Maryland defense forces serious N.C. State drought

N.C. State put on a forgettable performance on offense during the second half of Wednesday night's game. During one stretch, the Wolfpack went scoreless for more than six minutes. N.C. State scored just twice from the field in the final 10 minutes of play. It shot 23.3 percent from the field and committed seven turnovers after the intermission.

And it all started with the pressure defense Maryland began to employ early in the second half. Apparently, the Terrapins aren't the first N.C. State opponent to figure out that a little defensive pressure can go a long ways against the Wolfpack.

"For whatever reason, coming out in the second half we turned the ball over in one of our first three possessions the last six, seven games," N.C. State Coach Sidney Lowe said. "We just showed a lack of mental toughness and didn't stick to the game plan."

No argument there.

After tallying seven points off of six Maryland turnovers and 10 fast-break points in the first half, N.C. State scored zero points off of one Maryland turnover and two fast-break points after the break. The Wolfpack stopped being able to take advantage of Maryland's mistakes -- in large part because the Terrapins made far fewer mistakes in the second half -- and consequently, could not dictate the pace as they did in the first 20 minutes.

"You have to space out and get proper angles on two-on-one breaks, and we didn't do that," Lowe said. "We were unable to finish."

The Terrapins, on the other hand, were able to finish, thanks in large part to a noticable shift in defensive attitude.

"It's about winning, right?" senior guard Greivis Vasquez said. "You want to win. You got to change your attitude if you want to win. If you don't want to win, you don't change no attitude."

By Steve Yanda  |  February 18, 2010; 2:32 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Once up to speed, Maryland flourished in second half against Wolfpack
Next: Scouting Georgia Tech

Comments

"No, my issue with Barno is the dripping sanctimony with which he confronts those who lack his passion and conviction. Rather than debate on the merits of an argument, he casts doubt about the loyalty of others, thus positioning his own loyalty as superior and, therefore, Barno, himself, as superior to the rest of us. The way he writes, it's not about him being right and you being wrong, it's all about him being better than you because his affection is so much more meaningful. It's not okay for Barno to be a sanctimonious jerk."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

“McPoop, you are the Belichick of this Board and running up the score on poor Barno1..” Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 5:59 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

“Wow Poopy is brutalizing Barno so much I am actually starting to feel sorry for him.” Posted by: chrislarry | October 20, 2009 6:34 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

“Oh! I see what you're doing there, Poopster, you're relentlessly cutting and pasting Barno's comments the same way he used to relentlessly cut and paste Jason La Canfora's blog posts, to hilarious effect! Giving him a taste of his own medicine, as it were.
I heartily approve.” Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 20, 2009 5:35 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

“Barno1 better change his RI ID because Poopy nailed him to the wall.” Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 20, 2009 5:31 PM

“Mr McPoop, Bring it... Deconstructing Barno.” Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 20, 2009 5:41 PM

“poopy mcpoop..you make-a me mcpoopy my pants, u funny....” Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 5:46 PM

“I *heart* Poopy_McPoop” Posted by: 4-12 | October 20, 2009 5:52 PM

Poopy_McPoop- Barno's gonna be mad at you when he see all this. haha!” Posted by: rachel216 | October 20, 2009 6:20 PM

“McP - just excellent. The astounding thing is so many of these declarations and recriminations and pontifications were made within the last month to the point where I'd think you were making them up . . . even if some of them were Barno has made enough of a arse of himself that they are pretty spot on.” Posted by: sfskin | October 20, 2009 7:46 PM

“Well, Pooper, you've done it: I have swung all the way over to Barno outrage fatigue, a place I never thought I'd reach. Kudos. For a few recent weeks I sniped away at Barno like a terrier at his heels up here and on the Bog. I posted some snarky garbage in response to almost everything he posted. I couldn't even put my finger on what set me off, and when he asked me to stop, I apologized and stopped. What I didn't realize at the time but am almost sure of now is that I was subconsciously seeking revenge for his relentless and absurd campaign against Jason La Canfora. But I couldn't accomplish over a few weeks what you've accomplished in one brilliant afternoon, exposing this creep of a bully of a troll for what he is. The saddest part is, I wish everything Barno predicted had come true. I wish I'd been wrong and he'd been right about the Skins this season. But the way he made those predictions, the way he pontificated up here, the way he talked down to just about everyone in this conversation, just killed me. That's probably what set me off like Dr. Bruce Banner. What I'm sayin' is, I love you, Poop.” Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 20, 2009 8:10 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

“As I've said, the problem with Barno isn't that he's a shameless homer. There's actually nothing at all wrong with that. The problem with Barno is that he would question the loyalty of anyone who disagreed with him, as if he were the sole arbiter of what it meant to be a real fan. He embarked on a completely ludicrous vendetta against Jason La Canfora and, more recently, Jason Reid. In what he has written up here and elsewhere on teh WashPo, one can only conclude that Barno is a disturbed and paranoid individual who believes all those that disagree with him are somehow, in some way against him. Those of us who have been subjected to Barno's delirious ranting and bullying since the beginning of this blog relish the comeuppance that Poopy is serving. At some point it will get old, sure. But let us not ever forget what a complete jerk Barno is. And let us thank Poopy for multi-tasking and proving it without a shadow of a doubt. It's not my blog, and it's certainly not my place to say who can and cannot post. But I sincerely hope Barno does not come back. This blog is a lot more civilized and interesting without him.”
Posted by: PDiddy | October 20, 2009 8:45 PM

“Poopy, Those Barno-isms are phenomenal.”
Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | October 20, 2009 9:36 PM

“You're a mercenary Poop! Funny stuff man.”
Posted by: k_square | October 20, 2009 7:17 PM

“Poopy, you deserve a medal for your efforts on this. If I was your boss, I'd give you a raise and a well-deserved vacation to Hawaii.”
Posted by: PDiddy | October 20, 2009 7:54 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Look how talented my computer skillz are, I can cut and paste!

How about this: I think Poopy and Barno should get together in person, have an old school shoot out (ten paces, turn, fire), and the winner posts it on YouTube for all to enjoy.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 18, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

how bout a drinking competition? see who can drink who under the table. and record that for youtube, to see just how interesting the conversation gets after each drink is consumed?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

McP.....

Your nurse called. She says to get back on the meds.

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | February 18, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

the thing of it is, i AM on my meds. Maybe it's time for the nurse to double-up my meds.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

No! It can't be! There's, there's just no way. Holy moses, is it even possible? My, my, could it be? Could Poopy_McPoop have really gone this far off the reservation that he would actually create 8, no 10, hell maybe even more than a dozen fake names on this site to try to "get" Barno?

I commented the other day the suspicious similarities in the epdaly/McPoop comments on the Post's site, with one always following the other in the comments sections and EpDaly always agreeing with Poopy or giving him props. Poopy went on and on about how that wasn't the case. I ignored it, as did everyone else. Now this.

Get some help Poopy.

Posted by: krtops9 | February 18, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

What prompted Poopy to come up with all these comments here? Oh yea, he asked Barno1 to copy/paste all his old Vasquez quotes. Barno1 complied. Then looney Poopy goes nuts.

If ever the words "you asked for it" were appropriate. Barno1, what you have to say about this latest round from our resident rodent?

Posted by: krtops9 | February 18, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't care less. But this might be the saddest display yet Poop. If ever there were any doubt you create other names to help "create the illusion" you've got others on your side...well, let those doubts cease to exist.

Why don't you go back to posting racist comments all over the Redskins Insider under the name OG_Barno like you used to do.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 18, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: krtops9 | February 18, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

krtops9,
You nailed it. I told him I wasn't going to post his Vasquez comments, but he said he wanted me to so I do. Then he lost it.

Like I said, engaging with Poopy = bad idea

Posted by: Barno1 | February 18, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

For the criticisms of Poopy bringing up the socal weather, blame me. It was a discussion that happened durig on of the all too brief eras of good feelings on this board.

Disagree that criticizing Vasquez automatically makes anyone a racist. Some of the NC State fans were clearly racist - surprised there were no latinos in their own crowd to let them know they had crossed the line. I think in GV, a lot of us saw a ton of potential (which he has lived up to, certainly with the growth he has shown this season) but lets face it, he had a habit of running his mouth more than he should have. Moreover, since he was our primary ball handler and scorer, mistakes he makes in the waning seconds of losses are going to be magnified. and he made a few mistakes. Does anyone remember Duane Simpkins? Lotta mistakes in crunch time especially once Joe Smith departed. GV has changed, matured, and lets face it, delivered a CONSISTENT high level of play that he had not done in his prior seasons. Part of that is being a senior. I disagree that the Duke game was an disappearance for GV. He made some mistakes, but the team was a step slow. His point tally was more than respectable, but face it, there were other underperformances by the team. My opinion has changed towards him. Pete, Poopy's and others are allowed to change theirs as well.

A get together at Bentley's would be welcome. Hope that if invited, I can make it.

Now in terms of Poopy vs. Barno, I am so certain that the would get along if they met face to face. It might dilute the humor value of this board with the quick trigger bashing that happens when those two get started as they might actually be civil with one another. To be perfectly honest, despite the most set of recent exchanges, there actually have been moments of civility and the finding of common ground. You guys had me watching Simpsons episodes on Hulu yesterday.

btw - jack Russells are great dogs. Those guys can jump through the roof when they are youngsters. I myself have owned Shih Tzus and they are wonderful companions. My last one was named Buck.

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 18, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I guess that's supposed to make this guy feel better about himself, but really no relevance to this board or the blog post whatsoever.

Posted by: JoeMama11 | February 18, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Fellas -

I really have to ask...how do you guys do it. The cutting and pasting from old posts. to you keep them in a word file for easy retrieval?

barno - I have seen you whip out quotes from last year mere moments in response to someone else's remarks.

Poopy - are today's from the Greatest Hits Compilation or something.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 18, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey - I thought this was a Maryland story/blog - - oh wait, it is.

Good comebeack last night - way to get the W. Go terps!!

Posted by: kevinb2000 | February 18, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Guys I have to come clean. I just can't bear to keep this burden tucked inside me any longer.

I've lost count of how many "handles" I've created and used on here. It's so many and it's so trying because everytime I do create a new handle, I have to go and create a new email account at hotmail or yahoo just so I can register my new handle here at The Post. Than to keep posting under all my different aliases I have to keep clearing out the cookies from my browser or else it'll just leave me logged in as just one handle. If it's not you making your post, than you can count that it's me with my hundreds of handles. I actually had to make a cheat-sheet/list of all my handles and passwords so I wouldn't forget.

I do use this blog to make me feel better about myself. Sadly, I'm very overweight, and live in a fantasy world where I do have a girlfriend, friends, and a life. Unfortunately that fantasy world is largely on the interweb and on World of Warcraft.

Heck I don't even live in my moms basement, I'm still living in my same bedroom that I was in during my high school years. It's still got all my old Metallica/Nirvana/Alice In Chains posters up on the wall. My black-light magic marker doodling's are still up on the ceiling. Lord knows how many times I go through my old high school year books and look at all the old photos of myself and just wonder "What could've been....What could've been....."

I really just want everyone to like me. I have deep-seated issues with that because I've never had a friend, or even a girlfriend. I try to go out and meet new people but it's so hard because my body odor usually immediately turns people off. I don't understand it because I shower a few times a week.

Whew, feels like the weight of the world has been lifted off of my shoulders now and I feel so much better.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Hugh, yes JRT's are awesome. Our 14 year old still thinks and acts like he's 3/4 years old and has quite the Napoleon complex (probably not all that different from some on here).

Also Hugh, you may like to know that the local weathermen out here are actually predicting temperatures to dip back into normal "winter" temps, that is temps with highs in the 60's.

Enjoy the snow.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh c'mon barno. all the copy/pasting is all in good fun.

Seriously barno, what's your all-time favorite Simpson's character? Just curious.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to add an addendum to my earlier manifesto and say that I never went to UMD. Heck I didn't even go to college or graduate from high school. I did get a GED though. All that stuff about Susquehanna Building, Wicomico, South Campus Dining Hall, OutKast on The Mall, etc. I just made up from reading various newspaper clippings and using google maps.

I just wanted a place where I felt that I belonged and had others that I could converse with.

Of course that doesn't explain why just today in the mail I got a "Exclusive savings opportunity on GEICO auto insurance for University of Maryland Alumni!" letter. Someone obviously must've hacked into the UMD database and put my name in it, in some sort of ruse, just to rub it in my face that I didn't attend MD.

Also, watch out petecard, I mean myself, I mean pete, I mean myself. The majority of the bloggers on here think we're the same. Wait, that's cause we are. Oh we aren't? That's right.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Who knows, maybe I'm like Guy Pearce in Memento and I just have horrible short-term memory and can't remember who I am or how many handles I've created. I just live day-by-day, oblivious to who I really am.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Y'know, the defense in the first half was not altogether bad. The rebounding was, but its not like NC State had wide-open looks. The clampdown for the final 12 minutes or so (starting right before AB's first three) was phenomenal. A lot of forced errors by NC State by our guys. I know most folks on the board like SM for his defense, but AB & CT play some tough D as well.

My Shih Tzu was my favorite dog - best personality although he was by far the smallest one I've had. Named after Buck Williams who was in the finals with Portland at the time we got him. Apu is my favorite Simpsons character. Love the Quickee Mart. In terms of Poopy's contrition, I don't think there is a thing in it that your detractors haven't accused you of already. That ones a wifer (meaning I'll have to show my wife).

I attempted to create a new handle for WaPo in the interest of being more PC - but it was not worth the effort. So I'm sticking with HGR.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 18, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, we had a companion Shih Tzu named Al who died shortly after we got the two of them. Yes, after Albert King. My wife wanted to name them Jesse and Jerome for those of you who were alive and dancing in the 1980s.

Again, no detective work. The names from the RI are regulars there - many of whom love a great message board flaming war.

back to D. In GW's world, playing tough D in practice is the quickest way to earn game time (at least from articles I've read). back during the FF and NC seasons he benched Wilcox behind Holden a few times because he was not practicing hard enough (and lets face it, he tended to show up and play big only in the big games). Now Tahj Holden is easily one of the most underrated Terps of all time. He was a good soldier and took the benchings like a man and was quoted many times about how talented Wilcox was. Solid 4, smart player, relentless defense and could (oddly) hit the 3. And against Kansas....

So looking at JP, (and to a lesser extent Burney and Goins) - do they see the floor if they step up their defensive intensity in practice? With the players we have, we may not need them to score. With Michigan State and the endless number of huge bodies Izzo seems to recruit, those guys can all defend and rebound. Or is too late in the season to integrate them (beyond JP a bit more) into the playing rotation?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 18, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, (and even Barno or anyone else) did you go to that 7/11 in PG County that "converted" to a Kwik-E-Mart around the time The Simpson's Movie came out? It was kinda neat and cheesy but also kinda weird because it was in the middle of PG County. Doesn't exactly seem like the best place for Simpson's stuff.

And Hugh, glad you liked my manifesto although the only inkling of truth in it was the part about black-light marker doodling's on my bedroom ceiling when I was in HS. Heck I can't even take credit for the "manifesto" since that term is just fresh in my mind from hearing it used in the movie Hackers last night.

And Hugh, my fav Simpson's character is Hans Moleman. Gotta love the Mole. Oh and our JRT's name is Hooligan and he lives up to that name and more.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 18, 2010 7:25 PM

Same here, after The Post made the initial switch, and made people use the name they registered with instead of just putting your name in above your comment, Goff almost scolded me on his blog for using that name. It was than that I thought about registering a new, more friendly name so as to no offend Goff. But it seemed like it'd be too much work and I just told Goff that if he doesn't like my name he can take it up with his bosses, since they were the ones who implemented the new policy. He hasn't minded my name/contributions to his blog since.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Petecard is the Joe Biden of Terps Insider. Everytime he opens his mouth he says something stupid.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 18, 2010 1:27 PM
-----------

At least, I'm assuming, petecard, and the current VP (again, someone I didn't vote for) have never shot anyone in the face, like your boy Cheney did.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, try to keep it to hoops til Monday. let's just see if you can do it.

Hugh (and anyone else), Bentleys before the Duke game March 3rd. Evidently were all drinking on the Barno tab.

Russtinator, waiting on your preview. I need to know the plan to handle the 2 GT bigs.

Final thought for the night, let's stop worrying about developing guys off the bench. We are 3/4 of the way through the season; the rotation is set. If we get desperate or foul trouble JP will get minutes, otherwise what we are seeing is the plan for the rest of the year.

In Gary I trust!

Posted by: jpfterps | February 18, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Hows this one to throw the whole blog into a tailspin... This is Barno1 on fushezzi's computer (he left me with it for the night since mine's broken)

Anyhow, as for Hans Moleman...he's the only character in tv history, as far as I know, who can crash his car without hitting anything. The car will spin out of control and then stop just short of hitting a tree, then blow out. Amazing.

I was saying Booo-urns.

Regards,

-B1

Posted by: fushezzi | February 18, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

jfp, I believe I said a beer and a shot on me. Though if we beat duke and end up at bentleys afterwards, anything could happen.

Posted by: fushezzi | February 18, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

gotta ask - Does Route 1 still erupt into riots and such after Duke games? Should I bring the basement couch (we want to get rid of it) to donate so that the kids don't have to burn one of their own?

Russ - was wondering about your preview as well. Saw the article which talked about their bigs getting into early foul trouble spelling doom for Ga Tech. Have not seen the jackets play this year. I'm thinking home game, another 20 point win. Levent plays garbage time.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 18, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Got to admit the Biden comparison really got to me. I loathe that guy. Guess I really have to work on my image if that's how I am perceived. Poopy may want to reconsider his suggestion that we are one in the same.

The only thing I know is the Garo1 is GW. Because that kind of worship can only be self-worship.

By the way guys, how is pitchers and catchers working out for your teams in the MD/DC area? After March Madness, we in NY get a long mid-summer's night dream... right through the start of college basketball. And it is and "Elite" experience!

If Simpsons and JRT's are inbounds on this site than I guess so are the Yanks..... :)

Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

A rumor is circulating NY that the Knicks have made a major deal with the Nets to help land LeBron. They are giving Tracy McGrady to the Nets in exchange for the Nets first round draft choice in the upcoming draft, which is likely to be the overall #1 pick. While the Knicks are forfeiting millions in cap space, their strategy is to go after Greivis Vasquez, which they say will assure them of being able to land LeBron.

Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

That might have been the dumbest joke ever told. Petecard, just stick to your usual routine of predicting doom and gloom for the Terps while bashing our legendary head coach and All ACC point guard...you're much better at that.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 19, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

My humor is not intended for you Garo. Nothing I do is predicated on what you think.

Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

pete that joke sucked. enjoy being an arrogant yankee fan and purchasing players. now your demands for an "elite" team make a lot more sense. you want big stein to come down and buy players. If purchasing players is your thing, maybe you should strap onto the calipari bandwagon. he's got a few good years at kentucky until the ncaa runs him off and he pops up somewhere else.

i bet youre even an a-rod fan. and to think, at times i even stuck up for you.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 19, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Calipari is the all-time NCAA leader in Final 4 banners removed from the rafters - 2 (UMASS and Memphis) could Kentucky be the next one? Count on it.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 19, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Calipari's Final 4 Banners are like the New England Patriots super bowl trophies.....insignficant b/c they cheated to get them.

This is Bill Belichick, coach of the New England Patriots. He’s won three Super Bowls. How? He cheated. He even got caught cheating, and nobody cared. Bill Belichick proved that in America it’s okay to cheat, as long as you cheat your way to the top!

- Cartman