Terps prepare for yet another quick turnaround

Later this afternoon, the Maryland men's basketball team will board a flight at BWI headed for Raleigh, N.C., and if some of the players are struck by a sense of deja vu that will be because the Terrapins went through that same routine four days ago when they traveled to Duke.

The challenge, Coach Gary Williams has said, with playing three games in five days -- especially when two of those games are on the road -- is handling all the travel involved in getting to and from the games.

"I’ve heard people say, 'Well, you play three straight days in the ACC tournament,'" Williams said last Friday. "Yeah, you sit in your hotel and you play three games. This is going to Duke, coming back, playing Virginia, going to N.C. State. That’s what’s tough about this."

After suffering a 21-point defeat at Duke on Saturday, Maryland rebounded with a 19-point win Monday against Virginia at Comcast Center. Today, it's back on the road again for the Terrapins, who are preparing to face an N.C. State squad they defeated at home by 24 points on Jan. 23.

Williams and several players have spoken in recent days about the need to have 24-hour memories, and Williams re-iterated that point Tuesday in a conference call with reporters. Win or lose, the coach said, focus must turn to the next game. It certainly complicates matters, though, when that next game is roughly 48 hours following the conclusion of the previous contest.

"I think it's just because it's different," Williams said Tuesday before revisiting his ACC tournament example. "We've had two flights to North Carolina for these two games. Plus, everybody's got the same deal going (at the ACC tournament). In other words, N.C. State played Saturday. They don't have the same situation we do, so it's different and you have to handle it. We did a good job preparing for last night with one day and we have to do the same thing today. The toughest part of it is I think the mental thing of coming down from the game last night and then having to focus today in practice and then gradually you get yourself up for another 40 minutes of tough basketball. We'll see if we can do it again."

By Steve Yanda  |  February 16, 2010; 2:23 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps prefer 24-hour memory to get through stretch
Next: Catching up with the Wolfpack

Comments

Nice win last night. I liked the way the rebounded (both literally and figuratively) from the Duke debacle. A win at State would at least followed by 2 home games could be a nice recipe for success.

Oh, and, "Just squeeze your rage into a bitter little ball and release it at an appropriate time. Like that day I hit that referee with a whiskey bottle. 'Member that? When daddy hit the referee?"

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Garo1, you really are a brutal b*stard. I made a conscious decision to ease up on the criticism and I have done so. We have two losses on the road where Vasquez was probably (certainly) at the heart of the problem. And he has had some games where he has been the key to victory. So let's recap: A terrible start to the season; some good and even very good performances since; Two stinkers (Clemson and Duke) in key games. But Garo1, you are the one that keeps bringing it up. I have been all about the team and very positive about our chances. You really are a slime ball.
But be careful, because right now we are still a bubble team. We still have to fight to get into the tournament. Most of us are focused on staying positive and rooting for the Terps to succeed beyond that. But, Garo, just keep throwing the bombs...it tells us everything we need to know about you.

Posted by: petecard | February 16, 2010 3:00 PM

Posted by: petecard | February 16, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Why are you quoting yourself and how is this relevant? and who is garo?

Posted by: JoeMama11 | February 16, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

yikes-slimeball? what's this is reference to pete?

Posted by: jpfterps | February 16, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Yea, Pete. Don't mean to pile on, but I haven't seen anything from the last 4 or 5 posts from Barno that was remotely antagonistic.

Posted by: larry31 | February 16, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I think what pete's frustrated with is Barno reverting back to his old copy/paste antics.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

And I have noticed a change in pete's tone recently, being more positive, etc. yet Barno still wants to pull up old posts in some juvenile effort to make pete look like a fool, or moron, or whatever it is that Barno is looking to do.

So, with pete's new found, more positive approach, I can see why he'd be frustrated with someone continuously digging up year old posts in an effort to make him look foolish.

'Cause we know barno hasn't made any foolish posts.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

And of course it seems to be okay for barno to go on and on and on requoting people from a year ago, yet when someone tries to requote barno they are blasted and bashed.

Talk about double standards.

And no, I'm not trying to pick a fight with my stalker buddy, just stating facts. Just go back to the "more on hot start for vasquez/terps" post where it's basically barno just posting old quotes from others over and over and over.

He didn't have to do any of that, he could've been a bigger man and let it slide and let the good harmony that's developed on The Insider for the past couple of weeks continue.

But for whatever reason he didn't and wanted to do this I guess because it makes him look "right" or something.

And this is coming from me, who actually was starting to form a different opinion of barno, especially after his Simpson's revelation last week but than he kinda starts to revert back to his old, "I'm better than you because I never doubted anything"-self.

I mean it'd be easy to dig up his old posts about how Cerrato is a genius GM, how the 'Skins would host playoff games this year, etc. but I thought we had all gotten past that.

Maybe not.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Barno = Worsto

Posted by: epdaly | February 16, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

First off many of the posts aren't a year old, they are from THIS season.

Second off, I'm not trying to make Petecard look like a fool, moron, etc NOR am I trying to point out how I never doubted Greivis (I did not re-post any of my own comments about Vasquez but if anyone else would like to, feel free). I am simply pointing out what some on this blog said about Vasquez this season and during the off season when he had entered his name in the draft.

As I have said before, if Petecard would simply admit that he was wrong to attack Vasquez and Gary, over and over again, then there would be no need to remind him of those attacks when we are currently in 2nd place in the ACC behind the coaching of Gary and the play of Greivis.

By the way, as for Poops, there were several anti-Vasquez comments of yours I came across and did not re-post, hoping to not instigate anything with you. Lot of good that did me.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I see.... after searching back a few entries. It would be nice to have a running comments area of the blog rather than have them attached to each entry, but i'm sure i'm not the first to bring this up.

At any rate, I think barno's point is well taken. If you openly criticize (and continue to criticize even in the complaint above) a certain player and later that same season, the player you criticize has a great if not memorable performance (in which members of the press openly question whether he may break an all-time record for points in a game) then you should be prepared to eat your words. Sure the pasted post tactic is worn out, but in response to an entry addressing said player having a great game, it was pertinent to bring up some of the naysayers comments.

Posted by: JoeMama11 | February 16, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Amen JoeMama. Welcome to the board.

Petecard loves to complain about being antagonized, but we all remember his antagonistic comments calling all us FOGs (fans of gary) and how we're going to the NIT for the 4th time in 5 years and how we're blindly drinking the Koolaid and how this team isn't going to do anything so long as Gary is head coach and Greivis is playing. He loves to dish it out, yet whines like a baby when all someone does is re-post his old comments.

Amusing, to say the least.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I love this board. To be fair, until a few months ago I was not completely sure that petecard was a fan of MD. That was a mistake on my part, and he has explained his expectations for the program ad nauseum as well as his criticisms (some of which are well-founded). There is no doubt he has been extremely concilatory and indeed, celebratory about the programs and indeed GV's recent successes with acute insights. But he is from NY (though he has not told us what part yet) and culturally speaking, NYers are harder on their teams than we are down here. Seriously, NYC sports radio is one unending whine. The day after the yankees parade, I was listening to it on my way back from Boston and folks were complaining that the Yankees may not be well set to repeat. Of course Philly sports radio was even more whiny that day.

he is a fan, as is Poopy. Waiting for Pete to deliver a reminisence of his time at MD as well.

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 16, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Poopy that Barno doesn’t need to bring up old quotes to make petecard look foolish.

Posted by: booger1 | February 16, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Barno, all I was trying to say is that, be the bigger man, there's no need to bring up old posts (and yes some of those were from the summer of '09).

It always seems like this blog is in the "2 steps forward, 1 step back" mode and it's incidents like that which I think contribute to said.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Barno = Worsto

Posted by: epdaly | February 16, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Poopy. Now using multiple names on here to make your point?

I have to share what I just found. Even for an occasional reader of this blog I could see there was something strange about Epdaly's comment out of nowhere following Poopy's most recent attack on barno. So I just googled epdaly and WaPost blogs and just read all his comments (there's only like a dozen of them) and in almost every instance he's either giving Poopy props for something that Poopy just wrote, or he's agreeing with something Poopy just said. Woah, talk about a loser.

Poopy will undoubtedly deny this, so if and when he does, everyone feel free to check it out yourself:

or simply google "site:voices.washingtonpost.com epdaly and washington post"

Let this be the final verdict on whether Poopy McPoop is the world's biggest loser.

Posted by: krtops9 | February 16, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Also, in another effort to bridge the gap in the blog, Barno here's my Simpsons Top-10 (if it's really possible to pick just 10 favs) in no particular order.

1. Bart of Darkness ("Rear Window" parody)
2. Burns, Baby Burns (Dangerfield as Mr. Burns' son)
3. Das Bus ("Lord Of The Flies" parody)
4. El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer) (Homer eats the Merciless Peppers of Quetzlzacatenango, trips out and sees a space coyote, voiced by the man in black, Johnny Cash)
5. Homer vs. The 18th Amendment (Homer is the beer baron in a "dry" Springfield)
6. The Joy Of Sect (Scientology parody)
7. Homerpalooza (Homer takes kids to festival and rocks out with Cypress Hill, et. al.)
8. Two Bad Neighbors (Bush moves across the street from the Simpson's)
9. Lemon Of Troy (Shelbyvillian's steal Springfield's beloved Lemon tree)
10. Deep Space Homer (Homer goes to space, by way of default, the 2 greatest words in the english language)

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I seriously love that you private detectives and wanna-be Magnum PI's really think I have multiple accounts on here. And there no was "attack" on barno today. If that was considered an attack some of you are very thin skinned and probably cry like babies if your pizza order is messed up.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

And if I'm the biggest loser ever, what does it make you, someone who is googling, as you said "the biggest loser ever"?

Yeah, exactly.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

And you don't contribute to that 1 step back Poopy. Nope, not at all.

Ha!

Posted by: krtops9 | February 16, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

or simply google "site:voices.washingtonpost.com epdaly and washington post"

Posted by: krtops9 | February 16, 2010 5:50 PM

What's funny is I just typed that exact thing into google and what came up? 1 entry from Redskins Insider 2 years ago, where the poster said "anyone but fassel. art monk in the hall"

There it is folks, that's conclusive evidence right there. Guess Daly and I are the only Monk fans around. Yep.....

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

What else is funny ktop9034, I just copied/pasted that other google link of yours, the 1st one to pop up had this in it:

"Anyone know if this game is offered online?

Posted by: epdaly | November 13, 2009 7:28 AM"

Yeah, he's totally defending me there, I mean it's so obvious. Oh wait, immediately under that post is this:

"EP -

For all of the bashing Poopy has endired (and dished out) and all of the invitations from board members to leave the board forever, he has provided THIS valuable service which I am thankful for (beyond the laughs he has given us).

These sites are great, and I would have never found them w/o our friend Poopy (underscore). Did not have the patience to wade through old posts so copied them from my browser in another window. All credit should go to Poopy, though. He posted them a few weeks ago.

If they don't work, can someone please post whether we can see this game on-line? Thanks.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 13, 2009 9:35 AM"

Watch out now Hugh, Mr. Detective krtops9 will now accuse you of also being me (or vice versa) since in that post you seem to defend me.

Thanks goodness there are real detectives and policemen out there doing work and not some of these wanna-be Tom Selleck's who can't even use google correctly.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I still love the ep where Apu has octuplets. 20 years without jumping the shark. I guess you guys have the DVDs b/c I can never remember the names of the episodes. given your ages, it must be hard for you to imagine life before the Simpsons. I remember wayy back in the day when fox moved them opposite the Cosby show and forced it to jump the shark. And yeah, I used to watch the Cosby show when I was at MD. Not like Miami Vice, but we used to leave late on Thu nights and stay out pretty late. fridays tended to be tamer than Thursdays for my crowd at the time.

Those Shelbyvillians are always up to no good.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 16, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh here's another nail in my coffin

Hopefully Friedgen will be a distant memory by 2011.

Posted by: epdaly | January 26, 2010 10:28 PM

Yeah, I guess me and petecard are the only ones who think sub.-500 Fridge may need to move on. Yep, sure got me krtops9.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

4-8. Bring on Mike Leach

Posted by: epdaly | February 4, 2010 5:06 PM

Ahh, another one where's it's obvious epdaly is defending me. Yep, so obvious there. We're totally the same person.....

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

way to go, debbie yow. another absurd move in a long line of terrible moves. is it too big of a stretch for maryland to want more out of the program? this guy has done nothing to justify giving him the keys to the program. maybe open up the pocketbook for a bigger player in the coaching market. either way, what's the rush? let franklin interview with every other candidate.

Posted by: epdaly | February 6, 2009 4:16 PM

Oh no, yet another post where epdaly is defending me. He actually used my name in this post too. Oh, he didn't?

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't think Debbie Yow is the best ever and this proves it....

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

And Hugh, yeah I got all the DVD's to date (along with hours and hours and hours and hours of Simpson's episodes on tape that I haven't converted to DVD yet)

But how I've really come to know episode titles and other nerdish things Simpson's related is from The Simpson's Episode Guide Books which are pretty much my only bathroom reading material.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

So, jrtops9, which of these epdaly posts are inconclusive evidence that link the 2 of us, or where he's defending something I said or quoting something I said or giving me props, etc.?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I found it, the deal breaker. This proves it folks. Here it is, the break in the case.

"http://www.atdhe.net/

Posted by: HughGRection | November 13, 2009 9:35 AM
----------------------------

O kist checked and it looks like the game won't be on either atdhe.net or chanllesurfing.net. It may be on justin.tv but I would guess that won't be known until around tip off time.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 13, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Long live Mr McPoop! thanks for the websites

Posted by: epdaly | November 13, 2009 3:32 PM"

There it is folks. Inconclusive evidence. Epdaly giving me props. Was it for something anti-Gary/Terps/Fridge that I said? No

He's giving me props for linking websites that occasionally show Terps games.

Oh my I'm busted. krtops9 has busted us. Epdaly and I are the same because he's thankful (as are OTHERS) for the websites I posted so some of us can watch the Terps.

Oh my. That's it. totally busted!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

And another one that just totally links the 2 of us. I've so been busted.......

md 17 jmu 10

Posted by: epdaly | September 11, 2009 2:06 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, he predicted the Terps would lose so that must mean he is I and I am him (slim with the tilted brim)

Ugly game. Lots of turnovers. Cal 27 Terps 13.

Posted by: epdaly | September 4, 2009 12:52 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

He totally uses my name in this one too

Ralph should be fired. Every year it's "we're too young", "we have had too many injuries", "we haven't gotten the breaks", etc. Sadly, they won't let him go because of money issues and the program will be driven further into the ground. At least when Ralph goes we have a hot commodity as our coach in waiting. Oh wait...

Posted by: epdaly | November 11, 2009 7:44 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, in the Octuplets episode (titled Eight Misbehavin') I love it when Apu's one child, dressed up as the Baron flys across the stage as "Ride of the Valkyrie" plays than everyone boo's said baby.

Funny stuff.

Oh yeah, back to totally proving that epdaly and I are the same person, since there's already so much evidence out there linking the 2 of us......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Actuslly, I see more of a link between RestonHoops and Petecard.

Posted by: larry31 | February 16, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Poopy_ -

I've been accused of being you in the past - certainly last year when animosity on the board was running high and the Terps post-season was in question. To be fair, one of the accusations was that Poopy, hgr, Petecard and restonhoops were all one and the same. The "epdaly is Poopy" accusation I don't get at all. Why would you (or Pete or reston) hide behind some other screen name when you have no problem saying what you need to say with your own screen name?

In terms of the copy-pasting, it the poster's prerogative to do as they see fit. Don't get into it myself but you are all adults and are welcome to post whatever you want. If folks don't like it they can tune in elsewhere. And if you, Barno, Pete and a few others did not enjoy doing it, well then you wouldn't. Claiming moral highground and such is to be expected from both sides and the arguments to that are some of the most entertaining reading on the internet.

What I don't like is when folks use 'Barno-1' or 'Poopy-1'. The fellas are grown men and can snipe amongst themselves without a slight bastardization of their screen names by a poser.

My favorite all-time post is JFP's story of the goalposts and very rational explanation of couch burning.

But the most useful was the websites you provided that was cut and pasted above. To all board members - cut and paste those into your favorites. Seriously.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 16, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Nice try krtops9. maybe next time you'll be right. From now on just spend your time doing what you like to do, surfing trannies on the interweb.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Larry, are you proud, I used your sub.-500 Fridge line again today?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Hugh those websites are amazing. I originally found them thanks to Goff's Soccer Insider. When I first moved out to Cali I was starved for DCU games and someone over there posted one or 2 of those links and they've been in my "favorites" ever since.

Hugh, got another Wicomico story for ya. Well kinda a story. Anyways, I met my current "old lady" (girlfriend sound so stupid and high school-ish) if you will while we were in Wicomico. She was living on the floor above me and we've been together ever since, over 10 years.

Anyways, she came home on Saturday from being in Nebraska for 2 weeks on school-related matters. Anyways, as part of her way to "remember" being in Nebraska she bought herself a Cornhuskers tshirt. When she pulled that out of her suitcase and showed it to me, I almost made her sleep out on the porch with the dog.

Why? As any 'Cane fan will tell you, any/everything 'Huskers related needs to be burned immediately (same goes for Gators/Seminoles/'Tide/Buckeyes). Needless to say whenever she wears that shirt she'll get tons of flack from me.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I see more of a link between RestonHoops and Petecard.

Posted by: larry31 | February 16, 2010 6:18 PM
-----

Watch out larry, soon enough that'll have krtops9 accusing you and I of being the same person and he'll try to dig up dirt on you via google, which whill than obviously prove that you and I actually aren't the same.

Just beware.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: krtops9 | February 16, 2010 5:50 PM |

I think the verdict is in krtops9. And, unfortunately you're not Gregory Peck.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

C'mon krtops9 show us all these posts where epdaly is giving me mad props and quoting me and defending me.

Tons of these posts have to be there right?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

y'know Larry,

I used to think that they were both haters, but Petecard has given some answers to general board questions I've thrown out there such as favorite home game and such. In terms of being the same person, don't think so. Reston has never responded to a direct question from me and has never id'd when he went to MD or anything about his experiences there - at least since I've been on this board. Pete has been critical of the program and GW...and lets face it, a 2-10 football team and its coach are gonna get criticized. That said, when the bball team has played well, Pete has chimed in with positives as well.

from restonhoops I've only noticed negative comments towards the program and towards barno, fushezzi and others on the board. Then again, someone could cut and paste to prove me wrong. I've not noticed him/her indicating the expectation level they have for the programs or even joining in when we are discussing beloved alumni. Petecard has always been very clear of what he suspects (and to be fair, what we all suspect) our program could be and tends to add his two cents when we start talking Buck Williams and such.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 16, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Poopy -

I have a raggedy old Michigan t-shirt which my wife hates (shes from Ohio but did not go to school there). If I play "Hail to the Victors" on guitar or even hum it, it provokes violence.

She hasn't lived there since the 1980s...

So your partner (wow, how politically correct of me) still wears a Nebraska t-shirt she got in college? Look forward to the day that you use it to wax the car.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 16, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

God this site sucks now. My God.....

Posted by: fushezzi | February 16, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, I should've explained better but she just got this Nebraska tshirt within the past 2 weeks. We both went to/graduated from UMD but she was just in Nebraska these past 2 weeks as part of her vet-school course/training. She also knows that I'm a big 'Canes fan but doesn't really know much about the past history between Miami and Nebraska so when she showed me her new Huskers shirt I had to explain to her their past history and why it is that I'll rag on here from now on every time she wears said.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

and yet here you are posting on this same site which you decry, fushezzi

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Hugh, right now it's 79 degrees and I'm in shorts and a tshirt. Enjoy all that snow.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Poop-Dogg,

I did notice the sub-.500 Fridge reference. I am so proud. I think a tear almost welled up in one of my eyes.

Yea. I am afraid to posted anything to mean-spirited for fear that krtops1 (or anyone else for that matter) will post a link showing a photoshopped image of me on a date with Johnny Weir.

Posted by: larry31 | February 16, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Back to the topic of the day. imho GV is a star and has proven it this year in spades. Yes, our losses this year correspond to sub-par games by him, but even in some of those games his final stat lines are fairly impressive. He will be a tough act to replace. (great, three of my kids are doing the shimmy right now). He has shown improvement during his tenure at MD and is a front tier college player - and a great recruit on GW's part. LM has shown flashes this year, and his disappearances have more or less coincided with GV's subpar games. EH remains steady, although I wonder how many more assists he would have had over his career if he were in a pure PG role a la Blake, Gatlin or even Terrell Stokes. But GV is a star at the college level, moreso because of his play than his persona. JW will likely be a star in the coming years, although come tourney time I think he will be a name that the announcers are well familiar with. We have good, though not great, depth but that could improve with AB snapping out of his funk and JP improving. And Goins is healthy and that ought to count for something in practice at least. I think we would all have been excited with 7-3 in ACC play to this point. However, this team has played games this season at a level which I think most of us agree, if sustained, will take us far into March. Many of us have said how much our expectations have changed because we have seen them play so well at times this season. And that is with Gtown a clear top 10 team in the same region. This MD team is good and will likely be memorable.

Poopy - no wonder you hung out at your dorm so much. When the gf is upstairs there is no need to go prowling and such. Nice to hear you two have lasted so long. Any chance that you get her a ring? Or is that a sore subject? Got married less than two years out of school myself. Four kids, three of which are well-rehearsed in the GV shimmy.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 16, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad I wasn't trapped in the house with this lot for the past week. What a disaster this board is sometimes. HGR is right in that people can post whatever they want but I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it annoying to have to sift through posts to read something relevant. I personally find the copy/pasting overbearing and unnecessary, even if Barno has a point. So petecard talked trash about GW and MD and GV but now the Terps are proving him wrong. Should we put up posters? Put an ad in the paper? Buy ad space on a boxer's back? (does anyone even watch boxing anymore?) He was wrong. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Let's move on. He's finally coming around and has perhaps realized that his earlier comments made him look a bit silly. But you look awfully silly acting in such an immature manner copying and pasting and living in the past. We've all been wrong before. We don't all always admit it.

Anyway, my two cents...GO TERPS!

Posted by: CYork1 | February 16, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

After reading HGR's last post I'm gonna repost my thoughts from an earlier thread:

Gary is getting Padgett some minutes but as others have said, he's nowhere close to where JW or Dino are. Dino looked good last night - of course pretty much everyone looked good except for Mosely and Bowie. I think SM will break out of his slump before the season ends, but I like Tucker coming off the bench for some quick points. I'm not so sure I'd bench SM and move CTuck to starter and lose the bench production. As for AB, he looks completely lost at times when he's on the court, like he has no idea where he's supposed to be. And that's scary considering he sometimes runs the point.

Oh, and Vasquez played one hell of a game. He's matured quite a bit since the beginning of this season. If he continues to progress at this pace, he might have NBA teams looking at him in the first round.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 16, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I realize I just broke my own rule about not reposting. I guess I'm a hypocrite and didn't even know it!

Posted by: CYork1 | February 16, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

CYork1 -

If you really want to experience annoyance, read the RI comments. Unbelievably out of hand. The funny thing is, folks will bash each other on the boards to no end, but I don't think anyone hits the "Report Abuse" link...it would be such pansy thing to do. These guys are far more intelligent in the level of abuse than what I usually see on the RI.

Please accept my apologies for the many posts I have written which have no relation to the topic at hand.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 16, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, just found this from not all that long back:

"Oh how interesting it is that Poopy McPoop has disappeared and all of a sudden there is a new blogger on here with a similarly immature name, HughGRection, who is giving several praises to Poopy. GEE I WONDER WHO THAT COULD BE!

Like I said, never in all my years have come across a bigger LOSER than HugeGidiot/Poopy Mc-Multiple-Identities.

Seriously, get a life you geek!!

Posted by: terpsfan09 | April 8, 2009 5:50 PM"

Wonder whatever happened to terpsfan09 and his own Sherlock Holmes-like detective work.

And Hugh, other than tax benefits, health insurance, etc.-type stuff we (me and my, to quote The Dude, "special lady/lady friend" see no point in marriage. Just our own opinion. It's not like a ring changes anything. Plenty of people with rings are in worse relationships, etc. It's like valentines day. if you need a day to get a gift/card/give kind words to the one you love, well thats kinda sad.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

CY -

You're dead right about AB looking lost at times on the floor. This is a guy who had huge games for us last year. He lost the starting job to Moseley but was still very productive. It would be interesting to see his numbers as a reserve last year vs. this year.

DG did look good, but I think JP has more sheer talent. Then again, court smarts can trump talent (and size) - especially for a guy who is not a main offensive option.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 16, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Hugh-

I can't even stand to try and sift through the RI, too much of a headache. And it's hard enough watching a bad team, much less hearing morons discuss one. Although, I am a 'Skins fan and think and hope that Snyder is finally going to be more hands off with Allen and his long-time crush Shanahan.

Anyway, no need to apologize for posting off-topic comments; I actually enjoy a lot of the other discussions. I'm also a fan of the Simpsons and went to MD and stayed on campus in 2000. I was at the game yesterday. Most of us read this blog because we're Terps fans and went to school there; it's nice to have a board where fellow MD grads can discuss the basketball team and other mutual topics of interest. I just think the childish behavior is pretty over the top and unnecessary.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 16, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Larry is it safe to say you've come around from your earlier stance of:

"Poopy is from Planet Crackpot. He is goofy, irrelevent and unfortunately, not funny. So, he just needs to be ignored.

Posted by: larry31 | June 19, 2009 9:45 AM"

I mean I am still from planet crackpot and all.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 16, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Poopy you blew it; today was one of your worst performances. Who gives a ship.

That said, the dude who googled the other dude to compare his posts to yours is a nerd also. And the fact that I just wrote that sentence means it's time to put the comp down for the night.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 16, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Sadly for Encyclopedia Brown, I'm not McFeces. I'm just a terp grad that has written for 3 reasons: express disapproval with Yow, express disapproval with our lousy football program over the past 7 years, and express disapproval with people that feel the need to qualify everyone's love of the team unless they're an unabashed homer (yes, I've seem the same nonsense on redskins insider too). I don't agree with a lot of what's said but at least people are just giving their opinions. To force people to review their words? Who gives a sht? Who cares what anyone has to say? It's a bunch of opinions. F duke.

Posted by: epdaly | February 17, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Any chance we can get a permanent separate thread for bashing other posters? Would make it a lot less work to find the substantive comments related to the articles at hand.

Posted by: stjerome03 | February 17, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

stjerome -

The bashing of opinions anonymously behind from a keyboard is a time-honored tradition of all of the boards. The WaPo boards have quite a few posters who look forward to delivering their daily beat down. That said, at least with this board its usually limited to a smaller cast of characters almost all of whom are serious Terp fans.

Now to NC State - again a potential trap game. The fact that Wilbon said on his blog that the "Terps should win this one" makes me worry about a letdown. Its been more of a brutal grind than the kids are used to with the travelling and such, but I think the consensus is that MD should prevail in Raliegh. Even I am thinking it is a gimme, which should worry me further. That said, look for a quick start from the Terps and lotsa minutes from the bench. Levent might score again. I think GW has them prepared and that the experience on the team will prevent a letdown. I'm hoping Goins will play a few minutes in garbage time.

Proof positive that epdaly is not Poopy: no way Poopy posts at 5am Pacific time. Can we end the discussion.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 17, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for not posting my retort earlier, but I think the WP has banned me from this site. Even when I am signed-in my comments often get a rejected response advising me to sign-in. So I guess Eric, Steve and Co. are in the same corner with Garo1.

Now I won't go into detail so as not to p*ss everyone off... but here are a few comments:

I will not apologize for any prior comments. Even the criticisms posted earlier in the year were valid. Vasquez had a miserable start to the season. He has had some very good games and the last one was a gem. He has had a couple of stinkers, including Clemson and Duke. Even in those two losses my criticisms were measured. The team rises and falls with him. Often his on and off court demeanor is regrettable. We get the good with the bad and he will never be one of my favorites. Read this: THAT'S MY OPINION, SO DEAL WITH IT GARO!

Now, as for the season, it has been fun and I have been very positive. That doesn't mean I have drunk or will drink the koolaid. Our program has a long, long way to go to be elite. That is no reason not to enjoy the season and root for the team, which I have been doing. It's also no reason not to be critical.

So thanks to you guys, HughG and Poopy and others who realize this.

If Garo1 had rushed at my fraternity he would have gotten the tour of the boiler room with the other nerds and we would have sent him home with a note to his mommy.

Just enjoying the season up in Wetschester County NY, about 10 miles above Yankee Stadium, home of a truly ELITE program....

Posted by: petecard | February 17, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Poopy,

That Simpsons top ten list is sorely lacking. What about

Lisa's Pony
Kamp Krusty
Homer the Heretic
Last Exit to Springfield
Homie the Clown?

Posted by: acebojangles | February 17, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

This is just for Petecard...

I won't even bother mocking you for your continuing to talk about how elite the Yankees are on a Maryland Terps thread...I'll leave that to others.

But I will say this--no one asked you to apologize for your attacks against Vasquez and Gary. Hah, that's pretty hilarious. Who would you be apologizing to anyway? Us? How would that even make any sense?

No, what I and a few others have said is you were relentless in your criticisms of Gary and Greivis and should simply admit you were wrong--which you clearly are incapable of doing--if you want your quotes from earlier this season to cease from being brought up.

But that's not happening because you are incapable of admitting that this team/program would be nowhere without Gary and you for whatever reason are incapable of realizing Vasquez is an elite college bball player (who is in the running for ACC player of the year). You're incapable of admitting this because you still cling to the foolish belief that he is an average player. You back this belief up with comments, just today, like "he had a miserable start to the season" and "He has had a couple of stinkers, including...Duke."

Here's his line from the Duke game:

17 pts, 7 of 12 FGs, 2 of 3 three-pointers, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 turnovers, 1 steal.

Now he must really be an elite player for a game like that to be considered a "stinker". Yes, the Terps as a team stunk down in Durham, but no reasonable observer can fairly blame the loss on Greivis. If the entire team shot the ball and rebounded like he did, we'd have won the game handily.

And here's his stat line on the season:

18.5 PPG, 6.1 assists, 4.8 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 45% FGs, 40% 3-pointers, nearly 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

If Md wins the ACC, he will get some All American consideration. He might regardless, if he keeps those numbers up. And yet you can't even bring yourself to admit you were wrong to say the Terps would be better off without him and Gary this year.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

In case anyone missed it, Mike Wise has a good piece on the Terps in today's paper. A couple relevant comments from the column:

-"Really, after Len Bias, John Lucas and Juan Dixon, how many Maryland players have had the career Vasquez has had in College Park?"

-"I would put him in there with anybody," Gary Williams said. "He's there, in that special class. That's irrefutable."

-"We played eight games without Dino Gregory, and those were three of our losses."

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Just what I would expect out of you, Garo... rely on stats and look with a blind eye at everything.

GV is the straw that stirs this teams drink and even he said he was on the bench in his mind at the beginning of the Duke game. He stats didn't mean squat.

Here is a real winning quote from Garo:

"But that's not happening because you are incapable of admitting that this team/program would be nowhere without Gary and you for whatever reason are incapable of realizing Vasquez is an elite college bball player (who is in the running for ACC player of the year)."

Our program HAS been nowhere for 6 years. That is a fact. Deal with it.

Vasquez may be your idea of an elite college player... not mine. Here is how I put it in my response to Mike Wise's column: "The assessment of Vasquez and comparisons to the all-time Terps is a real stretch. I could go on at lentgh, but basically GV has been the best player on a very mediocre team for four years. Judge by the team results, not his stats, and you see a very different picture."

By the way, Garo, if anyone is wrong about Maryland Basketball, consistently wrong... it's you!

Posted by: petecard | February 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"Our program HAS been nowhere for 6 years. That is a fact."

Petecard, you are the same guy that said dozens of times last season on this very blog that we were going to the NIT for the 4th time in 5 years. On one occasion, you even referred to us going to the NIT the following year (this year) for the 5th time in 6 years. It seems, based on your last post, that you believe that actually happened.

-Well, we will make the tournament this year for the 3rd time in 4 years, and 14th time out of the 17 years.

-Within the last 6 years, we've won the ACC tourney (March 04)

-3 years ago we won 25 games, 5th most in MD basketball history. We went 10-6 in the ACC including 2 wins over Duke and a win vs UNC, and finished the season ranked 17th in the country

-Last year, went to 2nd round of NCAAs despite being picked by some to finish last in the ACC.

-This year, we are currently in serious contention to win the ACC and are 7-3 in the conference.

Man, it must be real fun rooting for a team when you hate their legendary head coach AND their best player and no accomplishment other than winning the national title brings any satisfaction. That sounds like you're getting a lot of enjoyment out of being a Terps fan.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"The assessment of Vasquez and comparisons to the all-time Terps is a real stretch. I could go on at lentgh, but basically GV has been the best player on a very mediocre team for four years."

Posted by: petecard | February 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Gee, I guess Walt Williams isn't one of the all-time Terps either...since he was just "the best player on a very mediocre team for four years".

It seems pretty clear now...you have confused James Gist with Greivis Vasquez. Gist was the only Terp since 92 that played on mediocre teams the majority of his 4 years (3 NITs in 4 years).

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Garo, you wallow in the minutia of the mediocre.

Our record for 6 years in the NCAA Tournament:

Tournaments Made: 3
Sweet 16's: 0
Elite 8's: 0
Final 4's: 0
# of Teams Nationally with a better NCAA record: 42

Rating: MEDIOCRE

Let it go Garo... the koolaid has taken your mind.

Posted by: petecard | February 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

# of teams nationally with a better NCAA record: 42
------------------------

Are you seriously using this absolutely absurd statistic to build your case that Md is mediocre? Wow, just wow. I didn't think it was possible, but you're even dumber than I thought.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse