Poll: What are your initial thoughts on the end of Maryland's season

Over the next few weeks we will more closely examine Maryland's season, which ended Sunday with an 85-83 loss to Michigan State in the second round of the NCAA tournament. But for now, I'm interested in your immediate thoughts on a few matters as you start to digest all that took place with the Terrapins over the past five months.

As always, feel free to expand on your choices in the comments section below or shoot me an email at yandas@washpost.com.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 22, 2010; 8:04 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland's season ends with 85-83 loss to Michigan State
Next: Coach Gary Williams on Washington Post Live

Comments

My initial thought is that this team, while deep and extremely talented at guard, lacked bigs. I believe that LM played out of position all year, and as our 4, did not rebound as effectively as a legit 4 with size. That said, our best starting five was GV, EH, SM, LM and JW. Minor shortcomings included the development of JP, and DG's shooting. JW is a star who developed far more quickly than most of the big men who have come through CP in recent memory.

Our guard play was spectacular throughout the season as most of us predicted it would be. GV proved he is a star, although it seemed during the latter stages of the season, he would wait until late in games to shine. The team played brilliant basketball for extended stretches - in my mind the stretch of ACC games prior to the first loss at Duke (and including the WFU loss) showed us a team that was capable of running with anyone in the country. Especially after the MSU game, but really throughout the season, rebounding has been an issue. Now rebounding improved tremendously from last year, but beyond JW's continued developement, we need DG, JP or Ashton Pankey to show some soft hands and decent shooting next year.

We return five from the rotation of 8 (with the three lost being a superstar and two solid performers) with the potential to add 2 (Pankey and JP) to four (MY MAN GOINS and Burney) legit bigs (in terms of size) to the roster, and at least one (JP) to the rotation. The real question will be - can the heavily hyped recruits deliver young and take advantage of the depth and talent in bigs next year?

Great season, but after today we'll start discussing '10-'11.

Warm Regards to all on the board; you guys have made this season substantially more entertaining. Even Yanda and Prisbell.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 22, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

That sure was a heartbreaker today. Our problem for sure has been size, but on a day we got crushed on the boards the best guard lineup in the country almost bails us out. Vasquez reinvigorated this franchise, and I expect some good years ahead. Look for Tucker and Bowie next year to finally prove themselves, and good things will certainly follow with a deeper front court.

Posted by: sanjuan1227 | March 22, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I voted giving them an "A" becuase I think they far exceeded expectations. Listen, as long as Gary is honest and doesn't try to cheat, we will never have the recruits to win another title. The only way we win is to follow the example of the other title, when a senior who exceeded expectations (Juan Dixon) leads the team. This almost happened this year. But I say congrats to Gary for not stooping to the level a lot of other coaches do. I'd rather win slightly fewer games than win a championship the wrong way. Call me old school if you wish, but that is how I feel.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | March 22, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

You need an "A-" choice. One more win would have made it complete.

No, they didn't win a tournament. No, they didn't make a Final Four. But this team was the epitome of everything else we could ever want in a college sports team. The emotion, the teamwork, the pride - they were all there. That's what makes this so hard. You didn't just want them to win because you're a Maryland fan. You wanted them to win because they deserved it. There is no doubt that I'll miss these seniors more than anyone since Dixon, Baxter, and Blake.

It's a sad day. We wanted so much more for them.

Posted by: ICBomber | March 22, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

What a gut punching loss. I'm proud of the guys though, they had a great year and played their tails off. Co-ACC champs is great accomplishment. Good luck to the seniors as they move on with the rest of their lives, you gave us fans some great memories.

GO TERPS!

Posted by: Section505203 | March 22, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Man, you had to love this team's seniors. They've washed the terrible taste of Garrison, Gilchrest, Caner-Medley, and McCray from the mouth of this program.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 22, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

A heartbreaker for sure. But what a season! ACC champs, a player of the year, a coach of the year, a buzzer beater win at home, beating Duke on senior night...one of my favorite seasons of Maryland basketball in years. Like Gary always says, once you win a championship, it's hard to settle for anything less. But do I have to remind everyone of the Bob Wade years? Despite the second round exit, I'd rank 2010 5th best season behind 2002, 2001, 1986, and 1997. A++

Posted by: Effyeahterps | March 22, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

of course I meant 1984 and bias's win in ACC.

Posted by: Effyeahterps | March 22, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Best season in eight years. Amazing what happens for UMD B-ball when players decide to improve each day. Thanks for the ACC Title gentleman!

Posted by: Realness1 | March 22, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Terps 2010-11:

C JW/Goins
PF Dino/Padgett/Pankey
SF Tucker/Parker/Paulson
SG Mosley/Bowie/Peshon
PG Stoglin/Bowie

Burney and Goins health and future?

Posted by: Realness1 | March 22, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for a great season fellas. This one hurts and I need time to figure out how good this team was and what we will be next year. Like a few of the posts said, this team was the best and most likable squad we have had in years.

Posted by: lavar609 | March 22, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

This team ended exactly where they were expected to at the beginning of the season. The fact that they were much worse than expected early and better than expected at the end of the regular season shouldn't change that they were around 20-30 in the nation. With a stud freshman, senior leaders, lots of good role players, and the ACC player of the year, it is too bad Gary couldn't do more with this team. Interior presence/rebounding and giving too many open looks at threes have been the downfall of every single Maryland team since Joe Smith.

Posted by: Dancy1 | March 22, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I think Gary did a great job with the talent the team had this year particularly in the 2nd half of the season. The ACC just does not have a lot of good coaches right now and Gary really shined. But I'm still no Gary fan. He's also responsible for stocking the shelves with talent. I don't think anyone wants us to be slimy like a Kentucky or UgotConned, but is Ohio State, Michigan State, Xavier, West Virginia, Syracuse all dirty as well? I think not. My hats off to the MD kids that played within the system and competed all year, but we're just not playing with a full set of cards compared to the top 20 type programs which is why we haven't seen a Sweet 16 in a long time and trust me it ain't coming next year. How can you not look at the Comcast Center and that Duke game and NOT be able to sell recruits on coming to MD? Gary is a good teacher and good in game coach, but just not interested in recruiting dirty, clean or otherwise. I work with a guy now that went to BC when Gary was there. Interesting he is not well liked up there. They general concensus is that he coached up the players he inherited and had a couple years good run which he parlayed in the Ohio State job. The fans felt he left the talent cupboard totally bare and it took them a number of years to recover and rebuild recruiting relationships.

Posted by: restonhoops | March 22, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Would anyone trade a miss on Cliff Tuckers jumper to beat Tech for a miss yesterday from Korie Lucious???

Personally, I'm not sure. As sweet as it would have been to more on, with a realistic shot at the Elite 8, that Co ACC title and a banner to hang is still prettu nice

Posted by: asnis715 | March 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I do not understand Gary's love affair with Bowie. In the last 3 mins of the game, he missed an easy layup, turn the ball over, stupid foul and the last play of the game, he does not jump to try and block shot. He stand there and watches. Not even a bit of movement. If he is the starter at point, he can not deal with pressure. Subbing is too much for him.

Gary is a winner and who am I to point out my thoughts?

Still worried about Bowies next yr.

Posted by: jack51 | March 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

You have to play who you have. Neither Tucker or Bowie have developed into consistent players, but who else do we have?
********************************

Gary is a winner and who am I to point out my thoughts?

Still worried about Bowies next yr.

Posted by: restonhoops | March 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Asnis - are you serious? Of course you trade a Tucker miss for a Lucious miss (and a chance to make a deeper tourney run). No question....

Posted by: putnam23 | March 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

It will take another down year in the ACC for this group to make the tourney next year. The die was cast with the failure of Dupree and no consistent offensive threat from Mosley/Tucker/Bowie. Maybe they take a collective quantam leap forward this summer, but I don't see it in the cards.
***********
Terps 2010-11:

C JW/Goins
PF Dino/Padgett/Pankey
SF Tucker/Parker/Paulson
SG Mosley/Bowie/Peshon
PG Stoglin/Bowie

Posted by: restonhoops | March 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Jack- it wasnt Bowie's fault on the final play. His man was Lucious- he left his man to stop the ball, which no one else did- and that left Lucious open. Not sure who was checking Green? but no-one stopped the ball. People have also been pointing the finger at Milbourne- not sure, but he probably should have been the one to pick-up Green advancing the ball, and hes usually pressing the ball on the inbounds, but Lucious wasnt his man. It was a collective effort, and displays why it pays for the team with the ball to not call a timeout in a situation like that as the defense is usually more disorganized than the offense

Posted by: asnis715 | March 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Bowie was less than 3 ft from the shooter and if u look at the replay you will see he did not even bother to jump. At least Landon tried. He plays out of control.
There are videos that show that he had the best chance to block it.

Major reactions to his lack of concern or effort.

In addition, he misses yet another layup.

Posted by: jack51 | March 22, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

IMO the Terps could have advanced one or two more rounds.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 22, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

asnis & jack- i concur with asnis that bowie did a very nice job of stopping the ball. though, he still should've made an attempt to block lucious' shot. there's no reason not to at least make an attempt to block it, right? i dvr'd the game, & played the last 6.6 tic back several X's. milbourne was the player who was clearly at fault here. landon was standing just outside the foul line (not guarding anyone), & for some bizarre reason, he even moved a little inside the foul line. he obviously had a very clear view of lucious hanging outside the trey line w/no one within a good 7 or 8 feet of him. why would landon remain "inside" the foul line, not guarding anyone & not come out to guard lucious? what purpose did it serve for him to be standing around the foul line when lucious could easily catch a pass & drain a GW shot, which he unfortunately did? if you notice, every other terp was guarding someone except williams who covered the left lane & was thus ready to hit the boards if need be. he didn't have to worry about roe who was outside the 3 pt line - he ducked when the ball went to lucious. to top it off, i felt landon made a half-hearted attempt to block lucious' shot. the clear GOAT on the final play was mr. "brain freeze" milbourne. i told a long time terps fanatic of mine right after the game. milbourne's defense lapse was 1 of the worst defensive lapses i've seen in an ncaa tourney game over the past 30 yrs. fellas, check the replay if you can very closely, & you'll see EXACTLY what i'm talking about. i'm still very proud of their incredible comeback yesterday - they showed a lot of heart, especially vazquez. it's just a shame milbourne made a serious "D" blunder in the end. you gotta get right up in lucious grill there!

Posted by: just1victory | March 22, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Based on the talent that Gary had, this may have been his best job of coaching. BUT-The talent he had is a result of his recruiting. Williams looks like a stud in the making. His foul shooting has been improved, and he is becomming more agressive. The rest of that team, scares me next year. We cannot recruit top 20-50 players. Gone are the days of McMillian, King, Lucas, Moses (yes-he was heading to Md before going pro). We don't get the top recruits any more. After the championship we should have. We need better recruiting for better talent. Gary can coach, but can he recruit anymore? Good but not great is the Md program. I want a return to the top 10, and Lefty's promise of the "UCLA of the East".
Terp 68'

Posted by: nfield | March 22, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

It was a great season. A lot of fun to watch. Its unfortunate the way it ended,but thats basketball. I can't wait for next season when JW averages a double double and takes another step toward having his jersey hanging from the rafters of Comcast.

Posted by: terpin | March 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: just1victory | March 22, 2010 1:22 PM

Agreed. I yelled "stop the ball" 3 times at the TV between the in bounds pass and the shot.

Posted by: Realness1 | March 22, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Watched the game at a sportsbar with friends and hundreds of terps fans. After it was over, I kept replaying the final 6.5 seconds left in my head, and I kept telling myself there was just no way they could have done everything they did in just 6.5 seconds. Finally got around to watching it again late last night. And whaddaya know...

THE CLOCK DID NOT START WHEN MICHIGAN STATE INBOUNDED THE BALL. Somewhere between .5 and a full second elapsed after the ball had been inbounded before the clock started. The ball left Luciuos's hand with less than .5 seconds left. Translation: they didn't get the shot off in 6.5 seconds.

Go ahead and attack me for pointing this out. But it's the truth.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 22, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: restonhoops | March 22, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Reston, you are an absolute moron and anything but a Maryland basketball fan. You have spewed more anti-Gary nonsense on this blog than Poopy, Petecard, and all the other Gary-haters combined. You've also spewed outright lies (Your ludicrous claims that every MVC AD offered home and aways with Gary and he didn't return any of their calls to name just one example).

Ah nevermind...give me 2 minutes, I'll just find Restonhoops greatest hits.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Those days aren't coming back. Gary seems unwilling to even acknowledge the importance of recruiting. I'll be shocked if this years team makes the tourney which will be 4 out of 5 for those keeping count at home. In most programs that consider themselves major that would be grounds for moving in another direction.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 17, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I say hats off to all he has accomplished, now its time for a new young buck to come in and build on what Lefty and Gary have built to take us to the next level. Sean Miller and Jeff Capel are two great candidates.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 17, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Barno I am a fan of MD not a fan of Gary Williams. Gary is NOT bigger than the program, he maybe for you, but for me MD the program comes first. Gary is not getting the job done.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 17, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Keeping checking ESPN every day to see if we ever make it off the "bubble". So that will be 4 out of 5 years FOGs. Please tell me what program that considers itself even a top 50 program that went 4 out of 5 years missing the dance without a coaching change.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 18, 2009 2:24 PM

Gary is a joke. He needs to take his watch, let us name the floor after him and go drink beer and eat chicken wings with the co-eds in Ocean City and let someone else take over the program.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 12, 2009 3:20 PM

Posted by: Barno1 | March 22, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Barno and his blaming anyone but Gary the God and this disappointing underachievinvg team for the loss. Still want to s*ck on GV's balls Barno after that choking performance? Hahahaha!

Just got back from Washington, quite a drive but well worth it. I thought we would lose but didn't think we'd give such a half-*ssed effort out there. My seats were great, right behind the basket 20 rows up. From there I could see Gary's sweatsoaked pits and hear his childish cursing at his own team. Maybe if Gary the god focused more on gameplanning and stopping the Spartans from getting wide open three pointers, we'd have won the game. But hell, we were lucky to have even been there considering we probably should have lost to Houston on friday.

A very disappointing end to another mediocre at best season. Sweet 16 eludes this Terps team again, sad that many of you are willing to accept this as some kind of great success.

But wait, next year we'll be national champs right fellow terps fans?

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | March 22, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, you are nothing but a joke to all of the people on this blog. I have never commented on here but have been reading for months. I felt the need to register just to tell you how much you are hated around here. You are a worthless moron and a miserable human being.

Posted by: jimmberg | March 22, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

There might be about a .5 second delay with the clock starting, but I think the 3 left Lucious's hand with about .8 seconds left.

Posted by: acebojangles | March 22, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The other thing is it went from 6.4 to 6.5 after the bucket. For some reason they added a tenth of a second right before the ball was inbounded.

To be fair, the clock did not stop immediately after Vasquez's shot went through the bucket. Probably a full second elapsed. But since MSU did not call a timeout, it couldn't be reviewed and thus the clock operator should have started the clock the moment the ball was inbounded--but didn't.

I'd like Comcast Sportsnet or the Post, just for peace of mind's sake, to time the final play.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 22, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

hey barno I've posted a link to CBS Sports confirmation on the MVC in the past. Sorry but 7 years and no Sweet16 is just not a major program. Gary is a good coach. He is just not a good salesman for the program. Maybe he is for boosters like you and you get to caddy for him, but not for kids from Tidewater-Baltimore.

Posted by: restonhoops | March 22, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh and BTW in 09 we were on the bubble right to the end and just got in at the end. You can praise Gary all you want about doing it the right way and I'm sure all the major coaches will because they know that's someone they don't have to compete with out on the recruiting trail. When we don't make the Sweet 16 for the 8th straight year next year will you still be telling me how great everything is?

Posted by: restonhoops | March 22, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Next years "great" recruiting class is ranked 6th. That's pretty good 6th in the country. No try 6th in the ACC. In fairness Gary will coach them up more than the rest of the bozos in the ACC, but I would imagine some of that has to change soon. VA made a solid change. Miami, NC State, Wake, Clemson, and GT all need new coaches as well. The ACC has become a joke. As I predicted only one ACC team made the Sweet 16 and I don't know if it will be a whole lot better next year depending on early defections.

Posted by: restonhoops | March 22, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't know Barno. I watched the replay a few times and the final shot seems legit - time wise. I think the fact that Terps had a season low 24 rebounds and allowed MiSt 42 is a far more damaging stat than a lost tenth of a second or even a half second. Great comeback by Terps and nice shot by Lucious to win it. Let it go.

Posted by: erniegogo | March 22, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Of course the rebound hurt. As did the open 3s. And it was a great shot at the end. But I'm just surprised no one noticed the thing with the clock not starting. At the very least, it would have needed a long review by the refs had the clock started...but I do think there's a decent chance the play lasted longer than 6.5 seconds from start to finish.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 22, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

As for Restonhoops, I don't know how many times I have to post this before you get it through your skull, but I'll keep doing it every time you keep posting your nonsense about Gary's recruiting:

Sean Mosley was the Baltimore player of the year in 2007/08. Vasquez, out of Montrose Christian in Rockville, was just named ACC Player of the Year. Rockville and Baltimore are in the state of Maryland aren't they?

But honestly, who cares where the recruits come from? Only recruiting geeks care. Should Gary have not recruited Jordan Williams because he came from Connecticut? Should we have not have brought DJ Strawberry to MD because he was from Cali?

THE BOTTOM LINE IS GARY HAS HAD TOP 25 RECRUITING CLASSES IN 7 OF THE LAST 10 YEARS (including likely next year's incoming class) and including 2 top 5 classes. The ONLY 3 years in which he didn't have a top 25 recruiting class were the 3 years in which he had only 1 scholarship available (Gist in 2004, Neal in 2005, Mosley in 2008).

I seem to recall the recruiting geeks complaining about a few afterthought recruits named Juan Dixon, Lonnie Baxter, and Joe Smith. They weren't top tier enough for them. I'm sorry, my memory is a little hazy, how did those guys turn out?

Posted by: Barno1 | March 22, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Poop,

Your pathetic imposter, hyphen Poop, has reared his pitiful head, again!

Posted by: larry31 | March 22, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Poop, I call shenanigans. You're trying to tell us that you drove from Spokane to Los Angeles in the span between the end of the game and now? Perhaps for those who don't live on the West Coast that sounds plausible. However, I'm pretty sure that you didn't drive 22 straight hours just to post here. Better luck next lie fellow "Terps fan".

Posted by: andreic | March 22, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Maryland made one heck of a run to even have the game finish as it did. I absolutely loved this team's heart and ability to play together as a team. Unfortunately we were on the wrong end of the.outcome yesterday but we should understand because we have been fortunate to win games in the last second of a tourney game. As much as I love being a Maryland fan I am willing to give Michigan state props because they did what they had to do to win the game at the end. It hurts we lost but this was one of my favorite terp teams to watch. Next year might be hard to handle with all the youth but who knows maybe we surprise again. Looking forward to see what Gary does with all the youngsters.

Posted by: Nemo4 | March 22, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Reston and Barno,

Can we all agree that these high school recruiting "experts" are a buch of geeks that shouldn't be listened to?

J. Will was ranked lower than 95th for incoming freshman. I am glad GW and his staff don't pay attention to rankings.

I agree with Reston that the Terps won't be as strong as this year's team...experienced guard play is huge and AB and CT won't be able to replace GV and EH. However, I will give my take on next year's class:

Pe' Shon Howard: a shorter, more muscular version of Greivis Vasquez with a 3.6 high school gpa. Like GV and JJ Redick, smart cocky kids make great college ball players.

Terrill Stoglin: Major GW-style chip on his shoulder for being ignored by Lute Olson and told Sean Miller to get lost when he tried to recuit him after he had verbally committed to MD. Sorta like Stephon Curry (probably not as good)

Ashton Pankey: An absolute defensive and rebounding monster who was going to be a huge recruiting steal until he did not play his senior year due to injury. Have to wait and see how much this injury affects his development.

Mychal Parker: The most athletic of the bunch...could be Mike Jones. Not sold on him yet. I will reserve judgement until the fall.

Haukur Paulson (sp?): the kid from Iceland. Could be Mike Grinnon or Darius Songaila. He is slow and not very athletic (but so is GV), but has good court awreness and fundamentals.

All will be better the Jin-Soo Choi-Kim and Braxton Dupree. I agree with Reston that these recruiting busts (as well as Goins) will have their most significant impacts next year.

I am still high on Padgett. I am very happy with J-will and Padge as a recruiting class. I think next year's will be even better.

Looking forward to next year! I am very excited to see the five freshman coming in next year.

Posted by: larry31 | March 22, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think that Raymar Morgan will ever play a game again without a mouthpeice? What camera work to see the tooth fly out of his mouth like it did. Also when will the NCAA hold coaches accountable for infractions committed at other schools? I am so tired of these coaches (Calipari) getting away with a bunch of crap and moving on only to have the teams they left take all the infractions while the ex-coach walks away free. Calipari deserves to be banned from college basketball. I am sure once he leaves Kentucky they will have some type of sanctions placed on them just like UMass and Memphis did when he left those schools.

Posted by: Nemo4 | March 22, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

--------------
Poop,

Your pathetic imposter, hyphen Poop, has reared his pitiful head, again!

Posted by: larry31"
--------------

Sad effin' phony. Go dookies!

Posted by: MikeKrzyzewski | March 22, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, now that Duke is the sole ACC rep left, I guess the onus is on the anus.

Posted by: booger1 | March 22, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Congrats all around. They played like a team, up or down - with passion and conviction. They never "promised us a rose garden" but they always delivered full force, exciting basketball. to me they had an over-abundance of what GTown lacked - Leadership and Teamwork. So fun to watch.

Posted by: Tom1 | March 22, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

As a long time Terp guy, I do not look forward to the day that Gary steps down. The guy gets more out of his talent than anyone in the game. Does he bring in the type of talent that Lefty did? No. Not even close, and I loved watching all of that talent on the floor for all of those years, but it never took us as far as Gary has. It's well documented that he doesn't play the recruiting games that others do. Some of the blue chippers want to be treated special and a lot of them certainly do not want to be coached, so the heck with them. But if you really want to come out of school as a much, much better basketball player than you went in, like Grevis, or Juan Dixon, or Lonnie Baxter then he'll find a home for you. You are the man, Gary, and Grevis might be the best clutch guy we've ever had. Don't count the Terps out for next year either.

Posted by: Sonny9 | March 22, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Larry, thanks for the scouting report on next year's guys. I definitely agree with your comment about recruiting "experts" being geeks who are often wrong about what they're supposed to be experts in: projecting how a player will turn out at the next level. No one really knows...but I'm constantly amazed that after ALL these years and ALL the countless examples of diamonds in the rough from lower tiered recruits and busts from some very highly touted recruits, some simpleton fans still criticize Gary's recruiting. IT really never ceases to amaze me.

Do they want more top 5 classes like the 2002 group that went to back to back NITs? Why not just trust a legendary coach who has an amazing track record of finding slightly less heralded players that fit his particular style and system and getting the best out of them?

Posted by: Barno1 | March 22, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Sonny9,

I agree. GV is the most clutch MD player I have ever seen. The last two minutes of the MSU game will go down as bittersweet moment of MD b-ball lore.

Barno,

I forgot to mention that losing Terrence Ross was just cutting bait sooner rather than later. If he couldn't focus sufficiently on academics at Montrose Christian, then he woulda had problems at MD. I am not sure he will be eligible to play anywhere next year. Yikes!

BTW, thanks for appreciating my views even though I am not gung-ho about every recruit.

Posted by: larry31 | March 22, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

larry31, Barno,

No doubt GV was clutch yesterday and throughout this season. Agree with larry's comment on Terence Ross - likely a blessing that he is not coming. Also, nice call by larry on fake-Poopy rearing his ugly head again. I don't usually bash others on the board, but fake-posters are always unwanted.

Agree completely with Barno on GW - would prefer seeing talent develop and stay over one-and-dones. I am bullish on the team's prospects for next season with the assumption that among Stoglin, Howard, Bowie and Moseley, an effective PG emerges.
Personnally, I would really like to see Goins play and Burney come back. And to think we still have a scholarship to give if needed. Don't know why, but I believe GW has something up his sleeve - a Juco player perhaps - that will take up that last slot.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 22, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

HGR - twice today you referenced Burney in your posts. You must have missed Senior Night when he was honored, along with Landon, Eric, and Greivis as a graduating senior. I believe he has exhausted his eligibility and will not be in a Terps uniform next year.

Still bummed about the way yesterday's game ended, but overall - SUPER PROUD TO BE A TERP!

Posted by: TerpGrad | March 22, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

What a tremendous comeback! Who would've thought a team could rally from 16 points down in the 2nd half and take the lead? That comeback illustrated the personality of this team and its coach -- fighting until the very end.

While disappointed in yesterday's game result, I'm very proud of this team for its accomplishments. After a troublesome start in non-conference play that included losses to a couple of inferior opponents --Cincinnati and William and Mary -- the Terps emerged and took the ACC by storm. They enjoyed stellar guard play, strong leadership and a renewed inside game, thanks to stellar freshman, Jordan Williams.

I would like to tip my hat to the fine seniors who are graduating, including Eric Hayes, Greivis Vasquez and Landon Millbourne. I wish them all the best in their future endeavors. I would also like to welcome the fine young recruits Coach Williams has brought in for 2010-11.

Best,

Posted by: Terptwin | March 22, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Actually TerpGrad-

Burney has at least one season of eligibility remaining - but is squarely on track to graduate this May. He came in with GV, EH & LM (certainly with more hype than LM, if not more than EH & GV) and was injured so a redshirt was burned. Same for Goins. Burney also may qualify for the additional medical redshirt if the NCAA decides to - if he ends up in a graduate program, they are very likely to grant it as opposed to taking more undergrad coursework for the sake of staying and playing. In terms of Burney, I can't believe that he would not want to play - he never did get a chance. It is more of a matter of whether life will allow him to play - i.e. no more scholarship, degree in hand, entering the workforce vs. another year as a student. If he can play (from a health perspective) then euro-ball may be an option for him. But without ever playing, then I think he enters the grind like most of the rest of us. So....any alum who doesn't encourage him to play is crazy. Live poor for a year but still have a chance at the dream. I know nothing else about his personal life - does he have kids? a wife? other encumbrances? He got done in four which is better than average for a Terrapin. Whether he wants to get out in four is entirely up to him.

Sometimes the diamonds in the rough are right in front of our noses. Len Bias was one of those - scholarship granted based on community relations and likelihood of graduating (he went to Northwestern and had good grades, but was never considered even a sleeper as a prospect).

But as JPF will attest, my mancrush is saved for Steve Goins - a back to the basket 5. This team can compensate for the loss of experienced and talented guard play with an influx of bigs that can contribute. We have two potential incremental bigs in Goins and Burney that take no recruiting effort. Replacing GV and EH - not going to be immediate. And as absolututely endearing as this last team was, they truly lacked in the rebounding department. Maybe my hopes of finding the big man in CP already are a pipe-dream, but so was winning the ACC championship at the beginning of the season. All we need is health (for Goins) and hunger (for Burney).

I believe that if Burney requires a scholarship, they would take it away from Pearman.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 23, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Many good comments and most are predictable as I suppose you will find mine to be as well.

HughG must be the nicest guy on this site and I agreed with much of his analysis. Glad you are here so regularly HughG and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Reston, as is often the case, said it so well I don't have much to add. Of course Garo attacked him and called him names and made excuses for the loss... so what else is new and is there anything more boring than his reposts. Our Thought Police Chief!

Larry tried to see something of value in opposing views and we could use a few people like you on Capitol Hill, Larry.

I loved rooting for our team this year and Gary did his usual excellent coaching job. It was a fun team to watch and GV put his mark on the Program.

But I am left with this nagging, irritating hangover: We need more and better talent and WE HAVE NOT BEEN TO A SWEET 16 IN 7 YEARS!!!

Posted by: petecard | March 23, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, and then there is Poopy. I'm pretty much in his camp on his views about the program and GW. He is in a little different (not better or worse place than me in other respects) and I enjoy his humor very much.

But enough on the Simpsons, guys.

Posted by: petecard | March 23, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

What did I say, Petecard was positioning himself at the end of the regular season to be able to come back here and whine about talent and Gary's recruiting and not going further in the tourney if that ended up happening.

Thanks for being your predictable, moronic self Petecard. Anything you think you can use against Gary to call for his firing you will. Oh yeah, talent was the real issue right? Not like we had 3 seniors who had combined for 4500+ points in the best conference in America these last 4 years, right? Not like one of them just won ACC Player of the Year, right? Not like we had a freshman center who was 2nd in the ACC rookie of the year voting, right? Not like we have a sophomore guard who was the Baltimore Player of the Year in 07/08, right?

I mean, not like all the facts are stacked against your arguments right?

Posted by: Barno1 | March 23, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Barno you are a joke. ACC the best conference over the last 4 years? We've had exactly one team advance past the Sweet 16 and that is North Carolina. Of course its about the talent unless you think Gary's a bad coach. We haven't been beyond the Round of 32 in 7 years. You know who is happy with results like that? Mid-majors and football schools not Top 20 programs. If Gary worked as hard off the court as on we wouldn't be in this shape. I'm not talking about getting the one and dones like Kentucky. Let's look at School A and School B

School A

2004 Elite Eight
2006 First Round
2007 Second Round
2008 Elite Eight
2009 Sweet Sixteen
2010 Sweet Sixteen

Who is school A and school B you ask? School A is Maryland and School B is the might traditional power of Xavier. Oh and this stretch where they make MD look bush league spans 3 coaches. So are you really going to sit there and tell us that there is no way for MARYLAND to outperform XAVIER! Hit the bricks pal and take Gary with you. I don't know Xavier, I'm no Xavier fan, but I will put money down today they progress further again next year in the tournament than MD.

Oh and BTW Barno. John Feinstein was on the the sports reporters on WTEM last night. He's a good friend of Gary's and probably almost plays as much golf with him as you do. He retold the Missouri Valley Conference story and confirmed that the coaches did call him and HE DID DUCK THE OFFERS of GAMES. So pipe down little boy.

Posted by: restonhoops | March 24, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

You want to play Team A Team B? I can play all day and its going to get ugly. A lot of MD fans are quite myopic of their world view of college hoops and I think they would be quite surprised to see how many schools and what schools are outperforming us over a long period of time. With GV and the other seniors gone its not getting any better next year, but wait until next year will become the familiar refrain.

Posted by: restonhoops | March 24, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Barno.....

Posted by: restonhoops | March 25, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

If you are going to play Team A vs. Team B, is there a reason you selected the last 8 years? Hmmm, I wonder why? Why not pick 9 or even 10? Yeah a decade.. that's good. That would shed a different light. You would not want to leave out a couple of critical data points would you?

It's not too hard to be selective with statistics to suit our agendas, right guys?

--No axe to grind, but thought this needed to be recognized.

Posted by: capecodterpfan | March 25, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Pete,

I agree that HGR is by far the nicest and most courteous TI commenter.

I have enjoyed discussing our opposing views and, like you, look forward to next season.

GW's recruiting: Lots of gaffes from 2003-2005, which reared its head in the 2006-2008 results. This lapse in recruiting coincides with a huge overturn in coaching staff. Recruiting has improved. I don't think it is reasonable to argue otherwise. But there are still more misses than we can afford (Goins, Choi, Depree). GW gets a pass on Burney because I think he was decent but for his injuries.

When thinking about the risk-benefits of replacing GW I always come to the same thought:

Look what happened to NC St. Herb Sendek went to the NCAA tourney 6 straight years! Not good enough for the fans who thought that NC St should be equal to Duke and UNC. El Sid replaces Sendek and the Pack has not sniffed an NCAA tourney birth since! The fans (and boosters) thought that the NC St job was very desirable until there were no takers and they had to settle for El Sid.

IF GW is forced out, many coaches will be reticient to take the job for fear of being ousted themselves and then we would have to "settle" for a 2nd tier coach.

I am not saying that we couldn't land the next coach K or Tom Izzo, but I think the scenario I described above is more likely.

BTW, Dr. Yow has "found" some extra money and GW's staff is now paid on a similar scale to that of Brenda Frese's staff who is celebrating a wonderful NIT run.

Posted by: larry31 | March 25, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Larry31 you are a voice of reason among the gary worshipers and I appreciate your measured thinking. I would disagree with a couple points.

First off Maryland with its location, history, facilities, conference affiliation, and fan base is a Top 10-20 job and certainly in any given offseason would probably be the top job or maybe the 2nd most coveted position. That means we can have our pick of assistants or mid-major coaches around the country.

Frankly NC State is not in that position. Also our recruiting is doing a little better, but that's mainly because MD has two back to back classes where most of our scholarships are so we always get a surge of players in that two year window. These players are still not the Top 50 type of players it takes to win and compete on a national basis.

In terms of the last 8 years. Yes dingdong (looking at CapeCodTerpFan) that is the time since our national championship. 8 years is a long time we're not talking about a 2 or three year blip anymore. Does anyone really think we're going to the Sweet 16 next year? Making the tournament is not even a given until we see how these players perform. I think we are in real trouble at the point guard position. Our in coming freshman weaknesses that I've read are that he's 5-11 155 pounds and while not slow not super quick either. Doesn't sound like a good combination for the ACC, but let's see what happens on the court.

So net net I don't think anyone can really justify the performance of MD over the last 8 years and I think its safe to prejudge and include next year and say 9 years of at best very mediocre performance. The longer this goes on it makes our 3-4 year run of good results (99-02) look like an out of place blip on Gary's resume.

Posted by: restonhoops | March 26, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

So, 2001-2002 is "an out of place blip"? Call it what you will. The point is that while Final Fours and National Champions are the ultimate goal, not many have them on their resumes.

Perhaps, as already pointed out, the great success of the 09-02 seasons brought recognition to the program, thus opportunity for the assistant coaching staff, which led to turnover in the staff. This would adversely effect the recruiting and other aspects of the program. This situation has been stabilized, and perhaps this is why things appear better.

Look, this years gutsy team lost to a gritty MSU team on a 3pt shot with less than half a second on the clock. I'm not the only Terp fan with a mild case of the "What if's". That's the nature of the tournament. I suppose I do feel a lot better than KY fans, who must be wondering how they did not get it done with a team loaded with NBA level talent.

One other thought. You seem like a reasonably intelligent person, and are able to assimilate many pieces of information to bring this forum. You only bring your self down a peg or two when you resort to "name calling". It doesn't bother me, because I'm secure in who I am and what I believe. I am only saying this to you and anyone else one this forum that if you want people to consider your ideas and opinions, then respect will serve you well (see HGR for a role model).

Posted by: capecodterpfan | March 29, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse