Let's get together (final reminder)

Ok, so we're all set to meet up tonight at Hard Times in Bethesda at 7:30 p.m.

I'll be the one in the tan polo shirt who looks like he needs to have his ID re-checked. See you all there.

By Steve Yanda  |  April 7, 2010; 9:58 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greivis Vasquez presented with Cousy Award
Next: Terrapins well represented at Capital Classic

Comments

Yanda: I hope you have prepared your rebuttal to conspiracy theorists who believe the Washington Post beat reporters have nothing better to do than conspire in a vast plot to bring down UMd athletics. I would suggest preparing a PowerPoint presentation.

Posted by: aviscardo | April 7, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

...and bringing a can of mace.

Posted by: aviscardo | April 7, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Yanda will make it home tonight with his tan polo shirt still in good condition. If my plans change at the last minute, I'll try to stop by, but hope everyone who attends has a good time!

Posted by: Russtinator | April 7, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Have one for me!

I've got a family matter to deal with, so I hope that this isn't the last of these events!

Posted by: mabkhar | April 7, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I used to tend bar and I would definitely card Steve Y. Very young looking.

Posted by: erniegogo | April 7, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

It's time for an article to be written about how Gary deserves to have his contract extended. So many schools have extended contracts for coaches that did marginal jobs. We have the ACC coach of the year who did an awesome job and nothing as of yet. What's the problem? Name the court "Garyland"! A little respect for someone who has given so much to UMD is due.

Posted by: terp4ever | April 7, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I just happened to catch Leno's monologue tonight, something I never do usually. But am out of town visiting some older friends and they had it on.

About halfway in he launches into a bit I will roughly transcribe from memory.

"I was reading about one of the larger college basketball programs -- Maryland I think it was, yeah. They have an 8% graduation rate for players! And the 8% who DO graduate don't understand the meaning of 8%!"

Unbelievable how that slanderous crap just keeps getting regurgitated.

Posted by: jake177 | April 8, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Comedians never let facts get in the way of a good joke. It's unfortunate that the report focused on that particular period and didn't delve into the reasons for the low numbers. Makes me wonder if it was a freelance piece by a Wash Post sports writer.

Posted by: MrScrotums | April 8, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to Steve and all those who showed up last night - I always like to walk down memory lane and talk about Terps basketball.

As Terp4Ever above comment - since it's de Riguer to name home courts after coaches, I suppose it should be inevitable that Gary receive such an honor. Though I think it's a little awkward when we also have a National Title winning women's coach, and already had other coaching luminaries in Lefty and Chris Weller. I'm mixed.

Posted by: dlgood | April 8, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Living in NY I can't be there. Will be watching the Masters.

But I will be sorry if there isn't some discussion of the firing by Virginia od its coach for his poor record at the end of the season and in the tournament.

For you koolaid drinkers, I'm not calling for GW to be fired. He had a very good year. But let's face it, it's been 7 years with NOT ONE SWEET SIXTEEN!

Don't give me the cr*p about the last second Michigan shot. It's another year left holding the bag.

Maybe next year after they expand to 96 teams we will make the Sweet 32 by winning two games!!!

Have fun tonight and get Garo's autograph.

Posted by: petecard | April 8, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Now that 5 of Kentucky's underclassmen are leaving early, I wonder if we'll see their graduation rates reflected in studies done 7 years from now.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | April 8, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

For those of us who could not be there last night, will someone who was please give us a slightly more detailed report of what went down? Thanks!

Posted by: jake177 | April 8, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

We at buffalo wings, talked about the 3 part series briefly, talked about our incoming class, Cole Field House stories, J. Williams' prospects, all topped off by sh*tty service by our waitress. At least that was the first hour before I had to leave.

Posted by: fushezzi | April 8, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

we ate, not at

Posted by: fushezzi | April 8, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah next time let's do it at a different place. I liked their wings but the waitress was older than my grandma and the chili-tots were nasty (yet I kept eating them).

I'm thinking if we do this again it should be during football or basketball season, though Yanda's probably busier then I just think more people read this blog and are more interested during the season.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 8, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"Somehow, magically, it will come out that Coach Cal graduated 75% of his players during thise time period.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon "

I'm not certain that Cal's players can claim that as their HIGH SCHOOL graduation rate.

As for Wednesday night, I had good time meeting those of you that were there. It's nice to put faces to some of the opinions.

After Barno, fushezzi & jp left, it was pretty much crossfire. We probably could have gone all night. I do apologize for talking over people; I'll chalk that up to passion overtaking decorum.

And yes, the food was lousy.

Posted by: mabkhar | April 9, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

After Barno, jpf and fushezzi left, Steve did ask us a pointed question: "why do Terps fans have such an inferiority complex?" To be fair, those were not his exact words and were actually how one of us restated them. For me, when we won the NC, MD was on top of the world. We had a great football coach with a winning FB team, a couple of Nobel winners on the faculty and increasingly competitive admissions. We reached the pinnacle and we want to get back there in terms of BB. We expected much more from the recruiting classes immediately following the NC as they were the most heavily hyped that MD had ever gotten (although some of Lefty's recruiting classes certainly were more successful in hindsight). Someone pointed out that GW's underdog mentality could play a part as well. They indicated we look at ourselves (Terps) as underdogs whereas KY looks at the FF as their birthright. Another point made was competition in the area from the redskins, caps, etc.

Another discussion centered around Baltimore and how the Terps are baltimore's team even though the campus is located within the DC beltway. Moreso than the Caps and Wiz, baltimore follows the Terps - the Sun seems to have more Terps coverage than WaPo. Since more than a few of us remain Orioles fans (over the Nats) not such a big deal. The night we met at Bentley's i ran into a few folks I know who live in Hunt Valley (north of Baltimore) who came to CP to watch the Duke game at Bentley's. Now this does not hold true for Lax as all of the Baltimore colleges have competitive teams but certainly for college BB and FB, we are Baltimore's team.

As with all MD alumni get togethers, stories about parking tickets and where we were when we found out Bias had died were shared.

I agree a different venue would be preferable.

btw - I have no problem with DukeRulz bashing of me other than the allegation that I am a welch. many of us in the pool agreed that should Duke win the NC and DukeRulz win the pool (he did) then we would pay him with change over the next few weeks. You'll be pleased to know I only owe him $19.15 at this point and he should change his stupid screen name accordingly.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | April 9, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Yeah - "Inferiority Complex" might not have been the exact phrasing of the question - but it was certainly a point of the discussion. I know I'm certainly sitting as fan, constantly measuring Maryland against other teams and often feeling like we're not getting our due or not being as good as we're supposed to be, yada yada...

Which is kind of bad. It'd be easier to be a bit more apathetic or positive and just enjoy the ride. Which, for the most part - was what was so enjoyable about the ACC stretch of this season - because I did just drop expectations and watch the season.

And yeah, I can see how HGR felt about the post-championship recruiting and how hyped the 02 and 03 classes were, and the disappointment that came along. To me, though, I don't expect a lot of McD-All-Americans like Garrison and Mike Jones -- and I've been happy with the Profit and Rodney Elliot's of the world. Guys who weren't hyped but fit the system, and who you could make multiple Sweet 16s with. I was more upset by the lack of that type of core productive player - than by not getting the super-prep-stars.

And for the record - I thought the food was tolerable. Service stunk though.

Posted by: dlgood | April 10, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't think most MD fans feel inferior. Just the opposite, at least this year. Sure you want your team to be the best; sure you want to see it ranked higher. What fan of any team doesn't want that? Measuring your team against other teams is a huge part of watching sports.

I think the issue is more of a superiority complex by Post sports writers (cough-prisbell-cough) who don't like criticism of their half-assed reporting.

Posted by: MrScrotums | April 11, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry Hugh I'm still here. Just not much too say after yet another disappointing run in the tourney, though seeing the Terps live and in person was great.

I guess I could've copy/passted the same basic line again and again in the series of "season and player wrap up" posts but what's the point of that.

Hugh, looks like our beloved O's are already in midseason form, ugh..................

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 11, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't know whats harder - being an Os fan or being a Skins fan. Terps BB is infinitely more satisfying - the what-ifs from this last season notwithstanding.

glad you got to see them in person - I imagine Spokane is still a hike from SoCal. Am kind of disappointed about the lack of info from WaPo on Spring FB thus far.

And you nailed it on the Os - repeatedly not taking advantage of opportunities and stranding guys on 3rd base. The game today was exceptionally disappointing.

Regards-

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | April 11, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

It's tough being a fan of the O's and the Skins. The difference to me is that you can go watch the O's lose for ~$5, but have to pay ~$100 to watch the Skins lose. Also, Camden Yard > Fedex.

Posted by: acebojangles | April 12, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

There was a lot of talk by misguided MD alumni after the win over duke that MD students give the school a bad name with their "riots" and behavior towards police. Many of us who were there stood up for the students and pointed to the long history of police brutality in College park. We defended the events after the Duke win as a simple celebration that police escalated, and that it was in fact the police not the students who give the school a bad rep.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I give you Exhibit A in the case of MD students vs PG County police:

Posted by: Barno1 | April 13, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

It's really too bad U of M is in that hell hole called PG county.

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | April 13, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Not going to help with recruiting. The video is nationwide on CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/13/maryland.police.beating/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn).

Posted by: MrScrotums | April 13, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Yo Yanda...is there a plan to even mention spring football at some point? Seems hard to believe there isn't anything noteworthy going on over there with 10 practices already in the books. While the hoops story was a good ride, the Fridge is now on deck. Maybe we are all still in denial that he didn't get canned last year but I am at least curious about what is going on at QB and with the second installment of Don Brown's defense. Just a thought!

Posted by: goochlandterp | April 14, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Yanda: What happened at the event? You haven't posted since and it's been a week. Did you walk out of there saying, "I can't write for these losers?" I know from personal experience that Barno and Fushezzi have serious mental problems, but it couldn't have been that bad!

Posted by: aviscardo | April 14, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse