Maryland comeback falls short in 69-64 loss to Ga. Tech

Had Maryland's ACC quarterfinal match-up against Georgia Tech lasted 41 minutes, the Terrapins might have pulled out the victory. Of course, regulation is only 40 minutes long, which meant that the Terrapins did not have enough time to overcome the lack of effort that forced them into a considerable hole in the first half.

Maryland nearly erased a 16-point halftime deficit by flummoxing Georgia Tech with constant full-court pressure. The most interesting stat of the night -- at least in my opinion -- was that the Yellow Jackets tallied twice as many turnovers in the second half (16) as they did made baskets (eight).

The five-point loss snapped Maryland's seven-game winning streak and sent the Terrapins home to College Park, where they will await their selection to the NCAA tournament Sunday night.

"The second half was fun," said Greivis Vasquez, who tallied a game-high 17 points. "We just didn’t do enough to get the lead. It’s just tough. It’s so tough. It’s going to be so tough watching the film because I thought we could have taken the lead and beat them. But the first half was the key. They had a great first half, and we didn’t."

Three Up:

1) Full-court pressure defense. In the second half, Maryland tallied 10 steals and forced Georgia Tech to commit 16 turnovers. The Terrapins scored 13 points off of those turnovers after the break. And much of that was due to the fact that Maryland relentlessly pressured the Yellow Jackets off of every made basket. There were times -- many times, actually -- when it didn't seem like Georgia Tech had any idea what to do to combat Maryland's pressure.

2) Landon Milbourne. It had been a rough past few weeks for Milbourne, but he sure turned in a solid performance tonight against Georgia Tech. Milbourne was more active in the post and on the glass than he's been in quite a few games. He finished with 15 points on 7 of 14 shooting and six rebounds. He also played a key role in Maryland's pressure defense on Georgia Tech's in-bound plays. He tallied five steals on the night. Greivis Vasquez called Milbourne the best player on the floor in a Maryland uniform tonight.

3) Eric Hayes. If Milbourne was the best Maryland player on the floor tonight, Hayes was a close second. Especially in the second half, Hayes was assertive with the ball. He drove into the lane and displayed a crafty ability to finish amid Georgia Tech's imposing frontcourt personnel. For his standards, Hayes's long-range touch wasn't quite there tonight (2 for 5 from three-point range), but he made up for it in other ways. Hayes registered 14 points on 6 of 12 shooting.

Three Down:

1) First-half effort. Gary Williams said in the opening statement of his postgame press conference that the Terrapins "weren't ready emotionally" to play at the start of the game. He took responsibility for that, though several players said the lack of effort they displayed in the first half was on them.

"I felt like we wanted to win more in the second half than we did in the first half," Milbourne said. "In the first half we just came out there and just tried to play. And in the second half we came out there and tried to win. That was the difference."

2) Foul trouble. Freshman forward Jordan Williams played just 21 minutes Friday against the Yellow Jackets after dealing with foul trouble throughout the second half. He picked up his fourth foul with 15:33 left in the game. Williams was subbed out immediately and did not re-enter the contest for more than eight minutes. He finished with seven points and seven rebounds (five of which came on the offensive glass), and while he was on the court he was fairly productive. But due to foul trouble, his minutes were limited.

3) Three-point shot selection. Maryland shot 4 for 21 (19 percent) from three-point range. Vasquez shot 2 for 11 (18.2 percent) from beyond the arc. It would be one thing if Vasquez and the Terrapins just had an off night shooting the ball from long range. But Maryland's shot selection from the perimeter was not always prudent during a second half in which it needed to be as effecient as possible as it tried to pull even from a 16-point halftime deficit.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 12, 2010; 11:15 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live chat: Maryland vs. Georgia Tech
Next: Video: Maryland falls to Georgia Tech in ACC tournament

Comments

Hey look everyone, I, too, can copy/paste peoples old quotes in a feeble attempt to make others look silly so I can than sit back and revel in just how awesome I am, or atleast come off as on the interweb by making people "eat their own words".....

It's going to be great. With only a slight hesitation, I say it will be Duke vs. Maryland in the ACC final with the Terps winning again.

Posted by: tojo45 | March 10, 2010 11:11 AM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

All that said - seems to me the stars have aligned for another ACC title for the Terps.

Posted by: putnam23 | March 11, 2010 8:29 AM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

I think that the most likely scenario is a 3rd MD vs. Duke game

Posted by: CYork1 | March 11, 2010 10:55 AM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Oh yea!!! Thanks GT boyz. Appreciate the chalk board material. Now it's ON!!!!

Posted by: terps85292 | March 12, 2010 12:22 AM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Go Terps!! We're capable of bringing the Championship home.

Posted by: SirPelleas | March 12, 2010 9:23 AM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I was much more worried about this game until I read the GT commentary. That will have the boys properly fired up.

Posted by: jpfterps | March 12, 2010 10:41 AM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpfterps | March 12, 2010 10:41 AM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

some one should tell them Paul Hewitt can't coach in the postseason

Posted by: heathdog1119 | March 12, 2010 5:25 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

some one should tell them Paul Hewitt can't coach in the postseason

Posted by: heathdog1119 | March 12, 2010 5:25 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpfterps | March 12, 2010 10:41 AM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpfterps | March 12, 2010 10:41 AM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

MD will take control in the second half, working on all cylinders, while GT fades down the stretch due to fatigue/lack of leadership. That's the way I see it -- MD 76, GT 72

Posted by: TerpTicker | March 11, 2010 10:41 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

So since both sides know the scouting report on how Tech plans on coming out - drive and crash - I'm taking the team with the coach with the NC ring. Terps 75 Tech 69.

GO TERPS!!!

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | March 11, 2010 11:07 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Congrads Terps!!!! Everyone is allowed a night off.. However You had your night off..You are not allowed to have another till 4/6/2010...

Again thank you for a great regular season...I am a little bit balder and had to refrill my xanax during numerous games

See ya on 4/6/2010 in indy

Posted by: carolina1 | March 13, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

I wish I knew why i get my hopes up for the ACC tourney each year. It seems to be a Duke-UNC stranglehold - hoping anyone else wins it this year. MD played an absolute crap game and somehow made it close. JW in foul trouble was the difference as EH and LM were making up for GV's shooting woes. More concerned that they make the sweet 16 at this point. Not sure how it impacts seeding but they have to win two more games regardless.

The positive is that they never stopped fighting and made it a game for the last 12 minutes or so. So frustrating watching that many opportunities to grab the lead go wasted. Hoping this is an aberation and my screen name does not go kablooey on me again.

I think we all predicted a Terp victory. We needed another player to step up - AB was pretty decent last night. Actually am more disappointed in SM's shooting than GV's although 2-11 on treys is abysmal. good to see LM back. Seedings come out tomorrow and look for the entire ACC to represent well in the dance. Not a down year for the conference, just a down year for UNC, and I think the competitiveness of the league will mean a few teams advancing to the Sweet 16.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 13, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

What's so sad is, how many of us are really surprised that the Terps came up so small in this game? Seriously. Kinda expected it didn't we. That's the sad indictment on Gary. Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Almost Rookie of the Year and yet here is this kind of continuting really poor performance when it mattered most? Duke takes care of business. Maryland is just......well Maryland.

Posted by: dovelevine | March 13, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

All we are is Maryland, but that's enough if they play up to their God given abilities and hustle. The fatal trap for all UMD Men's team sports is forgetting that. Can't just throw the jersey on and get wins like Duke UNC (usually), etc. Wins are earned here gentlemen.

Posted by: Realness1 | March 13, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dovelevine | March 13, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

No, we didn't expect this. GT matches up well against us but I truly doubt anyone expected us to be down 18 at any point in this game.

Poor performance when it matters most? Really? When it mattered, didnt we run off 7 straight wins, including a win over the #4 team in the country?

Duke took care of business....I guess. They won but I think you'd have a problem finding a Duke fan who would be happy with their performance vs. VA.

Maryland is just....well Maryland.
Huh?

Posted by: fushezzi | March 13, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Who cares that we lost in the ACC's? Not me. The ACC Tourney is an anachronism (look it up Poopy) that means absolutely nothing. The only thing that matters in the NCAA's and Gary will have them ready.

Posted by: aviscardo | March 13, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Great regular season in the ACC. Co-champs.

Now is our chance to play well when it really matters, not the conference tournament, the Big Dance.

We will get a higher seed than many of us thought possible after our early non-conference missteps.

So here we are with a chance to get to a regional for the first time since '03.

NO MORE EXCUSES

Posted by: petecard | March 13, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

>>but I truly doubt anyone expected us to be down 18 at any point in this game. Posted by: fushezzi

Exactly. How emabarrassing is that? No. 2 seed, co-regular season champs down 18 to Tech. Man oh Man. Sez it all.

>>Who cares that we lost in the ACC's?

Oh I don't know. How bout the coaches, the players, the alumni, the students, the fans. ACC Tourney matters! BIGTIME! Just ask Duke. Just ask the Lady Terps last year!

Posted by: dovelevine | March 13, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I see the loss as only a minor disappointment. A few of those in and out shots stay in and the Terps would have won. They missed open shots that other days would have gone in. Georgia Tech had the advantage of playing a game already in that venue, so were more comfortable with the court. (Granted, they also had the fatigue factor.)

I am more thrilled with the conference co-championship. Even if they don't go far in the NCAA, it's been an exciting season to be a fan. Still, it would be great to make the Sweet 16.

Posted by: booger1 | March 13, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

>>Who cares that we lost in the ACC's?

How bout all those Terp fans who spent $500-$900 on tourney tix. How's that lookin now?

Posted by: dovelevine | March 13, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Who cares that we lost in the ACC's?

Posted by: dovelevine | March 13, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------

When a loss in the ACC tournament ends our season its relevant. The only relevance involved in yesterdays loss is that it basically ensured we will receive a 5 seed.

Cheer up sunshine....maybe that black cloud will stop following you around.

Posted by: fushezzi | March 13, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Now that we are basically assured a 5 seed do we have to stress the dreaded 5-12 game? i'm worried already

I agree with whoever said "slight disappointment". Last night was a bummer but I am glad they fought back. GV won't play that bad two games in a row, better get it out now than later.

And poopy, what's up with posting my comment 4 times? I don't even think my comment was too inflamatory. Whatever gets your rocks off buddy

Posted by: jpfterps | March 13, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

One up: Well, I thought it'd be good to get a loss out of our system as a wakeup call, etc. before entering the tourney.

One down: woulda preferred that we at least win a game in Greensboro before exiting. But whatever, I agree w/ viscardo - Gary will have the boys ready...

I'd almost rather have a 6-seed than a 5 at this point to avoid the top-seed in the round of 16... (assuming we get that far...)

Posted by: putnam23 | March 13, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

>>Gary will have the boys ready...

Ya mean like last night?

Posted by: dovelevine | March 13, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

We'll be ready. I'm willing to bet GV doesn't shoot 6-21 FGs (2-11 3pt) in any game in the tournament. He had a subpar game last night and that's a big reason why we lost. My favorite player (mosley) threw up a doughnut that didn't help either. Don't count on that out of them again.

We live by the Greivis and die by the Greivis....and I am perfectly fine with that.

Posted by: fushezzi | March 13, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

GaTech and UNC were the two teams in the entire ACC tournament draw that I did not want to see the Terps play. Unfortunately, the Terps got a team that came the closest to beating them in Comcast, and because of a pathetic first half performance, they got sent home early. What's worse is that the team did show some amazing tenacity in the second half to come all the way back, only to see a bad call (Favor's after-the-shot-clock basket) and terrible shot selection down the stretch to ruin an incredible comeback. Not only that, but with NC State beating FSU, their half of the bracket opened up to allow them a reasonable shot to get another shot at Duke in the final.

Oh well, but now the Terps are faced with the challenge of staying fresh after a week layoff against a team no one would have thought would even make the NCAA tournament on the opposite end of the country.

Posted by: Russtinator | March 15, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse