Terps cite improved chemistry for quick ACC start

The mood surrounding the Maryland men's basketball team is drastically different today than it was, say, on Dec. 30 after the Terrapins lost at home to William & Mary. Since then, Maryland has won six of seven games (and played well in its lone loss, which came in overtime).

"We're following Coach Williams's system and we're winning games," senior guard Greivis Vasquez said. "That's what we're doing. Unlike before, we're playing together, I think. In my opinion, now we're playing, you know, just our chemistry says a lot about our team."

So what enabled the Terrapins to flip the switch?

"We started out pretty much with a lot of pressure, you know, me coming back to school, everybody is so high about us, and you know, we just got caught up with all that stuff instead of just really focus on what we needed, which is just practice and getting ready for games," Vasquez said. "Now we're all about that. We're all about getting ready to play games. I mean, our practices have been unbelievable. This is the year that I've seen us practice really, really professionaly, the way everybody takes practice, I mean, everybody's working hard in practice. We practice like we play in the game. That's why we're winning like the way we've been winning. And you've got to give Coach Williams, you know, a lot of credit for that."

Maryland is off to its best start in conference play (4-1) since the Terrapins went 6-1 to open their ACC slate in 2002-03. Through five games last season, Maryland was 2-3 and licking its wounds after a 41-point pounding at Duke. So, yes, teamwide confidence is at a much higher level around Comcast Center this time around.

"It's nice, it's nice, it's real nice," senior guard Eric Hayes said. "I'm used to kind of having a tough time early in the season in the ACC and kind of digging ourselves a hole early, so to get off to a start like this, 4-1 in the ACC, is big for us, but we know there's a long season ahead so we've got to stay focused."

By Steve Yanda  |  January 28, 2010; 1:59 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skinner at Senior Bowl, preparing for NFL draft
Next: Former U-Md. coach Bud Millikan passes away

Comments

We've talked about the improved focus we have seen out of this team over the last few games. Am concerned about maintaining the degree of focus. Terps teams have typically been hyper-intense for periods and then lull a bit. Over the last few games, instead of scoring 16 points in 3 minutes, they have been steadily building their leads and making few mistakes and out hustling the opponent. I like it. To be fair, I kinda missed the hyper-intensity that was used to beat the likes of Duke and UNC in previous years, especially in the comeback wins. I wonder if they can turn it on if needed without the follow-up lull.

Are our Terps ranked next week if they do beat Clemson?

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Interesting quotes from Vasquez.

"Unlike before, we're playing together, I think."

"This is the year that I've seen us practice really, really professionaly, the way everybody takes practice, I mean, everybody's working hard in practice. We practice like we play in the game."

Was this not the case last year? My question is, why wasn't Gary able to get the same intensity out of his players in recent and previous seasons in practice/games?

And no, barno1, FOG-supporters, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually genuinely interested why this wasn't the case last year, 2 years ago, etc?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Poo,

Maybe it's because GV, Hayes and Milbourne - the three leaders last year - knew they still had one more year left. While that isn't the mature outlook to have, it's not exactly easy being mature at 19-22 years old. There are other things like studies, girls, parties, etc, which grab your attention. As a senior you realize this is your last shot and you better make the most out of it. I believe Gary does his best to prepare his team each year. There's only so much guidance and preparation he can provide. Eventually the kids are going to have to learn to walk on their own.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

So in short, the answer could be lack of senior leadership last year.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Poopy: that's a good question. My feeling is that people like Grevis have changed and bought into the system that GW has set up. Part of our difficulties in the past few years is that we had people who wouldn't dedicate themselves enough to the team and to practicing. That led to the team chemistry going downhill. Guys like McCray and Gilchrest may have been good players, but you can't buy chemistry.

It also happens when you have players who stick around for all four years. Guys like Vasquez, Hayes, and Milbourne have been here now for all four years; they know the system inside out; and they know each other well. This is the way you build a team. Gary's way has always been about building a team for the long haul, rather than grab the shiny-new blue-chipper who will only put in one year to your program.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | January 28, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

So in short, the answer could be lack of senior leadership last year.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 2:55 PM |
-------------

Fair enough. Can I ask though, that if there is a lack of senior leadership shouldn't the coach/assistants realize that and try to pick up the slack in practice buy busting their tails (and no I have no idea what does and does not happen at practice so I could be way off base)?

Also, I thought Dave Neal was like one of the best senior leaders ever, anywhere. Or at least that's how he seems to be described by some on here.

Again, not trying to be snarky, just asking.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Good point Poopy_,

I remember a few articles about GW not screaming as much as he used to. I kno wh has stated for years that the team plays as well as it practices.

A big part might be the fact that they have four bigs and can play 5 on 5 with real competition. Clearly, the focus of the team has improved. GV may have tipped his hand to the answer why.

Agree also with the freedom of speech and humor approach from the prior boards. Would not show up on this board if it wasn't funny. That said, I stay away from dishing out the insults myself. Its too hard for folks to differentiate when someone is laughing while they are reading or fuming while they are reading. A lot of folks have dished out a lot of insults on this board (and moreso on RI) many of which have been geniunely funny. That said comparisons to Nazis, Hitler or Christian Laettner are pretty much out-of-bounds-did-we-not-learn-a-thing-from-Gilby-and-colonel-crittendon-about-pushing-humor-too-far?. And the racist stuff should go as there are far more inventive ways to make fun of someone. Ok, I was kidding about Christian Laettner for those who missed it.

Regards -

-hgr

but calling someone Christian Laettner is still cold and nasty and should only be used when as a last resort. I still dislike that dude.

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"As a senior you realize this is your last shot and you better make the most out of it."

fushezzi, is this why you had 3 senior years?

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

fushezzi, is this why you had 3 senior years?

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

That and Bentleys's.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Poo,

You can run thru the motions at practice all you want but once the game starts it's just the players out on the floor. Some players revert to old habits and start relying on athleticism and ability instead of the system they learned in practice. I think we've seen GV do this at times. The difference is this year you have 3 seniors who have been in the system for 4 years. They are the leaders of the team and everyone is following. Dave Neal, while a great teammate, was a role player. I think most would say GV was the primary leader of the Terps last year, not Neal.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

You know, out of all my time at College Park, I only went to Bentley's, Cornerstone, Santa Fe probably a handful of times.

Now, what was that one "bar" that was notorious for letting in minors? All you had to do was show them your id upside down (that was the way for the bouncers to know that there was $5 underneath for them to take and pocket) and they'd let you in with your bribe? The place would have penny-beer nights. Anyone remember what that place was called?

It was on route 1, by all the other bars kinda. It was upstairs between where that head shop used to be (where I got my maryland bong team tshirt) and where the Pot Belly place is now. Anyone remember what that place was called?

And before some get on their typical horses, c'mon a Maryland Bong Team tshirt with a picture of Testudo ripping a tube on the back of said is very funny.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

That and Bentleys's.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Intentionally failing a class may have also had something to do with it

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Really, how do you forget the name of Terrapin Station?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Again, fair enough fushezzi.

I just found it interesting that Vasquez seemed to be implying that practices this year were harder/better than in his previous seasons, which could maybe explain their sub-par play in the past.

But again, I'm not watching practice so who knows.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Terrapin Station. Oh my that's it.

I think there was a rumor that after one of the Art Attacks, OutKast went there and put on another set. Dunno if that was true or not.

But, the Outkast Art Attack was the best ever. That was when it was still on the mall. I think it was the same Art Attack where the Bloodhound Gang performed and a bunch of people tried to protest and stand on that one hill that overlooked the mall and mooned Bloodhound Gang during their set.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Outkast did not do a set at Terp Station but I do agree, it was the best Art Attack.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Now I hate to bring this up, seriously. The one significant recent change is Choi leaving the team. We know he had an interpreter with him. Could his english proficiency have been part of the problem? This renewed focus started with the ACC season. I hope that was major factor as I actually wanted to see him stay four and improve. Note that he was getting more playing time than Padgett so he must have been delivering in practice.

Poopy_ - back in the day we used to call two bars the Cellar and Attic, although the Attic had some other official name. The cellar was more for commuters and had dancing (in the mid to late-80s, when I was in HS, it was a pitcher of watered down beer sort of dive) and was multi-ethnic in terms of clientele. The Attic had live music and you could always find drunk local PG girls looking for a fight there (round midnight they seemed to find each other). Not sure when either of them closed as once I left campus, I only came back to Bentley's. I only went to the Vous about ten times after freshman year - it was more for the Greek crowd and many a MD matriculant ended up being a college dropout thanks to the 'Vous. It burnt and became Cornerstone which I have never set foot in. I did go to a coffee shop called Planet X a few times, and I still go to Bentley's every few years to watch a big game with a partisan crowd.

But my kids love it when I take them to the dairy. And we still grab Gyros now and again from the Marathon Deli. Oh yeah, and the Food Factory has great food and is worth getting carry-out from.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I do remember during Outkast's set me and some buddies were wondering around towards the middle/back of the audience and there seemed to be a lot of PG County locals who brought their pit bulls and I think they were almost fighting them.

We immediately turned around and went back up to the front.

I always thought the Outkast show (and alot of the locals who were pretty much dog fighting on the back end of the mall) was the real reason for UMD moving it inside Byrd.

And that was when Outkast was good too, not when they put out some of the "music" they have recently. Not that Stankonia was that bad.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

That was right around the time Bombs over Baghdad, Rosa Parks etc came out. Great show

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hows this for a wall hanging (I got this one framed): The Button Party - Ritchie Coliseum - $2.00 - $0.25/beer until 6pm - $0.50 after 6 - $2.00 admission.

Musical Acts:
Red Hot Chili Peppers (Headliner)
R.E.M
Violent Femmes
Slickee Boys

March 1984 - the Friday before spring break.

I.just.wish.I.could.actually.remember.it...

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, yeah I pretty much stayed away from Bentley's/Conerstone/Santa Fe because it always seemed like it was overrun with the "greek" types. Just not my scene where every frat guy has the same muscle/body type and all the sorority girls are all dressed the same.

I remember my Aunt telling me about The Attic when she was at UMD.

When we lived in Berkley Apts we went to Town Hall which seemed to be a little bit more for the locals and those students who didn't want to mess with sorority/frat people down the road at the previously mentioned establishments.

Funny you bring up the dairy too as my gf used to work helping make the ice cream once/twice a week. She'd come home with a ton of extra ice cream. I loved the cookies-n-cream, especially because she'd make a batch with extra cookies in it to bring home. Definitely didn't help me try to stay fit.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, Viva Bentleys.

and Alarios

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 3:42 PM
----------------------------------------

It was close but I think it was a year or so before "B.O.B"/"Rosa Parks" and Stankonia came out when they were still kinda promoting Aquemini.

I remember because I was still living in the dorm for that Art Attack, nice short walk from Wicomico over to The Mall. Than a year or so later while living in Berkley Apts we got a bootleg/early/illegal copy of the unfinished Stankonia.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Of course here is the million-dollar question:

Does Tupac still work at Cluck-U?

Cluck-u-pac as he was often called (dunno if anyone actually called him that to his face).

Funny thing is, is that he actually came to our apt. at Berkley once because one of my roommates was really into rap and had a mini-studio set up in his bedroom so he and Tupac laid down some tracks together.

It was almost like we had a quasi-celebrity amongst us.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, Barno,

Wer you guys in school at the same time? I thought Poopy graduated circa 2006-07 and Barno was there around 1992-1993.

Additionally, Barno mentioned he, Fushezzi and others were in Sigma Chi. I went to CP in last September and noticed the house is boarded up. What happened? A ton of my friends were in Sigma Chi and back in the day it was a "great" house, meaning they hooked up with Alpha Phi and Delta Kappa who were the hot chicks on campus.

Had no issues with Greeks, just was not one of them. I'm not white and I have no issues with white people either. But was hard to have fun with friends who were Greek when they were with their greek friends. Then again, by the time they were Juniors, they were seeking some of us out to avoid some of the folks in their houses. Especially if we knew where to find good weed....

Before we get sanctimonious, this was the 1980s and I stopped during my freshman year due to paranoia. To this day (I was in Amsterdam) the smell of it makes me want to hide under covers. I enjoyed it until that point, but there was an event during my freshman year that made me swear it off forever. That and the fact that the drinking age was 18.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Art attack with OutKast was my freshmen year, it was incredible. I don't think i ever made it to another one.

And poop, we talkin' bout practice? Practice, man, practice.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Outkast definitely played BoB and Rosa Parks. It had just come out.

Cluck-Pac wasn't there last time I went (football season).

I was at MD from 1996-2003. And yes, all undergrad

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I graduated before 2003 but pretended to go there for a few more years.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Cluck-U-Pac. Thats better than Long Wood.

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I have two theories for why the team may be practicing harder and focusing better.

One, they have a big man to take the inside pressure off of Milbourne. Yanda's post on this was on target.

Two, except for Williams, all of the starters have another year of experience and the team is mature in a relative sense in college basketball.

Having said that, as fushezzi points out, it's really tough trying to figure out 19-22 year-old boys.

As for the CP bar scene, in my day there were only two bars worth going to in CP...the Vous and the Town Hall. Both were great in there own ways. The Varsity Grill was where the hippies went.

Posted by: petecard | January 28, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi -

You a deshi? That was a common deshi practice when I was in school. Take a few semesters off and walk around with a backpack. Actually graduate, but pretend that you didn't so you hang out and avoid working.

So you were there for the NC and the ensuing riots. You'll have to explain couch-burning to me sometime. I appreciate and like OutKast. I do not get couch-burning. Not saying that you did it yourself, but maybe you understand why it was done.

I watched the NC from RJ Bentley's (as well as other tournament games from 2001 and 2002) and walked through the ensuing riot to get back to my car (parked at the chapel). Surreal.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, I graduated from UMD in 2004 and like fushezzi I had an extended stay at UMD.

1998-2004. Lived in Wicomico the 1st 2 years, Berkely Apts.the middle 2 years, and a house at the top of of Cool Spring Road right across the street from the golf course/driving range.

Let me say this too, when I lived in the house off Cool Spring Road I got a free lunch practically every day.

Walking home from my classes (usually in the English Building) I'd walk through the UMUC building and they always had conferences in there and I'd always walk through and take food that was sitting out for when the conference people had breaks. Not a bad deal for a college student who'd rather spend his money on booze.

The Outkast show I believe was during my sophomore year (spring of '00). They may have played BOB and Rosa Parks but Stankonia had definitely not come out yet (came out in fall of '00). Guess those were 2 songs from the upcoming album that were finished.

One thing I miss about UMD is the Rec Center. To this day that's one of the best facilities I've ever been in.

Plus all the eye candy working out in there was a big plus.

And yeah, Hugh, everyone I knew called him Cluck-U-Pac (but no one I know said that around him).

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I wasnt a deshi but that is an amazing idea. I may do that this Spring.

I was just a kid who graduated college and didnt want to leave the college life. So I got a real job but still spent most weekends in CP. I watched the NC at Santa Fe.

I personally never burned any couches. It was done b/c it got attention and college kids love attention. Some things you can only get away with during mass riots.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 28, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how much guilt I want to admit, but I was there from 99-03; prime rioting & couch-burning time. looking back there is no logical way to explain why, but at the time it all made sense.

I also LOVE that people think barno is in his mid 40s and graduated in 92. dude was in school the same time as me, maybe a little before.

sigma chi got shut down for having a meth lab in the basement.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

And Barno1, since you remembered the name of Terrapin Station maybe you'll (or anyone else) will remember the name of the head shop that used to be right there on Rt. 1, that eventually got closed down. Can't for the life of me remember what that was called either.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I'll give the couch burning a theory. in 99-2000 there was a LOT of pent-up agression for students (especially younger ones in the dorms). UMD was sold as this crazy party school with a killer bar scene, then we arrive and terp station (the underage bar) was shut down and frat parties were awful. honestly, at a technical frat party you were required to show id and you got tickets for how many beers you could drink. so a lot of kids just got wasted in their dorm rooms with no real social outlet other than the dining hall. Then we beat duke at cameron early in 2000. kids went nuts. the rioting started outside of the north campus dining hall, then we went to the front of the library, next thing you know the goalposts appeared from byrd and we started carrying them down to frat row.

Why did all this happen? There was NOTHING else for 5,000 18 year old kids to do.

I mean I guess study was an option but let's be honest.

I don't know if that helps explain it, but that was my mindset as I carried those goalposts across route 1. From there, the victories gained importance and the riots grew larger. Also helped that UNC was down at the time so UMD and Dook were the big-dogs of the conference.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

head shop was called Simply Kind (i think)

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

A what??? Did you say Meth lab in the basement?? You are so pulling my leg here. Seriously. How-does-that-happen? Are you screwing with the old (hey, I am f*ing middle aged) guy?

Barno - how do you have such extensive knowledge of Terrapin's history? Were you in elementary school when LB died? I was two floors below and had no idea until 11:00 am when I was in summer session and people were talking about it. I slept through the whole thing.

So you guys never have experienced a truly crappy MD team. Ok maybe in Football (we all did this last year) but when you were there it was during the great bball run and the resurgence of football. That might explain the divergence on expectations and definitions of success.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

My junior year, football wins ACC and goes to Orange Bowl. Hoops goes to final four and wins NC. I attended both, Miami for New Years and Atlanta over Spring Break.

I cannot imagine a better year to ever be in college.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

jpfterps, I wouldn't say it was aggression that was pent up, just over all pent-up-ness. Definitely didn't help that there was really nothing else to do in CP. You didn't realize it on your freshman orientation (and it took you living there on a daily basis) that the surrounding area off campus was all kinda dumpy with nowhere close by for tons of college kids to go to.

With that said I did have a very pleasant experience (and found the Holy Grail, if you will) one time while at Greenbelt Mall, or Ghetto Mall as we called it.

Not to mention the time during broad day light on 2 separate instances where we saw an old man peeing right there into a trashcan right outside the Giant there.

When we lived in Wicomico, someone labeled us the worst dorm on campus and we almost took that as a badge of honor. One night some of the swimmers that lived in our dorm got all drunk and ripped the water fountain out of the the wall flooding the entire floor (and really really flooding the basement level below). We got a bunch of detergent and had a soapy slip-n-slide in the hall. Of course it kinda helped that our RA was never there and when he was he didn't care what we did.

My friends and I never actually burned couches, carried goal posts, etc. but we always definitely went down and watched and hung out. It was almost (in some stupid way) a uniting factor for the students. Something for everyone to rally around and express school spirit (as dumb as it sounds).

And Simply Kind does sound oddly familiar. They had some nice glass pieces in the back there too.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 28, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

As you get further away from college, you appreciate it more. Yes, I am jealous. When I came to CP, the drinking age was changing, but carding was still optional. Those born before July 1, 1964 were allowed to drink at age 18. Everyone else had to wait until they were 21. The drinking age was 18 in DC for the next few years so that is where we went. I was born in 1965, but for college park purposes, fake ids were expected and accepted if they were even asked for. The 'Vous had to b/c they were always in danger of shutting down. Not sure that anyplace else did unless someone was clearly underage (like a HS girl wearing her High Point HS cheerleader's jacket - which I did see at the cellar) but if they could produce any id, no problem. Beer trucks would pull up on Fraternity row and there were two bars in the student union alone. But then the drinking age began to rise, and seriously, i had a close friend born July 1, 1964 who could not be more bitter. King Tom was in charge of the SGA and proposed building a moat of beer around campus. The bars on campus closed. Carding on the route became enforced (by the time I was 21 so no big deal for me) and the school started running buses to and from Georgetown on weekend evenings so that the underclassmen could drink (and get in fights with marines at Annies). But sh*t changed when Len Bias died. All of a sudden, a guy minding his own business whose neighbor threw a few seeds in a part of his yard he never went to gets arrested for growing and they take his f*ing house. Reagan years. The new conservatism. It is weird how different 1983 was from 1987. The Varsity grill disappeared for a few years and then the site became Santa Fe (which was great because it was where the hot, non-greek chicks hung out). ahh - I'm rambling.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Seriously...a Meth lab?

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

ha-the meth lab thing is a rumor.

this is my favorite day ever on TI

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

And I mean that I am jealous that a NC was won while you were in school. We won an ACC tourney while I was in school and more than our share of bowl games (boomer-reich-gelbaugh). But the NC in BBall - There is no more meaningful trophy in my book. And you guys got the very best facility for bball I have ever seen or even imagined. You can proudly say "I was in school with Earl Badu!" And you went to a school with a much better academic reputation than I did. I do feel for you in terms of drinking. I do not recall much of my freshmen year b/c of the availability (should I eat at Roy Rogers or get a beer? Hmmm.) and the fact that the paranoia incident had not yet taken place. I was pretty messed up most of the time as a freshman. But it got out of my system, I learned responsible drinking and had more fun in DC than I did in CP (lotta cougars at Deja Vu and Rumours). Moved to DC for the last couple of years and did a reverse commute.

I always did find the dorm parties more fun than the greek parties though. Not sure why. I remember to going to a few even as a senior and having a great time.

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

jfp - you got me. that was good. Seriously, does Sigma chi still exist on campus?

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

nope-got kicked off my sophomore year

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Damn, this is bringing back memories. I'm with you JPfterps, it's pretty hilarious some people think I'm in my 40s. Nope, I'm 2 years old then Jpfterps and a year+ younger than Fushezzi.

Totally agree that the 2001/2002 year was the greatest ever to be a MD student...too bad I graduated the year before--but luckily I still had my student ID and was able to get tix to the Orange Bowl and Final Four for student prices.

Hugh, i can't explain it other than to say I have a pretty weird memory. I can't remember what I ate for dinner 2 nights ago, but I can tell you what Steve Blake said to the media after scoring 17 in a win over Kentucky in Dec '99. I guess if I had my choice I'd prefer the short term memory...always good to know what I ate for dinner 2 nights ago so I don't eat the same thing twice in 3 nights.

Couch burning: Watched but didn't burn any of my own couches.
Goal Post burning: Definitely partook
Random bonfires after big wins (or losses): always good, so long as no one gets hurt
Rioting/Messing with PG County police: Never good. Never.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

poopy_ -

Wicomico as the worst dorm on campus? You know what it was back in my day (when every one still used cassette tapes and turntables to listen to vinyl records) and even those of us in college did not go out on a Friday night (if we did at all) until AFTER Miami Vice was over. I love the slip in slide. That stuff never happened when I was there. We pennied an RA in her room once and that was about it. And someones little sister puked in the common room. I do remember the rule was that if some was feeling nauseous, we would automatically take them to puke on a different floor from where everyone was partying.

Remember - you lot went to a much smaller school than I did with actual competitive admissions (like they didn't let people in with crappy grades or crappy SATs). They used let almost any moron in, but you did have to run the gauntlet to graduate.

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me if I correct my buddy Jpfterps. Yes, Sigma Chi is still around, they were booted thanks to years and years of violations, but now they're back. The house on Norwhich is boarded up but we still own the place. The current kids live in the old TEP house on Knox.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

barno -

Were you a Terps fan before you got to college then? You seem to either have a wealth of knowledge about the team OR know of a website that has all kinds of Terps info.

So you were there for the Steve Francis year as well. That was an exciting year - T. Morris looked like he was the best player in the program since Joe Smith. Lotta size (Mardesich, Ekezie). Can't remember how the season ended but remember being disappointed. I thought that was a MD team for the ages. how little did I know that Juan Dixon (who was a 3-point specialist on that team) would emerge like he did. How did anyone?

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Nobody did, that is part of what makes Juan so special. Dude was all heart. That year they got blown out in the Sweet 16. BLOWNOUT

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean TEP is gone? They actually had a few Asians in the house but if I recall they were primarily a Jewish fraternity. Lotta nice guys in that house. You know, the ones that would run around DC with my crowd b/c they needed to escape the house now and again....and b/c there were no cougars at the Vous. Good to hear that Sigma Chi still exists. It was a great house to go to for parties and such.

You know what Barno, I think someone accused you of being of a certain profile at one point and you did not refute it. So I assumed. Additionally, you seem to approach MD sports as someone who suffered from knowing what its like to be a national contender in fb and bb, seeing it crumble apart, then watching the slow steady climb out of the ashes. This whole time I thought you had actually bemoaned Brian Williams transferring, when you may not have even ever have seen him play as Bison Dele. Wow. And JfP got me good with the Meth lab. I just started laughing about it again. The other thing is with your exchanges with Carolina1 he has always goaded you for not being a higher contributor to the university. Well if your that young, it kinda makes sense. Those clubs are for (not f*ing old) middle aged pukes like me.

I assumed. My bad. Thanks though for clearing it up.

Meth lab...thats good.

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpfterps | January 28, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

40-20 at half time...that was REAL bad. Knew as soon as the pairings came up on Selection Sunday we were in trouble when I saw we'd be matched up against St. Johns and Ron Artest, Eric Barklay etc team.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah. I had conveniently blocked that memory of the St. Johns game. Juan was as special as they come. He made paying attention to the Wiz worthwhile. I got to go to a game where Juan, Lonny and chris Wilcox (then a Supersonic) were on the floor at the same time. The loudest roar I ever heard at the phonebooth that was not related to the kisscam.

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

barno -

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

No special Terps site. Was a Terps fan prior to coming to MD but not nearly as big until I was a student. My brother went to MD 10 years before I did in the mid to late 80s and when Gary got there, he told me "by the time you get here, MD will be a national power." Never forgot that, he was right.

I grew up obsessed with Gtown. Started with the Ewing teams when I was little, but my interest grew exponential when Mourning and Mutumbo got there, loved that squad w/ Joey Brown, Robert Churchwell, Charles Harrison (before he transferred) + the twin towers. And to this day, I think their 96 team was the best in my lifetime to not make a final four, with Allen Iverson, Victor Page, Jerome Williams, Jahidi White, and Othella "the big fella" Harrington (4 of the 5 had legit NBA careers, with Iverson obviously having a hall of fame career...victor page left for the pros after his sophomore year, which was a big mistake). Anyhow, they made the elite 8, but were a championship worthy squad--much like the 00/01 and 98/99 Terps.

So when the Terps played Gtown in 93 in Joe Smith/Keith Booth's first game, me and my bros were there (only one of which were rooting for MD). Classic game...too bad they can't make it happen on a regular basis.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Barno -

Was fanatical about Georgetown basketball when I was at MD in the 80s. I don't know that I missed any of their games unless I had tickets to a MD game at the same time. The Big East was so packed with talent in those days (as was the ACC) and getting to the Cap Center was no problem. There were a ton of Gtown sweatshirts on campus at the time. Yes MD had won the ACC and Branch and Bias were stars, but not in the same neighborhood as Ewing (and Reggie Williams, David Wingate, etc.) at the time (three FFs and a NC). Loved the pressure D, and John Thompson II and still enjoy seeing them win. But MD comes first and that '93 game changed everything. It is probably because of Gtown that I am so obsessed with MD getting more size, more true 5s and 4s. Last year was painful - don't get me wrong, I thought Dave Neal performed admirably. But the guy did not have Lonny's speed and bulk to anywhere near effective at the 5 spot. Now JW, thats some nice size with some great skills. He is a guy who I would love to see match up against Georgetown's bigs.

I have decided that I need to take my kids to the dairy this weekend. Y'all have made me reminiscent and hungry at the same time. cookies and creme. Hopefully I won't get a parking ticket while I'm there.

I can see what JFP and Poopy are saying about boredom on campus leading to a riot. life gets too restrictive and boring, a lot of folks will look for mayhem. Kinda like the infield at the Preakness I guess.

Yeah, Some of the folks on this board are anti-Gtown and I never get that. Then again, some folks are actually Nats fans when there is a slighly less sh*tty team in Balmer that gave us St. Cal (who thankfully has not been linked to roids in any way shape or form). Agree that the 96 team was unbelievably packed. Then again, am still shocked that Ewing and co. lost that NC to Villanova. That team was absolutely on of the best...I do think that if JT II had allowed Michael Graham to stay they would have gone undefeated.

Fun day on this board. Thanks guys. Am definitely heading to CP this weekend.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | January 28, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Hokies beat the Wahoos. MD has sole possession of first place in the ACC.

Nice.