Surprised with the loss?

William & Mary can play. They knew it. Maryland knew it. And (if they didn't know it already) the 16,418 in attendance Wednesday night at Comcast Center now knows it. The Tribe has now defeated four teams that qualified for the NCAA tournament last season (Wake Forest, VCU, Radford and Maryland). That said, I'm curious as to how surprised you all were with last night's outcome. Feel free to provide explanation in the comment section below, as well as to email with any thoughts or questions at yandas@washpost.com

By Steve Yanda  |  December 31, 2009; 8:17 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tribe hands Maryland 83-77 defeat
Next: Maryland can't help themselves against Tribe

Comments

I know William and Mary. Me and William and Mary go back a long way. That being said, Maryland does not lose this game....with or without Mosley. You guys have been following the Atlantic 11 too much. And in my opinion, RPIs mean jack s--- this early in the season.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 30, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------

It doesn't get more wrong than this. Hopefully some New Years Jagerbombs can erase this game from my memory.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 31, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I wish I was more surprised. I've been less surprised with each successive loss so far this season.

Posted by: acebojangles | December 31, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

No surprise indeed. Terps early season performances have been inconsistent for years. Coach Williams came close to predicting the looss. W&M was much the better team and may well be so by season's end. It's not easy to be enthusiastic about the Terps anymore. Ah well, it's been nearly sixty years and counting.

Posted by: AncientTerp | December 31, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I was one of the 16,418 at the game last night, and I have followed Maryland basketball since the mid-70's. This was one of the worst performances by a Terp team that I can remember. I'm not taking anything away from a well-organized, hard working William and Mary. They were very impressive. But for Maryland to capitulate with so little fight or energy or pride was quite shocking to me. Gary's teams just don't do this. This current squad of players is just not playing like a TEAM this year. What's confounding about this is this is that the same group of players that pulled together so nicely last year, under Dave Neal's gritty leadership.
With Neal gone, there is a noticeable leadership void. The three senior co-captains are not leading this team. Maryland seems rudderless at the moment. Unless this changes, things are going to get ugly when the Terps face the ACC. Can you say NIT boys and girls?

Posted by: lpoolman | December 31, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game as well. I'm a long time Terp fan but a W&M alum -- so I was pretty torn.

That being said -- I disagree with the comments about MD's lack of enthusiasm. I watched them in warmups. They looked plenty enthused. I thought they played with a ton of energy. The Tribe was just a LOT crisper and more efficient. Their passing was sharp, their plays worked, and they REALLY kept up with MD on the boards. Until late in the game, MD's only game plan on offense seemed to be -- let Grievis drive to the hoop and hope to get the rebound. That's not the way you win games in D 1.

Posted by: anthonya9999 | January 1, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse