Three things to watch

Later tonight, Maryland will host Miami at Comcast Center in a game the Terrapins should be able to claim given A) their stellar performance of late, and B) the Hurricanes' struggles in recent weeks. Additionally, Maryland would do well to build up as much momentum as it can heading into a more trying portion of its conference schedule (at Clemson, at Florida State, vs. North Carolina). In any event, here are a few things to keep track of during tonight's game:

1) Dwayne Collins. Miami Coach Frank Haith said the Hurricanes got away from trying to feed the ball inside in the second half of their four-point loss Jan. 19 to Boston College. Last season, Miami could rely on its three-point shooting to bail it out of tough situations, but this year -- with sharpshooter Jack McClinton gone -- the emphasis has to be on getting the ball to Collins in the post. He is the team's leading scorer and primary offensive threat. Maryland forward Landon Milbourne likely will be charged with defending Collins, and if Milbourne can match Collins's athleticism and prevent him from receiving the ball too often in the post, Miami likely will resort to relying on its perimeter shooting to keep up with Maryland on the scoreboard.

2) Press defense. Assuming Miami goes with the same starting lineup it did last week against Boston College, the Hurricanes will begin the game with Collins, Reggie Johnson and Adrian Thomas on the floor. If that's the case, Maryland would be wise to press the living daylights out of Miami. Neither Collins, Johnson nor Thomas are particularly deft ball-handlers, and the Terrapins could jump out to an early lead if their press can force turnovers/transition scoring opportunities, as it typically does.

3) Greivis Vasquez. The senior guard stands 12 points shy of passing Lonny Baxter and moving into sixth place on Maryland's all-time scoring list. Vasquez is averaging 17.9 points per game on the season and 22.0 points per game in conference play. He'll likely be defended by Miami guard James Dews, who is known as a solid perimeter defender, but still, it seems highly likely Vasquez will climb into sixth place at some point tonight.

By Steve Yanda  |  January 26, 2010; 9:43 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Because you can't get enough ... another Goins update
Next: Booth honored by ACC

Comments

If Landon is guarding Collins by himself, we could be in trouble. It's nothing against Landon's defense, but his size does not match up well with the taller and beefier Collins. If Landon is given the primary duty of defending Collins, I would expect a lot of double-teams.

I would probably expect a team approach against Collins with Dino and Jordan Williams drawing the primary guarding assignment against Collins with Landon taking on Johnson/Thomas. Unlike the last two games, this one will be won on the blocks.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 26, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

3 things the crowd needs to keep in mind tonite:

1) Be loud at all times when miami is on offense and at the FT line
2) keep the racial heckling down (lot of inappropriate comments hurled at NC State's Gonzalez last week from the student section)
3) make last week's quality chant of "LETS. GET. WASTED." a new staple to end the game.

The longer the Hurricanes are in the game, the more confident they will be down the stretch. Step on Miami early and crush their spirit.

Viva Gary, Go Terps

Posted by: Barno1 | January 26, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately they also have a 6-10 300lb young center that Williams will have to guard, which is why Landon will have to guard Collins.

Posted by: matt8 | January 26, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I expect we'll see more of Padgett tonight to help out on D.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 26, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of advising the student cheers, but I don't think many students are reading our comments. The comment board is more for the working set that is bored sitting at a desk.

Big game tonight, need to keep the momentum going with Clemson waiting for us on Sunday.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 26, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

B - good point on the treatment of Gonzalez. Absolutely unacceptable.

This is a MUST win - the Miami loss last year was the trigger to a lot of the infighting on this board. If GW manages to get this team to maintain the focus and execution we have seen since the W&M game, then that would be a great job of coaching. It seems that the comments from the players about staying even-keeled and on task are a break from the unsustainable hyper-intensity that we saw from previous Terps teams. Am more used to seeing the Terps score ridiculous amounts of points in short bursts; unbelievable runs that erase 10-point deficits in moments. This last sequence of games has shown a Terps team that maintains steady, heady play with a few GV whatsits mixed in. I actually believe it will not be close - Terps by 15 scoring in the high 80s.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 26, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 26, 2010 1:10 PM
-------------

Yeah, that's such a good one..............

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 26, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

So let's see, Barno tries to dump on me and claim I "brag" about drug use...

But than the same Barno turns around and wants to encourage a bunch of 17, 18, 19, 20 year olds to brag about getting wasted.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!

To quote Ned Flanders, "Wow. As melon-scratchers go, that's a honey-doodle."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 26, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Please don't encourage the students to act like idiots. "Let's get wasted" isn't funny or clever and has nothing to do with anything. When I was a student, it was so embarassing to have to listen to crap like this while sitting in the student section, knowing that everyone thinks all the students are in on it. I love Maryland, but I have to wonder why they accept students who are dumb enough to think this is funny.

The crowd is not going to make Maryland win or make Miami lose. Leave the idiotic overthought chants to Duke.

Posted by: spret07 | January 26, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, have to disagree with you Spret. Lets Get Wasted is about the funniest cheer I've ever heard from a crowd in unison. (That and Duke's "I'm from Maryland and nobody can beat me" chant directed at NCM). Everyone in the seats around me were laughing their arses off when the students came up with that. Were you not at the game?

And Spret, please don't tell us you're one of the people that lobbied the school to take away Rock N Roll Part II from the band's play list back in 04? Seriously people, get over yourselves. No child who watches tv or listens to the radio doesn't know the word "hell" or "suck" already. Your PC agenda holds no weight. That chant to start every game made the atmosphere great at the beginning of every home game (for football too).

And again, as for Poopy, I didn't say anyone was knocking you for doing Shrooms in college, I said what people were mocking you for was your bragging about it, repeatedly, on here. Honestly who does that?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 26, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Maryland students reputation is largely unfounded and caused by the administration's constant bashing and criticism of the entire fan base every time some idiot does something stupid, more than the actual actions of the students. Travel to any other ACC venue and you'll find their fans are no better than MD and far worse in some cases. How about defending the students for once. I wish the MD athletic department would go after other schools racial attacks on Vazquez with the same vigor as they go after their own students attacks on Gonzalez.

Posted by: MattyBoh | January 26, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Did they crack down on the students after the slurs on Gonzalez? I didn't see it reported anywhere, just relayed what I heard at the game (mow my lawn! i'm calling immigration services! speak english! go back to puerto rico!...inappropriate comments like those that I heard throughout the game). Can only imagine how badly Vasquez gets it in other arenas, especially the 2 virginia schools (uva in particular, whose students unbelievably mocked Juan Dixon for his parents dying of AIDS)

Posted by: Barno1 | January 26, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 26, 2010 5:07 PM
-----------

Ah the old they did it to us first so we can do it to them, 2 wrongs make a right argument. Sweet......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 26, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

No, I did not lobby to have the song banned. I couldn't really care that much. I did think it was dumb and overhyped and weirdly given a lot of credit for teams winning. "Hey! You suck!" Very original. It was surely intimidating to opposing teams. "We suck?? Who knew? Better pack it in guys, you heard 'em..."

People who laugh at a chant of "let's get wasted" are dumb and have a 16 year old sense of humor. I'm sorry, but that is not funny. I'm not taking it seriously or saying it's offensive, because it isn't. I could care less about political correctness. It just simply isn't funny. You say everyone around you was laughing, but I am guessing one or two of them was laughing and the rest of the arena was rolling their eyes. HA HA, THEY'RE ALL SAYING LET'S GET WASTED! THAT MEANS DRUNK! IN UNISON! CLASSIC! GET THESE KIDS ON SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE!

Like, I said, I love Maryland, but this kind of crap is so embarassing. It's especially embarassing when adults get in on it and support it. Grow up.

Posted by: spret07 | January 26, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 26, 2010 5:07 PM
-----------

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 26, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

What planet are you living on Poopy? I never said nor implied it was okay to use racial epithets towards our opponents...I said exactly the opposite.

Again, this is why engaging you is completely pointless. Your comments never make any sense, and despite countless attempts, you've never made a relevant point on here try as you might.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 27, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Spret, judging by your comments, I seriously doubt you've ever been to a sporting event before, much less a Maryland game. But hey, feel free to tell everyone else how to behave at the games that you aren't even at.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 27, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Frankly I find it hard to believe that any of you ever see any Maryland games with the time you spend sitting on this blog. The copying and pasting is so stupid and incredibly irritating to people who scroll down to read legitimate comments about the BLOG POST. I know that seems nuts, right? Commenting about the post above? Maybe try getting out of the basement once in a while and talking to another human being. I won't go so far as to say female, because let's be honest here, the two or three of you copy/pasters have never talked to a woman in your life.

I suggest that you look into seeing the movie "Big Fan."

Posted by: spret07 | January 27, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

The guy who is picking stupid fights on a posting board is really telling others they should see Big Fan? Why don't you also tell others they are ruining the comments section while you sit there and pick fights on the very same thread Spret?

I mean is this guy for real?!? Total dbag

Posted by: LilyTerp01 | January 27, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse