Who do you think the Terps will play?

Georgia Tech -- being planted firmly on the NCAA tournament bubble and all -- certainly needs a win in the ACC tournament more than does North Carolina. But the Tar Heels have won two of their past three games, so maybe they've begun to turn things around? Well, it's a thought anyway.

Maryland, as you know, will play the winner of Thursday's matchup between Georgia Tech and North Carolina, and I'm curious who you all think the Terrapins' quarterfinal opponent will be. Feel free to provide reasons for your selection in the comment section below.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 8, 2010; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When throwing your suit jacket is (and is not) acceptable
Next: Maryland will play Notre Dame at FedEx Field in 2011

Comments

Assuming GT wins with the bubble at stake (whereas UNC would need to win the tourney just to make the dance), I agree with others that GT is preferable to VT as our first opponent. Favors is a beast, no doubt. But now our guys have seen him up close and can prepare for him more intelligently. The blocking out has improved by JW and DG. Think we can limit his effectiveness and look to see further progression by JW in the tournament atmosphere.

ok, so these are my opinions and you are welcome to bash the. Winning the ACC tournament is a nice to have. Ranks somewhere ahead of getting to the Sweet 16 but way behind an FF....somewhat equivalent to getting to the Elite 8....maybe slightly behind an Elite 8 appearance. This team has exceeded expectations after some ealry season hiccups. Would love to see them win the ACC tourney, and losing in the ACC tourney, makes the ACC tourney forgettable for me. We've lost in the finals before and I can't recall which years we did. So the ACC tourney is kind of binary - either we win it all or we move on after a loss and forget about it.

At the Dance, winning two games can make a season successful - sweet 16, memorable - elite 8, great - FF, historic - Finals.

Winning the ACC tourney but losing in the first or second round of the dance would still equate to a memorable season in my book.

That said, I expect we will see the sweet 16 this year. GV & co have a few more surprises left up their sleeves.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 8, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

To be clear, I would call this season, with only one more win in the first round of the dance, respectable. I want a whole lot more than respectable though.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 8, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree. ACC Championship > Sweet Sixteen, but below Elite 8 or Final Four.

I expect Sweet Sixteen, but everything above that is gravy. I remember fondly our last ACC Championship, even if that team never fulfilled its promise in later years.

Posted by: Joran | March 8, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Obviously GT. No one in their right mind would say UNC after seeing that game on Sat. It was the absolutely worst performance I've seen by any team in the ACC all season, and it had nothing to do with dook being a better team.

Posted by: TheMarylander | March 8, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

man i thought beating duke and uva woudl get us closer to 15 in the rankings...like 16 or 17 at least...19th?!?! im a little disappointed...

gotta win the acc tourny to have any shot at a 3 seed i think...polls have been tough on us this year...

then again...not a lot of teams in front of us lost this past week...

championship week is big...

Posted by: deadskin | March 8, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd wager that Roy Williams already has a recruiting trip planned starting on Friday morning so he can get back to doing what he does best: sweet-talking 17 year old boys.

Posted by: cao091402 | March 8, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so as Duke leads UNC with about 11:45 to go by 33... here is a comment for Garo.

How is it possible for Roy Williams to have THIS BAD a team? As much as I have faulted GW for his bad recruiting...and he has deserved it.... Roy has NO excuse. He can get almost all the top guys he wants. What, didn't he need ANY guards this year?

Now I won't go nuts on a guy for one very, very bad year, but we NEVER had a year this bad. 6 years with not one trip to the Sweet 16 and missing the dance 3 times is terrible. But WTF is happening at Carolina this year?

The one time we could have used them it's almost like they go in the tank for Duke!

Posted by: petecard | March 6, 2010 10:37 PM

Petecard - Not sure why you are addressing Barno on this comment - I thought it should be for the whole board. The several times I have seen UNC play ACC games this season, they did not have any fight in them. No hustle whatsoever. That is a coaching issue. Forget about the talent in, we know they get the recruits in spades. I think there is something about All-Americans riding pine that contributes - remember how quickly Danny Miller was out of here when Mouton beat him out for his starting spot? They started strong, swooned big, but seemed to be getting back on track. Forget injuries and graduation, they sucked this season because they really did not try hard. In terms of comparisons to the previous 6 seasons, when McCray got dismissed, the rest of the team kept gighting but were overmatched. When Strawberry went down, the rest of the team kept fighting. We as fans may have been frustrated, and I myself was disappointed by the phone-it-in performances in the NITs as well (if thats where you are going, you might as well try and win it). But I don't recall the majority of a Terps team not playing hard and working to improve. We have definitely had individual players who were clearly not trying - Exree Hipp comes to mind, but even guys like T. Morris were still battling for rebounds when their shots weren't falling.

Roy Williams realizes he f*ed up this year and has said so. Calhoun has had similar seasons. Can't say that I can recall Coach K having similar seasons. The other contributing factor is that the ACC was stronger this year than most folks give it credit for. I think that will be proven come the dance. Still wasn't as bad as Matt Dougherty's last season of discontent for the Tar Heels. And next year they return a ton of experience and another all-star recruiting class so we should not get used to it.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 8, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

One final thing to celebrate in and of itself: The Terps went 5-3 on the road in the ACC this year. That is a phenomanal performance. Yes, going undefeated at home is more noteworthy, but winning like that on the road is huge. And now the team has a title and banner to show for it.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I want a Sweet 16 appearance. The ACC tourney doesn't matter to me.

Don't get me wrong, once the ball goes up I want to win, but the NCAA tourney is what matters.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | March 8, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse