Let the ACC tournament begin ...

Just a few minutes ago, the Virginia men's basketball team took the floor here at Greensboro Coliseum. The Cavaliers are the first of 10 ACC teams to hold open practices today, and afterward, each team will talk with the media. So stay tuned to Terps Insider throughout the day for updates, and if you're interested anything Cavs or Hokies related, click here and/or here.

In the meantime, here are some thoughts on the ACC, as well as every other conference, courtesy Pat Forde at ESPN.com.

Forde (like nearly everyone else who's watch ACC basketball this season) picked Greivis Vasquez as the conference's player of the year.

The numbers are strikingly similar between Vasquez (19.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 1.6 steals, 1.28 points per shot) and Jon Scheyer (18.9 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.6 spg, 1.39 pps). The slight difference is in the level of importance to his team: The Terrapins aren't close to this season's success without Vasquez, whereas the Blue Devils can also lean on Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler.

And Forde also chose Gary Williams as the ACC's coach of the year.

The Terps were picked to finish fifth in the league; sharing a league championship revalidates Williams, whose star has waned since the 2002 national title. Honorable mention to Mike Krzyzewski and Seth Greenberg.

Forde picked Duke to win this week's ACC tournament.

The best team, with a long history of playing well in this tournament.

And he picked Georgia Tech as the conference tournament's dark horse.

The No. 7 seed Yellow Jackets could draw Maryland in the quarterfinals, and they had the Terps all but beaten in College Park a few weeks ago.

More to come as the day progresses.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 10, 2010; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reactions from your 2009-10 ACC Player and Coach of the Year
Next: 'They couldn't believe he was actually a real person'

Comments

How about Forde picking MD over Duke as his game of the year?

Posted by: fushezzi | March 10, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"Let the ACC Tournament Begin"

This is a tournament we can pretty much enjoy. It would be great to win and cop a 2 or 3 seed. If we win a game or two we will probably be a 4 or 5. We might make 3 if we reach the final and lose in a good game to Duck Fuke.

But next week the "Dance" starts and it certainly must be our turn to shine. It has been so long since we reached a Sweet 16 ('02, our championship year). Not making the regionals this year would be really disappointing.

Some won't care. They will make excuses.

Okay, Garo and your fellow Koolaid drinkers, blast me for feeling this way. Let me no how hated I am for wanting more.

At least I think Poopy, Reston and maybe even HughG are with me on this. But, unlike you, Garo, I will let them speak for themselves.

Posted by: petecard | March 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I believe they made the Sweet 16 in 2003, with Steve Blake and Drew Nicholas leading the way. (Just looked it up). Yeah, I recall correctly.

Posted by: pipkin42 | March 10, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

It's going to be great. With only a slight hesitation, I say it will be Duke vs. Maryland in the ACC final with the Terps winning again. For the NCAA tourney, Maryland goes to the elite 8 at least.

Posted by: tojo45 | March 10, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Petecard -

Actually, I am hoping for an ACC Tourney win, and a loss to duck fuke in the finals would be extremely disappointing. That said, no one's ever cried or rioted over losing the ACC Tourney. I stated before, I look at the ACC Tourney title as the equivalent to an Elite 8 appearance.

That said, I will be sorely disappointed for this team if they do not at least make the Sweet 16. All hypotheticals of seeding aside, two wins in the dance would alone hlep GV's in future arguments for being one of the all-time MD greats. Any further and he is squarely entrenched in the upper pantheon of MD greats. So yeah, I'd say making the Sweet 16 is the MOST important accomplishment I'd like to see from this team. The ACC tourney in comparison is a nice to have. Anything wins beyond the Sweet 16 would be fantastic. Any terps loss will be disappointing at this point, however winning the ACC regular season alone constitutes this particular season as a overall success. The dance is where legends are made and reputations cemented. I firmly believe that Lonny Baxter never enters the discussion of top 10 MD players because of only one performance in the 2002 title run (Kansas...we won it with him sitting on the bench) which in itself is a travesty.

Not expecting to be disappointed. Expecting GV to will this team to some more victories both this weekend and next.

btw - in every ACC tourney there is one unheralded player form the winning team who steps up big. in 2004 for us it was Mike Grinnon (and come to think of it, travis garrison was awesome for those three games). Who will it be for MD?

We expect GV to deliver, have been expecting LM to re-emerge and EH to be steady (whether he scores 10 or 21, the guy is always "steady'). JW will likely give us double-doubles. So in terms of the guy who delivers big, that leaves SM, DG, CT, AB, JP and SG. My hope is that SG delivers some key minutes after not playing all season and establishes himself as a fourth big...I wonder if I'm smoking the same stuff as Poopy? Realistically, look to DG to improve his shot selection and scoring as teams double down on JW.

I still think the one issue this team faces heading into the dance is that 4th big. Then again, if LM snaps out of his funk I'll happily be proven wrong again.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 10, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I love how Petecard is trying to position himself so that if the Terps don't make a big run in the NCAA tourney, he'll be able to come back on here and blast this team again, no doubt attacking our ACC coach and player of the year in the process.

Just like 2007. The terps had a great season, won 25 games, won double digit games in the ACC, beat Duke twice and knocked off top 5 UNC. And yet, Petecard considers that an awful season because we fell one basket shy of the sweet 16.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 10, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Go Terps!!

By the way, what is the deal with Steve Goins - he didn't play all year, but did Not get redshirted. Is he (still)hurt/injured or just not that good for this level of Competition?

Also, I see that, this week, the Terps got another (verbal) commitment for next year's squad (for a total of 5 - so far). Not much info, but I saw something on ESPN - so he looks like a good fit. They still have one scholarship on the table for the other potential Big that visited UofMd a month or so ago. Will they really go with 5 or 6 freshmen in a single class? Could be a good one. Any thoughts?

PS I agree with the contention that less than Sweet 16 would be a little disappointment. The can only lose two more games, but could win as many as 9 (I know - in my dreams) - - it would be nice to get at least half that.

Good Luck to the Terps - keep up the god work!!

Posted by: kevinb2000 | March 10, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Can't we all just get along?

GW - hall of fame coach - - please continue to add to your already stellar resume!!

Posted by: kevinb2000 | March 10, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

214 comments on the POY/COY announcements yesterday WITH PeteCard missing it altogether. For all of the sniping, C&Ps, and perhaps hurt feelings, it was a great day for the bball program. There were some newcomers taking lobs mainly at Poopy (with Poopy lobbing right back). No one wins, really, except for those of us who see the humor value in many of the posts. So yeah, I guess I tangentially won because I was lmao.

What a difference a year makes. last year we were hoping for an ACC run to make the dance, now we are concerned about the niggling details of being seeded 4,3 or 2. Indeed, the hopes heading in to the ACC tourney are far more laid back because we really don't need to win squat in Greenesboro. Not saying we don't WANT to win, saying we don't NEED to win. GV morphed from a point of polarization (being used as an example for the GW can't recruit argument last year) to becoming downright beloved. GW clearly outcoached his peers repeatedly in head-to-head competition. We saw the disappearances (in terms of scoring) by two key players (SM, then LM) during a f*ing winning streak. We saw our guard depth deliver repeatedly. This is a team that will make the Sweet 16 if they have to knock out some teeth to get there. and the prospects for next year look increasingly bright (three experienced guards, further depth and development of our bigs). Now I will state that GW earned a degree of a pass from me based on two FFs, one NC and one ACC tourney (with an otherwise disappointing cast of characters). and yes, I wish we got some of the big name recruits more often - especially from the immediate area. However, I do think the recent NCAA near-misses had discrete reasons (McCray's academics being truly the most egregious) which possibly could have been overcome with better depth.

GW got what he deserved this year - COY - no doubt about it. Would I like to see this level of performance every year? Heck yeah. Is it reasonable to expect it every year? Kinda. Do I think we'll return to the bubble anytime soon? Not for a few years as the recruiting pipeline seems robust with depth at every position (except 5, but we still have SG for another year). If we finish fourth in the ACC next year and win two at the dance (or better) I think the misses of the recent past will be long forgotten.

The final question is, do folks think GW would have gotten COY if we had one more ACC loss and had finished second (we'd still be locks for the dance)?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 10, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I want at least a Sweet 16 appearance. I think this team is that good and that is a reasonable goal.

This year has been great and memorable regardless, but if the season ends in the second round I will be a little disappointed.

Posted by: jpfterps | March 10, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

On Steve Goins - he is dressing and available to play after being injured most of the season. Not sure if he is a Soph or RS-Soph. Lingering Foot injury has been his recurring bane.

Burney is out for the year (which is a shame) and is acting as the asst. strength and conditioning coach. He actually has eligibility remaining and could walk-on next year. Not sure whether that is merely possible or actually probable. An unbelievably star-crossed career at MD.

Pearman is on a year-to-year scholarship which can be rescinded and he would move back to walk-on status.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 10, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

more good news for GW and his assistants:

Well earned.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 10, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hugh you might have a man crush on Goins

Posted by: jpfterps | March 10, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Nooo. Just a man-crush on teams with four effective bigs. Actually have more of a man-crush on GW. And GV. And EH. And JW. And Mike Grinnon.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 10, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Burney does have eligibility left, and it would be great if he were every fully healed and we could get him in the rotation. But...he walked out there on senior night and took his turn on the court like GV, Hayes, and Milbourne. Assuming that's a pretty strong sign that his playing days at MD are over. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 10, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

pipkin, Thanks for setting me straight. I knew that but blew it. Wouldn't want to take any credit away from Steve Blake. What a wonderful NBA career he has had.

Posted by: petecard | March 10, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

HughG,

I agree with most of your thoughts. I wouldn’t be concerned with how the NCAA performance would impact GV. He’s had a great career and will be a Maryland HOFer. The only thing that matters to me in the NCAA’s is how it impacts the team and the program. To me, it’s about Maryland and to some extent GW, but it’s not about individual players or their legacies.

Posted by: petecard | March 10, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic.
Posted by: Barno1 | March 10, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Unlike you, Garo, I don’t spend ANY time positioning myself for how I come across on this blog. I say what I think.

“I'm not saying we need to go nuts if we don't do well. I am saying we should all be disappointed because NCAA Tournament performance really matters.”

Did you read that part of my post, Garo? Did you read it or can you just not comprehend it?

Then the excuses start: Pick out one year (2007)and try to make your case. It’s not about ONE year. It’s about 6 years and year-in and year-out.

But what’s really funny and so typical of you (and I might add shameful) is that, once again, you revert to your thuggish attack mode in responding to any post that doesn’t pass your Koolaid test.

Let’s apply your word choice to you: PATHETIC

Posted by: petecard | March 10, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I posted this this AM in response to Garo's blitz...

"I will say it again, but don't expect Garo to repost this:
This has been a wonderful season to be a Terp fan. We had a pretty difficult (rotten?) start but kept getting better and we are now certainly on a roll. COY, POY, a 4/5 seed in most projections. We beat all the tough teams in the ACC except WF ( and maybe we will get another shot). Co-champs for the ACC regular season.
It's all good.
After 6 years of gloom in the NCAA Tournament we have a chance this year to at least reach the Sweet 16 and maybe we can go deep.
Some of us have put aside our longer term goals for the program to be "Elite" again. It's not the time to be asking questions about next year and raising what-ifs. It's time to be Terp Fans."

Garo followed with...

"Petecard, well you may have found it disgraceful, that's fine. But judging by the comments on here many others enjoyed seeing you and the dozens of other anti-Gary fans eat their words."

Posted by: Barno1 | March 10, 2010 11:01 AM

Glad that's fun for you, Garo, I just think it's funny and typical of your silly behavior on this blog. It's so obvious that you don't read the full posts, don't comprehend them and you don't appreciate the context in which they are presented. But I know most thinking people already no that about you.

Posted by: petecard | March 10, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

This blog would be 900% better if Barno, Petecard and Poopy would just stop posting. No one cares about your internet pissing match, just let it f'ing go already.

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | March 10, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who tries to champion Natty Boh shouldn't have a say in any matter.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 10, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

P*ss tastes better than Natty Bo but the comment is spot on.

Posted by: CYork1 | March 10, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

NattyBo1985 and Cyork said it right.
I'm tired of reading all the crap from them between real posts.

Posted by: bentoenail | March 11, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse