Vetter talks about Ross, early commitments

Montrose Christian Coach Stu Vetter made an appearance Wednesday on Verbally Committed -- A DMV Prepcast on 106.7 The Fan HD-2 -- and spoke with hosts B.J. Koubaroulis and Stephen Ball about a number of issues. One topic Vetter touched on that might be of interest to Maryland fans was the recruitment of senior shooting guard Terrence Ross*, who recently backed out of his verbal commitment to the Terrapins in order to consider other programs.

* Vetter is asked about Ross five minutes into the 20-minute segment, if you're interested only in hearing that part.

"After (Ross's) commitment back in April he stayed around this summer and worked on his game," Vetter said. "He got better. He didn't play AAU, which I think was a big plus for him because he had an opportunity to actually work on his game, not just go around and play games. And I think that he got a lot better. The other factor, too, is his mom is out on the west coast, so I think she wanted to be involved in the decision. And when we talk in terms of Maryland, we don't talk in terms of a de-commitment. We just re-opened his recruitment to a limited number of schools, and the schools that he re-opened it to are some of the elite of college basketball."

The other schools Ross is considering are Duke, Kentucky and Kansas, though Vetter made clear that the player has not ruled out eventually ending up in College Park.

"He still has a lot of interest in Maryland, and I think his decision will come this spring, and it will be a more informed decision," Vetter said.

In terms of early commitments or early signings in general, Vetter said he does not believe they are a good idea.

"I think kids have a difficult time, you know, making an informed decision a year before they're going to even, or a year and a half before they're going to attend the college," Vetter said. "Some of these verbal commitments, I saw one a couple years ago where an eighth grader committed to Kentucky. To me, that just doesn't make any sense. But when somebody does make a verbal commitment, I think they need to research it and make sure that they're making the right decision."

By Steve Yanda  |  January 14, 2010; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rebounding the key to future Maryland success this season
Next: Predicting the future ... in real time

Comments

Ross sat behind me at the last home game. When he walked in, he got a nice round of applause from the students. Not sure how these kids recognized him but I'm sure that didn't hurt in his recruiting, knowing that you're already a household name in College Park before you've ever stepped foot on the court. I like that Vetter says he still has a lot of interest in MD...I think we've got a decent shot in him eventually ending up here. I mean, after rudy gay, jai lucas, gus gilchrist, terrence jennings, lance stephenson, etc... we're due right?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 14, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Gary continues to be a great coach but year after year he has the least talent in the ACC.

Posted by: lavar609 | January 13, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Least talent in the ACC? You're out of your mind.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 14, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Maryland's best years were without highly touted prospects coming out of high school. When we started going after big names and pinning hopes on big time high school stars rather than lesser known guys from the area, the program took a turn for the worse. Get back to how you built the program Gary. Ju. Co. players were some of our best.

Posted by: kevin_rigsby19 | January 14, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Duke == Nike
Md == Under Armour

That's why he decommitted.

Posted by: cmterpsnskins | January 14, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

All Gary needs is to find another "skinny kid from Baltimore".

Ah, the days of Juan Dixon

Posted by: bflorhodes | January 14, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I think we'll likely to see a JuCo kid take Jin Soo Choi's scholarship. Alleghany CC has given us the likes of Jamar Smith, Steve Francis, Ryan Randle, and even Yellow Ledbetter. Not sure who they have to offer this year.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 14, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

we are definitely bottom half talent wise in the conference. I'm cool with it, Gary gets more out of his players than any other coach in the conference, but no sense in arguing either. We give scholarships to walk-ons at Carolina

Posted by: jpfterps | January 14, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes, if we go by the recruiting service rankings we are clearly in the bottom tier of the ACC since 2003. I am not saying that we have no talent, I am just saying our talent level is not better than even with even a Virginia or Boston College in a typical year.

@Barno1

Posted by: lavar609 | January 13, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Least talent in the ACC? You're out of your mind.

Posted by: lavar609 | January 14, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse