Maryland prevails at Florida State with 71-67 victory

The wins over Boston College, N.C. State and Miami were nice and all, but Maryland's four-point victory Thursday at Florida State would seem to be one worth savoring. The Terrapins started out slowly on offense and they struggled to slow down Florida State point guard Derwin Kitchen all night, but they seemed to operate in the second half with a confident patience previously unseen this season.

Maryland appeared to understand that it could out-execute Florida State so long as it didn't take the Seminoles bait and take part in an up-tempo affair. The Seminoles had no choice but to try to speed things up; Maryland, on the other hand, was perfectly content to slow things down and carry out the plays that were called.

Senior guard Greivis Vasquez tallied a team-high 23 points, and freshman forward Jordan Williams turned in another solid performance on both ends of the court to lead the Terrapins.

"We run a lot of timing plays that maybe a lot of teams don’t do now," Coach Gary Williams said. "Maybe we have to work a little harder at running our offense and we were willing to do that in the second half. Hopefully that really helps us for the rest of the way, because if we get the win we can point to that, that we did pick it up in terms of our execution in the second half. We got the win out of it by doing it that way."

Three Up:

1) Patience. The first half offensive stats weren't quite Clemson-game-bad, but they weren't pretty, either. Maryland shot 38.7 percent from the field, missed all six of its three-point attempts and recorded seven turnovers. There was no rhythm to the Terrapins' offense, and they trailed by only four at halftime because Florida State was equally inefficient on offense. The difference was that in the second half Maryland made the necessary adjustments, and Florida State did not. The Terrapins shot 46.7 percent from the field and tallied just four turnovers after the break. More importantly, they remained confident enough in their half-court sets that they did not feel the need to push the pace, as Florida State tried desperately to get them to do.

2) Composure. There were some nasty, vile comments directed at Greivis Vasquez tonight. That's nothing new for him, but even so, it hadn't been this bad since the game at N.C. State last season. The Florida State student section (and yes, I'm unfairly grouping all the students in that section together) acted like a bunch of unintelligent, immature children. They were the most classless bunch I've yet experienced at a road ACC venue. And yet, Vasquez remained unaffected. Sure, he shimmied with a little extra vigor after some shots, but he never became out of control. He did not let his emotions consume him. That, folks, is called improvement. Vasquez shot 6 for 6 from the charity stripe. And in fact, Maryland shot 80.0 percent (16 for 20) from the free throw line on the night, which served the Terrapins well, especially down the stretch.

3) Jordan Williams. This guy is playing well beyond his years right now. He finished with 14 points and six rebounds, and that was great. But more critical was his defense on 7-foot-1 center Solomon Alabi, who shot 4 for 15 from the field on the night. Alabi tallied 12 points and 10 rebounds, yet he did so without ever becoming a significant factor in the game.

Three Down:

1) Three-point shooting. Maryland may not be a top-tier perimeter shooting team in the ACC, but the Terrapins possess enough players deft enough at shooting from beyond the arc to count on a decent showing from game to game. Against Florida State, which owns statistically the worst perimeter defense in the conference, Maryland shot 3 for 14 from three-point range. Vasquez shot 1 for 5 from long range; Eric Hayes shot 2 for 6.

2) Staying in front of Derwin Kitchen. This continues a familiar defensive theme for the Terrapins, and that is that they struggle to defend small, quick guards. Kitchen is just that, and he torched the Maryland defense for 29 points on 12 of 16 shooting. He drove into the lane repeatedly and rarely was stopped. On the bright side for the Terrapins, Kitchen was the only Seminole who found consistent success against the Maryland defense all night. And in the end, that wasn't enough.

3) Sean Mosley. A quiet night for the sophomore guard. Given the game's outcome, it likely won't be dwelled upon too much. He shot 0 for 4 from the field and finished with one point. He recorded four rebounds, three assists and a pair of steals, so it's not as though he was a complete ghost. Still, the Terrapins likely will need him to add a little more in terms of point production going forward.

By Steve Yanda  |  February 5, 2010; 12:32 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland football schedule released
Next: Greivis Vasquez ignores jeers, allows performance to do talking

Comments

We won the turnover battle and the rebounding offensive +2, defensive -1) battle. Those factors win more games than they lose.

Williams is playing out of his dome and, really excluding tonight but not really too much so, Mosley doesn't play (or come off as) a sophomore.

5-2 in the ACC ain't not too darn shabby.

Enjoy the snow DC-Metro-folk. Just watch out for Jack Frost, the Mutant Killer Snowman.

He'll getcha and make no bones about it.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 5, 2010 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Agree that composure helped win this game. The Terps did an excellent job of controlling the tempo. Agree also that about the 3-point shooting. If we are going to get better against some of the better teams in the conference, then we are going to have to hit from beyond the arc, which is something we seem to only do at Comcast Center.

The local Richmond station showed the other Raycom game which was Va Tech vs. UNC, so I was forced to watch Maryland-FSU on ESPN360. (UGH) Still, I got to scout the tar Heels at the same time. Even though we probably are favored against them Sunday, we need to be careful; they still could kill you from 3-point range. Just because they're down doesn't mean they can't win.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | February 5, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

@Steve Yanda - Remove the "small" from the "can't guard small quick guards". Height has nothing to do with it, it's just that they are vastly quicker than we are.

Not good for a team that has 97 different guards (and starts 3) can't shoot 3's well. My fear is this ends up being what shoots us in the foot going forward. Either we don't get a necessary ACC regular seasons win (I'm looking at you UVA), or we clunk in the ACCT due to a lack of 3's.

Great win last night, I was screaming at the TV the entire second half.

FSU fans maybe the least classy in the ACC? MD has its moments, but nothing like last night.

Posted by: ckstevenson | February 5, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Poop,

I agree. The boring stuff wins games. Less turnovers and more rebounds means more possessions, which puts less pressure on the offense to make shots. Only four turnover in the second half...impressive against a good defensive team.

Also impressive, they won a road game when an opposing player goes off on 12 of 16 shooting for 29 points.

Late in the game it was tight, but it just seemed like MD would win. Fl St had no offensive rhythm and no deliberate execution of their offense. MD just seemd more composed. I have seen too many Duke-MD games in the past to not recognize this situation, except MD was the less composed team. NIce to see Vazquez execute the offense so well and not get too excited.

Posted by: larry31 | February 5, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Poop,

Posted by: larry31 | February 5, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

MD fans are quite capable of classlessness ourselves - I was disgusted by the behavior of the student section a few years ago (was that you guys - Poopy. Barno, jfp, Fushezzi, aviscardo??) but it does seem that the behavior issues have calmed down while still providing a hostile road environment for the opposition. Yeah the kettle is black but c'mon most of the taunts were so off base that I am sure GV was laughing. He is Venezualan - not Mexican, not Puerto Rican. Its the same way we'd feel if we were in Beelgium and some idiot was yelling taunts about Canada or England at us. Perhaps at Duke they might do some research to find out the proper ways to insult Venezualans (I know the women are insulted when called Colombian or even worse, Argentine). Then again I happily spent 6 hours on a layover in the Caracas Airport and would do so again. The women folk are unbelievable in that part of the world.

I was not as high on the victory last night - more of a "phew" victory - as I am today. Both teams played poorly offensively or more likely very well defensively. GV threw up one poor shot in the waning minutes but otherwise, stayed patient and let the FTs sink the Noles. JW has long arrived, and we'll find out shortly if Moseley is suffering a hiccup or going Terence Morris on us. whatwasupwith CT & AB. Their shot selections were terrible.

So New York Pete(card) - Don't care don't care don't care - 5 ACC wins to go to avoid the bubble. Everything else is moving up the seed chart. Beat the Tar Heels.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 5, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

larry nailed it sucinctly on the composure observation. A clear change from past teams in close games. They are playing like seniors.

I am waiting (not to stir up more crap because by rights, this should be a day of good feelings on the board) for the next time a couple of y'all go off on one another, to see who was burying JW back in the summer and after last year. The only impression I had of him was the broken backboard. He is one smart player, beyond athletic. Was checking out his leaping after the credit card comment yesterday and he seems to be fine (although I am no expert). Am even more impressed with him than I was last week. Liked GW's attempt to get JP involved, but he chickened out and I think pulling JP was the right thing to do in the situation.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 5, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Curious - what were they saying about Vazquez? I don't know if anything is worse than when UVa kids mocked Juan Dixon and his parents dying of heroin-related AIDs. I didn't think anything could be less classy than that.

Posted by: CharlieF | February 5, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

There were signs saying to deport Vasquez, which I didn't think was that bad, but I didn't hear anything being yelled.

Good victory. I'm with HGR in that I feel more relieved than anything else, but a road win is a road win. This team, in theory, could easily be undefeated in the ACC so it's nice to see them pull out a close game on the road and turn that corner, even if our offense was pretty bad. And I disagree with most who say Vasquez played under control. I guess the last 2-3 minutes he played smartly, but I remember more than just a couple wild, quick, unnecessary shots by GV throughout the game. Gminski even commented, in the first half I think, about having to live with GV sometimes taking bad shots. True enough. But you can see why he will be drafted: if he can eliminate the bonehead plays, the guy can be a solid player in the pros IMO, and he can take MD far in the tourney IF he can play smart for 40 minutes in consecutive games.

Jordan Williams is impressive. The kid can play. So much for his stats being overblown since he came from a "weak" league in Conn. The guy is a beast, plain and simple.

Milbourne looked very good last night, especially his defense. I can't remember how many times I saw Alabi get blocked thinking it was JW, but in fact it was LM. Great job defensively by the boys.

I do think it is somewhat concerning that our offense is drastically worse on the road, especially our 3 point shooting, but as Poopy mentioned, 5-2 in the ACC is not bad at all. Assuming we play Sunday, that's a big game for both teams. Hopefully we come out gunning and take it to UNC early and often. GO TERPS!!!!!!

Posted by: CYork1 | February 5, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

As far as JW goes, I continue to be impressed with him defensively most of all. He has been putting up stats similar to the last two games throughout the season when he has gotten minutes, but the main knock on him early in the season is that he wasn't smart enough to defend other big men in the post. I remember him being particularly dominated inside during that rough stretch against Cincy, Wisconsin, and Villanova. The way he has shut down bigger, more experienced centers the past two games is huge for us, and is probably the biggest difference between last year's team and this year's. As much as I love Dave Neal and the savvy he brought to the team, I don't think he was physically capable of being as dominant inside as JW has been recently.

Posted by: stjerome03 | February 5, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

We got the win we needed last night, that is what good teams do. The game was way too close down the stretch, some inept offense for three series blew a 7 point cushion, but still a succesful road trip.

Why can't we focus more of the offense on JW? Let's get him the ball on the block and let him go 1-on-1 with the defender. the kid is proving himself every game.

HGR, I was in the student section at Cole when things would really get wild. I was at the game when Boozer's mom got nailed, though my favorite memory was Mike Dunleavy Sr. walking down the steps to sit behind the Duke bench. The entire student section, if not the whole gym, chanted "AS**OLE" as he descended the steps. The chant was in perfect unison and he was visibly perturbed.

CharlieF, Duke students also chanted "Crackhead Parents" at Juan while he was shooting free throws at Cameron. Bunch of nerd scumbags.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 5, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, and I was disappointed in the student behavior at the time. Remember - YOU GUYS WENT TO A SCHOOL WITH COMPETITIVE ADMISSIONS and high avg GPAs and SATs. I went to a school with all my HS burn-out friends where half the freshmen class disappeared and you would see friends on campus as a senior and greet each other with a surprised "You're still here??"

But to be fair, back in the day, a lot of folks by definition would NOT go to the games so they could drink (or burn) and watch. We had hip flasks. I remember after Coach K yelled at the Duke fans for misbehavior (throwing condoms at Herman Veal, I think he actually condoned the harassment of UNC) they switched their chants from "bulls***, bullsh**" to "We Beg To Differ, We Beg to Differ."

That said, the Nole students were unexpectedly loud - maybe b/c the FB team has hit duldrums. I heard a "mow my lawn" or two. My buddy (an Argentine) was texting me from the game letting me know that the 3-digit SAT crowd that attends FL State was chanting "Deportation," "INS," "culero" (which applies to all spanish speakers) and a few (obviously from the FSU honors program) were singing the theme from "Chico and the Man." Again does not apply to a Venezualan so I'm certain GV was trying to stifle a laugh.

My buddy did point out that perhaps it was a function of FSU fouling GV BEFORE he had a chance to throw up a crappy shot, but it did seem that he and Hayes dictated the last 50 seconds of the game, once DG drew the charge. AND THEY HIT THEIR FTs when it really counted.

Yeah, I used to catch a lot of flack about the couch burnings, the Boozer Mom incident and a lot of the derelict events that were happening on campus during the early 2000s. As I said, I watched the NC from Bentleys and will give my take on the Official Post NC game riot at some later point.

Regards-

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

MD fans classy . . who in thier right mind would call us classy? As much as I love MD, our cheers are not the most original. Yelling "F*ck You JJ," throwing water bottles and tossing batteries rolled up in newpapers is not necessarily classy. Fun as hell, but not classy. Rioting after games, burning couches, and pulling down telphone wires . . again fun, but not classy. We really have no right saying another school is classless.

Let's be honest, Vasquez has brought that on himself with his past trangressions and now must live with it. If he was on another team in the conference and came to Comcast and shimmied, we would have a field day with him. He defintiely has learned to compose himself more but he will always be the bullseye for the opposing teams. Then again, he thrives off tough atmospehres and enjoys the attention. It all breaks down to how he focuses his energy.

I've read that UNC is flying in today ahead of the storm. That's great cause the game is the highlight of the weekend for me. Yes, I will admit, I am looking forward to being there over watching the Super Bowl on Sunday night. I hope all you other guys can dig yoruselves out and make Comcast a rocking atmosphere. UNC cannot be looked over just because they are having an off year. Let's pack the house and thrown snowballs at those damn Tarheels. Now that is classy!!

Posted by: terptilldeath | February 5, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"Let's be honest, Vasquez has brought that on himself with his past trangressions and now must live with it. If he was on another team in the conference and came to Comcast and shimmied, we would have a field day with him."

---

I disagree, nobody brings THAT upon himself. This isn't 1940s baseball being integrated here. And I would hope that if a latino player comes to Comcast he won't get racist epithets thrown at him.

Posted by: CharlieF | February 5, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

A very encouraging win, well earned with a very solid second half.

The shooting is still a concern, but the discipline on offense in the second half is another sign of the focus we have as a team. And , as usual, the defense was reliable even with the heat in the "Kitchen."

As we look ahead, the one thing that concerns me is how we deal with strong perimeter defense, such as Clemson displayed. We are a team that really does need to run our offensive sets, be patient and take care of the ball. So much of this falls on Vasquez. When he doesn't do this (Clemson) we really suffer. When does a decent job we are a different team.

As much as Jordan Williams is showing steady improvement and has become an indispensable part of our success, I like the way he is sort of easing into and expanded role on offense. This is not something that needs to be rushed.

Bet that ride home last night was a really satisfying one for the players and the coaches, especially since they beat the snow!

Posted by: petecard | February 5, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CharlieF | February 5, 2010 10:59 AM
------------------------------------------
Charlie-
Let me explain my previous comments. You are correct in that racial epithets are never appropriate. I was really drawing attention to the fact that Vasquez has had enough "look at me momments" to draw the ire of any opposing teams crowd. I love his passion and energy but as we all know he needs to consistently channel it toward the game at hand, not the crowds that already hate him. And as much as I would like to beleive that today's student section at MD would not make racial remarks at an opposing player, I don't think there are any guarantees.

Posted by: terptilldeath | February 5, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Good to win on the road..thought it was over when leading by 8 with the ball, chance to go up 10/11, Milbourne turns it over, FS scores, Williams collects 3rd foul and has to sit..result, lead cut to 5.
Bowie is lost with or without the ball, Gregory adds no value on either end of the court. Let Padgett play more, at least he's a 80% free throw shooter.

Posted by: BD-EC | February 5, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Great thread today.

-------

what is the best home game you have ever seen live at Cole or Comcast? Am torn between UVA senior night (Earl Badu's moment) during the NC run and Branch 40+ vs. Jordan-Worthy-Perkins-Hale.

pray tell.

Regards -
-hgr

1. Feb. 10, 1990, (Overtime) Maryland 111, Duke 114 Gary's first home game against Duke. Cole was at beyond fever pitch. Completely insane. Tough loss to #4 at the time, but doesn't change the game atmosphere.

2. Jan. 10, 1990, Maryland 98, NC 88
Gary's first home game against NC. The Wizard goes off for 33. (Walt's first huge game as a Terp.)

Posted by: jake177 | February 5, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Just saw BD-EC's comment about Dino.

That charge he took was only the play of the game.

Posted by: jake177 | February 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, this was a much needed road victory against a top-50 RPI team. However, I think the Terps could have played better. Florida State never seemed into the game, and the Terps failed to really take advantage of all of the mistakes the 'Noles were making.

Vasquez played a good game, but he still needs to concentrate on his ball handling and shot selection. I thought for sure that 3-pointer he jacked and missed in the last minute near the end of the shot clock would be the beinning of the end, but Dino's defense on the last primary possession helped to seal the deal.

Landon played a strong game, but he started really slow. If he was hitting his shot from the start, this game would not have been close.

Once again, Mosley did all of the little things, inclduing those offensive rebounds in the last 2 minutes. His importance did not show up on the stat sheet, but he played a really strong game.

Jordan is turning into a very capable post player, and hopefully teams will start keying on him, which will loosen the defense on the rest of the players.

The bench was pretty non-existant. Once again Tucker got some minutes in the first half, but Gary got away from him in the second. Cliff made a couple of poor decisions on defense (went for a steal that resulted in Jordan's 4th foul), which probably limited his playing time. Bowie played some good defense, but this game for him will always be remembered for that embarrassing blocked dunk.

Overall a great effort from the starters, but this game should not have been this close. Hopefully the guys will take a look at the tape and see all of the room there is for improvement, and they can put a beating on UNC on Sunday.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Massive road win for the Terps. Great composure by GV and I know I keep saying this but Jordan Williams gets better and better each game.

On other note is that it is kind of shocking to see them execute their half court offense so much better than their transition game. Half court offensive execution has been a weakness of the Terps since Steve Blake left.

Posted by: lavar609 | February 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

As far as the best home game I've been to, it's got to be the OT game against UNC last year that put us back in the NCAA tourney discussion. Given how poorly we had played leading up to that game, I was hopeful but not expecting much. Tucker was especially crucial in that game--one of the rare games where I have seen him shoot the ball with authority--and Greivis played the game of his life. That comeback from 9 down with about 2 minutes left and the mania of the crowd going into OT made that win particularly satisfying and probably the sports highlight of my life (closely followed by the O's game agains the Yankees that featured an SC highlight of a Bobby Abreu homer showing me spilling my beer behind the kid that caught the ball).

Posted by: stjerome03 | February 5, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

jake177: was in the band for both of those games. The Duke game was the first time I saw Cole get unhinged the entire time I was at MD. I was a frosh in '86, the fall after Len Bias died. So I had to observe the Bob Wade era most of my time there (thank God it was short-lived) and saw GW's first season. Most memorable moment in any of the games I went to. Even though we eventually lost to Duke (because all our players kept fouling out) it was still a great game.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | February 5, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terptilldeath | February 5, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Terptilldeath, spot on comments. I am definitely looking forward to the UNC game more than the super bowl. 2 feet of snow isn't going to stop this fan from being there. I just hope they don't postpone it to Monday (they postponed the blizzard game of '03 by a day, and still it was mostly just students).

Also agree with you regarding the racial comments. We are no better than most schools in that regard, but still nothing will ever compare to the things UVA and Duke fans hurled towards Juan Dixon.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Great to win on the road! Agree with the fact that Tucker & Bowie gave us nothing but I think Gregory played tough D, made his foul shots and the charge was the play of the game. Also agree that Mosley doesn't have to light up the boxscore to have an impact, he does so many little things and like Gregory, Milborn and Williams play very tough.

I have a question. After the charge why did Vasquez shoot the free throws instead of Gregory or am I mistaken.

Big game Sunday, it will be the highlight of the day for me.
Go Terps

Posted by: sjm3091 | February 5, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Dino did not shoot on the charge, because it was a player control foul, so free throws are not awarded. Vasquez was fouled on the inbounds play, thus he was put on the line to stretch it to a 2 possession game.

As far as my favorite home game...It was at Cole against UNC when the Tar Heels came in as the #1 team in the country with Jamison, Carter, and Calabria. The Terps were led be Rodney Elliot, Laron Profit, and Mike Mardesich as they beat the Heels in overtime. I'd never heard Cole louder, aside from the infamous Boozer's mom meets a water bottle incident. It had to be over 90 degrees in the place when overtime started.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 5, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

That was a good win the way we should be playing poise and leadership from the three seniors with a dash of a talented freshman added for some spice. Mosley's regression is troubling though. It's great that he's a stat stuffer, but he should be advancing beyond this at this point. I still think we have a shot at winning the ACC this year. The more I see of conference play the worst it looks. I have yet to see a well played game between two good teams anywhere in the ACC this season.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 5, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Russinator, That was a much better description of that game than I gave. Props. We sat right behind the basket, basically courtside and for some reason those were always the last seats to get filled up in the student section. After the final buzzer, me and my buddies were the first ones on the court since we were so close already and I remember afterwards me and my croat buddy rushing home and watching the late edition of sports center to see us rush the court (some of us--not me--were in the picture on the cover of the WaPo sports page the next day).

What a game. We thought Mardesich was going to be the next Big Country after that game. My how we were wrong.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse