Greivis Vasquez named second-team all-American

Greivis Vasquez was named a second-team all-American by the Associated Press on Monday. Vasquez led Maryland to a 24-9 record and to the second round of the NCAA tournament. He averaged 19.6 points, 4.6 rebounds and 6.3 assists per game this season.

Vasquez, also named ACC player of the year, is the first Maryland player to be named to an Associated Press all-American team since Juan Dixon was named to the first team in 2002.

The Maryland's athletic media relations department release is available after the jump:

Maryland point guard Greivis Vasquez was named Tuesday a second-team All-American by the Associated Press.

Vasquez, a senior from Caracas, Venezuela, was one of five players voted onto the second team and one of 15 players nationally who comprised AP’s three all-America squads.

Vasquez was the 2010 Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year and led the Terrapins to a 24-9 record overall and a berth in the NCAA Second Round. The Terps were beaten on a buzzer-beater in the second round by Michigan State, which has now advanced to its second straight Final Four.

The popular senior has already been named to a pair of all-America first teams, by Sporting News and FoxSports.com. He was also a second-team selection by Yahoo Sports.

He is the first Maryland player to earn all-America status from the AP since Juan Dixon was a first-team pick in 2002.

The voting for the all-America teams was conducted by the 65-member national media panel that selects the weekly Top 25.

ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-AMERICA TEAMS

FIRST TEAM – John Wall, Kentucky; DeMarcus Cousins, Kentucky; Evan Turner, Ohio State; Wes Johnson, Syracuse; Scottie Reynolds, Villanova.

SECOND TEAM – Greivis Vasquez, Maryland; James Anderson, Oklahoma State; Sherron Collins, Kansas; Jon Scheyer, Duke; Da’Sean Butler, West Virginia.

THIRD TEAM – Greg Monroe, Georgetown; Cole Aldrich, Kansas; Damion James, Texas; Luke Harangody, Notre Dame; Darington Hobson, New Mexico.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  March 29, 2010; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: March Memories: Catching up with Byron Mouton
Next: Maryland men's basketball season recap: Cliff Tucker

Comments

From All Met to All American, just another in the seemingly endless series of great local recruits that Gary got.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 29, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is a better player than scottie reynolds!

Posted by: bbachrac | March 29, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Where is a BUTLER player ??????

Posted by: nobody2 | March 29, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

y'know five years ago when it was announced that GW had signed two PGs and reading the profiles on them, I thought EH was the Blake clone replacement who would start the next four years (much like Blake did). Even earlier this season I was torn on GV and at times a bit critical towards him and I definitely complained about the shimmy. Then someone mentioned how close he was in terms of certain career milestones - scoring, rebounding and assists. And I started looking at him differently. Hell, I think I wanted to believe in him as an all-time great player, I wanted to be able to justify that distinction. And the team started to win.

If the Terps had finished second in the ACC (say, CT misses THAT shot) and GV ended up with the same exact scoring, rebounding and assist totals, I think his accolades might have been fewer and more muted. But the Terps did win the ACC regular season in dramatic fashion with a nationally televised game against Duke with the title on the line....and most folks watching were rooting for MD (ok, so most folks watching were rooting against Duke and we happened to be the opponent).

GV cemented it with that one wtf shot over Scheyerface. Sure there was a victory over the hated Wahoos, but that was the moment - similar to Bias stealing the ball from off an inbounds pass from UNC for a slam dunk. A great play by a great player beating a similarly great player to win the game with something huge at stake. If the Terps had beaten MichSt then it would have been surpassed by the 10 pts scored in 60 seconds capped by that particular (not quite as wtf?) runner - a monumental effort that I don't think many of us fans will forget. The guy improved under GW - especially during his senior year. At the beginning of the season when his scoring dipped but he was delivering 10+ assists/game, I thought he had regressed, and that little blip may have cost him first team honors. He was a character and a good guy - the type of player that makes me proud to be a Terp alum.

So I think he earned it. Before I called a sweet 16 as the minimum requirement for him to be considered in the list of greats just below St. Juan. I now believe the flow of awards proves that he belongs in the rung with Bias, King, Baxter, Lucas, McMillen, W. Williams, Buck Williams, Elmore, etc. I don't rank them in any particular order (but Juan is definitely number one in my book with the NC) from 2-10.

The above said, my personal favorite remains Albert King. I just loved watching him play. I even used to watch the Nets when Albert and Buck were there together as well...and the Bullets were making the playoffs every year. Will make it a point to watch for GV in the NBA - even with the pro game being the snooze fest that it is.

How on earth did Scottie Reynolds get the first team nod over GV? Kinda like that Eddie Murphy movie where he got folks to vote for "The Name You Know."

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 29, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, how did Scottie Reynolds get the nod over GV AND Scheyerface? What happened to the old reliable Duke media slant? I thought Reynolds had a prolonged slump during the meat of the BE season.

Even worse, wasn't Harangody injured for half the season - the half of the season where Notre Dame went on a tear and started beating everyone? I mean I agree with GV getting named, but I would agree alot more if he were on the 1st team.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 29, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Proud of GV. If the Terps could have pulled off the win against Michigan one can only imagine where Greivis would rank in the line of great Terps.

Posted by: Matt27 | March 30, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Complete crap. GV should have been 1st team.

And I can't hate on Scottie Reynolds making 1st team, he's a local guy, a Fightin' Hornet from Herndon High School.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 30, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Scottie Reynolds over GV? No way. Is this a vote from last year?

Posted by: lavar609 | March 30, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Congrats are in order for Vasquez, however
you Terp fans need to quit whinning. He was ACC POY, as well. Scottie Reynolds probably was placed ahead of him because Villanova spanked Maryland at a home away from home game (Verizon Ctr), for Maryland earlier this year.
Be thankful he had a great year.

Posted by: Hlynchmaster | March 30, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Congrats are in order for Vasquez, however
Be thankful he had a great year.

Posted by: Hlynchmaster | March 30, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

LOL!!!! If by spanked you mean lose by single digits and I'm sure an early December match-up was the difference in this one.

Posted by: elowe2 | March 30, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

GV was fun and maddening to watch. Congrats on the honor. It seems about right. I can't see him as a first teamer. He will have a great career in Europe or South America. Scottie Reynolds was a POY candidate for half the season. His slump over the last 2 - 3 weeks shouldn't knock him off 1st team, any more than GV getting exposed in the tourney should knock him off the 2nd team.

Posted by: mcmelton | March 31, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse