Maryland wins 2OT thriller, 104-100, over Va. Tech

What a day for the Terrapins. It started with a 9 a.m. shootaround and it ended 13 hours later with a double-overtime victory at an arena that had not previously allowed its home squad to lose this season.

Of course, there was plenty of excitement and intrigue stuffed in between -- from a series of water main breaks that delayed the game for three hours to a back-and-forth, rapid-tempo contest that featured a 41-point performance by senior guard Greivis Vasquez.

Maryland won, 104-100, which might be the most important nugget to come out of this crazy day. But the route to victory sure was unusual. Virginia Tech and Maryland partook in the highest-scoring ACC game since Wake Forest and North Carolina played to three overtimes in 2003.

With the win, Maryland is assured no worse than the No. 2 seed in the upcoming ACC tournament.

"Just looking at the stats, it was one of those games where we didn’t do everything right," Maryland Coach Gary Williams said. "We’re a really good situation team, and we weren’t great at the end of regulation. To go through that emotionally, I know how I felt because I take a lot of pride in that, in being able to finish off a game. We made a couple of mistakes there, but we didn’t quit. And we had to battle back a couple other times. And so, to me, that’s a great basketball team. Not how you look or whether it’s pretty; it’s just a great basketball team that won that game."

Three Up:

1) Greivis Vasquez. All the senior guard from Venezuela did was tally 41 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Other than that, he had a pretty quiet night. Vasquez became the first Maryland player to score more than 40 points in a game since Joe Smith in 1995 and the ninth ACC player to score more than 40 points in a road conference game. He also passed Albert King for third place on the Maryland all-time scoring list.

2) Late-game free throws. Maryland made 22 of the 27 free throws it took on the night, which is impressive enough in its own right. But what made the feat more rewarding was how well the Terrapins shot from the charity stripe as the game wore on. Maryland made 11 of 12 free throws in the two overtime periods. Vasquez was 10 for 10 from the foul line on the night. Eric Hayes was 5 for 6. Sean Mosley was 4 for 4.

3) Ball-handling. In a contest that went into double overtime, Maryland recorded only 11 turnovers on the night. Led by Hayes, who tallied 10 assists and just two turnovers, the Terrapins registered 23 assists on 37 made baskets. Sure, it helped that Virginia Tech did not press Maryland all that much, but the ball security the Terrapins displayed in a fast-paced game was note-worthy nonetheless.

Three Down:

1) Broken water pipes. If you ever find yourself driving a catering truck to deliver beer to an alumni function held prior to a college basketball game, please, for goodness sakes, watch out for any and all fire hydrants. One unfortunate soul had such an accident today right outside of Cassell Coliseum around 1 p.m., about three hours before the original tip-off time. And fixing the ensuing water main break proved problematic to say the least. One water main break led to another, which eventually led to a third. In the end, the problem was solved and the game was held ... three hours after it was supposed to begin.

2) Defending Jeff Allen. The Terrapins struggled to contain the Virginia Tech forward for most of the night. The problem began when Maryland could not get Allen -- who is seriously foul prone -- into early foul trouble. In the previous four games, Allen had logged 20 out of a possible 80 minutes combined in the first half. Tonight, he played 14 minutes in the first half and had tallied 10 points and six rebounds by the break. He finished with 25 points and 15 rebounds. By game's end, Landon Milbourne had fouled out, Jordan Williams had four fouls and Sean Mosley was guarding Allen.

3) Landon Milbourne. The senior forward continued his rough stretch Saturday night. He finished with eight points and one rebound in 25 minutes. He fouled out with 2:15 left in the first overtime period. He did shoot 4 for 7 from the field, so that was encouraging, but he struggled defensively and on the boards all night.

By Steve Yanda  |  February 27, 2010; 11:00 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland game to start at 7 p.m.
Next: Maryland-Va. Tech video highlights

Comments

Huge win for Terps! Vazquez was absolutely amazing. I'm exhausted :)

Another big game this Wednesday. Beat Duke!

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | February 27, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow what a game by GV. The ACC is horrid this year so I find it hard to figure out where he ranks among MD greats, but he's certainly climbing higher.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 27, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

VENEZUELA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Joe82 | February 28, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Unreal. I am exhausted after watching this game? FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP44 | February 28, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

I blame myself for the last few games. I was complaining a couple of weeks ago that I was concerned leading into the tournament that we hadn't had any close games (at Fla St being the only exception) and we hadn't had any experience in late-game screnarios. Then the rally against NC St, the Cliff Tucker jumper to beat Ga Tech, the comeback against Clemson and now tonight--whew!!!!

Great to get this win. Very timely showing by GV and EH. At one point in the second half Va Tech was 6-6 from the field, after leading at halftime, and we were either tied or had the lead. Big threes by EH and GV early in the second half got the game within reach and then we really fought the rest of the game.

I thought we gave the game away a few times at the end of regulation, but I was really impressed that we came back to win. I think a lot of teams in the same scenario going into OT on the road would've found a way to give the game away. Great win. Let's beat Duke on Wednesday!!!

Posted by: PeteinAZ | February 28, 2010 2:50 AM | Report abuse

My son suggested that I wait until tomorrow to post a comment because I am perhaps a little lit. But I told him EVERYONE ON THE SITE WOULD BE!

So here is my intitial reaction with a more thoughtful post to come in the AM:

This is the happiest I have been since the NC game. GV is POY in the ACC. This road win is a huge confidence builder. It will help us in Charlottesville.

Duck Fuke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: petecard | February 27, 2010 10:05 PM

That says it all folks. No need to bring up older posts this week - I think its pretty clear where all of us stand right now. Not that GV ever should have HAD to, but he has converted every single one of us over the course of this season. For those of you who have defended GV in the past - you were right. I think the entire board is celebrating....and some day soon (in May or so) every single one of us will be missing the shimmy.

I think its going to be hard for the ACC NOT to give it to GV at this point - regardless of the result against Duke. We have won three increasingly difficult games in a row. We stand 2-0 for the murderous final quarter of the ACC season.

Beat Duke, and not to look ahead, crush the Wahoos. What a game, what a game. Nice to win, lots to work on in practice.

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 28, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

When you miss two foul shots in double OT at home in a MUST WIN game, despite your 27 points, you are no longer considered a candidate for POY. Sorry Delany.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 28, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Vasquez "showed a good a attitude about it"??!?!?!?!? hahahah, im a huge MD supporter and can hardly watch this disgrace of a person play for the Terps. He is constantly talking crap (to home and away fans), and he is average player and below average person. He's a selfish gunner jerk, that Gary has absolutely no control over. I cannot wait for him to leave. Late 2nd round draft pick, wont make and nba roster. Adios Amigo!!!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 11:58 AM

PS...my friends and I cannot wait to go support the Terps at Comcast in the next home game, and heckle the hell out of Vasquez for being such a dork...hopefully he will give us the bird. Classless.

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 12:03 PM

JUAN DIXON IS CLASS!!!!! and GREVIS IS AN @SS!!!!

Im starting this chant in section 110 at home against UNC!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:10 PM

It's not nearly excused by Vasquez being a discredit to UMd, and a perfect example (along with Gilchrist) of why Gary Williams' recruiting ability began and ended with (the sainted) Juan Dixon. Had the Alien Steve Blake played for any other school, I'd have disliked him a lot. Vasquez is too much of a self-absorbed punk to merit even the courtesy of homerism.

Posted by: Landru | February 5, 2010 12:11 PM

If you're going to carry yourself as Vasquez has for almost 4 years, then expect to see signs much worse than this one.

Vasquez has a filthy reputation on his OWN campus. Is it really that surprising that a fan of a rival would call attention to this? C'man Man, the guy has brought nothing but -ve attention to the university - AND NOT BECAUSE HE IS FROM S.A. but because he is classless, self-absorbed ahole.

Posted by: tomfoley1 | February 5, 2010 12:51 PM

vasquez is a bum. nothing racist in that.

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 1:52 PM

******
Sorry, hgr, but these these "converts" aren't allowed on the bandwagon. UMD doesn't need "converted" fans. It needs true fans. The Vasquez haters don't deserve to claim this team as their own. If you hate GV, then you hate this year's version of the Terps because it's HIS TEAM. He's the team leader and lightning rod.

It's a wonder that Gary Williams has remained in College Park for this long, given the fair weather fan base. He could coach anywhere and probably win more elsewhere. If you are a Terps fan, appreciate your Hall of Fame basketball coach and this year's ACC Player of the Year.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | February 28, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Wow. What a game. Even though it was back and forth for much of the second half and the Hokies were shooting the ball well, we seemed to be in control. Both EH and GV showed good patience and composure even after VT hit some big shots and made some crowd-pleasing dunks. I was glad to see EH get those FTs in the 1st OT after he missed a pair when it was close against Clemson. JW seems to have regressed in the FT department. For a while there, his stroke was looking good, but a lot of his shots rimmed out. While the stroke doesn't look awful right now, a lot of his misses sure looked that way, which is why Gary can't trust him on the floor late in games. Maybe I'm being overly critical here, but I think we all know what we did well and are happy with the win. That being said, rebounding remains a big problem. Our half-court D was fairly solid--Delaney had 27 points but we suffocated him for much of the night and kept him off the free throw line until late in the game; however, I am still trying to figure out how we let Delaney go the length of the court with five seconds to go at the end of regulation. Thank God it didn't matter at the end of the day, but it was still a huge defensive lapse, though of course he gave those two points back when he missed those free throws in the second OT.

I'm pumped after this last win. While I love the way we have played this year and that we have won when we were supposed to, I think that this one and the away game against FSU are the only games at this point that stand out as wins that, in many ways, we weren't "supposed" to get. Hoping for a great game against Duke on Wednesday. I'll be cheering from the rafters.

Posted by: stjerome03 | February 28, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and on the GV note, did anyone else catch the frequent "U-S-A" chants? Sounded like there was at least one other but I couldn't quite make it out. I think GV loved the fact that he got booed every time he touched the ball from the start of the game, and those chants probably HELPED him make his FTs.

Posted by: stjerome03 | February 28, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

hgr - correct - Delany missing the 2 HUGE FT's late in OT, no POY after that....GV has proven his worth and he came bac kto solidy his thoughts of going to the NBA, he probably helped his cause to get into 1st round....job well done!

To all, IF Gary Williams hasn't proven his worth or ability to coach 'em up, I don't know who is better...don't say Roy Williams, don't say Coach K, both those coaches year after year havae more talent sitting on their bench than MD has on the floor paying, YET MD plays as a team, wiht heart and year in and year out beats the Dukies and Baby Blue Blah of UNC and THAT is the genious of GW....just think the last 40pt game came from Joe Smith in 1995, a non recurited heavily type player a no name coming out of High School, no McD's All-American after his name, YET at MD he comes out of his shell....Coach Williams, my son is soon to be 14yrs old, he plays on an AAU team in Northeast PA, he can come to MD and play for you ANYDAY!

It is funny, my son now knows what GW brings to the table, seeming UNC at the bottom of the ACC this year and I quote "Dad, doesn UNC have McD's All American's on this year's team too?" I say, yep, they sure do - too funny Roy Williams, you are frustrated becasue this crew of All Americans need a coach to coach 'em up and YOU CAN'T do it.....see, NOW you fully understand why Coach Gary Williams is the FACE of the "Coach Williams" in the ACC - hands down - the Coach of the year and the POY at MD....great job all around!

Posted by: talbottj | February 28, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

ok ok....we better be ranked in the top 25 this week..how high will we make it??

Posted by: scottmando | February 28, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Due to the incremental way the top 25 poll tends to work, I think we end up at 23 or 24, though we perhaps deserve to be around 19 or 20. Of the teams in positions 20-25 on the AP poll, TAM, Texas, and UNI lost this week. I think TAM stays in because they beat Texas, and UNI is probably out as well because they lost to Evansville. Again, due to the pecking order, UTEP, who continues to beat up on soft CUSA competition, probably moves ahead of us.

Bottom five something like the following:

21. Baylor
22. Richmond
23. UTEP
24. UMD
25. TAM

The polling thing is so frustrating, since I think we are probably outplaying many of the teams outside of the top 15. I tend to like ESPN's Power 25 a little bit better, though the fact that we've been ranked there for a little while doesn't get us the media coverage we deserve. I have to keep telling myself that it will all shake out in the tourney...

Posted by: stjerome03 | February 28, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Well, I no longer have to wait to see if we win the ACC or get to the regionals to say that I was wrong about Greivis Vasquez. His performance last night, and for that matter throughout the ACC season, was truly magnificent. He is clearly the POY in the conference, even if they don't give him the vote. GV had matured in a manner that I didn't think he would. This fact crystalized for me a little with his "mop job" versus Clemson, but last night he carved his place in Terrapin history in stone. He handled the crowd so well it was a joy to watch. Another impression, now iron clad reality, is what a bunch of dimwits the VTech students are. The best they could do was to boo him every time he touched the ball... that's the best they could come up with?! Just compare that to the Duke students. What a laugh!

So, let me be perfectly clear: GV has nothing more to prove to me. He can have some bad games in big spots. It doesn't matter. He has proven that he is a leader and a winner. We will miss him next year.

I WAS WRONG!

Posted by: petecard | February 28, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Some observations from last night's game:

Our free throw shooting was probably the difference in the game. GV didn't miss. EH and SM made huge free throws down the stretch.

I just couldn't believe Delany missed those two free throws when it really mattered. A real choke job.

It was not a great night for Jordan Williams. As regulation wound down I found myself thinking about his missed free throws and turnovers and all of the offensive rebounds we were giving up to the Hokies. JW missed 4 of the 5 free throws our entire team missed and he shot horribly from the field. I know he is a freshman and we would be nowhere near where we are without him. He is our future and he has had a wonderful year. But we need him to shoot free throws better and he needs more help inside. Milbourne was certainly part of the problem.

It's easy to give so much credit to GV that one overlooks other great contributions. Eric Hayes and Sean Mosley also came up big last night. Shooting, defending, taking care of the ball... they did it all.

It was all working against us yesterday. Going into a very difficult place to play (VTech had not lost at home this year) against a team that really needed the win. And then the water main fiasco. Boy did that screw up any plan we had for preparing for the game. But this Terrapin team overcame all of the obstacles. They did it with senior leadership and another great job by Gary Williams.

Only one thing left for me to say:

DUCK FUKE!

Posted by: petecard | February 28, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"If there's a better guard out there, I don't know who it is," Williams said of Delaney, the ACC's leading scorer.

GW can't be serious. Is this out of context, Steve? I give Delaney credit for being a top player in the conference and one of the top guards, but no way is he better than GV.

Posted by: petecard | February 28, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

so i guess all the "fire William" fans have moved on to the UNC message board..where is your 3 part series NOW...

Posted by: heathdog1119 | February 28, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Kenbeatrizz -

Actually, good pulls from the 5-Feb-10. I didn't recall them and to be fair, don't recall the posters names as being frequent posters on this board. Petecard has said enough; I myself took back any negativity I felt towards GV only a few short weeks ago. Again, he had took some questionable shots, and his first half shooting was abysmal. But he won the game for us with more than a little help from his friends...again. Special player, and I am of the firm belief he will take us far in the NCAAs. The team made a ton of mistakes, but pulled out the win in an overwhelmingly hostile arena where reliving oneself was ut of the question after the opening tip. How much of a disadvantage is that? At halftime, can you run out in the cold in at best your sweats to use the mens room in the dining hall wading through VT fans the entire way? I feel for VT, this had to be a hard loss to take. The Duke game takes on more significance. A few games ago, Petecard put up a very accurate assessment of how MD stands - we needed to win these last five games and did so - and what it would take for the Duke game to absolutely matter. Beat Duke. And beat the wahoos next weekend.

The funny thing is, Delaney did put up POY numbers...but he choked at the FT line and lets face it, GV delivered a game for the ages.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 28, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

AND YES, I am looking forward to GV passing Bias. I was in school when he was there and have a somewhat different, non-deified opinion of him. Yes he was a great player, and Bias AND Branch led the team to our first ACC title since the 1950s (as someone pointed out to me recently, we had won it once before). I went to that tourney because it was at the old Cap Center (in Landover for some of the younger guys, near the hellhole that my Redskins play in). Now if he comes close to passing Dixon...that would likely mean we are in the FF or better and were in the ACC tourney championship. Would be a bit torn if he passed St. Juan, but if he did, then this would be a great season. So I kinda hope he does.

The nation will be watching on Wednesday. Here is to GV having a great game and the team delivering a memorable win.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 28, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

So I checked the Hokies board to see the dearth of comments and found the video highlights of the game there:

C'mon, you know we want to see them on this board.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 28, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Nevermind. Was a little too quick on that one. Thanks wapo.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 28, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

could somebody pass me the kool-ade? oh that's right, i've been drinking it for years....

time for payback on the dookies now.

Posted by: rm0659 | February 28, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Do they serve Kool-ade with Grey Goose at Bentley's?

Quote of the weekend from Petecard in all caps above. That suffices for me (but i wasn't asking). Let me clear some stuff from the back seat so you can be comfortable on the bandwagon.

So Poopy - are you still sure you want CT to have your baby and not GV? Thanks for the links once again - lost the early part of the game on the TV to some robot kids movie. In case your wondering, the good, rebel robots beat out the mean ruling robots in time for the seconf half.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 28, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

HughG,

Just because I admitted that I was wrong about GV doesn't mean I am drinking the Koolaid. I will still be critical and I continue to want our program to be elite. This has been a very fun season and we all should be enjoying the ride.

It ain't over. We still have a long way to go. But we certainly should be having fun with this!

Posted by: petecard | February 28, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Incredible game, great win. Now we focus on the Dookies, need to contain that neanderthal zoubek.

And Hugh, you have got to get a second tv.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 28, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse