returns. I think GW is more comfortable with 8 in the rotation.

Any sign or word on Goins?

Posted by: HughGRection | December 7, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, have to disagree with you on that one. I think Mosley is a fine passer, don't get me wrong...but Vasquez is one of the best passers in the nation--it's just that he doesn't do it enough. Guy has great court vision and a knack for driving and kicking to the cutting man from the wing right on target. He just needs to do more of it.

Every year since he's been here there have been stretches, like the current one, in which fans are beside themselves about Vasquez's shot selection and overall out of control play. And every year, Vasquez has followed these stretches with much improved play, more consistency, and better shot selection. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Vasquez will again follow this poor stretch and with much improved play and he'll get things under control before long.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 7, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow look at barno-the-Ms.-Cleo, predicting Vasquez to eventually break out of his slump and find his game.

Wow, what a prediction folks.......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 7, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I like how Barno doesn't respond to McPoopy anymore...good for Barno and good for the board. McPoopy stalks Barno around like he stole McPoopy's girlfriend or something. Get a life dude.

Posted by: Terps4life | December 7, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"McPoopy stalks Barno around like he stole McPoopy's girlfriend or something"

Line of the year.

Agree with Terps4life, better for the baord if those two don't get into it. Can't we all just get along?!?

Posted by: umd0220100 | December 7, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Also, I happen to agree with Barno1 that Vsaquez goes into these slumps every year and fans forget all about the good games he has and will have. Yea he may cost youa game here or there like last nihgt, but he will on his own win twice as many for this team as he costs us.

Posted by: umd0220100 | December 7, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry terpy4life but Barno responded to me rather recently actually.

Oh well, guess you're another one of those Terp Alum who has reading comprehension problems.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 7, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

"...but Vasquez is one of the best passers in the nation--it's just that he doesn't do it enough. Guy has great court vision and a knack for driving and kicking to the cutting man from the wing right on target. He just needs to do more of it." - Barno1

I half agree with this. He's a highly skilled passer and has great court vision, but hasn't seemed to improve much in his below-average decision making the last three years. A great example were his 2 or 3 (I can't remember which it was" offensive fouls Sunday night -- all coming while trying to drive and kick.

"Every year since he's been here there have been stretches, like the current one, in which fans are beside themselves about Vasquez's shot selection and overall out of control play. And every year, Vasquez has followed these stretches with much improved play, more consistency, and better shot selection." - Barno1

True. And he has then followed those good stretches again with poor stretches. The problem is that Vasquez is streaky and inconsistent, and has been his entire MD career. It's one thing during his Soph season, but then again his Jr and now apparently his Sr seasons, as well.

In the previous two seasons, he was almost all we had a lot of times, so GW had to deal with it. But this year we have a more confident and aggressive Hayes and much improved Mosley. Vasquez needs to realize this, and realize that he's at best the 4th best outside shooter on the team, and by far the biggest turnover guy.

If he truly wants to be the team leader, he'd concentrate on getting his teammates scoring opportunities and let his just come within the flow of the game.

Posted by: segastyle | December 7, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Here is the bottom line on Vasquez and his "slump"... HE IS KILLING US.

We are in a big per-conference hole, having not won a game against a good team and GV is a big, big reason.

But Gary will get him straightened out, right?

Posted by: petecard | December 7, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

GV has proven to be a very good college player as well as a very good ACC player. But he is a Senior making the same mistakes ha made as a Sophomore. If we win big this year, I am certain he will be a big part of it. But it seems more certain, given the play thus far, that Mosley will be a bigger part of it. The mistakes get magnified during the furious comebacks that we have grown accustomed to with Gary (lets face it, MD is THE furious comeback team from hell for a lot of top tier programs) but I think that poor TEAM play in the first half (other than JW and SM) sunk us more than anything else.

Maybe I am wrong in that I compare GV to St. Juan and the way he conducted himself on court in delivering big wins - its unfair to him. But the contrast is that we may have seen Juan mis the occasional shot, but they were never dumb shots to begin with.

To be fair to Barno's point - GV has proven to be a great passer in the past whereas Mosley has had a good stretch of games during the losses. I do believe that Hayes remains the best passer on this team and should be kept on the court MORE than the other guards who are all score first PGs or SGs with ballhandling abilities. GV seems to pressing right now and WILL play himself through it. We have a good team, and I think we'll be disagreeing on this board on how to best deploy the talent to deliver the best team possible. 9-7 in the ACC is entirely achievable this year - I think 11-5 is a more reasonable goal. We lost a few dumb ones last year and did not have the inside presence until February or so that we already have displayed this year without DG.

So I am going out on a limb so that all the cut-n-pasters can haunt me with throughout the year. We get to the NCAA without drama this year with 10+ wins in the ACC (based on the losses thus far this year but I think I am seeing some good things).

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 8, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

GV will get it together, and he did not cost us the Nova game. Nova shot lights out the whole game, not many teams in the country would have beaten them the way they were shooting.

I'm with Hugh, 10-6 ACC campaign and a dreaded 5 seed in the tourney. Now about those 5-12 games...

Posted by: jpfterps | December 8, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse