Vasquez earns ACC player of week honors

Maryland senior guard Greivis Vasquez was named ACC player of the week, the conference announced Monday. This is the second time this season -- and the sixth time in his career -- that Vasquez has earned such a distinction.

In two games last week, Vasquez averaged 24.5 points, 9.0 assists and 6.0 rebounds. Maryland defeated Florida State on the road Thursday and North Carolina at home Sunday to move to 6-2 in conference play.

Here's a graph from the press release sent out by the ACC:

The Caracas, Venezuela, product led the Terps in points (23), rebounds (7) and assists (7) in a 71-67 road win at Florida State on Thursday. Three days later, Vasquez turned in his 11th career double-double with 26 points and 11 assists in a 92-71 victory over visiting North Carolina. Against the Tar Heels, the 6-6, 200-pound, senior guard was 6-for-11 from 3-point range and had five rebounds and a steal in 35 minutes.

By Steve Yanda  |  February 8, 2010; 2:40 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quick substitution does wonders for the Terrapins
Next: Virginia alters travel plans in light of expected snowstorm

Comments

And don't forget, he had to put up with drunk, college-aged kids yelling just the ABSOLUTE WORST things at him.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

A much deserved honor for the week he just got through. What I was most happy with was the fact that Vasquez (for the most part) let the game come to him. Yeah, he forced some bad shots but they were minimal.

I was hoping this would be the case and he would not come out trying to prove something. He did not hog the ball, had some nice assists, and grabbed a few boards at the same time. Vasquez thrived in yesterday's atmosphere as there were more students than normal so the energy level was astronomical. It looks like he is turning hte corner into becoming a more complete team player. It is vastly evident in his interviews that he deflects praise to teh team. His comments after the FSU game were fine by me because of what he put up with. Let's see what happens the rest of this week. GO TERPS!!

Posted by: terptilldeath | February 8, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hayes is 1st in the conference in 3-pt shooting percentage. Vasquez is 3rd in the conference in 3-pt shooting percentage.

Does anyone else out there in bloggerland find that statistic to be astounding, particularly Vasquez being ranked 3rd? And I'm a Vasquez supporter, not a hater at all. I would have guessed that he ranked middle of the pack, not horrible like last year, but not 3rd in the conference.

By the way, check out the sick basketball shot from one our our lady Terp gymnasts:

Click on the Terps TV video on the rightside of the page.

Posted by: larry31 | February 8, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

larry31, yeah...Reminds me of Blake and Nicholas's senior year...they were both in the top 3 of the ACC most of the year in 3 point %, though Blake had been criticized for his shooting % earlier in his career then seemingly out of nowhere he was a great 3 point shooter his senior year (and continues to be in the NBA).

Posted by: Barno1 | February 8, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

larry -

GV's 3 pt % is beyond unexpected. I think some of his misses are magnified (certainly the ones near the end of the Clemson and WFU games stand out). Nice pull on the gymnastics team (Bonnie Bernstein was a Terp gymnast). And I think because of his outsize personality, he tends to get nitpicked by everyone (me included) when he makes mistakes.

A few of you referred to me as a nice board member on a previous thread. Thanks for that, I do strive for civility on my own part and avoid passing judgement on others. This board is great. I enjoy it as much as any non-sport TV show and the personalities on here is smart, funny, knowledgable and has great taste in college sports.

The above said, I hope I do not get too ugly for the UVA game. I hate UVA. Will explain in more detail prior to the game. Seriously, I do not hate much (certainly not Duke or any of the other ACC schools) but UVA to me produces more deluded and genuinely condescending graduates than any other school whose graduates I have encountered. And the girls there have traditionally been somewhere between ugly and butt-ugly. Will try to keep it clean, but I truly want to see MD humiliate UVA and send them on an ugly tailspin to the NIT. Then beat Duke.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 8, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, in terms of the countdown versus expectation. The countdown is towards clear bubble avoidance. 10 wins = a no drama ticket to dance. My expectation is actually 12-4. When we beat Duke, I'll revise it to 13-3. The reason I am optimistic is b/c GW seems to be coaching at a high level and this team seems to be responding to it like few other teams of his have. The defense has been consistently spectacular since the WFU game. So if the countdown sets Petecard off a bit, its all good, I get where he's coming from. That said, this team is playing like it expects to take the ACC and go deep into the tournament. Like GW says, its not who starts, its who finishes; its not how they are ranked today, it is how they finish out the season. And they get there by focusing on one game at a time.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 8, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is continuing to grow and mature as a player and need I say, person too.

Posted by: OG_Barno | February 8, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Poopy might be the saddest guy on earth.

Posted by: rmarcusmd | February 8, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OG_Barno | February 8, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Poopy might be the saddest guy on earth.

Posted by: rmarcusmd | February 8, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I just laughed out loud when I read this.

Posted by: 2ruffriders | February 8, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

How many ACC player of the weeks is this for Vasquez? He should be getting some all american consideration by now but I haven't seen or heard any talk about it. He's easily a top 2 or 3 player in the ACC. Maybe number one.

We are 6-2 in the ACC and we control our own destiny for the ACC title, and yet we aren't even ranked and are still considered a bubble team. I can't remember a season like this. Just has a really wierd feel too it, like something really special could happen this year or we could just totally blow this and go 2-6 the rest of the way (like the redskins last year).

It really could go either way. Terps could be 12-4/13-3 or 8-8. We've put ourselves in a very good position, now it's time to capitalize on it. It should be a very intriguing and hopefully fun second half of the season!

GO Maryland!

Posted by: 2ruffriders | February 8, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Poopy might be the saddest guy on earth.

Posted by: rmarcusmd | February 8, 2010 8:33 PM
---------

What about that freezer-lady in Georgia?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Does the freezer lady in georgia stalk fellow fans of her favorite team on a blog?

If you answered no to this question, then I would prefer her commenting on this blog over you Poopy.

Poopy, don't go away mad
Poopy just go away
Ohhh Poopy, don't go away mad
Poopy, just go away-ee

Posted by: donut2k | February 9, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Where are all the Greivis bashers to tell us all how much he sucks? I'm sure they'll be here as soon as the team loses a game despite the fact that the guy has a more than reasonable shot at ACC player of the year and the Terps would be nowhere close to the top of the standings without him.

Posted by: elowe2 | February 9, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Gee, there are so many Poopy haters. The self-appointed thought police. No diversity (of opinion) allowed here....Cmon, people lighten up.

As for elowe2's comment about Greivis bashers. Just another guy looking for a fight. GV has offered plenty of ammunition over the years, even recently. You get the good, the bad and the ugly with him. Just because people reserve their negative commentary for appropriate times doesn't mean their criticisms are not valid.

There are plenty of us who are true Maryland fans, who want the program to be better ("elite") and who will speak out when it is pretty clear that things need to improve. But we also root for the team and want every season to be great. There is a chance for that this year and we are riding a positive wave.

So say what you want if that makes you feel better, but realize that real fans have high expectations for Maryland basketball.

Posted by: petecard | February 9, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

This Terps team has been a joy to watch. It's been years since we had both the scoring depth and solid play off the bench. One can sense that this team has the fortitude to carry itself well with both the games coming up and the tournaments.

I love this kid, JW. And big props to GW. He continues to prove he's one of the best in the game at getting the most out of his players. I'm diggin' these Terps!

Posted by: BigDeck | February 9, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | February 9, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

What ammunition has he offered lately? One bad game against Clemson among otherwise brilliant performances all year? The good, the bad, the ugly? I guess one bad game this season = the bad/ugly. Otherwise, he has been sublime.

We have a legit ACC player of the year candidate for the first time since Dixon, yet people still like to nitpick, scrutinize and complain. Please learn to just sit back and enjoy him before he exits as our third all time scorer and second all time assist man. You will enjoy life more if you do.

Posted by: elowe2 | February 9, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, Garo, Petecard, Barno:

Why not just pool your money, check into a bathhouse for the weekend, and "take your frustrations out" on each other?

On the real: Please SHUT THE F*$# UP, unless you're commenting on something in the article, you effing morons! Stop acting like straight beeyotches, monopolizing this and every other posting board/blog you visit. No one feels like scrolling on and on, 'cause you guys wanna whine and go back and forth like preteen girls.

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled program...

Posted by: ntlekt | February 9, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse