Because you can't get enough ... another Goins update

As we do before each media session with Coach Gary Williams, the reporters who regularly cover the Terrapins drew straws to see which one got to ask Williams about sophomore forward Steve Goins, who might still be on the team -- but if so, he's doing an excellent job of hiding. Goins underwent knee surgery in August, has only logged four minutes of playing time in two games (in November) and hasn't been seen at a game since Maryland played at UNC-Greensboro on Jan. 3.

Today, D1scourse blogger Patrick Stevens drew the short straw. And so after nearly 10 minutes of questions about Miami and the team's guard play and Landon Milbourne and Jordan Williams's development, Stevens began the old routine ...

Stevens: Any update on Goins?

Gary Williams (after looking down at his wrist watch): He had lunch at about 12:20 p.m. That's the latest I got on him.

Stevens: We should have a separate Goins Twitter feed.

Williams: Does anybody really ask you about Goins?

Me: Actually, surprisingly, they do. I get several emails. It’s amazing.

Williams: It is amazing. It’s amazing that you ask about it every day.

Me: We're as surprised as you are.

Stevens: It’s all scholarship math.

Williams: I guess, whatever that means.

Maybe we'll see Goins tomorrow night on the sideline at Comcast Center. Maybe. Either way, you can be rest assured there will be another update on everyone's favorite enigma sometime soon.

By Steve Yanda  |  January 25, 2010; 3:39 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A coach's view on the Hurricanes
Next: Three things to watch

Comments

His presence on this team has certainly been an enigma. Even if he's not healthy enough to dress, you typically see injured players sitting on the end of the bench watching games. If Goins is not participating to the point where he can sit at the end of the bench, then he's probably no longer a part of the team. If his scholarship is being held up as an insurance policy (meaning Goins will return next season if Ross decides to commit elsewhere), then this send a bad message to student athletes considering playing for the Terps. Gary should just come out and say whether Goins is on the team or not, and whether he's playing 2 scholarships short (Choi and not Goins) or just 1.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 25, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Can we get a status on what Goins has for dinner and what time? I'm going with Chipotle at 6:45pm.

Can we also get what RealTimeRPI predicted for the Maryland games vs. BC (I'm guessing MD win) and NC State (I'm guessing MD loss)?

Posted by: fushezzi | January 25, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious quotes from Gary

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is a hot dog with a big mouth. He won't lead the Terps to anything next year.

If he finally gets to the NBA they will eat him up and spit him out.

See ya!

Posted by: petecard | April 26, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

C'mon all of you FOG's (Fans of Gary) let's hear about how the Terps are going to win one or two in the ACC.

Don't bother to make your MSG reservations. They won't get that far in the NIT.

Posted by: petecard | February 18, 2009 11:05 AM

Our program is a real disappointment and I am disgusted.

Let's hear it Koolaid drinkers.

Posted by: petecard | March 9, 2009 6:30 PM

Why not just deal with the bottom line: We are going to miss the tournament this year for the 4th time in 5 years.

Unacceptable.

Gary's responsibility.

Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2009 10:32 AM

Turtle Soup, brought to you by Gary Williams. Simply warm and serve.

Posted by: petecard | March 9, 2009 8:56 AM

Why don't we start a movement to get GW and Brenda Frese to switch jobs.

The men's program would take off and it would mean huge national PR.

The problem: The women's program would tank. Guess that is just not fair....

Posted by: petecard | March 9, 2009 6:36 PM

No break for Gary. Why don't you take him with you to another place. How about Virginia or UMBC?

Posted by: petecard | March 8, 2009 3:09 PM

The Terps seem to be in a pretty good groove right now and it's hard to imagine it won't continue

Posted by: petecard | January 25, 2010 3:33 PM

hey whaddaya know

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2010 4:43 PM
========================

Barno, you of all people really want to play the game of having someone else throw your own words back in your face?

Okay, no problem......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 25, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"2-10 Terps while Fridge is head coach? Not likely. In fact, with our schedule, not possible.”

Posted by: Barno1 | August 11, 2009 4:28 PM

That's a doozy huh?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 25, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

“Viva Vinny. The guy is one has blossomed into one of the better talent evaluators in the game. Of course, Redskins fans refuse to acknowledge this, but they will be forced by next January.”

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

How'd that one turn out? Cerrato was long gone by January.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 25, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

See Barno, for every 1 statement that you like to copy/paste of someone else, someone else can turn around and do 10 times as many for you with your own ridiculous posts.

Just remember that the next time you try to show up petecard or anyone else for that matter buddy-boy.

You do remember the spanking you got over at RI not too long ago right? And you also remember how many posters thought you got your, to quote the french pastry chef, or was it Akira, in a Simpson's episode, "just desert"?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 25, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

barno = worsto

Posted by: epdaly | January 25, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I normally don't respond to poopy anymore since I think engaging him is completely pointless and only encourages him, but I'll make an exception this one time to point out why there's no comparison whatsoever to my re-pasting Petecard's attacks on Gary and the team and to re-pasting my optimistic predictions for some of our local sports teams. (**Not that it comes as a surprise to anyone on here that the guy who names himself after feces perpetually struggles to make a relevant point on this blog, try as he might)

There's is a key difference between quoting my predictions and petecard's. I, like everyone, am far from perfect and make my share of mistakes... but I am perfectly willing to acknowledge that when I am wrong and can take my lumps and move on (i.e Redskins 2009 season where I said repeatedly they'd be in the playoffs, Campbell would be in the pro bowl, Vinny would earn over the fans etc). I was way wrong when I thought 2-10 for the Terps was "not possible", like a lot of people, and was wrong about the whole 09 Skins season, like a few...I took my lumps, and acknowledged several times how far off my insanely optimistic predictions were.

But the difference here is that when Petecard came around here last winter, he just spewed constant venom at Gary and the kids after each and every loss (and sometimes even after wins), mocked our chances at making the tourney over and over, mocked our eventual bid to the big dance, and repeatedly demanded we boot our coach and get rid of our best players. And he never backed down, never acknowledged how wrong he was, and amazingly, still stands by this...and now that the the team is back to winning as of late, he is actually on here patting himself on the back for comign up with the right game plans for success (hoping we would all forget his original recipe for success started with booting Gary and Grievis).

Now, it goes without saying, Petecard is a little slow. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have every right to say whatever he wants, call himself a better fan than the rest of us for "wanting more than the FOGs Fans of Gary" all he wants, and pat himself on the back when his scouting report predicting that if our teams scores more points than the other team it will help our team win, etc etc. And we have every right to remind him that if we had listened to him, Gary would be gone now and Grievis would be getting spit out by the pros after "leading us to nothing."

Capisce?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Capisce?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2010 8:31 PM
-------------

Dude, it'd be capisce if you did what you just said you did.

But in reality, remember after that loss to the Chiefs on RI, when you said something to the effect of "This is a tough loss, etc. etc. etc. just hard for me right now I'm gonna be stepping away from posting because the teams so bad"? Remember that, or something along those lines?

Point is, you didn't take your lumps. You kinda posted a woe-is-me, give me a little pity since my homer-istic, koolaid posts were the farthest from reality and than took a hiatus from posting.

That's not taking your lumps.

And if you want we can go back and pull some old copy/pasting with the above statement you made in question.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 25, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Funny how poopy both attacked me FOR coming back and making posting occasionally after taking a break from the blog and FOR NOT sticking around and posting and "taking lumps". Total contradiction, so blatant a small child could see it (but yet amazingly he can't)

This is what I mean when i say engaging with Poopy is completely pointless.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh and as for my name. So what? I picked it even before we had to use our user names for posting on messageboards.

Remember when we could just enter in any "handle" we wanted when posting? I typically went by Chief Clancy Wiggum (or sometimes some other random Simpsons character).

But than in The Post's attempt to cut down on moronic, irrelevant, etc-type posts the newspaper started attaching peoples registered names with their posting handles, essentially making them the same.

And when I did pick my register name during my registration I picked it because it's a funny, juvenile word and I wasn't gonna give The Post my real name or any real information. At that time my registration name had no bearing on my posting "handle" so I didn't care.

There was even a time, right when The Post made the switch to using peoples registered names with their posting "handles", that Goff was kinda upset with me when I'd post on his blog with this name. Not my fault I explained to him, as I had picked the name before The Post implemented their new policy.

He got over it. And if the best soccer blogger/writer in the entire United States of America can get over it and you can't? Well................

Oh well.....

With that said, poop is my favorite word in the english language because it's awesome on so many levels.

Oh, and o Terps!

Oh, and go 'Canes, except for Tuesday!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 25, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Whatever dude, you said you stuck around and took your lumps when that was the farthest from reality.

But, ultimately, who cares? It's the internet.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 25, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I gotta saide with barno1 on this one. If you talked smack about G Williams you deserve all the lumps you get. That man built this program from the ashes. He deserves all Terp fans respect, even in seasons when we miss the big dance.

I like this year's team a lot. We blew some key games early but now we're in a position to mabye win he acc if we can keep it going. I give Williams a lot of credit for the job the team is doing lately. Keep it up coach!

Posted by: powerterp14 | January 25, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Chief Clancy Wiggum! Wow.

You know you're on these blogs too much when you remember a poster from about 3 years ago on a different blog and realize that it's the same guy that's on this blog. I never knew, but makes perfect sense.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Powerterp, I'm with you on Gary deserving our respect. I think about 99.99% of Terps fans probably feel this way (we're called FOGs).

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

You're all clowns. What's with the d!ck measuring contests to see who is the biggest fan? It doesn't matter. You're all nuts. Barno is a pathetic homer and petecard is a pessimistic jerk. Get over yourselves.

Posted by: epdaly | January 25, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to check to see if there is another big man spending this season at Alleghany CC (Ryan Randle and jamar Smith). GW has at least one more scholarship to give and I think he has something up his sleeve.

How do you guys drege up those old posts so quickly? Do you save them in Word Docs to ease the copy/pasting?

Execellent insights by Russ in a previous thread regarding the Miami game.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 25, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, I forgot to tell you it finally came to me what you were probably referring to re: the Terp player and Harvard. It was Mike Mardesech. He was offered a scholarship to Harvard prior to coming to Maryland. He was pre-Championship though.

-pathetic homer

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Barno -

Homer, yes. Pathetic, no. Zealous, yes. Stupid, definitely not.

Whodaeverthought that we lose Morris, Mardesich and Miller, add Randle and win a NC? The FF game against Duke from 2001 still hurts when I think about it.

I remember MM pleading with the students to not riot. Not sure when burning couches became a normal post-game ritual in CP, but am glad that the post game riots seem to have calmed down a bit. Watched the NC game from RJ Bentley's and will tell my story of the riot one day when the board is boring. Today its not, and tomorrow night we have the chance to make another statement. 22 votes in the AP poll, 6 in the coaches poll and 54 in RPI. We're movin' on up. If we win out the week, I think we may be ranked. Then again, if we win out the week, we deserve it.

All have a good evening and I'm sure we'll be posting up a storm tomorrow.

Warm Regards to all -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 25, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

It's really funny to read Barno's clips of my posts from last year and even some from this year.

I get such a kick because he always ignores the context and he refuses to accept the fact that I want the team to do well. When they win I am happy and I give GW plenty of credit for his coaching ability.

Now is not the time to go over our record during the last 6 years and complain...and I have not been doing that. We are on somewhat of a roll and we may actually avoid the bubble at the end of the year, although that is exactly where we are right now.

Of the Elite programs in the country, only UNC, which has the best record in college basketball over the past six years, is having an off season. They are also on the bubble and, like the Terps, they may or may not make it.

I have no apologies for my views. Barno, on the other hand, uses tactics that display all the integrity of Pravda.

Posted by: petecard | January 26, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yawn....is this still going on?

Posted by: fushezzi | January 26, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Is everyone on this board 5 years old?

Posted by: beas13 | January 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who ever called for Gary's head: Just admit you are a moron and we can move on.

Posted by: aviscardo | January 27, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse