Quick Michigan State quotes after win over Maryland in NCAA tournament

Tom Izzo
With two minutes left, I told my team, we are going to win this game and it will be one of the biggest wins in history of Michigan State.

Korie had the weight of the world on his shoulders because everyone was coming after him.

We beat a very, very well coached team and a great player in Vasquez.

Draymond Green
When a team pressures you like they did second half, I wouldn’t call it exhausting, but it gets frustrating and it wears you down.

Korie Lucious
I knew I had to step my role up (when Kalin Lucas went down). It was devastating when I saw Kalin go down, and I knew I had to step my role up.

We always preach about family. When Kalin went down, we all rallied around him. After the game, we all celebrated together and I told him, ‘I’ve got your back.’

By Eric Prisbell  |  March 21, 2010; 5:09 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NCAA tournament 2010: Lucas starts, Allen does not
Next: Maryland's season ends with 85-83 loss to Michigan State

Comments

Great Win Spartans!!! Can a Terp Rebound???

Posted by: arlvatom1 | March 21, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Congrads Terps..Great season sorry it ended this way...

One question??? Who was guarding the shooter?? Bowie was so out of position and why was haynes not in the game for d..

Next yr will be tough..bowie is no point guard... Dino needs to improve his game..Mosley will be a stud..Williams will dominate..We just need that missing link

Posted by: carolina1 | March 21, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh well. Anybody but Duke.

Posted by: erniegogo | March 21, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow what a game.

Gotta love barno too. Instead of blaming the loss on the Terps for digging themselves a whole he blames me and resorts to his typical childish namecalling.

There's something sad about someone who is around 30 years old and hurls around juvenile insults, over trhe internet mind you.

But if it makes you feel like a big man and makes you feel better than sure blame the loss on me. Of course I'm sure if we were to ever meet up all your juvenile insults wouldn't actually be uttered. Which says something.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 21, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

The Heimlich maneuver was applied too late and could not save this team from CHOKING.

They lost to an undermanned team missing its best player.

It was MSU that rose to the occasion while the Terps underwhelmed.

Very very very disappointing end to a season that had high hopes.

Posted by: p1funk | March 21, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Poopy blaming the loss on you was so obvious a joke a 4 year old could have recognized that. But of course, as you've demonstrated time and time again, you lack the intelligence of a 4 year old.

As for childish namecalling, if you'd like I would be happy to dig up dozens if not hundreds of your namecalling greatest hits. Everyone who reads this blog knows that contradicting yourself is nothing new for you Poop, but you complaining about namecalling is just about as hypocritical as it gets guy. Go ahead, try again to make a relevant point...you've been trying for over a year now and still haven't made one.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 21, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

As for who the real blame belongs to in this game, you'd be hard pressed to find another example of refs missing more out of bounds calls and more 5 second violations in a single game. I counted 3 five-sec violations they missed and 4 incorrectly called out of bounds plays in the FIRST HALF.

The terps fought hard to overcome the refs, but it wasn't in the cards. Give MSU credit for the big shot, but it shouldn't have come down to that. If the game had been calling correctly, MD would have won by double digits. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 21, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Barno - were these ACC refs, or do refs nationwide participate in the conspiracy to make Maryland lose games? MD was lucky to be that close - helped by a couple of injuries and those (cursed) refs that you hate so much allowing MD to mug in the press.

Posted by: miken1984 | March 21, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I watched portions of the game and one common theme kept coming up: Second chance points. It seemed that the Terps would be one and done, while the Spartans seemed to get two or three shots at a FG. I don't know if they track Second chance points, but I am guessing that was as big a culpret as anything in this game.

Posted by: TimDz | March 21, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Poopy,
As along as your alive abortion will be legal. You are a joke as a person and your mother should have done us a favor and finished the job. One day maybe you will learn about the game of basketball but until that day just shut up and go back under your rock.

Posted by: scarffjd | March 21, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Woah

Posted by: Barno1 | March 21, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Well scarffjd you know what Kang says, "Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others."

Gotta love blaming the refs too. Cause getting destroyed on the boards and giving up who knows how many second chance points didn't play a factor. Nope not at all, it was all the refs fault.

That said this part of Washington is v ery pretty. Makes me think of Thoreau and Whitman. Also all the both Terp and Houston and Mich St fans have all been very nice.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 21, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

The Terps choked? Losing to a team that played in the national championship a year ago, drawing one of the toughest matchups in the tournament because of there size, and going to the buzzer, and that's a choke? MSU is headed for the Final Four. Maryland wasn't the most talented basketball team that we've seen, but they certainly came to play every game and GV is the MOST clutch guy we've ever had. That was a heartbreaker. Maybe the most heartbreaking ending since 1974.

Posted by: Sonny9 | March 21, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

The similarities between this season and 2007 are pretty striking.

-Both seasons led by a solid core group of experienced seniors (GV, EH, LM and Strawberry, Ibekwe, M. Jones)

-Both seasons had some doubts early on but both finished the regular season on a very high note (7 straight wins this year vs 5 straight in 07).

-Both seasons the teams unexpectedly slipped in the first round of the ACC tourney against a team we had previously beaten

-Both seasons the teams had relatively easy first round wins in the NCAA

-Both seasons we lost in the 2nd round in excruciatingly painful fashion (3 pt buzzer beater today vs a would-be 3 point buzzer beater in 07 that Mike Jones let slip through his hands)

I hope there is one big difference though, which remains to be seen. I am hopeful that the Gary-hating nutjobs don't forget about the success of this season as quickly as they did after the 07 season ended.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 21, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah and I bet you thought both seasons were just super? That's the sad thing about the Gary the God crowd, they think anything around .500 in the ACC and a round of 32 appearance in the NCAAS is something to write home about. Meanwhile, Gary gets another season extended on his contract and we are stuck with another year of this drunken coach.

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | March 22, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse