Terrapins finding considerable success beyond three-point arc

There's a certain in-bounds play that Maryland runs under its opponent's basket that involves senior guard Eric Hayes finding his way to the corner. This play has been particularly successful of late for two reasons: 1) For some unknown reason, Hayes nearly always is wide open, and 2) For a better known reason, Hayes consistently knocks down that shot.

Hayes, the ACC leader in three-point field goal percentage (51.4 percent) in conference play, doesn't have a good reason as to why he routinely finds himself with open looks on that play. But he sure isn't complaining about it, either.

"It’s something that people just fall asleep for some reason, and you know, Greivis (Vasquez) does a great job of seeing me," said Hayes, who made 4 of 5 three-pointers Sunday against North Carolina. "We just make a little eye contact and know it’s open. I don’t know how long it’s going to take people to pick up on it, but it’s something that’s working for us right now."

Shooting three-pointers, in general, is working for the Terrapins right now. Maryland ranks No. 1 in three-point field goal percentage in conference play by a significant margin. The Terrapins are shooting 45.5 percent from beyond the arc. Georgia Tech ranks No. 2, and the Yellow Jackets are hitting 36.6 percent of their three-point shots.

Maryland possesses two of the top three three-point marksmen in the ACC. Hayes, as we already mentioned, ranks first, and Greivis Vasquez ranks third (43.1 percent).

The interesting thing about the Terrapins' success from three-point range is that they are not reliant upon long-range shots in order for their offensive system to be effective. Maryland shot 52.2 percent (12 for 23) from beyond the arc Sunday against North Carolina, but you never got the feeling that the Terrapins would be lost were it not for all those three-pointers they were making. It was merely just another means to swell their lead.

"We don’t go in there saying we’re going to take this many threes or anything like that; it’s just whatever opens up for us," Maryland Coach Gary Williams said. "The ball moved pretty good, and we have good three-point shooters. If you look at the percentages from the three-point line, we’re a pretty good three-point shooting team if we get the looks. Where you get into trouble with that is if you start taking them early in the shot clock. If you take them when you could have gotten an easier shot or if you were pretty well guarded on the three-point line, and I thought we did a good job today of taking them when we were open."

By Steve Yanda  |  February 8, 2010; 12:19 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland defense enables lead surge
Next: Quick substitution does wonders for the Terrapins

Comments

Nice game yesterday.

Bring on Duke. Oh wait, we play UVA next. Duh, even I knew that.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Side note: (I'm know I'm going to catch some heat for this, at least from my stalker, but can't resist) When I started a We Want Duke chant with a minute and a half left, along with about a dozen students, Gary turned around got my attention and lectured me about UVA being our next opponent not duke. Awesome.

Told Fushezzi about this and he showed me the dvr recording of the game, and sure enough, you can see the exchange on tv.

Sorry Gary! You were right, We Want UVA!

Posted by: Barno1 | February 8, 2010 11:12 AM
------------------

Yet again garo1 brings me up without me mentioning him. Funny, yet I'm the "stalker," Super-Fan #1 acts like he's some sort of victim when he's the one that instigates things against myself (or even petecard in previous posts).

Of course only a moron would brag about Gary Williams having to inform Super Fan #1 about who we actually play next on the schedule. That'd be like going to a 'Skins game an chanting "We Want Dallas" with the Giants coming into town to play next.

But I digress. And if anyone wants to say otherwise they can blow it out their rear end.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

You'll notice Poopy that he does the same thing with me. Garo1 is the victim and the stalker. It doesn't matter what I say or how positive I am, he wants to pick a fight. I rarely post a comment about him that isn't a response to one of his attacks.

You know... his main job is to be the thought police... particularly when it has to do with his job security as the Maryland Head Basketball Coach.

Now he's even writing about his conversations with himself during games!

Posted by: petecard | February 8, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

For crying outloud, poopy SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!!! You are easily the most annoying person on the Terrapin Insider.

and Barno1, we DO want duke...i heard that on tv and was loving every minute of it. Good job making it to the game, I would have loved to have been there.

Posted by: michas | February 8, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

You know what else is funny pete? The tons of times when Garo1 says "I normally don't address so-n-so" and than actually talks about that person.

Or time times he just discusses them at random. Yeah talk about never addressing certain people.

Definitely agree about Garo1 always trying to play the "victim" card.

hahahahahha

Go Terps! Beat Duke (but beat UVA first).

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Of course I know we're all waiting with bated breath to find out if Mr. Internet Tough guy tried to stalk and find his nemesis-heckler at the game.

Of course I wonder just what Garo1 would've done had he actually found, and successfully stalked, said heckler? Seriously, what would've Garo1 really have done?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

And Pete, I wouldn't put too much stock into what Garo1 says. He's even admitted he would NOT want Lebron playing on his favorite NBA team.

Yeah...........

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michas | February 8, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, of course we want a piece of duke...we're the 2 best teams in the ACC and they're our biggest rival. That's a no brainer to most...

And yeah I knew we played UVA next, but there were a couple of "we want duke" chants breaking out earlier in the game and figured with about a minute left that was the more appropriate time to start it.

As for my stalker Poopy, right now I only mention you about 1 out of every 100 times you mention me, but that's because you're a crazy internet stalker who is obsessed with me while I don't really care about you. But, hows about we make a deal? I won't ever mention you again nor respond to you by name or by insinuation nor respond to anything you write...if you do the same for me. Deal?

I doubt you'll accept this or abide by it if you do, but figure it was worth a shot offering you a truce because other commenters on here seem to be getting more and more annoyed with your stalking act.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 8, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Poopy-O's Exec needs to get a life.

Maybe if he got himself a girlfriend he would stop stalking Barno.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 8, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Count me among those that are annoyed to scroll down the comments section of Steve Yanda's excellent blog only to find Poopy McPoop making more of his stupid and obsessive comments about Barno. Get a frickin life dude.

Posted by: mikegt67 | February 8, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Some of you people are more blind than an 85 year old behind the wheel. I was only addressing Garo1 because he brought me up first. How hard is that for you country rubes to understand?

He's the one that in the prior thread that mentioned me. Had he not done that I wouldn't have touched on the subject. Some of you all need to stop worshiping false idols.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty funny/sad that poopy/pete is having a conversation with himself. They are clearly the same person. Go away!!!!

You can't be a MD basketball fan and hate Gary. It's laughable that people think the program would be better without HOF GARY.

Posted by: beas13 | February 8, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Pete and I the same person. That's a new one.

Good thing you all aren't detectives or PI's or anything else because no case would ever be solved.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I love the conspiracy theories. Barno is not Gary or Ralph, and I definitely don't think Poopy is Pete.

My take is Poopy likes antagonizing but actually would be fun to hang out with. His tales from Wicomico remind me of some antics I pulled in Easton Hall and the Knox Towers. Pete sounds like a bitter dude. Both of them have said way too much about wanting to get rid of Gary though, and both look pretty foolish right now.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 9, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Poopy,
You wanted to get rid of Gary. You lost all credibility long ago. Anyone with any respect for themselves would just shut the F up at this point and not post anymore.

Posted by: aviscardo | February 9, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Poopy, Garo, Petecard, Barno:

Why not just pool your money, check into a bathhouse for the weekend, and "take your frustrations out" on each other?

On the real: Please SHUT THE F*$# UP, unless you're commenting on something in the article, you effing morons! Stop acting like straight beeyotches, monopolizing this and every other posting board/blog you visit. No one feels like scrolling on and on, 'cause you guys wanna whine and go back and forth like preteen girls.

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled program...

Posted by: ntlekt | February 9, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

oh my god...you all are a bunch of f'ing pansies

you all are internet losers who go home and play stupid computer games all weekend while I'm out banging hot asian chicks and eating general tso's off their bitties - oh yeah, i did that

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 10, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse