Gregory, Padgett turn in quality performances

Junior forward Dino Gregory and freshman forward James Padgett each were afforded plenty of opportunity Tuesday night during the Terrapins' 106-55 win over Longwood to show the Maryland coaching staff what they could do during a live game situation.

For Gregory, that wasn't really a new experience. He was a solid contributor for the Terrapins last season and has been given considerable minutes off the bench since returning from his suspension earlier this season.

But Padgett did venture into new territory by playing 20 minutes. He entered the game averaging 12.3 minutes per contest and had played 10 or fewer minutes in eight of the past nine games.

Both performed well, which is encouraging for a team that will need all the frontcourt depth it can muster as it continues forth through ACC play. Gregory shot just 3 of 9 from the field and finished with six points*. But he also grabbed seven rebounds, blocked four shots and nabbed a pair of steals. On Monday, Coach Gary Williams said he needed to get more stats from Gregory, and Gregory responded.

* Gregory scored Maryland's 100th point of the night on what was easily the most electrifying moment of the game. Junior guard Adrian Bowie drove into the lane and put up a lay-up attempt that fell errant. But Gregory swooped up and slammed the putback home for a dunk that drew what remained of the Comcast Center crowd to its feet.

Padgett tallied 10 points, seven rebounds and two blocks of his own. He shot 4 for 4 from the field. Whether that performance will afford him more playing time in the future remains to be seen, but Padgett said he will continue to work hard in practice and hope for the best.

By Steve Yanda  |  January 20, 2010; 8:34 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland discards Longwood, 106-55
Next: Late night at Comcast pays off for Mosley

Comments

With that said, Longwood. hahahahahahaha

Long

Wood

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 19, 2010 6:55 PM |

...and this is why I have defended Poopy on this board in the past. Entertainment value.

Excellent performance by the team - I expected a let up. Was nice to see Padgett play - he is going to be a great one by the end of the season. Wish Goins was healthy enough to play to see whether he can play. Then again, Dave Neal spent 3 years doing close to nothing and proved himself invaluable last year. And one of my setimental faves, Mike Grinnon came up big in the ACC tourney after not playing much at all over the previous 4 seasons.

It does not matter who the opponent is - when you win by 50, you are doing a lot of things correctly. Hope to see the execution continue over the next few games.

Still agree with Poopy and Petecard about the scheduling of (nonlocal) patsies over major conference opponents. But is nice to see a win. Magic number remains 8 more ACC games to avoid the bubble. And that number assumes more than a few ranked teams as about 5-6 teams remain ranked.

Barno and board - who are your sentimental favorites in terms of MD players who never had a prayer of playing professionally? I liked the way Grinnon conducted himself, his insane GPA, and his plans for Med School after he graduated. I met him twice and he was the most humble, sincere and genuinely friendly guy you could imagine. Would have been a real asset to MD even if he did not play bball.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 20, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

No mention of GV's sub-par shooting night, but lets face it, its not like he was going to have a chance to shoot out of it with the blow-out in hand. Suprised he did not start faster.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 20, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Padgett definitely made the most of his minutes. He showed some good post moves and posed a very solid defensive presence. He does still need to work on he passing and his decision making on the defensive end, but I think we're beginning to see why Gary was so high on him when he committed to the Terps.

I'm still not sold on Dino. His performance was decent, but his strength obvously lies on the defensive end. He didn't get many minutes on the floor at the 4, so he was constantly working with his back to the basket, something he's obviously not terribly comfortable with. He's much better suited 8-12 feet out with the option to pull up or drive to the hoop, and when playing the 5, he spent a lot of time on the blocks or setting screens. His defensive abilities are clear, but I do wonder if the game were closer if the opponent were a little smarter/better if Dino would have fouled out of that game with all of the contact his defensive activity created.

I was pleased with the focus and intensity the team played with for nearly 36 minutes (last 4 minutes were all about getting Levent and Pearman shots) against an obviously inferior opponent. If the Terps carry that level of play through the rest of the season, the Terps should finish in the upper echelon of the conference and be in good position to earn an NCAA birth.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 20, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I've always been partial to Kurtis Shultz. He never played a lot of minutes, but he played some very important ones, particularly in the Georgetown OT game that put Maryland back on the map in 1993 and caused John Thompson to never want to play its local rivals ever again.

Kurtis came back to be the strength and conditioning coach for a few years.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 20, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Here's all one can say about Longwood: "They are what we thought they were"...

Terps did what they were expected to do. There are NO performance take-aways.

Let's move on.

Posted by: petecard | January 20, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

+20 for Shultz. I was in middle school when he played at MD, and still was reeling from being raised such a huge MD fan with all the stories of how great the team was, and then they (can I say we?) had to dig out from the mess.

I remember the first time I saw him play (Center or PF right?) and asking my Dad how he could have possibly been a college basketball player. And finally understanding what was going on at MD.

Posted by: ckstevenson | January 20, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HughGRection | January 20, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Grinnon seemed like a cool dude every time I've crossed paths with him, including one time he was checking IDs at a bar in adams morgan. His FTs and defense against Redick in OT in the ACC championship game went down in Maryland history. We don't win the conference tourney without him.

Other sentimental favorites include Fushezzi's bff Matt Hahn, SAE's Matt Kovarik, the Mayor Dave Neal, Erykah "Earl" Badu, and of course the greatest walk on ever..Darien Henry. (henry may have actually played pro ball somewhere, he had real talent)

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Other than winning the NC, Earl Badu making a move and scoring a basket on Senior Night vs. UVA in the last game at Cole was my favorite memory from that season.

Russ, ck - Schultz is an interesting one - he was the starter supplanted by Joe Smith. But he did play a smart efficient game given his limitations. I do remember Joe Smith talking about how tough he was in practice.

barno - Henry was given a scholarship/slot on the team the year after the NC - correct? IT seems a shame that a guy who came to practice every day was not given a non-scholarship spot on the team - especially given that Slalinka left prior to the season and opened up a slot.

Kovarik and Hahn actually played quite a bit. I thought Kovarik was an asst. to GW after his college.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 20, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Are you sure about Grinnon being the one with the "insane GPA and plans for med school"? I can't say for sure one way or the other, but I feel like you may be confusing him with someone else. I came across him a few times in school and he did not give off this impression at all. I'm not saying he was dumb, but when you say insane I'm thinking you don't mean 2.8. Also, it says he was a communications major, which makes me think the med school thing is off base. Perhaps you are thinking of Mike Mardesich? I think he was legitimately intelligent, not just "smart for a basketball player." Also white, which could explain the confusion, haha. But I am pretty sure no recent players have had medical school on the horizon.

Posted by: spret07 | January 20, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Discussions of past walk-ons, their GPAs, majors, and last known whereabouts...oh how I love this board!

HughG, that Badu move/basket brought the house down. What a great way to close out Cole...a perfect season at home, national championship, and an Earl Badu bucket.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Spret -

Barno has repeatedly corrected my memory. I recall an article about GW having the option to chase A PLAYER away who was was graduating early and was already accepted into Med School (at Harvard, no less). I thought it was Grinnon (they mentioned a "just happy to be here" attitude). Was there another white guy, post NC who I might be confused with? It was after the "GW can't graduate his players" controversy which occured a few years ago.

Mardesich was an engineering major; I believe Ekezie was as well.

btw - playing in Europe is a great way to make a living. Sure its not the NBA, but it is lucrative - top players earn slightly more than bottom players in the NBA. Sure its not the show, but for someone trying to retire in their early 30s its not a bad route to take.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 20, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Matty K started a few games at the point, and was the primary reserve to Terrell Stokes. He was at Maryland for 5 years because of a medical redshirt, and is probably among the top 10 true point guards in Maryland history. He did return to Maryland as an assistant, and now assists Jimmy Patsos at Loyola.

We used to call Kurtis "Cujo" or "beef," and despite his lack of height (6'8" I think), he would muscle anyone off the block with his incredible strength. He didn't have much of a shot outside 10 feet, but he could out bench most of the football team.

Some other classic under-appreciated guys include:

Matt Raydo--little guy with a decent shot
Brian Watkins--oft-injuried big-guy that had a tough time getting minutes behind Rodney Elliot and Obinna Ekezie
Laron Cephas--see Brian Watkins except include playing behind Wilcox and Baxter
Calvin McCall--the QB-turned swing G/F, who probably should have stayed with BB his entire career instead of trying to play both

Posted by: Russtinator | January 20, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Barno -

That Earl Badu move was soo satisfying, especially against UVA who I despise. I was at the game and have never seen people so HAPPY after a sporting event. That includes play-off victories at RFK. The only memorable moment that compares in my memory was Blake's famous steal. Of course Gatlin's inbound off of Warren Martin's butt was at UNC. Seriously, I use the Badu move as a cheer-me-up to this day. There was nothing, NOTHING, that the crowd wanted to see other than Badu score. Was kinda p*ssed that Collins got that last basket in Cole - everyone wanted to see Earl score more.

Who scored the first basket at Comcast?

Regards -
-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 20, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

i know grinnon. he didnt have an "insane" gpa. he was a big "let's drink beers because it's a sunny day" type guy. he is not a doctor, nor do I remember any time him mentioning med school. he's a good dude though.

does ryan "sleepy" randle count? I know he was a starter for a year but he was a favorite of the students, maybe more for the chance to scream "sleepy" as you walked across the mall than his actual playing ability.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 20, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

don't think we can count Randle. Anyone who grabs 17 rebounds against number 1 duke doesn't really count as an under-appreciated type player...but a fan favorite nonetheless.

"I was at the game and have never seen people so HAPPY after a sporting event. That includes play-off victories at RFK. The only memorable moment that compares in my memory was Blake's famous steal."

Was there for both, and have to say Blake's steal is number one in Terps history for me. People say things like "stadium erupted" "fans went nuts" etc all the time to describe a big moment, but nothing I've seen live compared to that. Cole simply exploded. The best part for those that were there early was the foreshadowing of that moment. When Blake went over to the Duke side of the court during warm ups and shot a perfect swish from 25 feet while their players were doing layup drills. Man, what a game.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

HughG, The only moment I can recall at RFK that could remotely compare was the Oilers 7-1 last second missed FG (that was essentially the length of an extra point) against the 8-0 Redskins in 91. My dad had decided there was no way he'd miss the kick, and actually left his kid by himself (thousands of other fans had left as well at this point). When the kick sailed wide meaning the game was going to OT and the Redskins perfect record was still in tact, RFK was a mad house with fans, including my pops, rushing back in to their seats. Fun times.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Again, don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure that if a Maryland player had been accepted to Harvard Medical School after graduating early, we would all know exactly who it was. There is a big difference between basketball player who managed to graduate and Harvard trained physician. Don't see this one happening any time soon.

Posted by: spret07 | January 20, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Mardesich was an engineering major

Posted by: HughGRection | January 20, 2010 2:45 PM

Really? I thought he was a Business major because we would constantly see him around the Business building for the 2 years we lived in Wicomico (which is right beside the Business building).

We had a megaphone we'd use to, normally, heckle people walking to and from class, but in rare cases such as most of the athletes we'd just try to make 'em laugh.

Lord knows how many times we caused Mardesich to crack a smile at us.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 20, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

As long as you guys are talking about somewhat obscure players and that great end at Cole against UVA, I thought I would offer this one from 1971. From the "Cole Fieldhouse Milestones" on the UM Athletics Site:

"Maryland defeats No. 2 South Carolina, 31-30, in one of the great "slow-down" games in the history of Cole. Leading only 4-3 at halftime, Maryland needed a lay-up from Jim O'Brien to tie the game with five seconds to go in regulation and an 11-foot jumper from O'Brien to win the game with four seconds remaining in OT."

Here is what this blurb doesn't say. The key figure at the end of the game, besides O'Brien was a bench player, Dick Stobaugh (sp?). He stole the ball twice on inbound passes from South Carolina. Wonder where he is now. By the way, SC was the number one or two team in the country at the time.

There is so much about that game and events leading up to it. All who were there will take those memories to their graves...

Cheers!

Posted by: petecard | January 21, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

My account above is a little off. Stobaugh stole it once and Bob Bodell stole it another time.

Here is what you simply HAVE TO DO.

Google "Maryland beats South Carolina 31-30 in basketball"

Click on "Maryland Basketball: Tales From Cole Fieldhouse - Google Book Results"

This is a must read. All the details about the game and events leading up to it...

Posted by: petecard | January 21, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Even my correction had errors! LOL

Go to the site and check it out. What an amazing time in Maryland BB. Chuck Driesell was a ball boy and a second grader!

Posted by: petecard | January 21, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Pete -

I was about 6 yo at the time and I recall one thing - there were two teams in town - the Redskins and the Terrapins. By the time the Elmore-McMillan-Kucas teams arrived the team was so much more of a big deal than the Wizards - who had the NBA's best record in 1974 - could ever be. My dad and I bought walk up tickets to the championship series in 74, 78 & 79. But scoring a ticket to the UNC game at College Park was always a big deal. Mot sure it was the same for folks living in Nova but we lived in DC and it seemed all folks were into MD basketball.

It is incredible how much MD / Cole has had an impact on the overall game. Shot clock thanks to the game you mention. Tourney expansion to 64 thanks to the the team I mentioned not making it. Throw in the 66 championship game at Cole, no wonder most of us crave to have a program on par with Kansas, UNC, Ky and UCLA.

I might be wrong on Mardesich as well - maybe I should Wikipedia before posting! I am certain that there was a MD bball scrub heading to Med School which GW used as a defense when his graduation rates were coming under scrutiny. My memory is shot....and I don't even have Poopy's excuse for excessive fun and substance abuse.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 21, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Poopy -

You lived in Wicomico? Back when I was in school, that was an honors dorm - you had to have serious grades to get the location and many of the rooms were singles. They instituted the actual "Honors Program" when I was a freshmen which played a huge part in why I went to MD (and the free-ride back when a semester's tuition was <$700.00). But prior to that, it was reserved for kids with really high HS grades + SATs and I believe a fairly high minimum GPA had to be maintained to live there.

Poopy_ - come clean. Were you a "smart kid?" Come cleaner....did you get out in 4 yrs.????

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 21, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Barno -

In terms of the Skins - 1982, RFK, driving rain and howling wind, Mosley for a 48 yarder against the Giants which secures the play-offs and sets the record for most consecutive FGs with the Redskins down by one with two seconds left on the clock. NO ONE HAS LEFT their seats. I was on the Mezzanine and when the stadium erupted, we ran into the stadium because we were certain the roof (which would be the floor to the upper deck) was going to collapse.

Beating Dallas in the NFC Championship game later that season probably tops it, but the Giants game was where Skins fans really started to believe and the relative volume at RFK seemed to go up by decibels (which as MD grads we know are logarithmic and non-linear). RFK used to get loud before then. But afterwards, we were known as one of the loudest (albeit not altogether hostile) environments to play. Unfortunately, the next week or so those morons started wearing dresses and pig-noses to the games and the image of Skins fans (to the rest of the world) suffered tremendously. That Oilers win was huge. That was the bullet dodged, until of course the inexplicable Dallas game that year.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 21, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Hugh that's an awesome post about RFK in 82. for years I had only heard about the Dallas NFC Champ game, great hearing your tale above.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 22, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse