More on the hot start for Vasquez, Terps

With just less than 12 minutes remaining in the first half of Maryland's 19-point victory over Virginia on Monday night, senior guard Greivis Vasquez sank a jumper to put the Terrapins up by seven. At that point, Vasquez had tallied 12 of Maryland's 20 points.

With just less than eight minutes to go before the intermission, Vasquez made another jump shot to put the Terrapins up by 10. At that point, Vasquez had scored 18 of Maryland's 31 points.

By halftime, the Terrapins led by 18. At that point, Vasquez had registered 25 of Maryland's 52 points. He shot 10 of 13 (77 percent) in the first half. As a group, the Terrapins shot 70 percent (21 of 30) before the break.

Maryland followers have seen Vasquez take over portions of games before, but rarely -- if ever -- had they seen him course through an entire half in such a steady, uninhibited flow.

"You try to read that because there's a fine line there of breaking the offense and taking shots, but I thought he got most of his shots in really good rhythm tonight," Coach Gary Williams said. "He was part of the offense. And when he does that he's really effective, because he's such a great passer that it's not like you can just double team him to stop him because he will hit the open man, and he made several great passes tonight. I think that's the key to his game is his ability to read the defense, and then if it's a shot or if it's a pass, he's most of the time likely to make the correct call in that situation."

Afterward, Vasquez acknowledged that he often has to decide whether serve primarily as a facilitator or as a scorer for the Terrapins on a given night. Given the slow start Maryland got off to on Saturday, Vasquez elected to go the scoring route early on against the Cavaliers, and that turned out to be just what Maryland needed.

At different points throughout the game, Virginia tried assigning Jontel Evans, Sammy Zeglinski, Mustapha Farrakhan, Calvin Baker, Jeff Jones and Sylven Landesberg to defend Vasquez. None were successful.

"I'm trying to start out games by getting everybody involved," said Vasquez, the ACC leader in assists per game. "I thought this time I just wanted to be aggressive. I thought I was a little passive against Duke the first couple minutes. I wasn't really trying to take it at them; I was just trying to get everybody involved and then I couldn't get myself going. So I changed little things in my routine today, and then I just went at this guy, Evans. I was trying to out-play him, and things went well for myself."

By Steve Yanda  |  February 16, 2010; 8:05 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vasquez sparks Maryland to 85-66 win over Virginia
Next: Maryland makes effort to feed Jordan Williams in post

Comments

Even though he was primarily a scorer, he wasn't being selfish. 5 assists in a half is no joke. He was finding open guys. He was working to get open. He was setting picks. He was rebounding. It was just an all-around great performance.

Posted by: ICBomber | February 16, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Great coaching job by Gary to get the team fired up and off to a fast start after a brutal loss.

Posted by: garrett4 | February 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

im a huge MD supporter and can hardly watch this disgrace of a person play for the Terps. He is constantly talking crap (to home and away fans), and he is average player and below average person. He's a selfish gunner jerk, that Gary has absolutely no control over. I cannot wait for him to leave. Adios Amigo!!!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 11:58 AM

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is a bum

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez:..."MY PROBLEM IS MENTAL"

No kidding? Sit him the whole game...

Posted by: petecard | December 12, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

As GV plays through this "rut" he might just play us right out of the season...

Posted by: petecard | December 8, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Why are we talking about Vasquez again?

His play has been horrible and he is so self-absorbed it is sickening.

Posted by: petecard | December 3, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Now I know what the apologists are going to say...

It's just one loss. We have some young guys upfront who will get better as the season goes on. Greivis will find his shot. Landon will start rebounding...

Pass the Koolaid.

Posted by: petecard | November 25, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm not even trying to find Petecard comments right now I'm just looking for anti-Vasquez comments to see what people were saying about him not so long ago...but Petey's just been hating GV on this blog more than anyone it's hard to overlook these comments

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

painfully, for the 4th year in a row, Greivis Vasquez is selfishly using UMD for an NBA tryout – according to the scouts, a league he has absolutely no chance to make.

As long as Greivis Vasquez is convinced that he is even 50% as good as he thinks, and remains the self-proclaimed leader of this “team”, they are going nowhere. Why is it that the pro scouts and most fans are the only ones who realize that Vasquez is a mediocre athlete and therefore little potential? It is truly unfathomable that a coach as great as GW has somehow been deceived by this kid for four years now. GW and several announcers always say that he is a good leader and brings a lot of energy! Since when does leadership equate to taking the most shots, making the most turnovers, and talking the most sh*# to the crowd/opposing players? And since when did GW’s teams ever lack energy?

Listen, if Vasquez wasn't the worst defender on the team, we would be willing to cut him some a lot of slack for all of the above. But for the 4th year in a row, Vasquez is not moving his feet on defense and is desperately reaching as opponents cut right by him into the lane.

Get ready for the 4th (but thankfully) final wasted season at the hands of Greivis “look at me” Vasquez.

Posted by: tomfoley1 | November 18, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

reality is that Vazquez is slow, and far inferior to the rest of the guards in the ACC.

Posted by: knjon353 | June 16, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

(On the announcement Greivis was returning to Maryland for his senior year)

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

The Terps play better basketball and are a better team when grevis is not on the floor, I was hoping he would never be able to sabotage the terps again.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | June 15, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. That really SUX. Was really hoping the kid would get some shotty advice from a inexperienced greedy agent looking to get paid. I kinda feel badly for the kid, the only guy who thinks he's got any skillz is Greivis Vasquez. If GW puts him at 2-guard, the team will be just over .500. If he lets him run the PT, well, heres to another year of Turnovers, ball-hogging, unfathomable arrogance, and a sub .500 record.

Posted by: tomfoley1 | June 15, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Garo1, you really are a brutal b*stard. I made a conscious decision to ease up on the criticism and I have done so. We have two losses on the road where Vasquez was probably (certainly) at the heart of the problem. And he has had some games where he has been the key to victory. So let's recap: A terrible start to the season; some good and even very good performances since; Two stinkers (Clemson and Duke) in key games. But Garo1, you are the one that keeps bringing it up. I have been all about the team and very positive about our chances. You really are a slime ball.
But be careful, because right now we are still a bubble team. We still have to fight to get into the tournament. Most of us are focused on staying positive and rooting for the Terps to succeed beyond that. But, Garo, just keep throwing the bombs...it tells us everything we need to know about you.

Posted by: petecard | February 16, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope Vasquez stays in the draft.

Posted by: blinders1 | June 15, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

the real question is why would anyone want Vasquez to come back. he is terrible. big game against carolina. but he disappears way too much and thinks he is better then he is. his assists to to ratio is abysmal. but i will enjoy watching his ego get bruised at any level.

Posted by: funkey | June 3, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | February 16, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Petecard, all I'm doing is quoting you. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing slimey about that my friend.

Yet here you are STILL, amazingly, talking about Vasquez "costing us games" and his "terrible start"...yet he in the top 2-3 in the running for ACC Player of the Year! Your inability to ever admit when you are wrong says volumes about you my friend. I am not "throwing bombs" I am simply quoting your bombs--which you love to throw at our team but hate when they are brought up at the appropriate time.

And look, I've been wrong on here several times--from this year's Terp football team, to the Redskins this past year, to Jason Campbell having pro bowl season, etc--but I have no problem admitting it. You, on the other hand, amazingly still cling to your absurd beliefs that the Maryland basketball program would be better off without Gary Williams and without Greivis Vasquez, despite the mountain of evidence (and mounting) to the contrary.

I've said this to you before and will say it again: admit you were entirely wrong about Gary and about Greivis and I'll never quote your old comments again. Otherwise, quoting your attacks against them is fair game.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Greivis,

I know you read this blog....so take this message to heart...GO PRO!!!!

GET OUT!!!! Many of us are sick of your antics.

See ya!

Posted by: petecard | May 22, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is a hot dog with a big mouth. He won't lead the Terps to anything next year.

Posted by: petecard | April 26, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Cmon barno, no need to revert back to your old copy/paste antics.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

and barno, do you really want someone to start "quoting you. nothing more nothing less" again?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, I haven't re-pasted your anti-Vasquez comments, of which there are several, but if you'd like to go back and find my Vasquez comments from this past year...I'd be happy to show you where those are.

And if you'd like to re-post my predictions for the Redskins, Terps football, etc as you've done in the past...that's fine too (though I doubt anyone really cares since we're in bball season).

And by the way, I think there is a big, big difference between my optimistic predictions for some of the local teams that turned out to be wrong and Petecard's relentless personal attacks on Gary Williams and Greivis. I'm pretty sure most people on here understand the difference, but it's fine that you don't.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Despite Vasquez' return to school, I still don't see him getting drafted in the first round. There are plenty of great college PG's that don't though so it is nothing really to be ashamed of. I see him as a second round draft pick and a bench player in the NBA. Certainly respectable.

Posted by: fushezzi | July 9, 2009 8:06 AM

Watch out fushezzi, a post like that is likely to be used to show just how "anti-Terp" you are.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Also, barno (again not trying to pick fights) but I'd love to see all of my Vasquez quotes.

Also, I find it funny that I get chided for copy/pasting posts over an extended timeframe and yet you did the same thing for over 1 1/2 hours.

Again not trying to start an internet fight but some of the double standards on this blog are funny

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Or Barno (again not trying to pick fights) but it was you, yes you, that said this:

A gag order on Beavis Vasquez is long, long overdue. I love his play (when he is under control) but the crap he does after he makes a shot makes me embarrassed to be a MD fan.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2009 1:41 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Also barno in an attempt to help sway the Insider back towards harmony, in the latest entry I listed my own top-10 SImpsons lists. Let me know whatcha think.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Poopy,

I still get embarrassed sometimes by his shimmies. But hey, if he really does feed off that stuff as Gary has suggested then by all means, shimmy away. But those are painful to watch.

As for Fushezzi's comment about not thinking GV is a 1st rounder and that he'll be mostly on the bench in the NBA isn't anti-Terp in the slightest. Most experts had GV slotted to go in the 2nd round last year (if he had stayed in the draft) and right now he's probably a borderline late 1st round pick/ early 2nd round pick. That late in the draft can be very hard to predict though and really just depends on whether a particular team likes your game.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't going to post these but since you did ask...here goes

---------------------------

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

So now Vasquez can take his fine art of stupid turnovers, unneccessary trash talking and not backing it up, to the NBA.

Good luck pal.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 23, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

With Vasquez back there's no stoping Gary-the-God and the Terps this year.

Terps will win the NCAA Title this upcoming year, right fellow Terp fans?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure all you guys are pitching major wood in your shorts right now but we'll see how you all are feeling come late Feb '10 when .500-Gary and the Terps are struggling to stay a .500 in the ACC.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 15, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is overrated.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 13, 2009 2:20 PM

It just shows the fans are getting fed up with Gary's .500-teams he's been running out there year-in and year-out.

Time for boozehound to step up the recruiting or hit the bricks.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 13, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse