Terps turn in a 'mature' performance

Florida State forward Chris Singleton's would-be dunk midway through the first half of Sunday's nine-point Maryland win left an impression on his coach, Leonard Hamilton. Mainly, watching one of his players soar toward the basket and ram the ball off the back of the rim helped crystalize for Hamilton one of the primary differences that night between his Seminoles and the Terrapins.

"I thought that Maryland played a lot more mature than we did tonight," Hamilton said. "I thought that they had a game plan that they stuck with. They moved the ball and made the extra pass ... They were able to stick with their game plan for the full 40 minutes and I thought that we didn't. In the first half we took the first shot opportunity that was available and we really had not been doing that. We've been moving the ball to make the extra pass, but our team is still growing and learning and developing. I thought Maryland consistency with the execution just demonstrated a little more maturity than what we have right now."

Hamilton said he was hopeful that the Seminoles could keep Maryland from extending its lead beyond "six or seven points" while their 7-foot-1 center Solomon Alabi sat on the bench with foul trouble. Alabi played only five minutes in the first half.

The Terrapins had shot 51.6 percent from the field and made 5 of 10 shots from beyond the arc in the first half. On the other end of the court, Maryland's pestering man-to-man defense combined with Florida State's offensive futility to make for a 14-point Terrapins lead at halftime.

"We missed so many lay-ups, I thought, and the dunk, but had we been able to play with a little bit more maturity, we wouldn't have dug such a hole for ourselves," Hamilton said. "But that's what good teams will do for you. Mature teams ... even when they have the lead, they kept the pace that they thought was comfortable for them to give them the best opportunity to win."

By Steve Yanda  |  January 11, 2010; 10:16 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The shots that draw prayers, angst and cheers
Next: Scouting Wake Forest

Comments

Steve, can we get a scouting report on Wake Forrest please? Thanks.

Posted by: lavar609 | January 11, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hamilton calling the Terps mature after GV shimmies not once, but twice, after drilling 3s? Dont get me wrong, I loved it, but mature isn't a word I'd use to describe a team led by GV

Posted by: fushezzi | January 11, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

GV's spastic shimmy gets on my nerves, but he did play like a star yesterday. LM and EH played like experienced seniors.

Note to the board - I think its clear that Poopy, Petecard and Restonhoops actually are Terp fans, albeit at times vocally critical and especially towards GW. That said, no more acusations that they are Duke fans lingering on our board. Anyone with a knowledge of the ACC knows that a Duke fan would spend all of his time (because, lets face it, its not like they are out getting laid) on an UNC board toying with the Tar Heels.

Looking forward to the scouting report on Wake. Two wins to start the ACC season is what is needed this year and hopefully the focus and sense of urgency we saw yesterday will continue tomorrow night. Given our out of conference results, this team will need 10+ conference wins to bubble in or out of the tournament this year. Weak ACC, not sure that 9-7 will be good enough. Stealing one at Wake will help tremendously on that end.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 11, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Fushezzi,

We have to make a distinction between GV's emotional maturity/behavior and his basketball knowledge and execution.

He will always act like an imbecile on the court...sometimes comical, sometimes annoying.

But if you look at his decisions based off of Florida State's defensive schemes, he showed a lot of poise, patience and intelligence...in other words, maturity.

A few stats:

MD is second in the ACC in team assist to turnover ratio at 1.4. Duke is first at 1.5.

GV is 3rd in the ACC is assists per game at 6.1. Larry Drew for NC is 1st at 6.3

GV is 7th in assit to turnover ratio at 1.9. Hayes is second at 2.4. Jon Scheyer is 1st at 4.7...Wow!

Bottom Line: I think GV's antics make him appear to be more careless and reckless than he actually is.

Posted by: larry31 | January 11, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Very good win

Posted by: Kev29 | January 11, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Win both and we start pushing ourselves into the bubble conversation, split and we still have some hope of life, lose both and it's probably lights out.

Posted by: restonhoops | January 11, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

3-0 in the ACC and we'll be pushing ourselves into bubble consideration?? Wow, way to find a way to have a pessimistic outlook even after a big win. Petecard, much to our surprise, has been sounding more and more like a normal Terp fan lately, but I knew you wouldn't disappoint us Restonhoops. We need someone around here to try to keep everyone from getting excited about this team.

By the way, who was it who said Vasquez needs to go and that he's killing this team? Hmmm...6 straight games above 20 pts, no doubt you're disappointed in his offensive rebounding and lack of any 4-point plays.

Overall, terps did what I expected them to do...handle an acc opponent with relative ease at home. I still think this team will win double digits games in the ACC and contend for the league title.

As for the Terrapin Outsider, Yanda you may want to post something about the Terps HUGE coup over the weekend. The DC area's top prospect, Javarie Johnson, backing out of his committment to Miami and deciding to come to MD. I know your probably busy, but Terps fans might want to read about that.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 11, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------

Actually HGR - Poo is a Miami fan.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 11, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Great win last night. The Terps need to use the momentum for tomorrow's game vs. Wake.

Yeah, in football, Johnson's commitment is big news for the Terps, but they need more players like that and better ones.

Posted by: SirPelleas | January 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Actually HGR - Poo is a Miami fan.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 11, 2010 1:22 PM
------------

What I can't be a fan of both? Not my fault I started rooting for the 'Canes when they were still an "independent" school, before they joined The Big East and long before they joined The ACC.

Sorry pal, your tactics ain't gonna work.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Tactics Poo? My statement was true, was it not?

When Miami plays Maryland on the 26th, who will you be rooting for?

Posted by: fushezzi | January 11, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

As I've said before and I guess have to repeat yet again for some is that when it comes to bball I'll go with the Terps.

It's 'Canes football and baseball I'm more passionate about.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The word "mature" to describe GV is rather ironic. I think Larry31 does a very good job describing his play and the difference between his play and his emotional, immature antics. When we win and he play well one can live with it. When we lose and he plays badly it is irritating.

HGR also said it well..."GV's spastic shimmy gets on my nerves, but he did play like a star yesterday."

I can't overstate how far a win at Wake will go toward setting this team up to make a strong, sustained run in the conference. Am I confident, sorry , but no. Today is a very big day for the team to focus and to come down from the high of yesterday's win. Thsi is where we will see their real level of maturity.

Posted by: petecard | January 11, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse