Vasquez named to all-ACC first team

Maryland senior guard Greivis Vasquez was one of three unanimous selections to the all-ACC first team, the conference announced Monday. Vasquez is the only player in the country averaging at least 18 points and six assists per game this season and is one of two players in ACC history to record 2,000 or more career points and 750 or more career assists.

Joining Vasquez on the all-ACC first team are Virginia Tech guard Malcolm Delaney and Duke guard Jon Scheyer, who were the other two unanimous selections. The all-conference first team was rounded out by Clemson forward Trevor Booker and Duke forward Kyle Singler.

Vasquez, who was named to the all-ACC second team the past two seasons, is averaging 19.6 points, 6.3 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game this season.

Here are the 2009-10 all-conference second and third teams:

Solomon Alabi, Florida State
Gani Lawal, Georgia Tech
Dorenzo Hudson, Virginia Tech
Joe Trapani, Boston College

By Steve Yanda  |  March 8, 2010; 1:59 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland to play in 2010 Coaches vs. Cancer Classic
Next: Jordan Williams selected to all-ACC rookie team

Comments

The voters did not consider Landesberg's academic standing? Where is the teamwork. FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP44 | March 8, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, noticeable absence of Terps. Just for comparison purposes:

Player A
11ppg, 4apg, 50% FG%, 86 FT%, 45% 3pt%, 2.4/1 A/TO

Player B
10ppg, 7rpg, 41 FG, 50 FT, 31 3pt

Player A is Hayes, Player B is All-ACC 3rd Team Singleton. Hayes has better stats and played for the ACC Champions.

Not sure I understand this one.

Regardezzi
Fushezzi

Posted by: fushezzi | March 8, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I also don't understand the omission of Hays if Singleton is picked

Poopy_McPoop

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 8, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I noticed a week ago that Hayes doesn't take enough shots to be considered in the league wide player rankings for some categories in which he would have dominant statistics (such as 3-pt%). Considering he his ppg is nevertheless competitive, I think this showcases his shot selection, but it may be part of why other players were considered ahead of him.

Posted by: Patera | March 8, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

So dookies on the first team with another on the second team....GV better win POY. EH got screwed - he'll show them in the tourney.

Look ma - no tar Heels!

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 8, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Typical ACC bias in favor of Duke ... twice as many first team players as Maryland, three times as many selected overall, yet both teams had the same conference record. If the Terps are really so inferior to the Dookies in terms of talent, that tells me Gary Williams REALLY deserves COY honors since he's playing with "garbage" relative to Duke and accomplishing the pretty much the same, at least as measured by conference record. If I hear anyone else say what a fabulous coach Coach K is I think I'm going to throw up. Gary Williams almost annually accomplishes what Duke does (e.g. same number of national titles as Duke in the past decade) with a fraction of the talent. Yet Coach K is the one who walks on water. Baloney!

Posted by: Rational_Man | March 8, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rational_Man | March 8, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I swear Puke must be the "Pimp" of the ACC...

Posted by: ENJOYA | March 8, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

LOL at everyone crying Duke media bias here. I'm a Terp fan and agree the media can be biased towards the Dookies but if you follow ACC basketball at all, you would know that Scheyer, Singler, and Nolan Smith are all very deserving of all ACC teams. As for the Terps, you could make an argument for Hayes to be third team and that's it, but even he is not really a big ommission.

The big three from Duke are very, very good, they just get very thin quickly beyond those three guys.

Tomorrow, expect Vasquez to walk away with ACC Player of the Year and Gary as Coach of the Year. If those things don't happen, then you can all gripe.

Posted by: elowe2 | March 8, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

GV should win POY (if he doesn't I'm punching John Swofford in the neck). GW should get COY...Um, JW got 1 LESS POINT than Favors for ALL-Rookie 1st team...A clean sweep?

Posted by: akin365 | March 8, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Love Jordan Williams! Completely eviscerated everyone's expectations. However, I don't see him beating out Favors for ROY. I still like having JW more seeing as how Favors will be gone to the NBA next season while JW continues to get even better with the Terps.

Posted by: elowe2 | March 8, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

LOL at elowe2 denying the media isn't biased in favor of Duke. I don't disagree with his assessment of this year's all conference selections ... I admit to being biased and to having a difficult embracing anything that's pro-Duke. But to say they don't get the benefit of the doubt, at least from the national media, is ridiculous. Simple example: mama's boy Jason Williams being selected POY in 2002 over Juan Dixon. The OVERRATED chanted was INVENTED in response to Duke's kid glove treatment by the media.

Posted by: Rational_Man | March 8, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Only one player from Maryland. I'm such an idiot for being so surprised at this obvious dook bias. I call BULLSH*T

Posted by: TheMarylander | March 8, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

"LOL at everyone crying Duke media bias here. I'm a Terp fan and agree the media can be biased towards the Dookies but if you follow ACC basketball at all, you would know that Scheyer, Singler, and Nolan Smith are all very deserving of all ACC teams."
Posted by: elowe2

"LOL at elowe2 denying the media isn't biased in favor of Duke. I don't disagree with his assessment of this year's all conference selections "
Posted by: Rational_Man

LOL at people not actually reading other people's posts, complaining and then completely agreeing with everything they said. Duke has three players that carry the team, Maryland has one with a lot of fairly equal support.

Posted by: Dancy1 | March 8, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Do I remember this correctly? In 2002, didn't Juan win ACC POY yet Jason williams won national POY?

Posted by: H1Dynasty | March 8, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

H1Dynasty - you are correct, Juan was ACC POY and Williams was National POY. I originally thought the other way around, but the infamous Barno corrected me. Either way, Juan should have swept the awards.

As for this year, the All-ACC teams seem about right to me. Vasquez better be POY and Gary COY or I might go insane. Vasquez has led the Terps to the title. Scheyerface had tons of help and had worse stats. Add the recent game at Comcast and game at VT and that equals POY to Vaz. For coach of the year, Gary was picked 5th pre-season and the Terps won the title. If Duke had won the title at 15-1 or maybe even 14-2 then there's a case, but that didn't happen.

Having said all that, the ACC is so pro-NC that I can see Maryland getting the shaft.

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | March 8, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, noticeable absence of Terps. Just for comparison purposes:

Player A
11ppg, 4apg, 50% FG%, 86 FT%, 45% 3pt%, 2.4/1 A/TO

Player B
10ppg, 7rpg, 41 FG, 50 FT, 31 3pt

Not sure I understand this one.

Regardezzi
Fushezzi

Posted by: fushezzi | March 8, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Jordan Williams or Derrick Favors definitely should've had that spot over Singleton.

Posted by: wis193 | March 9, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse