Catching up with Virginia

Remember back at the beginning of February when Virginia was 5-2 in ACC play and the feel-good story of the conference? Yeah, that didn't really hold up so well. The Cavaliers have dropped eight straight games. Some of the contests were close; others not so much.

With one game remaining on its regular season slate -- Saturday's matchup against Maryland -- Virginia can earn no better than the No. 9 seed in next week's ACC tournament. The Cavaliers could be seeded as low as No. 11.

Making matters worse for Virginia is that its best player, sophomore guard Sylven Landesberg, is dealing with a thigh injury that caused him to miss Sunday's game against Duke. Landesberg did play Wednesday night at Boston College, finishing with 13 points on 6 of 15 shooting in 36 minutes. It was clear Landesberg was not at full strength, but he played nonetheless.

As for junior forward Mike Scott, he was removed from the starting lineup Wednesday night after struggling in recent games. He came off the bench to tally 13 points and nine rebounds. According to Scott, the demotion and the improvement in his play was merely a "coincidence".

The Cavaliers offer the ACC's lowest-scoring offense (62.4 points per game in conference play). With the exception of Virginia's 85-66 loss at Maryland on Feb. 15, the Cavaliers mostly have been able to limit the scoring of their opponents (67.1 points per game allowed in ACC play). But Virginia's offense has been so putrid that such defensive effectiveness has gone to waste.

Virginia doesn't turn over the ball that much, but the Cavaliers also don't rebound or make shots much, either.

A Maryland victory on Saturday would be the Terrapins' first win in Charlottesville since 2006.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 5, 2010; 8:03 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 27 arrested after Maryland-Duke game (updated)
Next: Vasquez named one of six Cousy Award finalists

Comments

I would really hate to see the Duke win go to waste by losing to UVA. I hope the players are able to put the Duke win behind them better than the local media.

The students will be on springbreak.
This game will be like the early January game agaisnt BC. The stadium will be dead. MD will have to create their own energy. Given the GV, feeds off of any energy (hostile or positive), I fear that we may be walking into a trap game.

Posted by: larry31 | March 5, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Three straight losses in Charlottesville. This is our chance to end that streak.

With so much on the line it's hard to believe we won't be ready.

Posted by: petecard | March 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm going down for this game, and I can assure you that the arena won't be anything like BC. At least 1/3 of the seats will be filled with Maryland fans taking advantage of UVA's lethargic fan base and Spring Break...

Posted by: jrraley | March 5, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

The bourbon has worn off, my exultation has worn off, now I'm worried about UVgay. Can't let up now.

Posted by: jpfterps | March 4, 2010 4:14 PM |

On the surface, this game is looks like one of the trappiest of trap games ever. However our guys haven't won in Charlottesville in years and I think they'll take it seriously. With a win GV & co have their own banner to hang in Comcast regardless of UNC-Duke result. I like JP's slander of the Wahoos so included it above. Would hate to see this one end up close. Look to see MD come out strong and maintain throughout the game. Would love to see Levent and Pearmen score on UVA's senior night. A big win counts more than a small win at this point in the polls and I think the team understands that.

I hope one of you re-posts Petecards situation summary from a few weeks ago before the GT or Clemson game. It is eerie that they have lived up to our expectations to this point and have surpassed the casual fans' expectations. 13-3 in the ACC is always a great year. What is weirder is it coincided with the last debates of whether GV one of the top players to the program (which I think now we are unanimous on) to how badly a screwing it will be if he does not get POY.
If I recall the general consensus was that the team needed to bring home a banner of some sort - ACC regular season, ACC tourney and/or deep run in the Dance (minimum Sweet 16) for GV to elevate to the same rung as Albert King, Len Bias, and Lucas.... with St. Juan being undiscussable without an NCAA title win.

That said, if the game dictates I hope that more than a few plays are run for LM to get him beyond his funk moreso than getting GV his points to secure the award. The ACC tourney is always tough to win regardless of seed and I don't think we continue on our tear without LM returning to the form he showed earlier in the season.

Beat UVA. Pummel them.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 5, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

jrraley -

That is the best news. Packing the arena with our fans would be great. Hope you guys are loud. It would be great if it turned into a MD home game similar to when the Steelers played at FedEx a couple of seasons ago.

Go Terps.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 5, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I hope you are right, Pete. Trust me. Those arrogant Dukies are fully expecting us to tank this game because it takes sooooooo much effort to beat their team that the Terps couldn't possibly recover to win the next game.

Good to hear that MD fans will be making the trip to UVA.

Posted by: larry31 | March 5, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

SY which games in the "Hoos" losing streak was close. FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP44 | March 5, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Just for you, HughG:

"Here is where we are in the conference on the eve of the GTech game:
Team W-L Our Result Vs.
Duke 10-2 Lost
VTech 8-3 @VT
Terps 8-3
Wake 8-4 Lost
FSU 7-5 Won Two
Clemson 6-5 Lost
GTech 6-6
UVA 5-6 Won
UNC 3-6 Won
BC 3-8 Won
Miami 3-9 Won
NCSU 2-10 Won Two

What does this say?
We have not faired well against the tougher teams with the exception of FSU.
The toughest part of our schedule is ahead of us. With the exception of UVA, every game will represent the chance to beat better teams than we have beaten throughout the season.

We can win the ACC Championship. We can slip into a bubble team. We can set ourselves up with a decent seed and a chance to get to a Regional. We can find ourselves in another bad tournament position struggling to win a game.
For all the other BS, the next five games mean so much."
Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2010 5:42 PM

UNC 5-10 Won
UVA 5-10 Won
BC 6-9 Won @
Miami 4-11 Won
NCSU 4-11 Won two

What does this say?

We have beaten every team in the ACC except, WF, an OT game on the road. We have played our best during the toughest part of our schedule. The UVA game represents the chance to at least tie for the regular season ACC Championship. We have eliminated the possibility of being a bubble team. We have set ourselves up with a decent seed and we can get a much higher seed (3?). We expect to get to a Regional.

Hats off to this team, fire tested and ready for a great run through both tournaments!

Posted by: petecard | March 5, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I won't make it, but know some people going down including the one and only Barno. Bring us back a victory and an ACC regular season title

Posted by: jpfterps | March 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Wanted to spread the news that it's the last day to vote for Greivis for the Bob Cousy Award: http://www.cousyaward.com/vote.php

We've been voting all week and noticed that this morning he went from leading at 29% at 10:00 AM today, to 16% at 11:00 AM! PLEASE DISTRIBUTE!!!

Posted by: jkim2284 | March 5, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Petecard -

for all of the posting of people's predictions, I think that reposting by yourself is likely the most satisfying. You nailed where we stood a few weeks ago - we had played onto the right side of the bubble and going .500 from there would keep us safe. The 3 seed is within reach, albeit an extended reach; a few weeks ago a share of the ACC title seemed a bit of a reach. And along the way GV cemented his position as one of the greats with a jersey retirement coming.

Pete, Poopy - Meeting Barno, jpf and JoeMama was a real treat. Intelligent young men with great outlooks. I hope you have the opportunity to meet them as well. Look, as a middle-aged asian guy who went to the school back in the 1980s, and decidedly self professed as "un-cool," it was nice to have some cool, partying young men have me out. The hysterical thing is, now whenever they are panning the crowd near the benches, I'm going to look for Barno (He sticks out, not in a bad way). Like I've said before, if we ever met in person, we'd all probably get along. One more point - in my book, rushing the court was fully justified and I hope those guys were leading the charge.

Beating UVA would erase any thoughts of this as a disappointing season in my book (ACC reg season title), but I will be disappointed if and when I see them lose again this season. Taking the ACC tourney and getting a 3 seed? That would be phenomenal. Regardless of the ACC tourney results, I think Sweet 16 is the par for this team at this point. Get there, no complaints. Surpass that, well then CP better prepare for some riots (I will gladly donate a couch to whichever fraternity I am directed to).

Warm and Happy Regards to all -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 5, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Barno -

Please rest your voice today and try to save it for the game tomorrow. Take their house and make it our house. I am assuming you were pretty hoarse yesterday.

JP - you're single, c'mon man go. Let the middle-aged guys live a little vicariously through you.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 5, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Go UNC, beat Duke. Give your season something memorable and spoil it for your hated rival. Throw MD a bone and make Scheyerface a frownyface.

I have trouble saying that, but you know why I am. Remember, as an older guy, I actually dislike UNC more than Duke. We can talk about Duke have the McD's all-americans, but UNC has the NBA all-star team and HOF. Still would rather see an ACC team than any other major conference teams (excepting Georgetown or Michigan).

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 5, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

This game is definitely a trap game. Maryland has lost @ UVA for 3 times straight! Almost every time Maryland has been the heavy favorite over a typically mediocre uva team.

While a Terp win in Methtown is the #1 priority on saturday, I'll be watching the dook-UNC game as well, hoping that unc can pull off the upset.

Posted by: TheMarylander | March 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The Cousy Award fan voting has closed. Kentucky's Wall won. The site was mighty slow yesterday, so I'm guessing there was a campaign or some sort of bot taking up bandwidth.

The good news is that Greivis has made it to the final six to be decided by the selection committee:

Sherron Collins - Kansas