Vasquez on midseason Naismith award list

Maryland senior guard Greivis Vasquez was one of 30 players named to the Naismith Trophy midseason list earlier today. The Naismith Trophy is given annually to the men's college basketball player of the year. The winner will be announced at the Final Four in Indianapolis in April.

Vasquez is joined on the midseason list by two other local players: Virginia guard Sylven Landesberg and Georgetown center Greg Monroe. Vasquez is one of six ACC players on the list. Landesberg, Wake Forest forward Al-Farouq Aminu, Clemson forward Trevor Booker, Georgia Tech forward Gani Lawal and Duke guard Jon Scheyer are the others.

By Steve Yanda  |  February 24, 2010; 4:08 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Three things to watch: Turnovers, Milbourne, Booker
Next: Maryland prevails with an 88-79 win over Clemson

Comments

IF only he had gone pro, we'd be so much better right now.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 24, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Ah, never gets old continuously trying to dredge up the past. Never. Especially in an effort to make some look like "better" fans, than others.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 24, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Top ten scoring list. GV is 2 points behind Lucas, and 4 behind Branch.

Rk. Pts. Player (Years)
1. 2,269 Juan Dixon (1999-02)
2. 2,149 Len Bias (1983-86)
3. 2,058 Albert King (1978-81)
4. 2,017 Adrian Branch (1982-85)
5. 2,015 John Lucas (1973-76)
6. 2,013 GREIVIS VASQUEZ (2006-**)
7. 1,858 Lonny Baxter (1999-02)
8. 1,807 Tom McMillen (1972-74)
9. 1,776 Keith Booth (1994-97)
10. 1,743 Johnny Rhodes (1993-96)

The four guys behind GV would be in any ACC school's HOF. Albert, Lucas and McMillen played prior to the three point shot, and the shot clock was implemented during McMillen's and Lucas' college careers.

Looking forward to the game tonight. After my predicition of a blow-out win against GaTech, I'll just say, MD wins it.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 24, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Are you a face-painter?

Posted by: epdaly | February 24, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

One thing to consider when looking at the points Vasquez has scored is that he hasn't had really great teammates around him to help him, thus he has had to take far more shots than normal. This is why I believe his ranking in points does not really indicate his ranking as a player. Realistically speaking, I might put him at around #9 or so for all time best MD players. Joe Smith and Steve Francis were certainly better than he is. Vasquez still is too out of control some times and at times makes stupid decisions with the ball like taking a 3 point shot when he is heavily guarded.

Posted by: Thundershock | February 24, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Mosley bringing the funk tonight. Can't hold that man down.

Posted by: fushezzi | February 24, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

12 mins to go--time for GV to take over.

Posted by: PeteinAZ | February 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

10 mins to go--tie game. We're shooting FT's the rest of the game--winning time!!!

Posted by: PeteinAZ | February 24, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Are all of you guys at the game? Am i chatting w/ myself?

Posted by: PeteinAZ | February 24, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to Pete's live blog--GV hits a 3, defensive stop GV to JW for a layup--here it comes...7 mins to go!!!

Posted by: PeteinAZ | February 24, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Winner Winner!!! Arroz con pollo dinner!!! HGR gets his 10th win. I need 3 more. 166 hours until Duke.

Posted by: PeteinAZ | February 24, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks PeteinAZ. Didn't want to have to say it myself. Great win. Again, not the best performance by the team in terms of rebounding but the game plan worked after the perimeter defense improved. Great job by JW. Still needs to improve his FT%.

Posted by: HughGRection | February 24, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

So I watched the first half on Justin.tv and the comments down the side were suicidal from Terps fans and condescending from Clemson fans until we pulled it to 7. Then the feed froze for me again, and since Idol was over, I got to watch the rest of the game on the good tv. Would love to hear about the comments once the Terps took control. It was every bit as entertaining as the game. Wish the feed of the game had not frozen.

"Vasquez Mops up Clemson" just scrolled across ESPNU. Like we didn't see that one coming.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 24, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

This was GW's game! He really kept that team focused after a very rough first half. Even a nice job to get it back to 9 at the half.

GV didn't have it on the shooting side for much of the game, but he didn't let it ruin his game. Very strong in setting up his teammates and pretty good ball control. Huge play near the end and a big three earlier, but perhaps the highlight was the mop job. That was sweet and who in the world didn't know he wasn't going to let the game slip away after that. He certainly wasn't going to miss a foul shot.

Big props to Mosely, Williams and Hayes and very solid D all around after the bad first half.

Sucking it up and showing that poise after being down by so much midway through the first half... that's a very, very good sign.

VTech is going to be hungry and pissed after their terrible performance in Chestnut Hill tonight.

Our chance to really show what we are made of... just like we did tonight!

Posted by: petecard | February 24, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

How about BC thrashing VT tonight. Sole possession of second place and a chance for tying for first (Duke would win tiebreaker I believe) and an outside chance to win it outright (whose help do we need?). Was a scary first half, and who would have expected Moseley to pull it together to keep us in the game?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 24, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Petecard -

remember those days when certain folks would discuss potential bubble drama. Those days are in the rearview mirror now. Since PeteinAZ said the number, I won't and indeed, I won't bring it up again. Now is the time to play for seeding and clearing the path to the Sweet 16.

I know you'll disagree with this, but I do consider the ACC tournament a big deal. Would love to see the Terps get our third one this year.

But first VT. Now we've got 4 high quality wins with an opportunity to pick up a 5th on on the road in Blacksburg. I agree that they will be p*ssed and determined and looking for their quality win against us. Our guys cannot get caught looking ahead to Duke. And it would be worth burning my basement couch if they beat Duke. And no matter what, we cannot end the season losing to the Wahoos.

A deep run in the dance is what my hope an expectation is. But in the meantime, taking it one game at a time. Beat VT.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 24, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

clemson had not allowed any team to score more than 75 points (BC beat them in January) this season. MD scored 88.

just saying.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 25, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

This kills me:

"Then the feed froze for me again, and since Idol was over, I got to watch the rest of the game on the good tv."

Come on now, you've got to box out for the tv like JW and LM have to box out for rebounds. Married life...

The game in Blacksburg will be a war, that place is a pit and Seth G will have his guys prepared after a bad loss. Win that one, then GV, EH and LM get their shot on senior night--whole world watchin'. After tonight's comeback, I'll put our team against any other in the ACC. Great win, let's go get a few more!!

Posted by: PeteinAZ | February 25, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey hgr -
If the Terps win the ACC tournament it'll be their 4th title, not their third. They won it once in the 1950s, in 1984, and 2004. Here's hoping!

Posted by: terpin | February 25, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Yes PeteinAZ, such is married life with kids. Have to pick and choose my battles. Moving the family away from Seacrest and Cowell is not worth it when I can watch the game on-line. Had not used Justin.tv and really liked the running comments from the viewership feature. And I watched a few of the singers before the game started. Terrible. Absolutely terrible. Blacksburg itself is a hellhole, so I guess the arena is the pit in the hellhole. They need to start boxing out now and take back the rebounding margins. They're winning, and that counts most, but to keep winning they have to play strong in the paint. Clemson had too many 2nd and 3rd chance shots (which they did not convert in the final 12 minutes or so). can't play like that and win in an ACC away game. And one final point - what the hell else is there to do on a weekend in Blacksburg?
The fans are going to be tanked and bouncing off the walls.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 25, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey Terpin,

I did not know the Terps had ever won it beffore 1984. I was in school for the 1984 win, and it was great. Of course that was the year Gtown beat Houston in the NC, so it was kind of a secondary story. Also, the ACC tourney and BE tourney were on at the same time (on network television no less) so we were paying attention to both, with the BE tourney having more national significance.

The 2004 win was an absolute surprise. Not only did Gilchrist and Garrison have three great games but of course it was Grinnon's FTs which sealed it. I guess since MD seems to never win it, we've always shrugged it off as being unimportant if the ticket to the dance is already printed. I think winning it is worth celebrating, and hope to see the Terps win it this year. They certainly have the talent and potential to. That said, really hope to see the go far at the dance.

I guess winning the ACC tournament is equal to making the Elite 8. Something better than the sweet 16, but not as great as a FF.

Regards -

-hgr

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 25, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't see Duke losing two more games so the Terps are playing for the 2 seed in the ACCT. Duke has the tiebreaker barring about 100 games going the right way. I actually prefer the 2 seed to the 1 seed because that means they play Friday evening instead of afternoon and I won't have to take off work. I would love a tie for the regular season title!

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | February 25, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

HughG,

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, but it is hard not be enthusiastic after that performance last night. I agree that the ACC Tournament can be a big deal this year, especially because it can really help our seeding.

Can someone explain the conference tie-breaker to me... I haven't had a chance to look it up.

Posted by: petecard | February 25, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Can we all chip in and buy Hugh a second tv? I got $5 towards it. Come on folks, let's help the guy so he doesn't have to watch it on the computer.

Reason #8,617 not to get married