Maryland football schedule released

Maryland has just released its 2010 football schedule.

Sept. 6 Navy (M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore)
Sept. 11 Morgan State
Sept. 18 at West Virginia
Sept. 25 Florida International
Oct. 2 Duke
Oct. 16 at Clemson
Oct. 23 at Boston College
Oct. 30 Wake Forest
Nov. 6 at Miami
Nov. 13 at Virginia
Nov. 20 Florida State
Nov. 27 North Carolina State

It's never too early for predictions, so leave yours in the comments.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  February 4, 2010; 2:40 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terrence Ross likely headed to Arizona prep school
Next: Maryland prevails at Florida State with 71-67 victory

Comments

Nov. 6 should be an interesting game.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 4, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Don't expect to read about it in the Terrapins Insider, but the football schedule is finally out.

Posted by: mcmelton | February 4, 2010 2:25 PM
========================

Come again?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 4, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Disappointing. 4 non-conference games and only one is worth a you-know-what (WVU). The Terps football program will never rise to Elite status until they start playing (and winning) some real non-ACC teams. Would love to see Morgan State or FIU replaced with a major BCS opponent.

Posted by: imageaid | February 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

If they get bowl eligible, it will be a positive season. My hopes are not high.

Posted by: Chazzsam | February 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Just not stoked about another year with Fridge at the helm.

Posted by: larry31 | February 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: imageaid | February 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse
------------------------

If you're going to mention WVU as worthwhile then you may as well name Navy too. That's two solid out of conference games (wins if you may).

Sept. 6 Navy (M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore) LOSS
Sept. 11 Morgan State WIN
Sept. 18 at West Virginia LOSS
Sept. 25 Florida International WIN
Oct. 2 Duke WIN
Oct. 16 at Clemson WIN
Oct. 23 at Boston College WIN
Oct. 30 Wake Forest WIN
Nov. 6 at Miami LOSS
Nov. 13 at Virginia LOSS
Nov. 20 Florida State WIN
Nov. 27 North Carolina State WIN

8-4 Final Record (please do not take this as my true prediction as I did this in 2 mintues)

Posted by: fushezzi | February 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I can see 5 games that if they are any good they SHOULD win:
Sept. 11 Morgan State
Sept. 25 Florida International
Oct. 2 Duke
Nov. 13 at Virginia
Nov. 27 North Carolina State

If they can beat Navy and win one of @Clemson and @BC they could get to 7 wins.

More than 8-4 seems a bit high, I think at least 5 or 6 wins will probably happen. Then again I never thought they'd lose 10!

Posted by: CharlieF | February 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Please don't make the Duke game the homecoming game.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

The opener against Navy is on Labor Day Monday? That really, really, really, really sucks. Seriously, that sucks.

Who the hell schedules that game on a monday?

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I see us going 12-0, winning the ACC Championship over VT than taking on Boise State for the BCS Title and just clobbering them.

Goooooooooooooooooo Terps!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 4, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, those dumb schedule makers. Stupid people, they need to schedule games around MY schedule.......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CharlieF | February 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

You didn't think they'd lose 10? I was predicting 12-0 until proven otherwise (which unfortunately happened fairly quickly) so please do not ask me for investment advice...ever. 7-5 is my prediction at this point. Assuming others are correct in that the oline and dline will be much improved in terms of depth and experience, then the question of QB play remains. Someone else stated that we have not had a good college QB since McBrien which I agree with. Am not convinced robinson is the answer. A TE emerging as a receiving threat is needed as well. Seriously, I sincerely thought we were going to contend for the ACC title last year. I am tempering all expectations on the coming season. Is there any way they can make the Morgan St game the homecoming game??

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 4, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Phew, JMU is off the schedule.

Posted by: HughGRection | February 4, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

i agree...morgan state and fiu need to come off the schedule and be replaced by real programs...preferrably power conference schools but at least respectable mid major programs (utah, boise, fresno state)...

so depressing to see them on the schedule...gee i dont know why...maybe its because we lose them or barely sqeak by all too often...

nothing to gain (except padding the win column for 7 wins) and everything to lose (respectability)...

Posted by: deadskin | February 4, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I predict 7 losses. I don't think we stand a chance against Florida St.

Posted by: SirPelleas | February 4, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for spring practice to make any predictions.

Posted by: petecard | February 4, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

4-8. Bring on Mike Leach

Posted by: epdaly | February 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

It is good to change the order a little bit. I was getting tired of losing to FSU and BC to finish the season. This is the time of the year to be hopeful.

Posted by: garrett4 | February 4, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

You're right, imageaid et al. We need to start scheduling only good non-conference teams. Otherwise, we'll never rise to the level of Alabama (who's plaing powerhouses San Jose St and Duke), Oklahoma (Rice, Florida Atlantic), Virginia Tech (JMU, Central Michigan), or Ohio State (Ohio, Eastern Michigan).

Most schools play 2 "easy" games and 2 tough games in their non-conference schedule. West Virginia and Navy are two pretty tough games against schools that have been very good lately and will again in 2010.

Posted by: ICBomber | February 4, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

If they start the new frosh QB....5 wins. If they start Robinson...4 wins.

The Fridge has to go and bring on the Crazy man Mike Leach!!!!

Posted by: Bigmon411 | February 4, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

They will claw their way to 5W, 7L next year. The years after that things get better.

Posted by: vn11701 | February 4, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong I will be there for the Navy game on Labor Day, I just think scheduling it on a holiday is a recipe for a half empty stadium. But I could be wrong, we shall see.

All I know is last time we played Navy in 05 the tailgate was off the hook. Don't envision that being the case on a Monday, but again I could be wrong (and hope I am).

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

If anyone needs it the game tonight is here:

(just scroll down to the 9pm listings)

It's also on espn360.com if your internet provider carries it.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 4, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

my only complaint about the schedule would be FIU. i like that, except for that brainf*rt, they've keep the non-conference regional and up front. far better to schedule W&M, JMU, Richmond, or Temple in lieu of FIU. if nothing else, it gives MD & Navy a leadership role in growing football regionally

Posted by: mdrockjock | February 4, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Poopy - watching it on atdhe right now. f*ing Grey's Anatomy on the good tv....a battle I did not need to fight.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 4, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I keep getting LSU - Tennessee. Will try another method.

Posted by: HughGRection | February 4, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

ahhh crap - heading to the crappy tv to watch it. Not sure why atdhe didn't work for me...

Posted by: HughGRection | February 4, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Hugh, game must've been blacked out on espn360/atdhe.net feed.

Terps squeak one out down in Fl.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 4, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

A win. Not a pretty win. Need more of the cylinders clicking than we had tonight. Very few bench points, but DG did hit those clutch FTs.

Poopy - it was on local TV - suboptimal sitting situation but it was an enjoyable second half nonetheless. The URL had MD-FL State in it. Thought it was a technical issue on their end - or maybe they made a mistake and were pulling the wrong game. No biggie at all and thanks for the TV view websites - I've used them all successfully.

Great to see the Terps execute down the stretch while the other team was actually playing very well. Nice FT shooting in crunchtime.

Accuse me of low expectations but....Five more ACC wins to go to avoid bubble drama.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 4, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Squeaked one out? If a chirp is less than a squeak, then I would contend they chirped one out. It is weird how little scoring the bench (and Moseley) provided. Good to see them win, on the road (albeit at Fl State which is not on the level of most ACC bball sites), when they did not bring their a-game. And when things got tight at the end (when the noles made their run) GV only had a few boneheaders but DID hit his FTs to ice it.

But yeah, the shimmy is still annoying.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 4, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Ooooooge win. Gary goes to 20-5 vs FSU since 97.

5-2 in the ACC boys and girls. Cannot wait til Sunday. Will we get win over UNC for 4th straight year?

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Amen Barno -

Whats important to me is that GW went 2-0 versus Fl State in 2010. We beat Fl State w/o our A-game this time. Think a little home cooking and our crowd will help get the team playing at a high level again. And we will inflict further misery upon the Tar Heels in this season of discontent for them.

Why do announcers always talk about what a good player JW will be SOMEDAY in the ACC? I contend that his body of work thus far qualifies (in 7 games) qualifies him as good player in the ACC. Just saying.

Certainly the best freshman big we have had since Joe Smith, likely even Brian Williams (ACC Rookie of the year but so was Joe if I recall correctly).

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 4, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Big win. They need 3-4 ACC wins on the road to be a lock for the Big Dance (assuming they go 7-1 at home.)

So, with 2 road wins and NC State, suckass VT, and UVA as very winnable games on the road that could give the Terps the 3-4 wins. Beautiful.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 5, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

A couple of comments about the football schedule:
1. It's definitely more regional based. Navy-Morgan St-WVU. But what's up with Fla Int'l? If we're going to keep it local, why not Towson? They're Div. 1. Or how about giving other "locals" a try, like Bowie St. or Frostburg. Does Mont-Rockville still have a team?

2. Never thought I'd hear myself say this in my entire lifetime: I'm glad we're not playing Middle Tennessee anymore! The way Maryland plays them, you'd think they were wearing orange and playing in Knoxville instead of Murfreesboro.

3. Unfortunately, I could see another possible 2-10 season. I will probably get clobbered by a lot of posters here, but I'm pretty pessimistic about this team right now. Outside of Morgan and FIU, there are no gimmes here. Even teams like Duke and UVA came out stronger against the Terps last year. Road wins--not going to happen. Unless I see something amazing happen against Navy (who will undoubtedly be the favorite), it's going to be another looooong season.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | February 5, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Nov. 6 at Miami LOSS
Nov. 13 at Virginia WIN
Nov. 20 Florida State LOSS
Nov. 27 North Carolina State WIN

9-3

Posted by: aviscardo | February 5, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

wow aviscardo, 9-3 is aggressive. carbombs at bentleys on me if we beat the wolfpack for that 9th win.

i say we shoot for 7-5 but think 6-6 is realistic. If we can win at Clemson or BC would be huge. We will definitely lose to Navy.

Sept. 6 Navy Loss
Sept. 11 Morgan State WIN
Sept. 18 at West Virginia Loss
Sept. 25 Florida International WIN
Oct. 2 Duke WIN
Oct. 16 at Clemson LOSS
Oct. 23 at Boston College Loss
Oct. 30 Wake Forest WIN
Nov. 6 at Miami LOSS
Nov. 13 at Virginia WIN
Nov. 20 Florida State LOSS
Nov. 27 North Carolina State WIN

Posted by: jpfterps | February 5, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Jfpterps,

You have us beating 4 ACC teams but losing to Navy? Not sure I understand the logic.

-Barno

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

From looking at the schedule....5-7 is the best this program will do. Keep Bronco Mendenhall on speed dial to bring him in as the next UMD coach (I am not sold on James Franklin at all)

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | February 5, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

JP,
I'm gonna hold you to those carbombs if we go 9-3.

Posted by: aviscardo | February 11, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse