Terrapins switching up the front court

Maryland freshman forward Jordan Williams returned to the starting lineup Sunday against Florida Atlantic after coming off the bench the previous two games. Williams, who had started the first eight games of the season, was temporarily relegated to a reserve role because of the return of junior forward Dino Gregory from a suspension for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Against the Owls, Williams played 21 minutes and registered seven points, six rebounds and three blocks. He continues to lead the team in rebounding, averaging eight boards per contest.

Gregory came off the bench Sunday to play 19 minutes, tallying two points, five rebounds and three blocks. In three games, Gregory is averaging 3.3 points and 3.7 rebounds.

According to Coach Gary Williams, the role shift between Jordan Williams and Gregory was made due to each player's previous track record.

"That was my call," Gary Williams said. "I just thought that maybe a different look would be good for both guys, especially Dino where he played so well last year coming off the bench, to do it again might help him. So we'll see how that goes."

By Steve Yanda  |  December 28, 2009; 12:11 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guarding the little guys problematic for Terps
Next: Vasquez earns ACC player of the week honors

Comments

I think this is the right move for the Terps. You want your energy guy coming in off the bench to provide that spark like Dino did so many times last year. Jordan Williams should be starting and has earned a shot to go into the ACC schedule as the first stringer.

Posted by: lavar609 | December 28, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Agree completely Lavar.

Nice to see the re-emergence of Tucker. Hope Bowie gets back on track. As with last year, this season depends on GV delivering big in big games, but there are a lot of players capable of scoring in double digits. Have not seen a complete game yet against decent competition but am sticking to my 11-5 in the ACC prediction and a waltz into the dance this year.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 28, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

truthfuly, i would like to see them both start. We are getting killed on the boards against inferior teams. I would like to see milbourne play his natural small forward position. start either hayes or mosley at the guard opposite vasquez, and have the other as your first man off the bench. J williams, gregory, milbourne, vasquez, hayes/mosley. 6th man hayes/mosley. improves of our defense and rebounding, and keeps our best scorers in the starting linuep.

Posted by: terpskinzorioless | December 28, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

terpskinzos -

Wow. Someone who follows the same teams I do in the same order of importance. Ok Skins football before terps football BUT after Terps bball.

Yeah, I wonder about that. It seems GW is committed to a 3-guard starting ine-up. Earlier I thought LM was going to get the opportunity to play 3 for most of the year as I have stated that I thought he would be all-ACC if allowed to do so. There were a few times in recent games that LM was in with JW and either DG or JP so the GW does go there. Come tournament time, I think we will see a lot of the Terps in the traditional set with LM at 3. Note that Tucker makes a pretty good 3 at the college level a la Mouton as well. We do have big guards so maybe GW takes that into account for his line-up. Regardless, LM needs to be on the floor. Like the idea of starting JW at this point. I think it takes us further at tourney time.

Wrong blog, but I am disgusted by the WaPo's abandonement of Orioles coverage. They get as much coverage in this paper as the Cincy Reds. Unless of course the article is about Cal.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 28, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I agree w/this move by GW. I'm telling you, Williams is gonna be a BEAST by his junior year! We'll be just fine w/Gregory coming in off of the bench...

1- Vasquez