Report: Ross no longer committed to Maryland

Shooting guard Terrence Ross, once the centerpiece of Maryland's 2010 recruiting class, has decommitted from the Terrapins, according to a report on the website that covers Duke basketball for Rivals.com. The report states that Ross, a 6-foot-5, 185-lb. senior at Montrose Christian, is now open to considering other programs -- including the Blue Devils -- after originally providing a verbal commitment to Maryland last spring.

Rivals.com rates Ross as the No. 43 overall recruit in the 2010 class; Scout.com slots him at No. 93 overall in the class of '10.

Ross was expected to join point guard Terrell Stoglin, small forward Mychal Parker and power forward Ashton Pankey -- each of whom signed letters of intent during the fall signing period -- in forming a Maryland recruiting class that would rank in the top 20 in the nation. While it remains possible Ross still will sign with the Terrapins, such a prospect seems cloudier at this point.

By Steve Yanda  |  December 30, 2009; 9:17 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When one problem leads to another
Next: J. Williams progressing well

Comments

Fire Debbie Yow.

Nobody care about non-revenue sports. She's Dan Snyder-ing the Terps.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | December 30, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be nice to get a Top 10 recruit? Seems like Duke and NC get 5-6 of the Top 20 every year. And then we have to fight to get the #93 guy!!!

But then Gary doesn't do the AAU game like everybody else.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 30, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm a proud Marylander and a proud Xavier alum. When my (4,000 student, A10 member, no Final Fours) school is consistently outrecruiting my home state (ACC, 37,000 students, two Final Fours, one National Title) school... something is wrong. I love Gary, but it's time for him to think of a graceful exit plan. He's just not able to recruit anymore - doesn't seem like his staff are any help at all either.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 30, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Xavier needs to find a coach capable of winning a National Championship, or at least getting past the elite 8.

A coaches job isn't simply about recruiting. He may not be an elite recruiter but I would be hard pressed to find a better game coach than Gary.

Pick your poison.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 30, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Dude wouln't play much behind Mosley and Tucker.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 30, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

In Gary, I trust.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | December 30, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, hope against hope, this report isn't legit? I mean, it's coming from the Blue Satans' blog? Is there any way of corroborating the de-commitment?

Posted by: JEp1 | December 30, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh this kid can play! it's not a matter of him ont playing, if he gained 10-15 more pounds his stock has risen from the 40's to top 25.

he played at Montrose and was a key junior contributing.

Posted by: oknow1 | December 30, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fushezzi | December 30, 2009 12:39 PM

I agree - remember when I said that I love Gary - don't get all defensive (oh wait, it's the Internet). He runs a great system on both ends of the court, but he doesn't have the horses to compete on a significant national level. Maryland's size, facilities and conference affiliation should afford them access to top 40 recruits on a regular basis. It's not that difficult - even little Wake Forest manage it.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 30, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Is there any way of corroborating the de-commitment?

Posted by: JEp1 | December 30, 2009 12:55 PM

It's not a de-commitment, Ross can do whatever he wants with a verbal and no letter of intent signed. He's not committed to UMD at all. Kids "open up" their recruiting process a lot. Some times it's no big deal - but more often it means they go somewhere else.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 30, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

It's an understatement to call this discouraging. I know Mosley looks great at the two but losing a top recruit like this (again) really hurts the perception of the program and future recruiting. This is real unfortunate.

Posted by: lavar609 | December 30, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

That wasn't a defensive comment. It was more of a laid back, matter of opinion response but there's really no way to convey tone over email.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 30, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

to finish, Tucker will be a senior next year. Mosley for all his hustle, his game could use some help. this kid is nice and would get plenty of playing time.

MD needs to do whatever to get this kid back on board.

Posted by: oknow1 | December 30, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JEp1 | December 30, 2009 12:55 PM

Terrapin Times says his facebook confirms it.

Posted by: Colm1 | December 30, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I can not believe people did not see this coming. When I read that Ross was not going to sign until spring, I new he had a change of heart. People, you can not trust the word of any player out there. I`m sure there were other coaches out there giving cars and money to players. Maybe the coach at Kentucky had a hand in this. Just throwing that out there.

Posted by: jahalt | December 30, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Where's Stu Vetter in all this? What's the point of Gary W giving Stu V key's to the comcast center if he can't keep his players from de-commiting. Wasn't the whole point of keeping T Ross out of the summer circuit is so that this type of thing wouldn't happen. T Ross going to Kentucky I can live with becuase T Ross has always stated it was his dream to play for Calipari, but Duke is just unacceptable. UMD needs to cut all ties with Under Armour and get back to Nike

Posted by: fzuylen | December 30, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Steve,
So you're basically posting stuff from the Duke Rivals site as if it is 100% legit? I would like a few more sources than that before I printed something. C'mon brother! This is The Washington Post, not a chat room!

Posted by: aviscardo | December 30, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

ummmm wow.. Gary's demise is closer at hand than even I thought. I'm no Gary fan at all, but this is getting sad to watch...

Posted by: restonhoops | December 30, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse