Gary Williams: Tomorrow's game to go on as scheduled

Just a few moments ago, Maryland Coach Gary Williams spoke with reporters on a teleconference call in advance of tomorrow afternoon's game against North Carolina. Despite all the snow that has and will hit the area this weekend, Williams said the contest will be played as scheduled.

In response to a question about a 2003 game against Wake Forest that was postponed due to inclement weather, Williams said he barely remembered it, but that the two situations will not share the same outcome.

"I remember it was postponed, which won't happen here," Williams said. "The referees are here; everything's set to go. But I think we played like a five o'clock game in the middle of the week, so it was different. But this game will be a typical Maryland-North Carolina game. I think the crowd will be great. I think everybody will be involved. Carolina played a great game against Virginia Tech. The last 30 minutes of that game they were the best team on the floor. It should be a great basketball game."

Williams, who has been at Comcast Center since Friday and does not plan to leave the arena until after the game Sunday, said there is a possibility that students who do not have tickets to the North Carolina game may be allowed in so that more unused seats will be filled. He said a statement from the university regarding the matter will be released later this afternoon.

"We're very fortunate here to have basically a sold out place, you know, in terms of season tickets," Williams said. "The 4,000 student tickets that are available every game have been picked up for the game, so there's a fine line there where you want everybody to have a seat that is here. It's being worked on right now."

Maryland Athletic Director Debbie Yow said in an email that "there will be some type of offer to students without tickets to come over."

Yow also wrote that no guarantees will be made for entrance into the game, but "perhaps several thousands no shows could occur."

Obviously, this is not an ideal situation for anyone involved. But, as Williams noted, both the Terrapins and the Tar Heels are having to deal with the same set of circumstances.

"There's no disadvantage or advantage here," Williams said. "Carolina got in yesterday in time to practice here, and so they've been here. It's not a normal routine, but it's not normal for either team, so you have to deal with it."

By Steve Yanda  |  February 6, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A coach's view on the Tar Heels
Next: Maryland urges fans to "use extreme travel caution" in regards to Sunday's game

Comments

"But I think we played like a five o'clock game in the middle of the week, so it was different."

It was a Sunday game postponed to a Monday.
A 25 pt whooping over a top 10 team in a blizzard that put the Terps in first place...come on Gary, hard to believe you barely remember it.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 6, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Btw, great to hear they're going to let more students in. More students = louder arena = better home court advantage. Good work Debbie.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 6, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE that Gary is sleeping at Comcast. Intensity for days.

Debbie sucks

Fired up for the game tomorrow. I remember a game my senior year (03) when they just let students come without tickets. I thought it was a weekend but maybe it was that Monday wake game Barno is talking about.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 6, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Who said anything about Gary sleeping? Gary is like Chuck Norris, he doesn't need sleep.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 6, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Gary Williams doesn't need sleep, sleep needs Gary Williams.

I wish they'd expand the student section in Comcast.

Posted by: Colm1 | February 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I just want to know if Barno1 is gonna be Mr.Tough-guy and confront a heckler like he's threatened to do over on The Sports Bog. He's even gone far enough to demand said heckler tell Barno1 where his section/seat # is.

Internet tough-guys are awesome.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 6, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, you are the king internet tough-guy. Your whole deal is to try to pick arguments on the faceless internet. Shut the hell up.

Gary is the man. Staying at comast during the storm? That's great.

The legend grows.

Posted by: Terpsrob | February 6, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry rob but I don't demand someone give me their seat/section # so I can than go confront them because they want to heckle UMD players.

Oh snap! But keep defending your butt-buddy. Just make sure I get in invite to your 2's wedding. I'll even get you 2 guys a gift from wherever it is your decide to register at.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 6, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

and you're wrong rob, I'm simply king internet.

Or even, the Internet King.

So if you're interested in upgrading your 28.8 kilobaud Internet connection to a 1.5 megabit fiber optic T1 line and want me to provide an IP router that's compatible with your token ring ethernet LAN configuration, than I'm the guy for you (for business purposes only, don't want you BFF getting upset).

Or who knows, maybe you're just trying to get faster nudity.

Internet King? Totally.

Internet Tough Guy? Nah, that's the section/seat # demande-guy.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 6, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Must say it's not easy ignoring my internet stalker Poopy when he's constantly on every blog stalking my every comment and misrepresenting and distorting my every word. The guy is a total lunatic.

The comments my psycho-stalker is referring to on DC Sports Bog in response to my "demanding" (asking) for the seat number of a "heckler" are below:

On Steinberg's blog (which was about racist comments directed at Vasquez) Tony_M5 writes:

im a huge MD supporter and can hardly watch this disgrace of a person (Vasquez) play for the Terps. He is constantly talking crap (to home and away fans), and he is average player and below average person. He's a selfish gunner jerk, that Gary has absolutely no control over. I cannot wait for him to leave. Late 2nd round draft pick, wont make and nba roster. Adios Amigo!!!

GREVIS IS AN @SS!!!!

Im starting this chant in section 110 at home against UNC!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 6, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"Williams, who has been at Comcast Center since Friday and does not plan to leave the arena until after the game Sunday..."
--------------------------------

I LOVE that Gary is sleeping at Comcast. Intensity for days.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 6, 2010 1:34 PM
-------------------------

My coach, my coach, don't lie to me,
Tell me where did you sleep last night.

In the pines, in the pines,
Where the sun don't ever shine.
I would shiver the whole night through.

My coach, my coach, where will you go?
I'm going where the cold wind blows.

In the pines, in the pines,
Where the sun don't ever shine.
I would shiver the whole night through

Our Coach, was a hard working man,
Just about a mile from here.
His head was found in a playbook,
But his opponent never was found.

My coach, my coach, don't lie to me,
Tell me where did you sleep last night.

In the pines, in the pines,
Where the sun don't ever shine.
I would shiver the whole night through.

My coach, my coach, where will you go?
I'm going where the cold wind blows.

In the pines, in the pines,
Where the sun don't ever shine.
I would shiver the whole night through.

My coach, my coach, don't lie to me,
Tell me where did you sleep last night.

In the pines, in the pines,
Where the sun don't ever shine.
I would shiver the whole night through.

My coach, my coach, where will you go?
I'm going where the cold wind blows.

In the pines...the pines....sun...shine.

I shiver the whole, night through!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 6, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

It's no surprise Poopy wants to defend the guy calling a 22 year old kid who happens to be Maryland's best player a "disgrace of a person" a "selfish jerk" a "below average person" who you "cannot wait for to leave".

My responses from the other blog:

Saying you're going to start a "Greivis is an *ss" chant at a big home game after the kid just got taunted with a lot of racist comments on the road. Seriously?

Still awaiting you to tell us your row Tony and seat number in section 110. I promise I'll be polite when I come by to verify...

"Sorry if I highly doubt there will be any "Greivis is an *ss" chants coming out of section 110 at Comcast on Sunday.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 6, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Garo1, Since you are staying awake at the CC and then coaching the game, won't you be a little to tired to confront the heckler?

Poopy, are you going to read that poem at half-time from center court?

"Pants-on-the-Ground might get a better reception. I think you and Garo1 ought to do it together!

Posted by: petecard | February 6, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could take credit for that poem/song but it's ""Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" ("In The Pines") made mostly famous by Nirvana's Unplugged.

I just made a few minor changes.

But yeah pete, dont u love Garo1's tough guyness? So desperately wanting that guys seat info. Nothing stalkerish about that.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 6, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else find it ironic Poopy is calling someone else a stalker?

Posted by: 4blasphemy | February 6, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck Gary and the terps..Hope Gary is staying away from the GREY GOOSE or is it OLD #7 JACK BLACK....

Till tomorrow.... Snow sucks... is this an omen... biggest storm in 100yrs...

HEADLINES OF THE WASHINGTON POST...TERPS BURY HEELS IN SNOW (:......

Posted by: carolina1 | February 6, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

im with you barno1, judging from Tony the Heckler's comments, I really doubt he is a Maryland ticket holder either, Poopy The Clown you must be a pretty gullible clown to think that guy is a real Md fan.

McClown, when was the last time you attended a Maryland game? Nobody chants any racist anti-Maryland chants in our building you fool. And I'd confront them if they did, along with about 20,000 others.

Me and my two sons will be there tomorrow provided we can get my car out of the driveway, and I'd be really surprised if Mr. "I'm a huge MD Fan" Tony the Heckler shows up starting anti-Vasquez chants. That guy is no Maryland fan, that's probaly some Dukie or FSU fan who hates vasquez.

Terps 88 UNC 85

We must protect this house!

Posted by: jas00 | February 6, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

jas, Amen.

Obviously I was not trying to "intimidate" anyone with asking for a seat number...was simply calling out someone on their bs. Tony the anti-MD heckler doesn't exist at comcast center, so "demanding" (asking) to know where he sat was simply an easy way to prove he was full of it. Nothing to do with imtimidating, nothing to do with being an internet tough guy, just another really sad and lame attempt by my psycho internet stalker poopy mcpoop to try to twist my comments for the millionth time...

Posted by: Barno1 | February 6, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Why would there be any discussion on whether to play the game? Both teams are in town, the refs are here, and that is all you need to play the game.

If you have a ticket and also a wimp then too bad.

Posted by: MKadyman | February 6, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

McPoopy thinks racist comments directed at Vasquez are ok. Well, only because barno1 said they weren't ok.

Jas00, you must be new. Poopy determines what position he will take on an issue by waiting for barno1 to comment and then he takes the opposite of whatever Barno1 says. So if Barno1 defends Gary, Poopy makes fun of Gary. If Barno1 says the sky is blue, Poopy says it's red and calls barno1 names. This has been going on for a while. It's annoying to everyone but Poopy. I just want to read comments about the Terps on here, is that too much to ask?

Oh and Jas00 I don't think it will be that close. More like 74-62. We are too experienced to keep a hungry team like UNC in the game. We push the tempo early and often tomorrow and never let up. Hope those who can't make it to the game are giving their tickets to those that can.

Posted by: mikegt67 | February 6, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I say we win HUGE tomorrow. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 87-43.

Terps dominate!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 6, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

let's go M-A-R-Y-L-A-N-D! 5-2 is an awesome start. Keep it up!

Posted by: terpcentral1 | February 6, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

This could be memorable if they let a lot of extra students in.

Found this link on the Sun's blog comments and have to admit it's pretty humorous if you keep refreshing/reloading the page.

fireroywilliams.com/