Terps conclude long day with big win

The Maryland men's basketball team began its day Saturday with a shootaround at Cassell Coliseum at 9 a.m. When the Terrapins returned to the arena roughly five hours later, they noticed something different about the setting.

"To be here and then get off the bus and see the river coming down the road right there when we got off the bus, we knew something was up," Coach Gary Williams said. "But the thought didn't go through my mind at that time that they were going to delay the game. I just thought it was a main that was leaking and they could fix it and we'd play."

So the players started filtering out onto the court around 2 p.m. -- about two hours prior to the originally scheduled tip-off of 4 p.m. -- and began taking warm-up shots. Senior guard Greivis Vasquez appeared first, as is his custom, and he was followed by walk-on Ersin Levent and a few others.

Little did they know that about an hour earlier, a catering truck carrying beer to an alumni function at the arena had run into a fire hydrant behind Cassell Coliseum. And that in an attempt to fix that problem, workers created enough back pressure in the piping system that another water main broke. Thus, "the river" to which Williams was referring.

It wasn't until about 2:30 p.m. when an announcement came over the loudspeakers at Cassell Coliseum that the game would be postponed until at least 6:30 p.m. By that time, Vasquez and Levent had been joined out on the court by Sean Mosley, Dino Gregory, Adrian Bowie, Eric Hayes, David Pearman and several members of the Virginia Tech team.

Several players either ignored the announcement or didn't hear it because they kept right on shooting. Finally, the news spread and players began walking off the court to return to the visiting locker room. Before they left, Gregory and Bowie attempted a few half-court shots.

At 2:45 p.m., Maryland packed up its gear and headed into the Virginia Tech football team lounge in the basement of the arena, where they tried to keep themselves pre-occupied by watching TV or playing pool. The Virginia Tech players were sent home. Hokies Coach Seth Greenberg went for a personal workout.

Meantime, Williams and several Maryland assistants watched as the Wake Forest-North Carolina game played out on the video board inside Cassell Coliseum. Wake Forest lost, meaning that with a win over the Hokies, the Terrapins would be assured of no less than the No. 2 seed in the upcoming ACC tournament.

At 4:44 p.m., Vasquez returned to the court and began warming up ... again. Jordan Williams followed shortly thereafter and began taking shots on the opposite end of the court. Virginia Tech guard Malcolm Delaney appeared at 4:47 p.m.

But then the Maryland players cleared the court again after news came that yet another water main had busted. Finally, at 5:25 p.m. it was clear that the game would go on at 7 p.m. and the Terrapins went out onto the court to resume their warmups.

Oh, and then they played at a heart-racing tempo in a game that extended into two overtime periods before Maryland finally prevailed.

"To me, this is one of the best wins ever," said Vasquez, who finished with 41 points. "There’s no excuses for us. We came out here on a mission. We knew that we were going to face a hungry team that is trying to make it to the NCAA tournament, and, you know, they came out hard. They played really hard. But we got the win at the end."

By Steve Yanda  |  February 28, 2010; 1:02 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland-Va. Tech video highlights
Next: Maryland's efficiency improved as game against Va. Tech progressed

Comments

Was this game on TV locally? Did WFAN carry Johnny and Chris? I was at the hospital: what did I miss, except one of the best games of the year? Did Greivis try to hoist up an ill-advised shot like he did against Wake, costing the Terps the game? Wrong time to ask this question, but sometimes he seems to be playing for Gary, and sometimes for everyone in Venezuela who's counting on a big NBA paycheck.

Posted by: flynnie321 | February 28, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

And I know they won, and lift my glass to Grievis, without whom they would not have won. But I think they would have won more if he would pass the ball more to the open man, in the manner of Juan Dixon and Steve Blake.

Posted by: flynnie321 | February 28, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie time to revisit that hospital and go for a lobotomy? FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP44 | February 28, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to write a question or comment that I know is going to sound strange or ignorant. But, did anyone notice, especially in the second half, the way balls were bouncing all over the rims? I don't recall a game where the balls would rattle around that much before they dropped in or flew out.

Posted by: Trippey | February 28, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I noticed the same thing. Greivis especially had a ton of threes that rattled out after looking good at the release. Maybe the rims were tight...

Posted by: stjerome03 | February 28, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

flynnie, I think you've missed a lot of basketball this season. Please allow me to fill you in. Greivis has won the ACC Player of the Week award twice, and probably will win again after the outstanding week he just had. He is finding his open teammates more than ever, has cut back on his turnovers, and is scoring in bunches. Without GV, there is absolutely no way that the Terrapins would have had the excellent season they have had thus far.

Posted by: SmittyATL | February 28, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I KNOW that the Terps owe all their wins to Greivis. I KNOW he won ACC player of the week. Who won MVP of the tournament a few years ago - some guy named Gilchrist? Ended up playing in Israel. I was hoping for some informed comment on whether he's passing a la Dixon and Blake. Could this team beat Duke and win it all like Dixon, Blake, et. al. did? I think so. I think they could be better if Greivis passed more.

Posted by: flynnie321 | February 28, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

There have been plenty of times over the past four seasons that Greivis has deserved criticism for recklessness. My opinion has generally been that the good has outweighed the bad. But, for goodness sake -- how could any Terps fan (or any basketball fan) take shots at him now, after the way he has carried the team this year?!

Posted by: SmittyATL | February 28, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Greivis passes plenty. Look at his assist stats. It's not like he dribbles downcourt and throws up a shot(except maybe two or three times per game). But it's up to the others to get open and do something with the ball when they get it. He does put up some shots he shouldn't, but more often he is taking the initiative because others aren't open or producing.

Posted by: booger1 | February 28, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie who is leading the ACC in assists. Juan was great but check his assists per game vs. GV's? FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP44 | March 1, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie321 | February 28, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie321 | February 28, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie321 | February 28, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Greivis is leading the ACC in assists. In the Gtech game, he recorded 8 assists before he scored his first point.

Please shut up. You're embarrassing yourself.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 1, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Correction. I believe it was the Clemson game he had 8 assists before his first point. What a selfish player

Posted by: Barno1 | March 1, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse