Why Gary Williams tossed off his jacket

With 5:21 remaining in Saturday's two-point win over Georgia Tech, Yellow Jackets guard Iman Shumpert fired a three-point attempt with his team up by two. At that point, it looked as though Maryland's last bit of momentum was slipping away. Shumpert's shot missed, and a defensive rebound sure would have come in handy.

But instead, Georgia Tech swingman D'Andre Bell grabbed one of the 21 offensive rebounds the Yellow Jackets collected on the afternoon. As Georgia Tech reset its offense, Maryland Coach Gary Williams furiously flung off his suit jacket onto the team's bench. Bell hit a three-pointer a few seconds later to capitalize on the second chance opportunity and put the Yellow Jackets up by five, their largest lead of the day.

Obviously, it all worked out well for the Terrapins in the end, but that sequence caught enough people's attention for Williams to be asked about it in his postgame press conference.

"I just try to stay on every play," Williams said. "The good thing about that -- I don't usually do that. They did an impersonation at Midnight Madness, and every guy there took his jacket off and threw it down. I've done that probably four times in 21 years, okay? I just needed to get that particular play, whatever that was, we didn't do well, either we didn't go for a rebound or we screwed up a play. And by doing that it got me out of my system, and I was okay that last four minutes.

"See, in coaching you know you're doing well when you can see, when you see everything that's going on, offensively and defensively, nothing gets by you. You see it all. And you don't do that all the time. It's just like a player, you're not always in that zone. So sometimes you have to force yourself down the stretch in a close game to find that zone. And after I did that I felt pretty good, so I should have done it with about 39 minutes left in the game."

By Steve Yanda  |  February 21, 2010; 1:33 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Tucker's shot does for him, the Terps going forward
Next: A display of Jordan Williams's 'typical' attitude

Comments

Blather

Posted by: petecard | February 21, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Blather? Nonsense. Coach W was asked a question and he answered it directly, with no dissembling. He's an honest, straightforward man and we're lucky he's stayed with UMd.

Posted by: AncientTerp | February 21, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Typical Petecard. Why do you hate UMD so much?

Posted by: Section505203 | February 21, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Not thinking much of those comments is not hate.

The fact that I thought those comments were rather dumb doesn't mean I hate anyone.

I respect GW's coaching ability greatly. I don't have to think everything he says is from God's lips. See... I didn't drink the koolaid.

Posted by: petecard | February 22, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure that even Montaigne would have been reduced to inarticulateness after that ending to the game. There doesn't seem to be much of a point to noting that GW could have said in two sentences what he says in two paragraphs here.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | February 22, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Gary could win another 5 national championships and Petecard would still attempt to mock what he calls "FOGs" (fans of Gary).

Fans of Gary Williams. On a Maryland Terrapins blog? Imagine that.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 22, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Fans of Gary Williams. On a Maryland Terrapins blog? Imagine that.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 22, 2010 5:08 PM

Garo has really got an imagination. He has GW hypothetically winning another 5 championships! Now that is funny. Because even I would give him tenure for that. It's getting so bad I might be tempted to kiss his ring if we ever make another regional.... well, probably not.

Seriously, does anyone see one more national championship coming after where we have been? Seriously....

Posted by: petecard | February 22, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse