Adjusted mind-set helps Terps close games convincingly

After Maryland's 16-point win at Boston College on Jan. 16, Coach Gary Williams and players talked about how last season's loss to the Eagles -- during which the Terrapins blew a double-digit second-half lead -- had weighed on them.

After Maryland's 22-point win over Miami on Tuesday night, Williams & Co. carried a similar tune. Last season the Terrapins also blew a double-digit second-half lead against the Hurricanes, and that defeat stuck in the team's craw.

This year, Maryland built sizable leads against both squads and not only held on in the second half, the Terrapins cruised to victory. And so, some players were asked what the difference has been in terms of how the team has handled playing with a lead this season as opposed to last.

"I think our mind-set this year is different as far as closing out games," sophomore guard Sean Mosley said. "Last year we struggled closing out a lot of games. We lost 20-point, 17-point leads last year, and I think we did a great job this year focussing on coming out and starting the game strong and finishing the game the same way. It's just the effort that we have this year, and the mind-set that we have, you know, we can't lose a game when we up by 20 or 17 points. We just got to come out and play hard for 40 minutes, and that's what we've been doing since then."

By Steve Yanda  |  January 27, 2010; 2:28 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Experience helps Maryland spread the wealth
Next: 'Too early' to tell how good Maryland can be

Comments

Yes, they have. And that has made all the difference. Also, they seem to have gotten serious earlier in the ACC season than usual. Hope they are remembering their last loss to Clemson over the next few days.

btw - I saw OGBarno as a handle on the Wiz Insider; I am assuming that is not Barno1 from this board and RI. Is that correct?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame Gary wasn't able to instill this mindset into the 2000/01 team before they blew a 22 point lead to F-Duke in the Final Four.

It is nice to see this team keep the pedal to the medal, and everyone playing within themselves.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Russ - I think the refs had a lot to do with that comeback by Duke in 2001. I remember watching the Duke players drop like flies any time a MD player came close to them, and the refs gave them numerous calls. Obviously I am biased and MD could have played better, but who knows, if they didn't lose that game they may not have won the next year. Regardless, it is great to see this year's team blowing people out, which is something that has not happened with regularity in the past. GO TERPS!

By the way, what happened to all the talk about Gary not being able to recruit? I guess Mosely and J. Will look pretty good now, don't they? And Vasquez has been great for the majority of the year, and only seems to be getting better. Gary had some tough luck over the past few years but has righted the ship. Not to mention he does it the right way unlike some coaches who move from school to school like Calipari after they destroy the previous program with sanctions. So for all the haters, I wouldn't plan on Gary going anywhere until he freakin' feels like it. Complain all you want, but there's a reason the students call it GARYLAND.

Posted by: CYork1 | January 27, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 is the one and only, though I think there are many imposters.

I will never forget the blocking call on LB when it was an obvious charge on Boozer in the 01 Final Four. Made us stronger for the title run in 02, I guess. We wuz robbed

Posted by: jpfterps | January 27, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY!GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY!GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY!GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY!GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY!

Posted by: deadskin | January 27, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Not me

Posted by: Barno1 | January 27, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Watchout Deadskin, Petecard will come after you for being a fan of Gary. He thinks Gary should be booted from Maryland remember.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 27, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Unlike you Barno, I don't go after people for their opinions. I may disagree and say so, but you are the Atilla the Hun of this site.

There are plenty of Kool-aid drinkers, like you. For the most part they are harmless...

Posted by: petecard | January 27, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I did like the fact that GV and LM sat out a bit early in the game. It seemed to focus GV quite a bit. Even better, for a home game and ACC blow-out, GV seemed to be playing on cold-hearted-killer-ness as opposed to emotion at times. A couple times after scoring and big plays the guy was not celebrating.

My wife says that she is glad his skin cleared up and he is looking more and more like her favorite bball player of all time - Gheorghe Muresan.

I liked the balanced scoring even more. Would like to see a bit more of Padgett - we'll need him experienced come March....because we will be playing meaningful games and won't be on the bubble.

confidently -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 27, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | January 27, 2010 5:14 PM
--------------

Talk about pulling The Rock and "laying the smack down."

What does it say about someone who goes after others who have a differing opinion, as much as said poster does, on a faceless internet messageboard no less?

Also with last nights game I enjoyed the Terps effort on the glass. They won the battle on the boards on both ends.

Lord knows the Terps can't keep shooting 50% from both the field and behind the arc, so one way to stay on the winning side is to limit the other teams 2nd chance points by not letting them get offensive rebounds.

Kudos for the improvement in this game.

And as some others pointed out (even the boring announcers though I won't get on Rob Stone too much since he does a decent job covering soccer for ESPN), it was pretty dumb for that one player to steal the ball at the end and make his meaningless lay-up when UMD "had taken their foot off of the pedal."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 27, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I hate that a few people have essentially hijacked and ruined this board. I am definitely not Barno1 although I do agree with him at times, as I do with many other posters as well (petecard, HGR, etc). I do think Gary gets far too much BS from people around here considering what he has done for the program including, ahem, winning it all. Look at the year North Carolina is having right after winning the championship. If that were Gary, people would be ripping him to shreds, especially before UNCs comeback last night.

Now, how about we all act civil and have a fun, thought provoking board?

Posted by: CYork1 | January 27, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh please Petecard. If by "going after you" you mean "QUOTING YOUR COMMENTS VERBATIM" then yes I suppose I've really gone after you.

The fact is you really "went after" and attacked Gary and certain players and demanded they be booted from the university. And now that the Terps are in first place in the ACC with the same coach and the same players, you want everyone to forget all about your relentless demands for them to be replaced. Well, no one is going to forget about it as long as you still claim you were right to attack the team, players, and coach and kick them when they were down.

Sorry.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 27, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

CYork, well said.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 27, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Now, how about we all act civil and have a fun, thought provoking board?

Posted by: CYork1 | January 27, 2010 7:30 PM
--------------

You don't think people in Chapel Hill (and Heels fans anywhere) are just a tad bit frustrated and upset with how the Heels are doing this year?

You don't think that if Roy Williams has 2-3 more consecutive seasons like the one he's currently having people won't be putting him on the hot seat?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 27, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who ever called for Gary's head: Just admit you are a moron and we can move on.

Posted by: aviscardo | January 27, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Also well said

Posted by: Barno1 | January 27, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Of course if it were up to a certain poster on this board, he'd demand that UMD take away our diplomas because we're frustrated with the mediocrity the Terps have displayed, post championship.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 27, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

How bout this one too:

Anyone who ever said the Terps football team couldn't go 2-10 under Fridge (with their schedule) just admit you are a moron and we can move on........

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 27, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Again, who gives a sht about who is the biggest fan? Does it really matter? Can't we all come together and agree that the Barry brothers were the worst announcers in history? Those two turds spent the whole night talking about the NBA. Clearly the unlikeable apples don't fall far from the family tree. Dcks just like their dad.

Posted by: epdaly | January 27, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

So much for being civil...

And I agree, the Barry brothers and Rob Stone were AWFUL, painful even.

Posted by: CYork1 | January 27, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Yup, the Barrys and Rob Stone were terrible. That's what the mute button is for.

On a positive note, nice to see Adrian Branch in the studio. But the quality of ESPNU coverage pales next even to early Raycom/JP broadcasts.

There was a certain, ah, ineptness to Miami last night. This is not meant as a slight to our guys - I thought they played hard and smart. But I got the sense that most of Miami actually quit midway through the first half.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | January 27, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Boy can we all agree on that one...the Barry Boys were unlistenable....

Posted by: petecard | January 27, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Poopy_McPoop, I thought the Terps football team would be at least 7-5 this year. I think my prediction was 7 or 8 wins. Does that make me a maroon too? No one thought the Terps would be 2-10 this year. So I don't get your point.

There should be a rule that any idiot talking trash about Gary Williams should shut up or be blocked from this site. This is a Terp site right? For Terp FANS? What kind of Terp fan would say Gary needs to go? My guess is most of us thought G Dubs deserved another chance last year when the WAPOST's multi-part series came out and the squad was losing. But there were some aholes calling for hi head. Gary shut up most of those maroons last year didn't he? But apparently not all of them (which actually suprises me)

What I'm saying is what more must he do for you people? How can you possibly think Garyland is better off without Gary? Explain yourselves

Posted by: FLKeys_MD | January 27, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLKeys_MD | January 27, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Pete-n-Poop,

I think I can answer this one for you.

To FLKeys_MD,

Petecard, RestonHoops and Poopy_McPoop (among others) feel that MD football and basketball should be better. In general terms, b-ball should be "elite" status, which has been defined in numerous terms on this board. Basically, they are looking for NCAA tourney berths at least 9 out of 10 years and delving into the Sweet 16 about half of those years with one or two Final Fours sprinkled in during said ten years.

My feelings are that Gary is doing remarkably well given the lack of support from his AD, Dr. Yow. Dr. Yow seems to be obsessed with turning Women's B-ball into a revenue sport and diverts a staggering amount of resources to Women's b-ball, which still doesn't make money.

As for the Fridge, my vote after this year's debacle was to retain him, but only for financial reasons. Fridge is such a poor manager of subordinates that he has trouble hiring a talented coaching staff...in short, he is a pain in the butt to work for, so no talented assistants want to come and coach for MD football.

Oh yeah, given their salaries, Keith Booth, Rob Eshon, and Chuck Driesell deserve huge shout outs from this board for rebuilding MD's recruiting base.

Posted by: larry31 | January 28, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

After re-reading my post, let me put it another way:

I don't diagree with the sentiments of Pete-n-Poop, I just feel that their frustration should be directed more towards Dr. Yow as opposed to Gary.

And...all honest recuriters are curently struggling because college b-ball recruiting is only slightly less sleazy than an Amsterdam brothel. Anyone care to speculate how John Wall ends up at Kentucky, when he grew up in the backyards of Duke and Carolina? I think Calipari's recruiting went like this:
Hey John, come play for Kentucky for a year and World Wide Wes will hook you up with with a Nike shoe contract and a Nike agent when you go pro.

Posted by: larry31 | January 28, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

There were definitely some down years, but I attribute that to a few fluky (dumb-see: mccray, chris bad-gilchrist, john) decisions made by players and the loss of assistant coaches. The assistants from the title team all moved on to head coaching jobs (patsos, hahn, dickerson) elsewhere that left the Terps without an established recruiting presence. The next set of assistants hired came through and went with rapid turnover, I can't even name all the dudes who were here and left (current coach at UVM, mike adams, etc). Now that we have some continuity with booth and dreisell the program is performing again.

Don't underestimate the loss of top-level assistants to a program.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Jpfterps,

Don't forget about losing maybe our best player DJ Strawberry to injury for most of the season in 04/05. I think that has a bigger impact that any bad decisions by Gilchrist (who I still think takes way too much blame for our demise that year).

We were in or around the top 25 when Straw got hurt.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse