Maryland advances to second round with 89-77 win over Houston

Thanks in part to a huge night from freshman forward Jordan Williams, the Maryland men's basketball team advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament with a 12-point win over Houston on Friday night. The Terrapins will square off against Michigan State on Sunday afternoon.

Houston set a torrid pace in the first half, and several Terrapins said they got caught trying to keep up with all the shots the Cougars were firing. Once Maryland settled down a bit, the Terrapins were better able to manage the game's tempo.

Maryland did well to seize the advantages Houston offered. The Terrapins pounded the Cougars on the boards, 50-29. Maryland also did well to limit the advantages it was thought that Houston might be able to claim. The Cougars shot 30.8 percent (4 for 13) three-point range in the first half and were much more timid in their perimeter shot selection (3 for 7) in the second half.

"I think we were just loose," Greivis Vasquez said of Maryland's hot start to the second half. "In the first couple minutes of the first half we were so tight. We didn’t play in a while. We watch all these games. A lot of teams get upset. We just weren’t relaxed. The second half was a different type of game. We were more loose and let the game come to us, and we had a good game."

Three Up:

1) Jordan Williams. The freshman forward tallied 21 points and 17 rebounds. His rebounding total was the highest for a Maryland player in the NCAA tournament since 1995, when Joe Smith grabbed 21 boards against Texas. Williams anchored the Terrapins against a Houston squad that wavered between indifference and inability on the boards. Williams's growth has been continual nearly all season long, and Maryland will need another strong showing from him on Sunday against a very physical Michigan State squad.

2) Landon Milbourne. The senior forward seems to have broken out of his slump at just the right time. Milbourne turned in his second straight solid performance, tallying 19 points and seven rebounds against Houston.

3) Greivis Vasquez. Another all-around performance from the Venezuelan senior tonight. Vasquez tallied 16 points, seven rebounds and six assists. He also did a fairly decent job defending Houston's Aubrey Coleman, the nation's leading scorer. Vasquez said his goal was to keep Coleman from scoring more than 25 points (Coleman's season average). Coleman tallied 26, but Vasquez seemed okay with his defensive effort.

Three One Down:

1) Another uneasy start. Houston set the game's pace at the outset. The Cougars fired lots of quick shots and somehow induced Maryland into doing the same thing. When the pace was frenetic and the possession count expanded with a dizzying frequency, Houston was able to build a small lead. But eventually Maryland found its legs and began making the Cougars pay for their missed shots (and their inability to snag rebounds). After Maryland ran off an 11-2 run early in the second half, Houston never truly threatened the Terrapins' lead again.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 20, 2010; 2:07 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NCAA tournament: Maryland-Houston Live Chat
Next: NCAA tournament 2010: Scouting Michigan State

Comments

This game was indicative of the type of game that Maryland plays. While Houston's run and gun offense had enough to keep close with the Terps in the first half, they wore down as the game wore on. Brando and Gminski were square on when they remarked how tired they looked when they approached the free-throw line. Most of the quality teams may let you hang around for a while, but their talent and depth will eventually take over, like it has for the Terps all season.

The only thing I'll be picky about are some of the dumb turnovers. Tucker had two "what was I thinking" T.O.'s in the 2nd half and Hayes had one where the defender picked his pocket clean for an easy score. I only mention this because those moments, fortunately, are few and far between. A good win, nevertheless. One down, five to go.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | March 20, 2010 5:15 AM | Report abuse

Initially, Houston looked awfully good for a 14-seed, but Jordan Williams steadfast performance throughout the game neutralized any advantage they possessed.

Next up is MSU so let's hope our guys bring their 'A' game and coach Williams concocts Izzo-defeating tactics, much as he has done before.

Posted by: AncientTerp | March 20, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Most encouraging sign IMO was that everyone got involved at some point, especially in the first half when Greivis was playing facilitator. In addition to the three players mentioned in the recap, we had several big shots from AB and EH, and some points from CT as well. If last night's MSU/NMSU game was any indication, the pace for tomorrow's game will be much slower; we'll have to do our best to try to keep the tempo up a little in order to make MSU uncomfortable. If it turns into a grind, I think that will favor the Spartans.

Posted by: stjerome03 | March 20, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Maryland has a great player. But Michigan State has a great coach, and I think that's the difference in this game" - B. Hussein Obama

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

If I want an asses opinion I'll talk to a donkey.

Posted by: fushezzi | March 20, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Good job boys keep it up!

Posted by: Realness1 | March 20, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, we know the President didn't drink the koolaid... but that certainly doesn't make me a fan of his.

Talk about an over-rated "expert." Everyone know that GW can flat-out coach. Over course Izzo is a great coach too, but what a diss.

Let's get some WaPo articles going about the horrible coaching job being done at Oregon State!

Posted by: petecard | March 20, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Politics...the one place where Petecard and Barno can agree. Who knew?

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Ah I love it when barno shows his true colors and in this case pulls out the old hannity/beck/rove playbook and uses hussein when talking about obama. Like the thoughtless are still thinking "well gosh darn it he's got the same name as a former iraqi dictator he must be just as bad." Next thing barno will be going on about birth certificates, tea parties, and calling people commie-nazis.

With that said I couldn't care less what obama thinks. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Just wish some more of you terp fans could be up here in washington cheering on the terps in person. Sunday should be another fun day up here in the pacific northwest.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, he's back. This blog was doing so much better without Poopy. But then he makes his return with 3 consecutive posts of the same exact comment...there's really only ONE loser on here who would do that. Ah well, I guess the genius finally figured out that he hadn't been banned from the Terp Insider like he claimed a few days ago over on the DC Sports Bog. Lol.

As for Obama's middle name, I could care less what our president's name is, only reason to ever highlight it is because it riles up his defenders and that's pure comedy sometimes as evidenced in the above 3 posts. Sure, there are still some bigots in this country but I am anything but one. I think the fact that a black man with what he himself termed a "funny name"--and a middle name that's the same as the one-time leader of the country we were at war with--becoming elected president of this country shows just how far Americans have come on race. And I think calling/insinuating someone is a racist without any evidence whatsoever is just about the slimiest tactic in the book. But that's just like Poopy. Guy is a pure scumbag.

As for this: "Next thing barno will be going on about birth certificates, tea parties, and calling people commie-nazis"

I can't help but laugh at McClown's profiling of me. Because I am a conservative I must be a fan of Glen Beck/Hannity/Birthers/tea parties etc. Hah, it's funny because it's you McClown who shows your true colors when you make such broad assumptions about people. I am no fan of the "birthers" nor the tea party activists. As I've said before here (but which Poopy continues to forget) I am no fan of Beck nor hannity, nor am I am fan of the birthers or tea party activists. I think they make real conservatives look bad and could very well damage the Republican party's chances in 2012. I'm sure this is way over your head though McPoop, so I won't bother going into further details.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Barno if I'm banned how am I able to still post? Too bad the Post doesn't ban anyone. You should know that since you'd be the first one gone what with all the threads you hijack with ur copy/pasting.

Time for you to go back to your patented copy/paste antics, crying about year old stories about recruiting, and paying for friends.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

And yes sorry for the triple post. Doing this form a cellphone isn't the most ideal thing but since my computer is at home and I'm in washington, I'll manage.

Oh and did I mention barno pays for friends.

Hahahahahhahahaha