Greivis Vasquez: Terps face 'no pressure' against Duke

Tomorrow night's contest at Comcast Center between No. 22 Maryland and No. 4 Duke should be wild, to say the least. It will be senior night for the accomplished trio of Greivis Vasquez, Landon Milbourne and Eric Hayes. It will be a chance for the Terrapins to beat Duke for the first time in seven tries. It will be an opportunity for Maryland to keep alive its hopes of claiming a regular season ACC championship.

Oh, and did we mention it will be Vasquez's senior night and that the opponent is Duke? Just thought it would be appropriate to re-emphasize that point.

Anyway, even though the game will feature the ACC's two top teams and even though the Terrapins will be looking to atone for a 21-point loss they suffered in Durham on Feb. 13, Vasquez tried to keep things simple in his discussion with reporters Friday.

"At the end of the night it’s going to be one team happy," Vasquez said. "And we don’t have no pressure. Pressure is, you know, what is different? I don’t see any pressure. I think all we got to do is play our game, compete and try to win the game. Obviously we’re playing against a good team, and we just got to play our game, Maryland basketball, and we’ll see what happens."

The last time these two teams squared off, Duke jumped out to an early lead thanks in large part to a 25-6 run in the first half. Maryland struggled to keep up on the boards and handle Blue Devils center Brian Zoubek. They also committed 14 turnovers and only was able to force Duke to commit seven.

Vasquez, who tallied 17 points on 7 of 12 shooting that day, said he believes the outcome will be different this time around.

"Well, I thought we started out sloppy that game," Vasquez said. "I think the huge key for tomorrow’s game is just get ready to play. You know, they’re not going to beat us by 20. It’s not going to be like that. And I could be wrong. I can’t gurantee you that. But I don’t think they’re going to beat us by 20. It’s going to be a tough game. It’s our last game, our senior night, me, Landon and Eric. And I doubt something wrong will happen, but you know, I’m not God. I can’t really tell you anything that is not in my control. Tomorrow is going to be such a good day just to play basketball. That’s the way I look at it. Let’s play some ball."

By Steve Yanda  |  March 2, 2010; 4:07 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Catching up with Duke (deluxe edition)
Next: Brian Zoubek and the rebounding battle

Comments

Basketboll been vedy vedy good to me.

go terps. f duke.

Posted by: dovelevine | March 2, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Greivis is right, he's not god. Gary is god. Right!?!?!?!

Also, it's good to see that Barno is back to his old copy/paste antics over on The Bog (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/03/greenberg_vasquez_is_acc_playe.html)

It's funny because barno himself said all he wanted was for petecard to admit he was wrong about Vasquez, petecard does just that, and yet Barno still continues his old, tired act.

As I said over there, I'm surprised PETA hasn't contacted Barno yet over the matter of beating a dead horse.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 2, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I second that!
go terps. f duke.

Posted by: bbachrac | March 2, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

barno was calling people out for the gtown over md talk on the bog. i dont think petecard was involved. and he even called me out, and we are friends.

you got nothing on this one poopy

Posted by: jpfterps | March 2, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 2, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

i just laughed out loud!!!

but i think that could be said about alot of bloggers and their points...

Posted by: deadskin | March 2, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

GV has come a long way. He must have read my post under Catching Up with Duke. His attitude is exactly what I was hoping for...

Posted by: petecard | March 2, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | March 2, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

You know petecard I was kinda thinking the same thing. When I saw the "Greivis Vasquez" Terps face 'no pressure' against Duke" headline I initially thought "wow what's he gonna say now."

Was nice seeing a more mature attitude here.

Deadskin, glad you liked my PETA line.

JPFterps, I just don't get it. Petecard admits a mistake, which is all that Barno said he wanted, and yet he still posts old quotes of petes. I mean, I went over there initally to see the Stein's take on the whole Wilbon/Ovie thing, than click on the Vasquez post of his and all the comments are nothing but more of barno's copy/pasting. If mean if you're gonna say all you wanted was for pete to admit a mistake and he does so, shouldn't you let it go a that point instead of yet again rehashing old quotes?

Just my 2 cents.

Can't wait to actually meet some of you all tomorrow.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 2, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

go duke.

not our best team by a long shot, but just might have enough to get it done.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | March 2, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

GV for ACC POY!!! F*** DOOK!

Posted by: TheMarylander | March 2, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely HUGE game on deck at Comcast. I, of course, will be enjoying another 70 degree day out here, but wish I could be freezing my biscuits off at Bentley's. My 3 keys:

1) Zoubek (can't believe I'm typing this). The guy killed us at Cameron but he has been much better at home than on the road. In conference games, he's had 3 games where he's had double-digit rebounds, all at home. On the road, he gets in foul trouble; at home Teddy Valentine and the crew let him run roughshod. Box him out, get him in foul trouble and limit his influence. I think he's leading the league in DQ's for foul trouble. Don't let this guy get confortable on our court.

2) FG percentage. The dirty little secret in the ACC this year is that Duke doesn't shoot the ball well. In conference games, they're shooting 41.7% (T-7th best) and allowing 41.7% (T-6). (Superpowers like Miami, BC and Wake are all better). Contrast that with Maryland--shooting 46.3% (1st) and allowing 39.7% (2nd). With that disparity, the only ways Duke can win is through extra possessions (turnovers, rebounds, FT attempts). FTs should be even (come on, we're at home). Can we control the ball, can we protect the glass? If so, they can't out-execute us in the half court.

3) The final 36 minutes. The Comcastle is going to be electric from 8:45 to 9:10. Then what??? Can GV keep himself under control? Will LM contribute? Will Hayes go 3-4 from 3, 6-8 or 1-5? Bench guys typically play better at home--does this mean that Cliff Tucker gets 14 pts in 16 mins, or does he get 7 points on 3-8 shoooting?

Wear Red, Be Loud!!!

"No one, and I mean no one, comes into our house and pushes us around."--Norman Dale

Posted by: PeteinAZ | March 2, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

No more petecard (C&Ps) Cut and Pastes. He admitted he was wrong. Let it go.

A couple other notes. I don't think Duke does see this as a must win game. They could lose both of their remaining game and still likely win the ACC. That being said, Coach K, being the miserable game coach his is, will run all 7 players in his rotation into the ground these final two meaningless games and they will have no legs once again in the NCAA's. Duke could lose both games, go deep in the ACC tourny (and likely win it) and still wind up with a 2 seed - which is likely what they'd get at this point anyway. Until Coach K goes to a deeper rotation (at least in terms of meaningful minutes) or stop running his players into the ground, you will not see Duke make noise in the NCAA's.

What a senior class
GV- one of the top 5 players ever at UMD, if not top 3.

EH- having an under the radar year and i like it. who shoots 50% from 3 on a top 25 team and goes unnoticed nationally? A HUGE reason we are where we are.

LM- THE key to us making any noise in the tournament. Teams are going to focus on GV and we need a #2 option that is going to make them pay. LM, in my opinion, will be the most important Terp in the tournament. If he doesn't show up, we get bounced early. I think he shows up and we go deep.

Posted by: fushezzi | March 3, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

They could lose both of their remaining game and still likely win the ACC
----------------------------

CORRECTION
They could lose this game and still likely win the ACC.

(8am postings are Subject to change)

Posted by: fushezzi | March 3, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

It seems too good to be true but I think this years Terps have some stardust sprinkled on them. BEAT DUKE!

Posted by: tojo45 | March 3, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the comments guys, but Garo can do what he wants. I actually got a kick out of the one's on The Bog. GV did prove me wrong from last year. I wasn't alone there. But my comments earlier in the year were on target. He got off to a pretty bad start and so did the team. Who wasn't worried? Look how long it took us to get back up after all those losses to the strength of our non-conference schedule.

I will say, I am not much of a C&P guy. I think people show who they are and how they think over time and I would rather deal with that than with their predictions and opinions that prove to be right or wrong. Having said that, I don't mind being reminded of my mistakes nearly as much as I mind being taken out of context.

As for the game, besides seeing how the boys deal with the emotion and energy tonight, the most interesting thing to see will be GW's game plan. Will he change the starting line-up (I think not)? How will he focus the guys on defense? What will his substitution patterns be? Of course if GV takes over it almost doesn't matter...

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

My comments are simple: I hate Dook.

GO TERPS!!!

Posted by: cbmuzik | March 3, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Well, Petecard finally gets it, though it's not surprising to anyone that Poopy still does not. There is nothing "malicious" about quoting people who trashed Gary and Greivis. It's all in good fun.

And Poopy, I am not singling out Petecard at all anymore. Even though it took him a long time to realize it, he has admitted he was wrong, and I'm glad he did...so I won't be singling him out anymore. But you can't seriously expect me not to quote ANY of his comments when I'm quoting anyone and everyone who trashed Gary/Greivis on these blogs. In fact, I tried not to quote most of his stuff, but a few slipped in there on the bog:

Hope you understand...again, it's all in good fun.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Garo, I don't think most people think your C&P jobs are "good fun." That's not to say you don't have a right to do them. But the net effect of your approach is to put the hammer down on criticism. And there real is nothing wrong with crticism. If everyone only posted their undying devotion to all elements of the Maryland Basketball Program, this blog would be a huge bore. Think about it. Nobody wants to post someone's comments that predict winning and success when winning and success doesn't happen. Why? Because even the naysayers are bummed when things don't go well. WE ALL WANT THEM TO GO WELL. So blasting the cheerleaders like you is just plain boring.

But Garo, go ahead and do whatever you want. Because it takes all kinds. Just don't think that most people think it's "good fun."

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse