Maryland lands oral commitment from Sterling Gibbs

Maryland picked up its first oral commitment for the 2011 class Monday night when Seton Hall Prep (N.J.) point guard Sterling Gibbs gave his pledge to the Terrapins. Gibbs, a 6-foot, 170-pound junior, chose Maryland over a list of schools that included St. John's, Pittsburgh, Indiana, Rutgers and Seton Hall.

Gibbs is rated as a three-star recruit and the No. 22 point guard in his class by Scout.com. Rivals.com also lists Gibbs as a three-star recruit and the No. 135 overall prospect in the Class of 2011.

The younger brother of Pittsburgh guard Ashton Gibbs, Sterling Gibbs will help fill the void left by the departures of senior guards Greivis Vasquez and Eric Hayes. In 2011, Gibbs will join Pe'Shon Howard and Terrell Stoglin -- members of the 2010 class -- as point guard options for Maryland Coach Gary Williams.

According to a report on collegehoopsnet.com, former Maryland assistant Chuck Driesell played a role in the Terrapins' recruitment of Gibbs. But after committing to Maryland on Monday night, Gibbs told the Web site that Driesell's departure to take the head coaching job at The Citadel did not deter him from choosing the Terrapins.

"I knew that this was definitely where I wanted to be," Gibbs told collegehoopsnet.com. "At the end of the day, Coach Williams is the one making the subs."

By Steve Yanda  |  April 27, 2010; 8:19 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gary Williams on Chuck Driesell taking The Citadel job
Next: Catching up with Eric Hayes

Comments

-----------------------------
Now, what was so hard for him to pick UMD when you have those other "donkeys" wanting you?

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 27, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

PE1

Pittsburgh is a donkey?

Posted by: fushezzi | April 27, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

yes, it is...

Posted by: spqr2k | April 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fushezzi | April 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

count up tha 'chips fushezzi.......i'm just sayin

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 27, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

If chips refers to

Nat. Championships: Pitt 2 vs. UMD 1
Final Fours: UMD 2 vs. Pitt 1 (didnt have Final 4s during Pitts champ runs or they'd have 3)
Elite 8s: UMD 5 vs. Pitt 3
Sweet 16s: UMD 13 vs. Pitt 7

While the Terps come out ahead (and I'm a terps fan), Pitt is far from donkeys.

Posted by: fushezzi | April 27, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Sterling! An excellent choice! Welcome!

Posted by: charles20001 | April 27, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

A lot of bickering over Pitt. Look at the rest of the schools interested; they qualify as donkeys.

Posted by: jpfterps | April 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Come on Jpfterps. St. Johns now that they've hired Steve Lavin can no longer be considered a donkey. Indiana, while they have had several down years of late, are still one of the top 10 most famed programs in college basketball (if not top 5). Seton Hall and Rutgers are both Big East schools.

Point is, it's not like we were competing with UNC-Ashville or Salisbury State. There really is no need to knock this recruit based on the other schools we were competing with.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 27, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes, St. Johns, Rutgers and Seton Hall have all had hard times in the last decade or so, and you can't blame a kid for wanting to consider the local options. SJU just picked up Steve Lavin, and Seton Hall had to get rid of Bobby "thinks-he's-Knight" Gonzalez.

But Indiana is still among College Hoops royalty, and that uniform is treated as if it came down the mountain with Moses in that state. That we got a guy away from them and away from a solid Pitt program is no small victory. Especially when you consider that he's coming here to compete with two other guys for PT.

I don't know enough to say that he's a world-beater, but he can't be that bad. This is for the class of 2011. Maybe as the No. 135 recruit in the country, we could do better. But it's 18 months before he sees the inside of Comcast and who nows what we'll have then.

The first thing went across my mind was it's now even-stevens for Pitt getting Juan Dixon's little bro.

Posted by: mabkhar | April 27, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"Can we be a donkey too? I'd like 9 Straight NCAA tourny appearances. I'd like 5 Sweet 16's in the last 8 years and an elite 8."

If you're refering to Pitt, then how about NO CHAMPIONSHIPS! As a MD alum...yes, that schools is a donkey.

Posted by: leo25 | April 27, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really care who he was recruited by? I certainly don't. I care that Gary Williams recruited him and is excited to get him. That, to me, speaks volumes. I think he knows a bit about judging talent.

Posted by: charles20001 | April 27, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Jamie Dixon's cousin lives in my neighborhood, hometown witheld.

She is really nice, and says that he always says nice respctful things about Terps. Holds Terps and program in high regard. I am kinda in her face about the Terps and I see her often, always in good taste.

Therefore, Pitt is ok.

Posted by: reindeerterp | April 27, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"DONKEYS?"

how imbecilic!

despite the fact that i had a former boss (a WVU graduate) who's favorite phrase was "If you can't go to college, go to Pitt!", every one of those other programs, except Rutgers, has a proud history of success in NCAA basketball. the sport is cyclic. different schools rise and fall all of the time. do y'all remember exactly who the Terps beat to win their championship.

it really is beginning to sadden me that the only way so many other Terps fans can figure to build themselves up is to tear everyone else down.

pathetic!

Posted by: mdrockjock | April 27, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

According to Rivals.com, the list of other schools that were interested in Gibbs include:

Virginia
Wake Forest
Florida
Connecticut
Depaul
Villanova
Notre Dame

What a bunch of donkeys

Posted by: Barno1 | April 27, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

You yahoos are disparaging a 16 year old kid. How about getting a life? This looks like a solid recruit for Gary.

Posted by: randysbailin | April 28, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

rockjock...you always rip the terps...seen you on all the Hoya pages so we know your agenda

Posted by: TerpfanMA | April 28, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Nice work from Gary. Have we given him a coach-for-life contract yet?

Posted by: shanks1 | April 28, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

another ho hum recruit for Barno to praise now and then we when go out in the round of 32 or miss the tourney his senior year Barno will wax poetically about us overachieving and Gary reaching deep.

Posted by: restonhoops | April 28, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Leo....pitt actually has 2 national championships.

Restonhoops....I bet if Gibbs had committed to Nova, Uconn or Florida you would've complained that Gary got outrecruited, yet again. I've been relatively quiet and unassuming regarding your constant criticism but have come to realize you're going to find something wrong with any situation. Enjoy that black cloud you call your life.

Posted by: fushezzi | April 28, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

our recruiting has been sub par for years. Our building of relationships within the Baltimore-Tidewater area is horrid. It's been blamed on our musical chairs game of assistant coaches the last 8 years or so and it looks like with CD leaving abruptly that excuse will linger on. Do you think this years incoming class is stellar Fuzzi? Where will they lead us? Do you see a Top 10 ranking in our future? Do tell.

Posted by: restonhoops | April 28, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

To Fuzzi and Barno and all the FOGs I just ask how long should MD go between legit Top 10 teams. Let's say that means you need to be ranked in the Top 10 half the year. Should that be every couple years? Once a decade? What works for you?

Posted by: restonhoops | April 28, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

How about legit Top 20 teams? Again let's make being ranked in the Top 20 half the year the criteria. I would say we should be a Top 20 team 3 out of 4 years and a Top 10 team 1 out of 4 years. Unless I'm mistaken you have to go back to 02 to find a MD team that qualifies even as a Top 20 team. The upcoming season is the 10-11 season and the draught is likely to continue, but it's all good in Garyland!!!! woo hoo!

Posted by: restonhoops | April 28, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Well a legit top 20 team - to me - equates as ending the year as on of the top 20 teams. Not an irrelevant "half the year" criteria. And by my criteria that would mean we were top 20 this year and 06-07.

Regardless I think the incoming class will compliment J. Williams quite well.

Posted by: fushezzi | April 28, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

GW has always done an excellent job of maximizing the talents of his players. And he has never been able to land elite recruiting classes. This has not changed since GW came to MD. MD slipped in the 2004-2006 years. These years coincided with bad point guards. Gilchrist-erratic, McCray-stupid or lazy (take your pick) and Strawberry (played out of position). Bad recruiting that coincided with staff turnover.

I don't understand why Reston is so obsessed with getting rid of GW or seeing him change. The NC was won with the level of players that have come in in recent years and are lined up to come in (J. Williams,Padgett, Stoglin, Pe'Shon, Parker, Pankey, Paulson and Gibbs) The only reasonable expectation is to expect less misses like Goins, Choi and Dupree which would give us a deeper team.

As far as this year goes, we were made a luckey shot (Tucker's) on our way to the ACC co-championship shared with the eventual NC. We were on the worng end of a lucky shot that kept us from the Seet 16 and realistically the Elite 8. I don't understand how you could be seriously disappointed with this year's team?

It wasn't until the Wash Times reported on the disparity between the women's program and the men's program...the women's assisitant coaches were actually paid MORE...that the men's staff payroll was increased. Maybe if Dr. Yow approves a reasonable slary for GW's recruiting coordinator, GW can bring in somebody that can improve MD's recruitng even more than we have seen in recent years. For those who want to get rid of GW, I think Dr. Yow is a more appropriate target for your vitriole than GW.

Posted by: larry31 | April 28, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs is on Team USA and his brother just had a great year at PITT. Everyone says he is just like his brother who was also a 3 star recruit. Don't get carried away by stars...the kid can ball! Nice Pick up

Posted by: beas13 | April 28, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Do you think this years incoming class is stellar Fuzzi?

Posted by: restonhoops | April 28, 2010 12:27 PM |

It is the 21st ranked recruiting class in the country. I wouldn't say stellar but it's pretty damn good.

Posted by: beas13 | April 28, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mabkhar | April 27, 2010 1:56 PM

First thought I had too mabkhar. What bigs do we have targeted for 2011?

A real interesting question for me is "Which other schools offered Juan Dixon a scholarship?" Or Lonny Baxter. I knew Blake chose us over NC State and a few others based on the ability to play immediately. I remember Holden was a hyped recruit, but Wilcox was not.

Anyone know where Goins ate lunch today?

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | April 28, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

HGR,

That is my point: GW has not slipped in recruiting. Two straight FFs and a NC were done with basically the same level of recruits that we are currently getting.

My question to the Gary-haters is "what has changed that has caused you to want to get rid of GW?". The ugly 3 year stretch (2004-2006) was a while ago.

As a side note: JT3 at G-town has used his daddy's and Nike's connections to get some serious recruits. However, he has not seen much success when it counted (no tourney in 2009 and an ugly loss to a 14 seed in the first round in 2010). I think JT3 has to decide whether to go after the best players possible and deal with the necessary consequence of having to coddle them or go after players that will sacrifice themsleves to win. I don't think uber-talented 18 year old players are going to have the patience or time to learn an intricate and tedious Princeton offense. I think JT3 has to either change his recruiting tactics or change his offense. Until then, I think his teams will continually under achieve.

Posted by: larry31 | April 28, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Larry -

JT3 did get a FF out of them a few years ago and though I'm not certain I believe he has either won or taken them to a BE tourney championship. I don't get into comparing GTown and MD; I actually wish the Hoyas the best (except when it comes to local recruits both teams are targeting).

Now getting the AAU 5-star studs is competitive and seems to be monopolized by the KYs, UNCs, UConns of the world. Yes I prefer the 4-year guys over the one-and-dones, but if JW leaves after two or three, I'll still be glad he came to MD.

Regardless, would like to see a few more bigs commit, and if we don't have a Juco xfer with the available scholarship, then I'm hoping that one of the existing bigs (Burney or Goins) can step up and play - even if only in practice. The Michigan State game was lost on rebounding margin moreso than a lucky shot (ok, more like a lucky pass to a lucky shot) and that has been a consistent weakness of our teams for the last couple of years.

Disagree with restonhoops on last season - it was a great exciting season and other folks who have battled with the proud FOGs - namely Petecard (cautiously and Poopy - were excited and relishing it as well. Then again, I've asked Restonhoops about his MD experience (when did he attend, where did he live, etc.) and he has never responded. I've figured he went to Mason (where there are more than a few MD haters) or something. He's never joined in with the celebratory remarks after a big win (Poopy and Petecard have done so and Barno has made it a point to remind them of other earlier remarks, yet they have done so again). Maybe one of the more talented board members could dig through and post one positive statement he has made about the program. Petecard in particular has expressed the high expectations he has for the program (and I forgive him the character flaw he has of being a Yankee fan) - what he wants is to see MD win. Poopy has too. They may argue about GW's effectiveness based on recent results, but they want to see the team win and post remarks celebrating the big ones.

Am waiting for Restonhoops to post anything positive about the program - ever. Seriously, restonhoops - where were you when we won the NC? Who is your favorite all-time MD player? Do you consider GV one of the all-time greats? Greatest MD game you have seen?

Just asking. And if you have posted anything positive about the program, please forgive me - I must have missed it.

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | April 29, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

HGR,

I stand corrected about JT3 and his FF. However, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the kids that he did it with. My main point was that certain kids are going to fit into certain programs and just going after the most talented kids isn't going to work. Consider the opposite ends of the spectrum:

Bob Knight was such a rigid disciplinarian that he severely limited the players that he could bring into his program at IU.

On the other hand, we have Calipari who basically promises that you only have to stay one year and thereby only have to stay academically eligible for one semester. In his system, you can't coach a complex system and you have to coddle these future NBA lottery picks for fear of brusiing their huge fragile egos. I think Kentucky has also qualified to compete in the NBA Developmental League.

The coach who has done the best at walking the fine line of bringing in top players that are willing to stay 3-4 years and be coached is Roy Williams...although his game-day coaching leaves a little to be desired.

Regarding Reston, I agree. He disappears when things are going well, unlike Pete and Poop who celebrate the teams successes.

And let me take a moment to give Pete some props. He was outspoken in his criticism of GV. GV returned to win ACC POY and the Bob Cousy award. Pete said he was "WRONG"...in all caps if I recall correctly. Let's face it...not even the eternal oprtimist Barno predicted GV would win the ACC POY AND the Bob Cousy Award. So, to a certain extent, we were all wrong about GV.

Posted by: larry31 | April 29, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Larry -

I'd put coach k the ratface up there as well for coaches that get great recruits that stay for 3+ years. Not many of his recruits have been one and done - the only one that comes to mind for me is Cory Maggette.

Not soon enough to start talking FB this year. Will be a telling year for Fridge's program. Just like no one predicted GV's emergence, no one predicted 2-10 last season. Not sure that we had seasons like that under Krivak or Duffner.

I agree Pete deserves some props for returning to the board. and the real Poopy as well. The only posters that truly bug me are the fake posters (OGBarno and hyphen Poop). I do like the way reston's typical posts inspire responses from the crowd (although I typically disagree with their content); I just have a hard time believing he has ever pulled for MD ever.

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | April 29, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd be willing to bet money Restonhoops does not have a diploma from UMD, so don't hold your breath Hugh.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 29, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

MD finished the year ranked 18th in the country. And the team that ended our season on a shot that took more time after the inbounds than the clock allowed for...well, they finished the year 4th in the nation. Oh what a crappy year, eh Poopy, Reston, Petecard? Let's fire Gary for only having a top 20 season.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 29, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Coach k the ratface? I love it. Why did that little bit of inspiration never come to me before. I despise him, but he does seem to get people that stay at least 3-4 years, and that always puts his team in the mix in the top 10.

That's why I'm not as concerned about not getting the bluest of the blue chip recruits. One and done, two and done, and where does that leave you?

Speaking of players not staying as long as they should have, remember the Terps w/ Steve Francis? If that son of a gun had stayed with the team, can you imagine what they could have done with a developing group of underclassmen -- the ones that won it all a couple of years later. Damn, how incredible would it have been to be able to hang another championship banner from the rafters? What could have been...

Posted by: g-man | April 29, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in MD and my roots with MD hoops goes back to the Buck Williams, Albert King, and Dutch Morley teams :-) I doubt very many Gary fans on the board even remember obscure players from the 70s.

We had an ok year this year. We played well in a horrid ACC this year. You started to see the results of that with the rash of firings and I think you ultimately see new head coaches in a couple other places next year in the ACC. Out of conference with a junior and senior led team we didn't measure up. We lost in the round of 32. Big deal. You know who is happy with losing in the round of 32 with a senior and junior led team and one of the "top 5 players in school history"? Losers that's who. Maybe like Northwestern or a mid major like Richmond would be excited about losing in the round of 32 and once again leaving the ACC tourney early. Keep waiting for Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, and Lonnie Baxter to all come to MD again at the same time like a perfect storm. My prediction is Gary Will be here another 5-6 years do nothing special and basically make the 99-02 strech really look like an aberation on his record of being a solid, consistant coach. Our 21rst ranked class is mostly that high because of volume. It's also the 7th ranked class in the ACC. Again the facts are the facts. Teams like Texas, Xavier, Villanova, Butler, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh have all passed MD in national significance, on the court and recruiting success. These are not names like Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, Kentucky, and Kansas. The fact is Gary is a lousy and lazy recruiter who likes to complain about not being able to compete with the big boys. We are ideally positioned to be stocked with talent every year and just don't. I look forward to the day we have a coach that puts as much effort in off the court as he does yelling at the players during the game.

Posted by: restonhoops | April 29, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

BTW I was way out in front on GV. I thought he was good enough to go pro last spring. (I'm not sure why he's still not getting NBA love) He did lay an egg in the early part of the season, but he got his sea legs and laid it on as the season went on. He did so much for us I think we struggle for awhile next year as everyone was so reliant on GV.

Posted by: restonhoops | April 30, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA

talking out your bunghole?

i'd like you to point to a post of mine, where i ripped the Terps. i'll be the first to admit that i rip the panty-wearing variety of Terps fans that seem to gravitate to TI and i will frequently rip the guys writing TI for not covering more of the Terps sports than football & basketball. however, i don't rip the Terps as a matter of habit.

i grew up in White Oak. i attended high school with the Ward & Driesell kids. my baby brother went to UMD and had Tom McMillan in a few of his classes. Jim O'Brien (aka Bozo) was the star for the Terps in the first college basketball game i attended.

but, here is the part that may be difficult for a dimwit to wrap his head around. more than the Terps, i'm a geographic homer. i attended a college in NM that did not participate in varsity sports at all. as a result, i embrace and root for all of the teams in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area. i, also, find it unnecessary to tear down other programs in order to root for the teams i like.

i know its a novel

Posted by: mdrockjock | April 30, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Reston,

Awesome to hear the love for GV. As a frosh, I knew he would be a 3-year starter. During his sophomore year, I often wondered if he was doing more harm than good. He improved alot during his junior season, most notably his assist to turnover ratio, his outside shot was still a little suspect. Anybody who didn't see him as one of the top point guards in the league wasn't paying attention to the details of his game. I officially jumped on the GV bandwagon during his junior season in February of 2009.

Unlike HGR, I knew you were a Terps fan because you routinely showed high regard for Lefty. Forgive my speculation, but I assume that you were 18 years old (give or take 5 years) when MD had its most talented (and possibly best team) lose to NC St. in what might be the best college basketball game ever.

Your affinity for Lefty and disdain for GW, I think, is two fold: Lefty's brilliant and affable personality makes GW seem downright dour...even though GW is a pretty funny guy. Also, Lefty had his greatest teams during your formative years, so those teams are naturally remebered with greater fondness.

I was a MD student during the 80's. I felt Lefty had run his course at MD by the early to mid-80s because he was a great recruiter who had a rep as an average coach, which, in turn, affected his recruiting. Thus, by this time, he was no longer considered a great recruiter. Bias definitely flew under the radar and I don't think Lefty ever recovered (emotionally or professioanlly) after losing Moses Malone to the pros.

Posted by: larry31 | April 30, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW Reston,

I agree that GW did catch lightning in a bottle because he had the all-time MD points leader (Juan) and all-time MD assist leader (Blake) on the same team for 3 years. However, Howard, Stoglin and Gibbs are equally talented recruits.

The key for GW isn't getting a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits, it's minimizing the misses and near misses. We needed more rebounding from the 4 position this year (dino and Landon). Next year, we will probably take a step back (depending on how quickly Stoglin and Howard develop) because AB and CT have yet to show that they can consistly lead a team...and guard play is crucial in ACC play.

The difference between good and Top 10 is two players in the rotation that need to be good as opposed to adequate.

Posted by: larry31 | April 30, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Hah! What a shocker that BY FAR the biggest hater of Gary Williams and this program on this blog did not even attend UMD. I know I am just stunned to read Restonhoop admitting he was never a Terp.

Since you have no connection to UMD other than once living in the same state, and since you despise OUR legendary and future hall of fame Gary Williams so much, why don't you just pick another team to "root" for, eh Reston?

Posted by: Barno1 | May 2, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

good to hear that reston is a fan of the team - I had not noticed any love for Lefty in his previous posts. I was a kid during those great 1970s teams; the funny thing is, my dad and I bought walk-up tix to see the Bullets vs. the Sonics in consecutive finals. You could not by a ticket to Buck/Albert/Gene vs. UNC back then. MD BBall definitely outshown the Bullets and in my opinion still outshines the Wiz - even the Webber/Howard teams - to this day.

In terms of GW vs Lefty - imho GW clearly has had far more success with the program, albei with a longer run than Lefty had even with the probation years. That said both were polarizing figures. for those of us who loved Lefty, there were an equal number of folks on campus complaining about him (prior to Bias' demise). He did invent Midnight Madness, forced the issue of the shot clock, and indirectly led the expansion of the NCAA tournament. He also got to the elite 8 once and won an ACC tounrament while I was in school. I do not blame him for the Bias tragedy. I don't blame brian tribble either. I blame Len Bias. Does not change the scope or cruel nature of the tragedy, but no one forced him to put it up his nose.

I agree with larry's lightning in a bottle assessment on GW. holding less regarded overachievers for four years and riding them to b2b FFs is not something thats easily repeated. but it is GW's formula for success, and frankly given the head case nature of some of the big name recruits we have lost out on recently, I think it works better for our program.

I do agree with Petecard and Reston in that it seems reasonable that MD would get more of the top tier players (5-star, McD AAs) and ride them to the promised land. But when we did get them (Gilchrist, garrison, et al) it did not work out as we had planned. From the outside, it does seem that GW is not a fan of the recruiting responsibility his job entails - certainly not when it comes to dealing with "handlers" and such. Lefty seemed to relish landing the huge recruit - McMillan, Elmore, Lucas, Albert, Buck, Gene, Branch, etc. Nonetheless, I am optimistic about the recent signings and the prospect of multiple PGs coming in while we still have the post presence of JW. That said, we need another big to emerge.

One final point - I'm not sure that GW has ever landed a top-rated other than Garrison. Please someone comment on this - Joe Smith, Lonny, Wilcox were kind of no names coming in. Maybe Fofana or Ekezie?

On that note - any news on Goins and what he had for lunch today?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | May 3, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

One final point - I'm not sure that GW has ever landed a top-rated BIG other than Garrison. Please someone comment on this - Joe Smith, Lonny, Wilcox were kind of no names coming in. Maybe Fofana or Ekezie?

----------

My bad - My question is - which of the bigs we have had on the team under GW came in hyped?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | May 3, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if you consider Booth a "big"--he did play the 4, but was undersized--but he was a very highly touted recruit out of Bmore. Terrence Morris was also essentially a blue chipper, and though he was raw, Wilcox came in highly regarded. Gus Gilchrist was a big time recruit, but we know how that turned out. And yeah, Garrison was All American.

As for other All Americans that didn't live up the hype: Danny Miller, Ibekwe, Mike Jones, all come to mind. Which is why it is so mind-boggling that guys like Petecard and Restonhoops keep demanding we recruit high school All Americans. Gary's has a very long history of doing much better with the mid level recruits than with the type of "elite" recruits they keep demanding. Which can only lead observers to assume that the Petecards and Restonhoops of the fan base either suffer from amnesia, or are complete morons. Maybe it's both?

Posted by: Barno1 | May 3, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Because GW is so demanding of his players, they usually reach their max potential. The consequence is that he is limited to recuiting hard-nosed, hungry kids, not uber-talented prima donnas. This is the same problem that Bobby Knight faced at Indiana where he had plenty of critics. Note that Indiana has not been the same school since Bobby Knight left, nor has NC St been to the NCAA tourney since they ran Herb Sendek out of town.

This is the exact fate that I fear MD will experience if GW is run out of town. I have no faith that Dr. Yow will commit enough resources to the program to hire a better coach than GW or a better coaching staff. BTW, I don't feel that GW deserves to be sent packing. I am just evaluating an alternative scenario.

Posted by: larry31 | May 4, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse